GoGamer Aion Madness

Wow nice -- I almost broke down and bought STALKER yesterday for $20 -- glad I waited.

Company of Heroes for $10 is tempting, too. I'm not much of an RTS guy, but I've heard such good things about it ...

[quote name='Nohbdy']Aion already retails at $40 elsewhere. What is GG trying to pull?[/QUOTE]

Where is it retailed at $40 dollars? (No seriously, I wanna preorder a copy, looking for the best deal :whistle2:D)

[quote name='Nameless600']Where is it retailed at $40 dollars? (No seriously, I wanna preorder a copy, looking for the best deal :whistle2:D)[/QUOTE]

The price has gone up over the last few weeks or so. Amazon and Gamestop were having it at $40 but no longer.

I'm getting the Aion LE for $40 because I traded in a few games.

Aion for $39.99? It retails for this elsewhere? Well no matter, tempting.
151l1259.jpg

[quote name='Nohbdy']The price has gone up over the last few weeks or so. Amazon and Gamestop were having it at $40 but no longer.

I'm getting the Aion LE for $40 because I traded in a few games.[/QUOTE]

I have been watching this title for the last 4 weeks, and I don't think Amazon, or EB has been at $39.99.

[quote name='jezz.torrent']Wow nice -- I almost broke down and bought STALKER yesterday for $20 -- glad I waited.

Company of Heroes for $10 is tempting, too. I'm not much of an RTS guy, but I've heard such good things about it ...[/QUOTE]

STALKER was $3 shipped (OEM) from newegg a while back. I picked it up then. Got maybe 60% through it but glitches kept holding me back and eventually I gave up on it. Same thing happened with Turok for PS3. I enjoyed it enough to play the whole thing but it saved a checkpoint while I was crouching under a part of the map I apparently shouldn't have been in, so when I reloaded that checkpoint I was stuck. It was start over from the very beginning or give up, and I gave up.

That was off topic.

Company of Heroes is well worth $10. It's an excellent game. It's not very similar in play style to traditional RTSs like Starcraft, Warcraft, C&C. It's more about micromanagement, positioning, and harrassment. Give it a shot if you're into strategy games at all.

Also, I think I do remember Aion having a $40 preorder, but that was at least two months ago. Regardless, I preordered it for $50 from Gamestop so I could get it at release. I'm very much looking forward to it.

[quote name='jonathanp']Never heard of this game.

Is it any good?[/QUOTE]

I have a couple of coworkers who are doing the closed beta tests for Aion and are enjoying it...the game has already been released in Asia and they say the gameplay for the beta is very clean and polished so far. If you pre-order a copy you are supposed to get a closed beta key from the retailer to test it out before it goes live stateside. I pre-ordered a copy from Amazon recently to test it out too (I figure if it sucks really badly or doesn't run on my PC I could be a jerk and just cancel the pre-order.)

Once I get my beta key and participate in the next beta event rest assured, I will be posting reviews here on CAG. It should be interesting because it looks like half the game is going to be based around PVP, and I am not a PVP player at all. But hey, I'm going to give it a go, even if I do die alot.

[quote name='Esoteria']STALKER was $3 shipped (OEM) from newegg a while back. [/QUOTE]

I think that was Stalker: Clear Sky, the sort-of expansion pack -- at least I know I bought Clear Sky from Newegg at that price some time ago, maybe they've had both on sale. Anyway, I never ended up installing Clear Sky as I read so many bad things about it and decided that I should jump into the series from the beginning. If you fancy giving Stalker another chance, I hear there are mods and unofficial patches that fix a lot of the bugs, particularly in the original game.

I ended up getting Company of Heroes, as I had been meaning to try it for a while. I really like the concept behind RTSes, and I've enjoyed quite a few, its just that I'm so bad at them. We'll see how far I can get before the game just overwhelms me. For $10 it should be worth it.

Also, for any strategy gamers out there, the Homeworld games are awesome. Although I again could not finish them -- and they're supposedly pretty easy for strategy vets. Too bad the copy of Homeworld 1 that GoGamer is selling is just the jewel case -- that game had one of the best manuals I've ever seen for a game.

Thanks to GoGamer for all the PC love you give on this fairly console-centric site!

[quote name='freedomexplosions']Aion for $39.99? It retails for this elsewhere? Well no matter, tempting.
151l1259.jpg
[/QUOTE]After shipping you might as well buy it from somewhere else like Amazon if you have free two day shipping for maybe 2 or 3 bucks more.

[quote name='silent h3ro']After shipping you might as well buy it from somewhere else like Amazon if you have free two day shipping for maybe 2 or 3 bucks more.[/QUOTE]

as long as you have a pre-sell key code you don't need to worry about shipping brcause they will allow you to access the site for a few days until you receive the game.

Thats part of the advantage of the pre-sell, along with beta access, free in game item and you get first crack at picking you characters name.

bread's done
Back