Blue Toad Murder Files - PSN Episodic Adventure Series - Eps 1-3 on March 25 - $14.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
bleltsoadlogo.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/14/relentless-software-penning-the-blue-toad-murder-files-for-psn/

Murder! Frogs! Relentless Software, most famous for its work on the Buzz! games, is branching off into quite a different project. Appearing exclusively on the PlayStation Network, the Blue Toad Murder Files is an episodic murder mystery adventure. Details are slim, but the game's official site promises that "mysteries" will be "revealed" in September.

This is Relentless' first self-published game, and the team is clearly excited to work on a non-trivia project. Executive Director, David Amor, told us, "We're really excited to be self publishing this. The murder mystery genre has been a staple in TV, books and movies for years and we think we've come up with a great videogame interpretation." If it's like Professor Layton meets ... uh, murder, we're game.
Not much in the way of details outside of the basic premise.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/blue-toad-murder-files-coming-to-psn-thursday-march-25/
Hello fellow sleuths. We’ve received quite a few enquires and comments about when we’ll be releasing Blue Toad Murder Files in North America, so I’m pleased to let you know that Episodes 1 to 3 will be available on the PlayStation Store on Thursday, March 25. Episodes 1, 2 and 3 will be available as a bundle for $14.99 or you can buy individual episodes for $7.49.

For anyone who doesn’t know much about Blue Toad Murder Files: The Mysteries of Little Riddle, the game is a six-episode murder mystery exclusively for PSN. Set in the quaint English village of Little Riddle, you play as one of four members of the Blue Toad Detective Agency. Can you follow the clues and find the murderer? With each step of the investigation a puzzle is played and further clues about the case are revealed. Pay attention to what transpires – you will regularly be questioned on your knowledge of the case, and only observant detectives will learn the truth behind the events of the day.

We’re a British studio, best known for developing Buzz!, and Blue Toad Murder Files is our first self-published game. We’re really excited to hear what everyone thinks about it. I’ll be here for the next couple of hours (time difference permitting), so please let me know if you have any comments on thoughts. Thanks!

Who else is getting this title next Thursday? This looks like a Prof. Layton-ish game for PS3. :D

Have there been any reviews or impressions that are close to a review? I would really love this to be worthwhile. But I haven't heard much on its quality.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Have there been any reviews or impressions that are close to a review? I would really love this to be worthwhile. But I haven't heard much on its quality.[/QUOTE]

They've been releasing them in the UK for a couple months now so there's reviews up from there. The reviews seem pretty mixed for it. $15 for the bundle seems a fair price though.

coool, I love episodic content, especially adventure stuff like this. $15 seems a little price for 3 episodes but then again I am a cheapass.

Well, from what I can gather, it's similar to Professor Layton. A series of puzzles with an underlying mystery plot. I love Professor Layton, so I'll probably give this a shot.

Bumping this up not only for its release later today, but also for the news of when the last batch of episodes will be out (April 29 for episodes 4-6).

I've only played the first episode so far and mostly agree with it. There's zero replay value to make a second playthrough anything but boring if you miss any of the trophies. It's somewhat entertaining, but from the guys behind Buzz, it's disappointing that they couldn't make a good, funny co-op murder mystery game. The funniest part of the episode I played is that the boy genius you could play as is named Richard Dickens (Dick Dickens).

Hmm, I haven't had time to play this yet. I'm still interested in the game. Prof. Layton doesn't have much replay value either, but that's just the genre of game it is. It is kind of disappointing that it has some technical problems, but I'll still give it a shot.

I bought all 3 episodes b/c you save $7 that way. So I hope's fun at least for the 1st go 'round.

Picked it up in a gameshare group, played a couple minutes.. not quite sure what I think of it. The cutscenes were kind of annoying, maybe it was just that time of the day and the uncomfortable heat tho.

[quote name='jh6269']Hmm, I haven't had time to play this yet. I'm still interested in the game. Prof. Layton doesn't have much replay value either, but that's just the genre of game it is. It is kind of disappointing that it has some technical problems, but I'll still give it a shot.

I bought all 3 episodes b/c you save $7 that way. So I hope's fun at least for the 1st go 'round.[/QUOTE]
The difference is that Professor Layton takes tens of hours to beat and offers a lot of puzzles to solve and stuff to collect to make it worth the price.

Has anyone enjoyed this game? Every review seems to comment on its length (an hour an ep) and pricetag. But with it on sale this week, it might be worth it now. Is it fun? What's up with this?

Thanks in advance.

bread's done
Back