"Damaged" Wii game instruction manuals

'Cube Daddy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Kind of an weird thread, I know, but what's with the instruction manuals being so mangled and bent up this console generation? I've owned NES, Genesis, GCN and Wii over the years, and it seems to me like this is a new phenomenon. So many of the Wii games I have purchased have had the pages of their instruction booklets damaged in one way or another. I didn't see this with GCN games. I guess I'm just ranting because I like to keep my games and their packaging in top notch condish...

Anyone else out there annoyed by this? Has anyone else even noticed?

Are is this problem you're having with factory sealed games or used games you've purchased? I've bought both and had no problem. Most gamers don't even seem to touch the instruction manuals.

Yeah, I should have clarified that it is with NEW games. The way it looks is that the machine that inserts the manuals into the case is crumpling the edge of the booklet. Some have been pristine, others look terribly crumpled. Meh...

I hear ya, 'Cube Daddy. A vast majority of Wii cases have those clips on the inner spine to hold second disc tray, and I've noticed that they can damage the open edge of the instruction booklet, sometimes leaving the edges damn near in tatters. I've also seen this with some PS2 and Xbox 360 games; PSP, PS3, and DS games seem relatively unaffected. (And, yes, I'm speaking about new, sealed games.)

I just try to straighten out the bent/torn pages the best that I can and move on with my life.

Every other Wii game I have has the manual dented by those 2 teeth protrusions on the top and bottom of the inside case.

That's insane... I never realized that it was those tab things doing it, but you're totally right. I'm going to send Nintendo another email telling them about this and asking them to stop using these cases. I just bought Twilight Princess and, since I'm in Canada, received an English and French manual. The French one took the bullet for the English one and looks like absolute hell for it. Damn... Thanks a lot, siderealshift and Mad D.

Those two protrusions totally took a bite out of my Brawl manual. I ended up buying a new manual from Nintendo when I needed other accessories. >_< The cases haven't caused me any trouble otherwise. Seems to only damage the manual if handled roughly such as during shipment. I definitely prefer these cases over the non-button Gamecube cases.

When you received your new Brawl manual, did it look new? I ordered Brawl and Galaxy and they both looked sub-par. They didn't have the damaged pages from being in cases, but the covers weren't 'new' looking at all. I'm trying one more time, ordering two of the same to see if I can get a nice looking Galaxy manual.

I've been looking through the sea of used Galaxy games at EB and every one of the manuals have been damaged the same way, in varying degrees. This sort of nonsense has really ramped up my CAGness. I refuse to pay full price for something that is going to look like ass when I open it. Suddenly, gutted games that I can inspect first are looking more appealing, and that's just plain wrong.

This has happened to me since last gen. I used to get stares when I came back to exchange Xbox (1) games because of damaged manuals; it's my shit, and I want it pristine.

This just happened with a copy of Fallout 3: GotY edition I just purchased. Thankfully (and sadly) the only Wii game I had this problem with was the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Just checked my Wii games and they don't look bad except for being a little 'wavy' from being pressed down by the two clips and having a crap ton of advertisements in there.

To be honest, I have a minor case of 'needs to be completitis" myself but it's not like I ever look at the manual.. I just feel like something is off and the game case is extra light when I pick it up lol

LostRoad - Thanks for the site. I'll have a look.

lolwut? - That's amazing that you took the games back. Did they honour your request for the return? Oh, and I've heard others say the same about their Trilogy manual. Sorry.

QiG - I think the 'crap ton' of ads actually help keep the booklet in place, reducing the chance that they'll get gnawed on by those damned clip things.

Ha! So I'm not the only one bothered by this. Yeah, I'd say about 4 or 5 of my games (across 360 and Wii) have damaged manuals. It doesn't bug me much at all, since I care more about the condition of the cases. It's still a little annoying though.

[quote name='poison_SHADOW']
It doesn't bug me much at all, since I care more about the condition of the cases. It's still a little annoying though.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad that someone else recognizes that it's what's on the outside that counts. :applause:

Upon opening my games, I immediately take out anything which is not the manual and store it in the closet or recycle it. Maybe this is why my manuals are still fine inside the case.

However, my wife did let my 8 month old daughter "read" my Super Mario Galaxy manual while changing her diaper. Cover came separated from the book. I was a little miffed at that one!

^^It could be worse. I have a Mario World + All Stars manual from the SNES that is literally held together with tape and extra staples.

[quote name='Chronis']^^It could be worse. I have a Mario World + All Stars manual from the SNES that is literally held together with tape and extra staples.[/QUOTE]

Old school FTW

I never noticed that... now it's gonna irritate me. I actually noticed that PSP games have the same problem. The damage gets worse as the game ages.

[quote name='Chronis']^^It could be worse. I have a Mario World + All Stars manual from the SNES that is literally held together with tape and extra staples.[/QUOTE]

My OoT manual is almost creased beyond recognition: that's what happens when you have a cardboard case flap "poking" into the manual every time you open it.

[quote name='Mad D']Every other Wii game I have has the manual dented by those 2 teeth protrusions on the top and bottom of the inside case.[/QUOTE]

Exactly... this irritates the hell out of me since I am a collector and want my games, case AND manuals in pristine condition. That's why I never by used or Gamestop "new" games...

My history of Mario book from the Super mario all stars collection came crumpled, so i'm there with ya guys, first time i've had a manual damaged in a new copy of a game.

[quote name='hawkhogan']My history of Mario book from the Super mario all stars collection came crumpled, so i'm there with ya guys, first time i've had a manual damaged in a new copy of a game.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

Those tabs serve no purpose since when have we had anything to stick in there??? I think it's for a second disc clip, but who makes Wii games more than one disc.

When I got Metroid Prime Trilogy (new and sealed), the manual was chewed up at the center of the right side of the cover. Ticked me off.

Then I actually played the game, and I got ticked off even more because the game blew chunks.

bread's done
Back