Buy or Sell inFamous - $35, and MORE @ Gamestaq

How are they making any money, i am wondering? Entering your credit card number when your selling is stupid. Has anyone had any transactions with them?

[quote name='dimeadz']How are they making any money, i am wondering? Entering your credit card number when your selling is stupid. Has anyone had any transactions with them?[/QUOTE]

It may be a marketing hook. They likely figure they'll get people trading in more stuff they can make a profit on or buy more games that they'll also make a pricing on. Sort of dumb reasoning, but eh.

pretty cool idea, actually. they are a low-impact middleman. they set the price for both buyer and seller. $1.50 for shipping to buyer, and they provide a shipping label for free to seller. condition must be playable, manual optional.

all in all, a pretty cool idea. hopefully it works out for them.

[quote name='affa']pretty cool idea, actually. they are a low-impact middleman. they set the price for both buyer and seller. $1.50 for shipping to buyer, and they provide a shipping label for free to seller. condition must be playable, manual optional.

all in all, a pretty cool idea. hopefully it works out for them.[/QUOTE]

"Them" or you? 2 noobs (joined July 09) promoting. Isn't CheapyD has to gives permission on this kind of posting - self promoting?

Cool Idea indeed, have you heard about goozex?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I am one of the founders of the site. Not sure who the others guys are but I'm happy to see some users like our new take on game trading. I can answer any questions you guys may have, though I am not allowed to promote as gi60 pointed out.

[quote name='dimeadz']How are they making any money, i am wondering? Entering your credit card number when your selling is stupid. Has anyone had any transactions with them?[/QUOTE]

I actually have already done a transaction with them.....sold Prototype last week and got paid right away to my paypal account....smooth...no complaints so far.....gonna try to buy a game this week.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']I wish you had an option to select if you had to have the manual and everything.[/QUOTE]
This is definitely an option I would like to see

[quote name='shiftymcneely']I wish you had an option to select if you had to have the manual and everything.[/QUOTE]

When we were putting together the rules for selling, we wanted to do 2 things:
1) Make the process as easy as possible for the seller.
2) Put measures in place to make sure the buyer gets what he wants.

So, to find an even ground between the 2, we said that for sure the seller needs to ship with original box... but we didnt want to go as far as saying he also MUST have the original manual.

We did decide to add it as an option, but as we were implementing the site we realized that it would make things too complicated to add different options for every game like manual, quality, game box, etc...
So to keep things as simple as possible we went with one standard for everyone.

Not everyone will be happy... but that's usually impossible to achieve anyway.

If we do figure out a simple way to get this option into the buy/sell process, we wont hesitate to include it.

I just sent out infamous for $34 to Amazon, I guess people don't seem to be trading this game in that much.

[quote name='flooty333']
So, to find an even ground between the 2, we said that for sure the seller needs to ship with original box... but we didnt want to go as far as saying he also MUST have the original manual.

We did decide to add it as an option, but as we were implementing the site we realized that it would make things too complicated to add different options for every game like manual, quality, game box, etc...
So to keep things as simple as possible we went with one standard for everyone.

Not everyone will be happy... but that's usually impossible to achieve anyway.

If we do figure out a simple way to get this option into the buy/sell process, we wont hesitate to include it.[/QUOTE]

Hey flooty,

Looks like a great site, and I know nothing about running a site like this, but I wonder if the current option to sell without a manual will just encourage sellers to sell without the manual (as there's no penalty) on gamestaq, and to then sell the manual on ebay or somewhere else.

Hopefully you can find a way to easily include the option to indicate whether a game is sold with or without manual, and to allow for an appropriate change in price. But otherwise, site looks great!

[quote name='aylien']Hey flooty,

Looks like a great site, and I know nothing about running a site like this, but I wonder if the current option to sell without a manual will just encourage sellers to sell without the manual (as there's no penalty) on gamestaq, and to then sell the manual on ebay or somewhere else.

Hopefully you can find a way to easily include the option to indicate whether a game is sold with or without manual, and to allow for an appropriate change in price. But otherwise, site looks great![/QUOTE]

yup... thats what i would do for sure... why include the manual when you can sell it on ebay?

Didn't know manuals were such a hot commodity!

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Will see how we can include this optio in the near future.

[quote name='ejh1820']I actually have already done a transaction with them.....sold Prototype last week and got paid right away to my paypal account....smooth...no complaints so far.....gonna try to buy a game this week.[/QUOTE]

Let's take some advice and feedback from this company from someone that DIDN'T join CAG this month, or even possibly right after this post.

[quote name='flooty333']Actually I am one of the founders of the site. Not sure who the others guys are but I'm happy to see some users like our new take on game trading. I can answer any questions you guys may have, though I am not allowed to promote as gi60 pointed out.[/QUOTE]

You might want to do some work on your search rankings. You're not even on the first page for "gamestaq" though your twitter account does come up first, which I wouldn't say is a good thing but maybe you're into it and think your audience is as well.

[quote name='gi60']"Them" or you? 2 noobs (joined July 09) promoting. Isn't CheapyD has to gives permission on this kind of posting - self promoting?

Cool Idea indeed, have you heard about goozex?[/QUOTE]

dude, get off my back. i read their FAQ. i don't use goozex, i use gametz. i don't like 'credits', i like working with the other trader directly. i'm only 'new' here in the sense that i don't post often. demon's souls got me to make an account here because someone wanted to sell off their import.

[quote name='Taboner']So are thee guys legit? These TIVs are mouthwatering.[/QUOTE]

at the cost of being trashed for being a plant, which i'm not, i can safely say that the TIVs make sense based on their OP... but i don't know that the company is legit.

they never take your game - they wait for a buyer, then give you the buyer's address. so they can safely put up whatever TIV they want, since the trade doesn't happen (and you don't ship or get paid) until they have a buyer lined up. they can't get 'ripped off', and so their only job is finding a good price for a game that both buyer and seller will find appealing. that's why i posted that i liked the idea, not because i joined up here to cheerlead them.

[quote name='hpv']You might want to do some work on your search rankings. You're not even on the first page for "gamestaq" though your twitter account does come up first, which I wouldn't say is a good thing but maybe you're into it and think your audience is as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up.
Gonna get our marketing guy in here now so i can bite his head off! Oh sh$%@.. that would be me! ;)

[quote name='affa']at the cost of being trashed for being a plant, which i'm not, i can safely say that the TIVs make sense based on their OP... but i don't know that the company is legit.

they never take your game - they wait for a buyer, then give you the buyer's address. so they can safely put up whatever TIV they want, since the trade doesn't happen (and you don't ship or get paid) until they have a buyer lined up. they can't get 'ripped off', and so their only job is finding a good price for a game that both buyer and seller will find appealing. that's why i posted that i liked the idea, not because i joined up here to cheerlead them.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify - at the end of the day we aim to be a service that connects buyers and sellers around the country. Instead of all of us walking into Gamestop to sell/buy used games for half of their real value.... we sell/buy directly between each other keeping Gamestop's markup for ourselves.

The main issue with trading is that no seller wants to wait for the other party to come around and buy their game... and vice versa.
So, over the next short period of time, to get things up and running and while we build up our community of users - we'll be processing all transactions (buy or sell) through us.
So if a game is available on our site, that means its available for an immediate buy or sell.
If we have too many of a game in stock (not enough buyers), then the sell side will be grayed out for that game... and vice versa.
All in all, this is to give instant gratification.... without the need to wait on a buyer or seller to fulfill your transaction.

Hope this helps clarify what we're doing.

But there is a feedback system on those trading sites. I doubt people feel fine with supplying a new site with their credit card info just to trade games...

... I guess that's a hurdle every new venture needs to overcome... but we gotta start somewhere.
We have a nice amount of activity so far - you are welcome to give us a shot.

So, just looked at the site, and I have a few inquiries...

1) Any way to view stock information of an item?
2) Currently you're acting as a middle man, making it a conventional trade-in where you get 2-1-0 bucks every time someone buys a game, correct?
3) Once you move full on into your plan, seems the site will be awfully similar to goozex, if goozex allowed you to cash out your points. Would this be an apt comparison? Or is there more that distinguishes this site above it?

[quote name='Salamando3000']So, just looked at the site, and I have a few inquiries...

1) Any way to view stock information of an item?
2) Currently you're acting as a middle man, making it a conventional trade-in where you get 2-1-0 bucks every time someone buys a game, correct?
3) Once you move full on into your plan, seems the site will be awfully similar to goozex, if goozex allowed you to cash out your points. Would this be an apt comparison? Or is there more that distinguishes this site above it?[/QUOTE]

Hey - some answers:

1) All the games that you see listed on the site are in stock.
If a game is not avail to buy, then we will shut off the "Buy" button for that game.
If a game is not avail to sell, because we have too much stock and not enough demand, then we will shut off the "Sell' button for that game.

2) Correct. It essentially is still a direct gamer to gamer trade because we control the stock based on the supply and demand info we get from users... and we take a small fee for the transactions.

3) Goozex is as a great site, and provides a great service for game trading.
We wanted to stay away from being a "game trade site", and be seen more as a place to come and buy or sell your games.
The large majority of gamers that buy/sell used games are doing it at Gamestop... using cash.
So, we wanted to go that same route and offer everyone a better alternative to going to Gamestop.
And not to try and sound too confident, but we feel we're offering gamers a much better deal than Gamestop... their trade in values are only based on store credit. Once you ask for cash, that TRV drops!

Why is this a one star? Has anyone ordered or traded in anything yet? I'm interested in like 5 games.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Let's take some advice and feedback from this company from someone that DIDN'T join CAG this month, or even possibly right after this post.[/QUOTE]

I have traded in/purchased a good amount of games from the site so far and I have no complaints. Everytime I traded in a game I received the paymentf for the game/s on my paypal pretty quickly. I was a little nervous about entering my credit card number at first, but I haven't received any charges on it from Gamestaq. I think they just need your credit card for if you don't send in the games, but accept the Paypal payment.

[quote name='KMunley']Why is this a one star? Has anyone ordered or traded in anything yet? I'm interested in like 5 games.[/QUOTE]

Like I've said, I have traded and purchase a good amount of games from the site and I haven't experienced a single problem yet.

[quote name='hockeyfun66@']I have traded in/purchased a good amount of games from the site so far and I have no complaints. [/QUOTE]

Hockeyfun, out of the games you've purchased so far from gamestaq, how many have come with a manual?

Also, another question to flooty:

How are sellers matched with buyers? Is a first-come-first-serve basis, ie, a seller who put up a copy of Game A a year ago will be matched with a buyer for Game A before another seller who only put the game up for sale yesterday?

[quote name='flooty333']3) Goozex is as a great site, and provides a great service for game trading.
We wanted to stay away from being a "game trade site", and be seen more as a place to come and buy or sell your games.
The large majority of gamers that buy/sell used games are doing it at Gamestop... using cash.
So, we wanted to go that same route and offer everyone a better alternative to going to Gamestop.
And not to try and sound too confident, but we feel we're offering gamers a much better deal than Gamestop... their trade in values are only based on store credit. Once you ask for cash, that TRV drops![/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, this appeals to me much more than Gamestop...possibly even Amazon's trade in thing ever could. However, once this gets big enough, aren't sellers the ones that'll end up shipping the games to buyers? At that point, it seems like the primary difference between the two becomes you deal directly with cash, they offer points to use on more games. Your's deals in something universal, whereas they already have a huge head-start and fully fleshed out library/userbase.

For the manual problem, you may want to opt to steal a page from Goozex's playbook...Buyers who want just the game get matched up with the first seller available, whether they have disc only or complete....Sellers whose game is complete get matched up with the first buyer available...sellers with disc-only only get matched to other disc onlys, and buyers wanting complete only get complete sellers. Makes it easy for sellers with complete copies to get rid of their games with no mess, and buyers who want complete copies can get them (knowing they may need to wait a bit).

As is, the manual optional thing is a bit of a deal breaker for many people.

I'll give this site one chance if and only if someone here agrees to buy Ghostbusters (360) from the site so I can sell it to you.....

:)

[quote name='aylien']Hockeyfun, out of the games you've purchased so far from gamestaq, how many have come with a manual?[/QUOTE]

I have purchased 9 games so far and everyone has came with a manual. Idk if that is a standard or if I just got lucky.

[quote name='Taboner']I'll give this site one chance if and only if someone here agrees to buy Ghostbusters (360) from the site so I can sell it to you.....

:)[/QUOTE]
You can currently sell that game to the site regardless of if there is currently a buyer.

[quote name='aylien']Also, another question to flooty:

How are sellers matched with buyers? Is a first-come-first-serve basis, ie, a seller who put up a copy of Game A a year ago will be matched with a buyer for Game A before another seller who only put the game up for sale yesterday?[/QUOTE]

Right now sellers are not matched with buyers, we take care of that behind the scenes.
But once we switch to direct user to user transactions, yes it will be 1st in 1st out for sellers and buyers.

looks like a very interesting site, I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but not looking for a specific game at this point...but will keep my eye out. Hope it works out for you guys

[quote name='Taboner']Do I get payed instantly?[/QUOTE]

The sites state that you get payed within 24 hours of selling the game, but I have never had to wait that long.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Don't get me wrong, this appeals to me much more than Gamestop...possibly even Amazon's trade in thing ever could. However, once this gets big enough, aren't sellers the ones that'll end up shipping the games to buyers? At that point, it seems like the primary difference between the two becomes you deal directly with cash, they offer points to use on more games. Your's deals in something universal, whereas they already have a huge head-start and fully fleshed out library/userbase.

For the manual problem, you may want to opt to steal a page from Goozex's playbook...Buyers who want just the game get matched up with the first seller available, whether they have disc only or complete....Sellers whose game is complete get matched up with the first buyer available...sellers with disc-only only get matched to other disc onlys, and buyers wanting complete only get complete sellers. Makes it easy for sellers with complete copies to get rid of their games with no mess, and buyers who want complete copies can get them (knowing they may need to wait a bit).

As is, the manual optional thing is a bit of a deal breaker for many people.[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying and we reviewed this over and over again before and during development. We feel we are offering a unique and seemless way for people to buy and sell used games.
Combining the ease of a retail store, with the value of direct trading, and the the power of the dollar (though the dollar ain't as powerful as it used to be)

Re game manuals
Goozex's solution sounds very cool and we will def discuss that on our end to see how we can implement.
In the meantime do you guys think we should REQUIRE sellers to include manuals with their games otherwise they cant sell it on the site ? Or would that just be too limiting/demanding on the seller?

Can't thank you enough for your feedback and advice. We drink this stuff up...

[quote name='flooty333'] Re game manuals
Goozex's solution sounds very cool and we will def discuss that on our end to see how we can implement.
In the meantime do you guys think we should REQUIRE sellers to include manuals with their games otherwise they cant sell it on the site ? Or would that just be too limiting/demanding on the seller?[/QUOTE]

Have most of your sellers to date been supplying games with or without manuals? Maybe that's an indication of whether sellers would find a manual requirement to be limiting.
Perhaps you could require manuals in the meantime, and put games without manuals on hold until sellers are matched directly with buyers. Sellers with manuals would be able to get an earlier sale and for a higher price point, and thus be offered an incentive to maintain complete games.
Sellers without manuals could still sell their games later at a lower, manual-less price point.
Similarly, buyers would be able to choose whether to pay a "premium" (somewhere between $1-$5) for a manual with their game.
Eg, Infamous is currently listed at $35, perhaps a manual-less version would be $30.

As for Goozex's model, I think one potential problem with importing their manual policy wholesale to gamestaq would be the negative impacts for the buyer looking for complete copies.
While buyers will range in whether they want manuals or not, there's no benefit or drawback for wanting complete games. For the sellers, however, the Goozex model doesn't offer any incentives for sellers to go through the extra hassle of sending complete copies.

Unless there's a price difference, sellers sending only disc games would get the same amount as sellers sending complete games. Buyers looking for complete games would be forced to wait on "generous" sellers who go above and beyond the market. Instead, perhaps gamestaq could offer different prices as incentives to sellers to ship complete games.

How are the condition of most of the game cases? If the cases come in great condition and with the actual covers (not those default gamestop type of covers).

bread's done
Back