CAGcast #167: No Receipt, No Returns, No Brains

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]We cover a lot of TV, movies, and gaming in this week's episode, along with a fascinating assortment of game shopping and industry news, new releases, your CAGbag questions and so much more!

[podcast]76[/podcast]
Download - 105 minutes, 42MB
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photo

Bonus Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vSAVzbwsw

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only real complaints on watchmen came from people who were big fans of the graphic novel. I could see how someone who hadnt read the comic might think it was one of the better superhero movies out there.

[quote name='wombat']Name me one game that has come out for both the psp and another console and that other console didnt have two analog sticks[/quote]
Wii doesnt have two analog sticks as standard, though some of the multiplatform stuff includes the PS2 which does:

Just to name a few:
Tenchu Shadow Assassins
Metal Slug Anthology
Williams Pinball Hall of Fame
Prince of Persia Rival Swords

GBA doesnt have any analog sticks:

Yggdra Union (GBA/PSP)
Riviera (GBA/PSP)

Code:
	   Sony		    Nintendo	      Microsoft	        Total
Y/E 1998     $902,811,090   $1,023,333,867                      $1,926,144,957
Y/E 1999   $1,102,563,557   $1,301,350,000                      $2,403,913,557
Y/E 2000     $722,738,949   $1,368,207,547                      $2,090,946,497
Y/E 2001    -$449,776,290     $677,576,000                        $227,799,710
Y/E 2002     $629,101,056     $895,872,180   -$1,135,000,000      $389,973,237
Y/E 2003     $935,569,253     $834,333,333   -$1,191,000,000      $578,902,586
Y/E 2004     $627,195,212     $993,161,303   -$1,337,000,000      $283,356,515
Y/E 2005     $419,888,799   $1,056,056,202     -$539,000,000      $936,945,001
Y/E 2006      $69,129,058     $774,478,055   -$1,339,000,000     -$495,392,887
Y/E 2007  -$1,970,923,859   $1,914,666,388   -$1,969,000,000   -$2,025,257,471
Y/E 2008  -$1,079,994,103   $4,322,637,887      $426,000,000    $3,668,643,783
Y/E 2009    -$577,207,240   $5,691,428,301

Total				
	   $1,331,095,482  $20,853,101,065   -$6,786,000,000   $15,101,104,710

Now that Sony Computer Entertainment has been merged into the divisions that house the Vaio and Walkman, it'll be harder to get numbers for them going forward. Microsoft Entertainment & Devices also includes the Zune.

To make you feel better about G-Force ( ya it tricked me too) They are making a Gatchaman movie. Its in cgi and being done by imagi studio. (TNMT New Astro boy movie)

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Wii doesnt have two analog sticks as standard, though some of the multiplatform stuff includes the PS2 which does:

Just to name a few:
Tenchu Shadow Assassins
Metal Slug Anthology
Williams Pinball Hall of Fame
Prince of Persia Rival Swords

GBA doesnt have any analog sticks:

Yggdra Union (GBA/PSP)
Riviera (GBA/PSP)
[/QUOTE]

I did correct myself on the show also, the better question would have been what previous or in development game would be made unplayable by adding a 2nd stick?

@Wombat

Wasnt the argument for not adding a second nub that Developers would have to add 2 VERY different control schemes going forward so that games would be playable on older psps? Besides I dont see the point of adding such a dramatic change if it's not a new console, you're basically pissing off your current install base by doing that since you are essentially making all current gen psps "inferior"

Here's why the Wii will have to take up the HD format- the sales for the Wii have already dropped considerably and soon everyone will have a wii, nintendo then cannot sell anymore wii's> the answer to which is take up the HD format by releasing a new console and making people buy it.

Great picture, "I told you I can multi-task!"

That video is awesome, "mama-san, watch my flying dragon kick on that little dork over there".

[quote name='volt1up']@Wombat

Wasnt the argument for not adding a second nub that Developers would have to add 2 VERY different control schemes going forward so that games would be playable on older psps? Besides I dont see the point of adding such a dramatic change if it's not a new console, you're basically pissing off your current install base by doing that since you are essentially making all current gen psps "inferior"[/QUOTE]

By removing the UMD drive they have already caused a rift in the PSP market, why not actually improve the console in the process.

My Wii fried itself in the first 6 months of ownership (hence the sarcastic CAG username), the first replacement they sent didn't work and had to be sent back. Look up "Wii Artifacts" if you need to know what happened. When that happened, I broke down and got a 360, as I was somewhat fearful of the red-ring. I red-ringed a year later, but I play the 360 WAY more than that Wii.

I heard you talking about loving Red Faction again in this podcast. I bought the game based on the CAGcast recommendation. I finally finished the single player game last night. I've got to say, I don't see where the love is coming from. It wasn't a bad game, but driving around in a red desert for 20 hours wasn't all that great.

Is the only reason Cheapy loves it is because it was made by the guys who made Saints Row? :)

Thank you for your concern about my well being, no Nintendo reps have kidnapped me yet, however I have noticed a white plastic truck following me recently. Anyway, Cheapy congrats on the Geotrax score. They are great toys, I am jealous, I would love to stumble onto that deal for any parts of the whole system because they are expensive, but my son loves them.

Wombat, don't sound so embarrassed about the 26" Insignia, that is the same TV I have in my bedroom and they are great, especially for a bedroom TV for the size and cost. They are less expensive but they are certainly not cheap as far as quality and durability. My company buys insignia monitors for all of the computers because they last a long time and just cost less. I believe that Insignia while being Best Buy house brand is manufactured by Samsung and I have not had a quality issue with any Insignia TV or monitor that I bought or have used. Of course that is for a bedroom TV, I wouldn't put one in my living room but that is not to say that it wouldn't be just as good, I am just a brand snob.

I love the remote holder that comes with it, I haven't lost the remote once since we got this TV.

Thanks for the collision video, the slow mo replays are classic.

PSP Go shouldn't have been another iteration of the PSP, it should have been a backwards compatible PSP2. This would allow for an improvement like a second analog stick, removal of the UMD drive and justification of the price. The PSP could have faded out, not every system needs a 10 year life span, especially a portable.

Funny show!! you should try using the dashboard offline i think its a network problem.

once i used it offline and it goes super fast and when im online its slow as a mofo.

keep up the good work.

[quote name='infamyRISE']I propose that "The Big CAG fuck You" be distributed on a regular basis in a reoccuring segment of the show.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. Just hearing CheapyD say that would replace my need for hearing "Big Ass Chains".

The Big CAG fuck You needs to be an official proclamation.

In other news, I liked Harry Potter, and didn't like Watchmen. Figures.

Can't wait for the retailer CAG-pages, though. Good podcast!

[quote name='Treythalomew']My thoughts exactly. Just hearing CheapyD say that would replace my need for hearing "Big Ass Chains".[/QUOTE]

Never.

url

Weezer 8-bit is great...listening to it now. Kraftwerk 8-bit tribute is good, too, but it's not free = not as good. (called 8-bit operators)

This just hit, Microsoft Entertainment & Devices Division just posted a $130 million loss for the 3 months ending June 30, 2009, though most of it appears to be Zune related.

EDD revenue decreased across most lines of our business. Revenue from non-gaming business decreased $291 million or 42%, primarily reflecting decreased Mediaroom and Zune revenue. Xbox 360 platform and PC game revenue decreased $110 million or 12%, primarily as a result of decreased Xbox 360 console sales and decreased revenue per Xbox 360 console due to price reductions during the past 12 months, partially offset by increased Xbox Live revenue. We shipped 1.2 million Xbox 360 consoles during the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2009, compared with 1.3 million Xbox 360 consoles during the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2008. Foreign currency exchange rates accounted for a $27 million or two percentage point decrease in revenue.

EDD operating loss decreased primarily due to decreased costs of revenue and sales and marketing expenses, mostly offset by decreased revenue. Cost of revenue decreased $266 million or 31%, primarily driven by decreased Xbox 360 platform costs. Sales and marketing expenses decreased $107 million or 30%, reflecting decreased advertising and marketing expenses.

It's more insulting to say Gwen Stacy is around for 30 years when she clearly didn't live that long. She died in Amazing Spider-man #121 or so? So a comic coming out a month a year means she lived long before Spider-man came out and was fighting Nazi's with Cap according to your timeline.

You know, Domino's seems to catch a lot of flack. You should know cheapy that Domino's can really be a hit or miss thing. My local Domino's is great! So much so that I didn't understand why people hated it. However I have had Domino's from other places and it has totally sucked some times.

So I challenge you to give Domino's a try next time you are in the states. The crust is superior to pizza hut's and they don't tend to over sauce the pizza.

[quote name='Wombat']By removing the UMD drive they have already caused a rift in the PSP market, why not actually improve the console in the process.[/QUOTE]

Removing the UMD dosent stick you with an inferior way to play your games.Besides all PSP owners already own memory sticks if they use their PSPs at all, and by this point memory sticks have become considerably less expensive.

[quote name='bardockkun']It's more insulting to say Gwen Stacy is around for 30 years when she clearly didn't live that long. She died in Amazing Spider-man #121 or so? So a comic coming out a month a year means she lived long before Spider-man came out and was fighting Nazi's with Cap according to your timeline.[/QUOTE]

well the character 1st appeared in 1965, 44 years ago, she died about 10 years after her 1st appearance, but the character even after death still appeared in flashback and thought bubbles well into the 80's. So maybe 25 years would have been better.

Cheapy you asked what kind of people would buy those Gears map packs? The same morons who are going to buy the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige edition,who spend hundreds of dollars on Rock Band tracks, and who buy both copies of a multiplatform game at release.

I agree with what you said about buying new games. I'm really tired of gamers championing that we all need to buy each game new and pay the highest price possible to show our support for the game industry. Screw that. I don't care about showing support. All I care about is playing the games and getting them the cheapest I can. If companies are losing money on games that's tough shit. Stop pricing your games at 60 bucks.

Wombat, I wasn't pissed off about Gwen in Spiderman 3. I was super pissed that they botched the Venom/Venom Spidey characters so bad.

Last edited:
Not to be nitpicky but CheapyD and Wombat should have aimchat or something open so if someone says "ill be back in a second" and "im back" they can just type it to the other one

Though I truly don't give two shits about the device, Cheapy, I'm usually fine with you talking the iPhone talk. Still, I thought it was fairly ironic that you spoke of Nintendo's knack for selling us the same gadget over and over again, then in the same breath referenced the iPhone 3G/3GS. The truth is everyone hoses us with new tech boasting only minor upgrades. And we fall for it. Over and over again.

[quote name='Wombat']By removing the UMD drive they have already caused a rift in the PSP market, why not actually improve the console in the process.[/QUOTE]

I can see where you are coming from for sure...but...

If they start releasing games that are download only, ALL PSP's can still play them. They haven't alienated anyone.

If they start releasing games that can be played with two analog sticks, NOT all PSP's can play them...and they HAVE alienated a ton of PSP 1000/2000/3000 users.

The only way this could be avoided would be for each game to have the option for single/dual stick play, which is possible...but only if developers take the time to put it in.

Even then, if a game is developed for dual stick play, chances are the single stick play will end up being a much worse and/or half assed attempt.

Personally, I think the PSP Go is a great idea for moving ahead with the PSP, but I'll stick with my old PSP 2000 anyway because I already own UMD games and I don't like the $250 price tag on the PSP Go.

Either way, it has one stick...so I guess it's all a moot point. It just seemed like Cheapy was making a point that Wombat didn't quite get at first during the Podcast.

Thanks for the shout out Wombat! Glad to hear you enjoyed the gift.

Both Metacritic and Gamerankings need to start recognizing podcast reviews as legit reviews. I honestly never read reviews anymore. When I want a review of a game I'll either ask someone who has played it, or I'll listen to podcasts I trust the opinion of, such as the CAGcast, to see if it's worth my time. Your reviews of Red Faction actually led to me buying the game! A written review hasn't had that effect on me in years!

I think Metacritic and Gamerankings' biggest deal with podcast reviews is that no score is given. Perhaps if take your reviews from the CAGcast, post them as additional mini-podcast reviews, assign a score, and provide a transcript you'll be recognized as a review. Of course it may take some time for those sites to recognize your reviews, but they've got to eventually.

Game journalism isn't what it used to be. With print publications dying, game journalism is evolving into a more convenient to-the-point way of reporting. What I'm saying is: Hey Metacritic and Gamerankings, get your shit together.

Somewhat off-topic, but overall the Watchmen film received decent scores. I'm glad you liked it Cheapy, but most complaints that are directed on the film are due to the fact it is essentially a quick summary of the acclaimed comic series, with some typical Hollywood embellishments. The director Zack Snyder made the film appear to be an action movie, when the comic was very story driven. Overall I enjoyed the film, but it is important to keep in mind that much criticism sprouts from the series being considered one the best (if not the best) comics of all time.

[quote name='aknowlesjr']i want to start an internet petition to demand more CagCast. anyone with me??? (crickets) Damn![/QUOTE]

srzly It's the only vg podcast I've found that is even remotely listenable. I find the other ones too crowded and just kinda zero personality.

bread's done
Back