Game Development Thread

Richard Kain

CAGiversary!
From some of the blog posts I've seen on CAG, it seems that there are a decent number of CAGs who are interested in developing their own games/interactive applications. However, such discussions don't seem to have their own section on the boards. (probably because there just hasn't been enough demand for one) I figured I would begin a thread for any of the CAG ametuer game developers to discuss their projects, and possibly find some tips or hints on starting out.

I settled on the PC forums for this thread, as this is generally the most open platform for the aspiring indie game developer. The barrier to entry on the consoles is so steep that you pretty much have to have a recognized game development company before the platform holders will even consider you. However, if anyone is working for another platform, feel free to post here as well. (such as the iPhone or the XNA Creator's Club)

I will probably post some of the lessons I've learned in exploring indie game development over the years, as well as links to some of the more useful tools and engines available.

Well I've done some work with Game Maker but never really finished anything up or did anything noteworthy. It's always fun though, thinking of an idea and actually seeing it happen.

Game Maker is a decent starting point for the beginning game designer. It is a solid visual editor, so you don't have to actually dip into code-based programming to get a game working. It can be a little bit tedious at times, though. I believe it has a trial version for anyone who's interested.
http://www.yoyogames.com/make

Another similar program that is a bit more open is the Scrolling Game Development Kit. It is currently on version 2.1. Where Game Maker requires you to plop down some money for the full-featured version, the SGDK is free, even for commercial projects. One of the advantages it provides is low-level access to the logic code. You can generally settle for the visual editor if you feel like. But if you want more functionality for your game, you can at any time go into the code and add your own changes. It uses C#, so familiarity with that language is a plus.
http://sgdk2.sourceforge.net/

Both of these options are good for someone just starting out, as they largely involve content editing, and provide most of the basic functionality you need in a game engine. Very little, if any, programming is required. The SGDK even comes with a built-in graphics editor for sprite painting, so you don't need a graphics program. For those who are just looking to prototype a game, it is fairly easy to import sprite sheets from other games. (although obviously you can't sell a game with someone else's art in it)

I'm working on an iphone game along with my friend. He's taking care of all of the coding while I came up with the concept, story, and am starting to tackle the art. The toughest part is the art, since I'm not really an artists. I'm sort of having to mcgyver stuff and just do what I can.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I'm sort of having to mcgyver stuff and just do what I can.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with that. Try to keep the designs for the graphics fairly simple and clean. Few users ever object to simple and clean. And don't be afraid to produce "filler" art that you can refine later. Providing your coding friend with filler art to show how things will be laid out will help you to get a working prototype faster.

The iPhone is easily one of the most attractive platforms to garage developers, because the barrier to entry is so much lower. Developing apps for the iPhone can involve a very small monetary investment, with plenty of opportunity for profit. Even if your first app only has minimal sales, the initial investment is so small that there isn't much monetary risk.

Have you and your friend chosen an engine to work with?

[quote name='Richard Kain']Nothing wrong with that. Try to keep the designs for the graphics fairly simple and clean. Few users ever object to simple and clean. And don't be afraid to produce "filler" art that you can refine later. Providing your coding friend with filler art to show how things will be laid out will help you to get a working prototype faster.

The iPhone is easily one of the most attractive platforms to garage developers, because the barrier to entry is so much lower. Developing apps for the iPhone can involve a very small monetary investment, with plenty of opportunity for profit. Even if your first app only has minimal sales, the initial investment is so small that there isn't much monetary risk.

Have you and your friend chosen an engine to work with?[/QUOTE]Not yet. We're still in the very early stages, namely in trying to decide what kind of art style the game will have and what the characters will look like. I'm working on the main character right now.

I'll ask my friend which one he thinks we should use since he'll be in charge of the nuts and bolts of it all. Although it'd be awesome if you could recommend something.

[quote name='Richard Kain'] The barrier to entry on the consoles is so steep that you pretty much have to have a recognized game development company before the platform holders will even consider you. However, if anyone is working for another platform, feel free to post here as well. (such as the iPhone or the XNA Creator's Club)
[/QUOTE]

The entry barrier for console development has actually gotten a lot better since the release of XNA. I'd say it's very much the easiest route to actually get your indie game on a console.

I've recently tried obtaining a PSP dev kit from Sony. Sony wanted a minimum of 250K in working cash, along with a complete business plan, etc before they would even remotely consider selling you a kit. It's completely absurd and is really no wonder there aren't more indie devs on the PSP.

For the record, I'm a game dev now for a company I won't mention. We use Gamebryo and one or two other engines, just depending on the need.

Sure, I'd be happy to throw out some suggestions.

One of the more popular 3D engines for the iPhone is SIO2. The maker of this engine is currently accepting donations, but the engine itself is free to use for commercial projects. If you purchase a liscence for it, you can do things like remove the SIO2 logo. It is one of the more full-featured 3D engines for the iPhone, so if you insist on 3D graphics, you will probably want to take a look at it. One drawback is that it's tools are based around Blender, and if you aren't familiar with using Blender, this could be a problem. Of course, Blender is also free, so at least you won't have to spend any money trying to get it to work.
http://sio2interactive.com/HOME/HOME.html

While the SIO2 engine is more focused on coding, another solution with a more visual approach is the Unity engine. Unity is a commercial engine with a complete visual editing suite of tools. It is kind of like the Flash IDE for game development. It also features full 3D support. This is the solution for people who want to do as little programming as possible. One of the biggest drawbacks to Unity is the price tag. The liscence is reasonable, but still not cheap. You have to buy a regular liscence before you buy an iPhone liscence, so the minimum cost is $600, and that's for one user. Still, if you don't mind laying down a little investment...
http://unity3d.com/

Another more visual editor would be Shiva. This is a pretty solid package, though not quite as user-friendly as Unity. Although their native support for the iPhone isn't quite as robust as Unity's, they do offer all of the tools necessary to port your Shiva-developed game onto the iPhone. They also offer a very capable "trial" version of their software, for those who want to learn how it works before laying down any cashola. I've always found this to be a big draw for more complex software packages. Definitely worth giving a look, especially if you are pushing to have 3D in your game.
http://www.stonetrip.com/

I don't know all that much about the Oolong engine, but it is another viable option. I think it is mainly a wrapper for existing game dev libraries. It does give you access to OpenGL (for graphics), OpenAL (for sound), and Bullet SDK (for physics).
http://oolongengine.com/

The engine that I'm actually using for my own little iPhone project is Cocos2D. As the name implies, this is an engine very much focused on 2D graphics. It is possible to incorporate 3D into it, but you're on your own if you go that route. It features a basic 2D physics engine, which is great for anyone wanting to develop a quick and basic physics game. I'm primarily using it for its Scene management. It's scene structure makes it useful for transitions, and swapping between different control schemes. Getting menus up and running in it is very easy.
http://code.google.com/p/cocos2d-iphone/

[quote name='mtxbass1']The entry barrier for console development has actually gotten a lot better since the release of XNA. I'd say it's very much the easiest route to actually get your indie game on a console.[/QUOTE]

For just getting your game on a console, I have to agree. The fee the Creator's club charges is also very reasonable. I can't complain about the XNA toolset either.

Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't given indie devs quite as much help in the promotion department. Finding good Indie games on the 360 can be quite difficult, largely due to the interface. This makes it considerably harder for actual money to be made going this route.

[quote name='mtxbass1']For the record, I'm a game dev now for a company I won't mention. We use Gamebryo and one or two other engines, just depending on the need.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for providing an insider's perspective! I'm sorry to hear about how much investment Sony is insisting on having for the PSP. I can appreciate that they want to maintain control over their platform. But if they really want to promote the upcoming PSP Go, it wouldn't hurt for them to open up an avenue for garage developers. Digital download services are one of the best options for small indie teams right now, and the smaller-scale titles that they usually produce. How many 2-3 man teams have $250K to drop on a game that may or may not sell?

[quote name='Richard Kain']
I can appreciate that they want to maintain control over their platform. But if they really want to promote the upcoming PSP Go, it wouldn't hurt for them to open up an avenue for garage developers. Digital download services are one of the best options for small indie teams right now, and the smaller-scale titles that they usually produce. How many 2-3 man teams have $250K to drop on a game that may or may not sell?[/QUOTE]

What's hilarious is that they "lowered" the standards to get to the 250K value. It is amazing the hoops you have to jump through just to get a dev kit. I gave up and am looking at the iPhone.

[quote name='mtxbass1']they "lowered" the standards to get to the 250K value[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty major issue facing the gaming industry right now. Video games began with garage development, a couple of creative people working on projects in their free time. But games have become such big business that there are almost no avenues remaining for that kind of development to be profitable. With modern publishers, you have to prove that you have a quarter of a million dollars to sling around before they'll even sell you a dev kit.

It is true that small team development is extremely limited in scope. But it also enjoys the advantage of creative cohesion. It is extremely hard to hold to a creative vision when you have 100-man teams. Sooner or later everything comes up to a commitee vote. Control is relegated to focus groups and marketing executives. And we've seen where that leads. The big-budget model isn't going to go away, but there really ought to be more opportunity for indies. It would be great to see a successful hardware platform that embraced this kind of development. At the moment, the closest thing we have is the iPhone. (which is definitely an attractive platform for indie development)

[quote name='Richard Kain']Sure, I'd be happy to throw out some suggestions.

One of the more popular 3D engines for the iPhone is SIO2. The maker of this engine is currently accepting donations, but the engine itself is free to use for commercial projects. If you purchase a liscence for it, you can do things like remove the SIO2 logo. It is one of the more full-featured 3D engines for the iPhone, so if you insist on 3D graphics, you will probably want to take a look at it. One drawback is that it's tools are based around Blender, and if you aren't familiar with using Blender, this could be a problem. Of course, Blender is also free, so at least you won't have to spend any money trying to get it to work.
http://sio2interactive.com/HOME/HOME.html

While the SIO2 engine is more focused on coding, another solution with a more visual approach is the Unity engine. Unity is a commercial engine with a complete visual editing suite of tools. It is kind of like the Flash IDE for game development. It also features full 3D support. This is the solution for people who want to do as little programming as possible. One of the biggest drawbacks to Unity is the price tag. The liscence is reasonable, but still not cheap. You have to buy a regular liscence before you buy an iPhone liscence, so the minimum cost is $600, and that's for one user. Still, if you don't mind laying down a little investment...
http://unity3d.com/

Another more visual editor would be Shiva. This is a pretty solid package, though not quite as user-friendly as Unity. Although their native support for the iPhone isn't quite as robust as Unity's, they do offer all of the tools necessary to port your Shiva-developed game onto the iPhone. They also offer a very capable "trial" version of their software, for those who want to learn how it works before laying down any cashola. I've always found this to be a big draw for more complex software packages. Definitely worth giving a look, especially if you are pushing to have 3D in your game.
http://www.stonetrip.com/

I don't know all that much about the Oolong engine, but it is another viable option. I think it is mainly a wrapper for existing game dev libraries. It does give you access to OpenGL (for graphics), OpenAL (for sound), and Bullet SDK (for physics).
http://oolongengine.com/

The engine that I'm actually using for my own little iPhone project is Cocos2D. As the name implies, this is an engine very much focused on 2D graphics. It is possible to incorporate 3D into it, but you're on your own if you go that route. It features a basic 2D physics engine, which is great for anyone wanting to develop a quick and basic physics game. I'm primarily using it for its Scene management. It's scene structure makes it useful for transitions, and swapping between different control schemes. Getting menus up and running in it is very easy.
http://code.google.com/p/cocos2d-iphone/[/QUOTE]Holy crap, you are AWESOME. Thanks for sharing this wealth of information. As this is the first time me and my friend have attempted anything remotely like this we never put any thought into something like the engine.

We'll most likely go with cocos2d, because it's going to be a very simplistic looking 2d game, since I'm not picasso and all, haha!

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Thanks for sharing this wealth of information.[/QUOTE]

We aim to help. Good luck on developing your first iPhone app. I can definitely recommend Cocos2D, I've had a pretty good experience developing with it so far. There are definitely some features it is missing. But for getting basic 2D apps up and running, its second to none. (at least on the iPhone)

Todays beginner game development tip is in the realm of programming. Although there are solutions these days that don't require programming, most of them limit what can be done with a game. Although modding existing games can be fun and rewarding, there are few things as satisfying as delving into the guts of an engine. And for that, programming is necessary.

But that doesn't mean it has to be difficult. Some programming langauges can be a bit easier to get into than others. Today's featured language is Python. http://www.python.org/ Python is a higher-level langauge that has been gaining in popularity and features in recent years. It was originally used for scripting, but has been fleshed out enough to qualify as its own language.

One of the advantages of Python is that it is considerably more cross-platform friendly. Versions of Python can be downloaded for almost any architecture and operating system. You can find compilers, runtimes, and editors for it on Windows, Mac, and Linux. A lot of game and graphics related engines that are built with Python are already cross-platform.

But the real advantage of Python is that it is one of the easier languages to learn and use. (especially if you get a capable editor for it) Python is more forgiving in the way it handles syntax. It's approach to white space also set it apart, and requires fewer keystrokes. It also shortens the distance between coding and compiling, allowing the developer to get an idea of what their code will do much faster.

Because it is a higher-level language, you don't get as much control over memory management. This means that you won't be able to squeeze as much power out of Python as you would lower langanges like C or C++. For some of the more performance-intensive functions, Python is capable, but necessarily the best solution. For most game-design functions, Python is entirely serviceable. (designing GUIs, basic game logic, scene management, etc...)

Like most languages, what makes Python most appealing is the work that has already gone into it. (ie, the work you WON'T have to do) There are already several established libraries and game engines for development that use Python. One of the most established is PyGame. http://www.pygame.org/news.html This framework for game development in Python has a lot of features, and a robust community with plenty of documentation and tutorials. Another popular engine is the original Cocos2D. Although the iPhone port of this engine is bringing it into the limelight, the original engine for the PC/Mac/Linux is written and developed in Python. http://cocos2d.org/ It provides all of the tools and features available in the iPhone port, and more. Python is also the scripting language used in the popular open-source 3D modeling program Blender, and the game engine it uses. http://www.blender.org/ Using Python programming in conjunction with Blender can allow you to prototype 3D games quickly in a more visual environment. Blender even comes with its own code editor that is Python-friendly.

Anyone have suggestions of tools for non-programmers? I've played around with Power Games Factory for Mac. I'm really hoping there is something out there to make an Advance Wars/Final Fantasy Tactics-like game. I just am hoping to find something that will let me create units, most of those type of games have level editors.

My team and I are working on developing four iPhone games. Two are relatively simple and would be thrown up for free. The other two are more complex and would be charged for. I'm leading the team and working closely with everyone in order to keep the synergy going. Right now I'm concentrating on developing the music and design document but the game should finish development in roughly 8 weeks.

I've also signed a NDA with another team who is contemplating outright buying the intellectual property rights for another one of my ideas and bringing me in as the lead game designer. I'd get a salary, royalties on the game, and royalties on all sequels, ports, and merchandise so I'm particularly keen on it working out.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']I've also signed a NDA with another team who is contemplating outright buying the intellectual property rights for another one of my ideas and bringing me in as the lead game designer. I'd get a salary, royalties on the game, and royalties on all sequels, ports, and merchandise so I'm particularly keen on it working out.[/QUOTE]

Wow, let me just say congrats. That's like my dream.

[quote name='WiiNet']Anyone have suggestions of tools for non-programmers? I've played around with Power Games Factory for Mac. I'm really hoping there is something out there to make an Advance Wars/Final Fantasy Tactics-like game. I just am hoping to find something that will let me create units, most of those type of games have level editors.[/QUOTE]

Can't suggest Game Maker enough. Huge community, visually oriented for newer folks and a language for the more experienced and ongoing support.

Well, after some attempts at doing the artwork myself, I'm pretty disappointed. There's just no way I can achieve what I want.

Now the plan is to develop another game first, something that will have incredibly simple art (think lines and circles). Then whatever money we make with that game, I plan on hiring an artist to make the art for the game we REALLY want to do. That way we're completely satisfied with it.

It's a shame to put the other game in the back burner, but it's just something I realized needs to be done. It's a great idea, and I don't want my "artistry" to ruin it.

It's great to see that so many people are working on their own projects, and that they are finding ways to succeed.

XxFuRy2Xx - It sounds like you are on the right track with your iPhone app, at least as far as planning and marketing. I know it can hurt to cut back on your creative vision and settle for a less ambitious project. But this is just a part of effective project management. Knowing your limitations, and playing to your strengths with the resources at hand is part of game development. It is probably a good thing that you are scaling back and going for an app that doesn't require as complex art assets. This will make it that much more likely that your first game project will be able to garner success, and serve as a foundation for the next. I actually did something similar when writing the design doc for the iPhone app I'm working on. (just for different reasons)

Given the problems you are having with art, I'd like to bring up a trick that I have run across in the past. 3D graphics are considerbly more cost effective than 2D illustrated graphics. This is because you only have to make the the 3D models once, but 2D graphics have to have each frame illustrated. But sometimes, you don't have the option of using a 3D engine. What to do?

One strategy that some developers utilize is sprite sourcing. This kind of sounds like plagarizing, but what it actually means is that you will create sprites, using 3D models. This was a popular strategy in the early 90s, near the end of the 16-bit console generation. Some of the better-known examples of sprite sourcing are the Donkey Kong Country games, and Super Mario RPG. In these games, the developers created and animated 3D models, and then used those models to render the sprites that were used in the game. This way they got to enjoy the advantages of 3D modelling, while still using 2D sprites in their games. Since most sprites don't tend to be very high-resolution, you can usually render the frames for them very quickly.

Of course, like any technique, there are limitations. Some artists object to this method, as it tends to make the sprites look like they are made out of Play-Doh. Traditional sprite illustrations uses certain conventions that make the sprites more attractive, and easier to tell apart from the background. With basic sprite sourcing, you usually lose this. You could compensate somewhat by changing the shaders applied to your models. But the best solution is probably a final, illustration pass once you are satisfied with your animations.

Using un-touched sprite sourcing earlier in the development process is very good, because it can provide you with art for your game quickly. "Filler" art gives programmers something to work with. When the game is nearing the end of development, the artists can go back and "draw-over" the rendered animation frames, adding in details and shading that bring the characters in line with traditional sprite work. (like solid outlines, simplified color blocks, additional details, etc...) You can still use the rendered sprites as a base. Be sure to render and alpha mask along with your sprites, so that it will be easier to go back and paint in details afterward.

I do have some more questions, and I definitely appreciate all of the information in this thread.

1. What programs would some of you recommend for making some simple music for out first project? This is something that we can definitely tackle on our own, we just need the right tools.

I have garageband on my mac and it comes with some samples that you can use (drum beats, guitar bits, etc.) to create new music. Would I then be able to use that music for a commercial venture? Or is it strapped with copyrights and only meant to be played around with?

2. Copyrights and trademarks for our games and "company". I'm completely new to this kind of thing. So I'd definitely appreciate it if someone pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

No worries, Garage Band's samples are fine to use. The samples that come with the software are royalty-free, and you can use them to produce your own original compositions without having to worry about licensing. I would suggest using Garage Band's synthesizer to produce some melodies, though. It gets boring with just a beat.

If you are looking to start a legitimate company, you will have to speak with the Corporation Commission in whatever state you are located in. They can tell you what paperwork needs to be filled out and filed, and what fees have to be paid. You will have to register your company's name, and file regular annual reports. I'd suggest an S-Corp to start off with. It offers some liability protection, while keeping the tax situation nice and simple. If you are in a country other than the U.S., you are on your own. I've only ever started a company in the U.S.

For copyrights inside the U.S., you will want to go to the following site...
http://www.copyright.gov/
This should have all the information you need on copyright law, and how to file for copyrights on your work.

It's been so long since I did any game development that I'm not sure if my suggestions will be super outdated. That being said, when I used to dink around and make little puzzle games for fun like 5+ years ago I used a C++ framework called SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer). There is an entire tutorial on how to set it up and use it for game development here.

Another thing that you might want to look into (I saw a presentation on it at PAX2007) is the Popcap framework.

I think that both these are C/C++ specific but I could be wrong. I am very out of the loop with this stuff lately. Great info in this thread by the way...

Just keeping the thread alive. And, of course, sharing some more tips and suggestions for indie game development. Today's hot topic is...

FLASH GAME DEVELOPMENT

For some time, flash games were the realm of graphic designers who owned their own copy of the Flash IDE. And I can tell you from experience that a copy of Flash fresh from Adobe is NOT cheap. So there was a considerable barrier to entry for aspiring flash developers.

But a few years ago, Adobe decided to release an SDK for their Flex standards. And about a year after that, they open-sourced a large chunk of their Flash and Flex standards, providing the community with several useful tools and examples. Now, with a little coding know-how, anyone can become a flash developer without paying a cent.

The Flex SDK - http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=flex3sdk

By downloading the latest version of the Flex SDK, you get all the tools and code necessary to compile fully-functional flash swf files. Now, this is strictly the code-head solution to flash development, since it doesn't come with any visual editing tools. At the same time, you have access to Flash's entire drawing library. So you can use code to draw anything that can be drawn in the Flash IDE. The Flex SDK is entirely cross-platform, and will allow you to compile flash files on any operating system.

Of course, unless you want to be coding .mxml and .as files in Notepad, you will want a Flash-friendly code editor. There are several options. One of the code editors I normally download for my machines is...

NotePad++ - http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

This is a fairly basic text editor. But it has built-in tab browsing support, for having multiple files open at once, syntax highlighting for numerous web languages, and even a function browser. It is a very versatile code editor, especially for creating and editing web code. (PHP, XML, HTML, etc...) It's syntax highlighting supports Actionscript, so it can be effectively used for Flash development. But if you want a more complete package, look no further than...

FlashDevelop - http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/index.php?title=Main_Page

This is one of the best solutions for free flash programming. It is a very capable code editor, specifically geared toward flash. It has a file browser, projects, pre-defined templates, and all the other goodies you would expect from a code development IDE. It is essentially Visual Studio for flash. When it comes to coding for flash, some developers even prefer it to the Flash IDE itself. FlashDevelop makes assembling and keeping track of larger flash projects much easier. Unfortunately, it is only for Windows at the moment.

Flash Game Engines

Now that we've learned a little about the tools, we need to look at some of the shortcuts available. Starting from scratch is fine for the extremely ambitious. But some of the rest of us would like a quick leg up. Fortunately, there are some solutions available now.

PushButton Engine - http://pushbuttonengine.com/

This is an up-and-coming engine being developed by some real game industry veterans. It takes a "component" approach to development. You use a combination of actionscipt, mxml, and a custom XML schema to assemble your game. It supports flash vectors, but is designed more towards pixel sprite graphics. Fully supports Adobe's AIR platform, allowing you to compile stand-alone versions of your game for distribution.

Flixel - http://flixel.org/

A smaller engine than PushButton, but still quite capable. One of its most impressive features is the example game that it comes with. (a surprisingly capable platformer/shooter) It also focuses on using pixel sprites. A good place to start if you just feel like modding an existing game.

It's time for another entry here. This time, the subject is...

Corporately Sponsored Indie Development

This might seem like a bit of an oxymoron. But it is a trend that a lot of companies are beginnig to show interest in. Rather than liscencing out copies of software, some companies are finding new ways to monotize the practice of providing development tools to indie game developers.

This approach is especially popular for web games. And with the increasing complexity of browser-based gaming, it is likely to factor heavily into the future of independent, as well as commercial, development. It is now possible to develop games designed to be run in a web browser, with full 3D accelerated graphics. And it was only a matter of time before someone decided to move this into the realm of indie development.

http://www.dreamcreateplay.com/
One such company is Kalydo, which is working on building up a community around their new browser-based 3D engine and toolset. Their current plan seems to be to distribute their tools for free, and retain control over hosting the created games on-line. This strategy insures a regular revenue stream. Even if developers don't want to charge for their games, Kalydo would probably still be able to sell web ad space for popular free titles.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any hands-on time with their toolset yet, so I can't speak directly about what they are offering. Their site indicates that it will be possible to develop full 3D games using their engine, with specs aimed at low-end, integrated graphics chip machines.

http://pushbuttonengine.com/
Another team making a bid for this space is the PushButton Labs. Their approach is different, in that they don't intend to host games themselves. Part of their strategy for earning money is to sell modular components that will extend their engine. One nice thing is that developers will be able to design their own components, and then sell them to other developers.

The PushButton Engine is open source, and built using Flash. So monotizing access to the games in question is not built into the system. Providing a marketplace for developers to buy and sell different pre-built components to each other is an interesting approach.

Microsoft used to be hosting their own version of such a service. They called it PopFly. But unfortunately, it seems they were either not able to make money off of it, or just decided to let it go. PopFly is scheduled to be discontinued. It is unclear exactly why PopFly has bitten the dust. This could be a cautionary tale for this manner of development.

Just a personal update today.

Progress on my iPhone app has been pretty positive, all around. I've gotten the hang of using the touch detection in Cocos2D. One of the base features of the app I'm working on is taking form. I've finally wrapped my brain around the Objective-C syntax, and am handling memory management and variable scope much more effectively. The app hardly ever crashes while I'm working on it now. (a common occurence when I wasn't as familiar) I still need to get the data loading working, but most of the graphical features for the app are in place. (as well as the pipeline for feeding the proper data into them)

I have also decided to try my hand out on the Zero Punctuation game design contest. I started the basics of a game when the contest was first announced, and was able to put in over half a day's worth of work last weekend. But it payed off, and I now have a very solid framework for a flash game. I'll be fleshing out the plot, as well as writing some of the script for the game's cutscenes tonight. Still not certain about the title, I figure I can worry about that later. Unfortunately, according to the rules of the contest, I can't post screenshots on-line.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I would have tried my hand at the ZP contest if it didn't have to be web playable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, a lot of potential participants seem to be put off by the fact that they are restricting it to the Flash platform. On the one hand, I sympathize with those who don't feel they can enter because of this. On the other hand, you'll notice that previously in this thread I spelled out how you can develop Flash games quickly and efficiently without dropping a single dime.

Not every game needs to be a 3D fest, and the Flash platform is quite capable when it comes to most 2D games. Also, I think I stand a pretty good chance of taking this one, so I don't especially mind a reduction in competition.

Hi, I'm wondering if there's any program out there that might help me make this game I've been thinking of. (I don't know any programming, so it'd have to be very user-friendly).

Basically, I want to make a turn-based strategy game similar to chess--everything plays out on a grid. When you move one unit on top of another, there'd be some kind of "auto-resolve" function to determine the winner based on stats.

I'd like to have upgradeable units, and maybe even a dual layer thing (a "world" map and a "battle" map...) but that may be too much. I've looked at a few game-creator programs, but they seem to only work for traditional (dragon-quest style) RPGs or real-time stuff.

[quote name='Mwulf']Hi, I'm wondering if there's any program out there that might help me make this game I've been thinking of. (I don't know any programming, so it'd have to be very user-friendly).

Basically, I want to make a turn-based strategy game similar to chess--everything plays out on a grid. When you move one unit on top of another, there'd be some kind of "auto-resolve" function to determine the winner based on stats.

I'd like to have upgradeable units, and maybe even a dual layer thing (a "world" map and a "battle" map...) but that may be too much. I've looked at a few game-creator programs, but they seem to only work for traditional (dragon-quest style) RPGs or real-time stuff.[/QUOTE]

Without some programming knowledge, this is not going to be easy. I can't think of anything off the shelf that would help you here.

That could probably be done in the Starcraft 2 editor... lol. People have already made various Risk and Chess maps, thus showing it's possible. However, yeah, it's not really anything except a custom map in this case. While not a traditional program, it's always an option. Especially if you plan to get Starcraft 2.

[quote name='Mwulf']Hi, I'm wondering if there's any program out there that might help me make this game I've been thinking of. (I don't know any programming, so it'd have to be very user-friendly).

I'd like to have upgradeable units, and maybe even a dual layer thing (a "world" map and a "battle" map...) but that may be too much. I've looked at a few game-creator programs, but they seem to only work for traditional (dragon-quest style) RPGs or real-time stuff.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this can help!

[quote name='Megazell']
The War Engine

Turn Based Strategy
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes

If you build it, they will play... The War Engine is the ultimate table top war game simulation and replication kit. Limited only by your imagination, all units, weapons and terrain are fully configurable in artwork and stats. Ready made worlds range from sci-fi to fantasy to space to World War 2.

Megazell's Comment - This 'game' won't be for everyone. For those that are into board games or turn based strategy...this is great. I use to make mods way back when. This game feels like you are making a mod yet you are really making a game from scratch without much hassle. Good find for the desktop generals among us.

System Requirements

CPU: 600 Mhz
Memory: 256 Mb
Video: 32 Mb
Hard Drive: 500 Mb

Download it here - http://www.matrixgames.com/products/356/details/The.War.Engine

Screenshots

11hz475.jpg

Click Here!

For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'
[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back