Dawn of War 2: 24.99 at Direct2Drive Ends 7/26

Doesn't this *require* Steam to run? As far as I know, even the retail copy ties itself into your Steam account.. what do you do, buy it from D2D and it registers itself to your Steam? Talk about weird...

Surprised as well Steam / THQ aren't doing this over there as well.

My money is on this being Steam's weekend deal tomorrow, the more I think about it.

Yeah, if this got linked to your Steam account I'd be willing to purchase it
Anybody know about whether or not this is the case?

Hmm, I wonder if the ECA coupon for Direct2Drive combines with this?
Direct2Drive

direct2drive.gif

Offer: ECA members enjoy 15% off the recommended titles below. The discount code is a unique one-time use coupon.

Strategy:
DOW II

I am pretty sure wherever you buy it, steam, direct2drive, retail, it all requires steam, and is linked to your steam account as any other steam game would be

i tried my eca code, which I hadn't used yet, and it said it had expired

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']Yeah, if this got linked to your Steam account I'd be willing to purchase it
Anybody know about whether or not this is the case?[/QUOTE]

According to some poking around the web I did, it does in fact require Steam... so basicially you are just paying for the key to input into Steam. I am still not 100% sure, however, but I'm fairly confident that's the case.

In any event, it's weird one of Steam's competitors is putting a game on sale that just sends people over to Steam and lets them see what that service is all about. But what a mess... buy it from D2D, register it via Steam, and IIRC it needs a Games for Windows account too. That's an awful lot of services for one game.

I have also heard a big update is headed to DOW 2, which is also why I mentioned earlier it might be a Steam weekend deal... they have a history of putting games on sale to coincide with big updates, like they just did with Empire Total War.

It's worth it to wait until tomorrow before you pull the trigger.

I bought it through D2D, downloaded, and it instantly required registration through steam, which I don't mind, because now I can just re-download through the steam client, which I prefer.

So could I buy it and then just input the key they give me into Steam and download it through there instead of D2D? I'd rather download it only once than twice.

Worth mentioning that apparently DoW2 has limited activations via GFWL. Didn't know it when I bought it, and apparently Relic didn't know either, but there you go.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Worth mentioning that apparently DoW2 has limited activations via GFWL. Didn't know it when I bought it, and apparently Relic didn't know either, but there you go.[/QUOTE]

How many activations do you get?

It is odd that one of Steam's competitors is essentially selling Steam activation keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jchoi']How many activiations do you get?

It is odd that one of Steam's competitors is essentially selling Steam activation keys.[/QUOTE]

Whatever brings the $ in.

Honestly, I enjoyed the game play of the original much more than this CoH style but I'm installing the demo and giving it a shot.

[quote name='jchoi']How many activiations do you get?

It is odd that one of Steam's competitors is essentially selling Steam activation keys.[/QUOTE]
It's pretty high, in the 10+ range I gather.

I tried my ECA code too and it said it was expired. I haven't used it on anything else, so I emailed the ECA. They have contacted Direct2Drive and are awaiting a response. I'd like to buy this game, but I want to do so with my discount.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']It's pretty high, in the 10+ range I gather.[/QUOTE]

Well, once it is activated, it's tied to your Steam account so you can download it as many times as you want, correct?

[quote name='Archgarth']Well, once it is activated, it's tied to your Steam account so you can download it as many times as you want, correct?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Any game on that has activation limits continue to have those limits on Steam.

[quote name='mogamer']Nope. Any game on that has activation limits continue to have those limits on Steam.[/QUOTE]
Technically he can download the game as many times as he wants, but if he wants to play it, if GFWL hits the activation limit it won't let him in. Apparently it's a huge pain in the ass to try to get your activations cleared from GFWL too. Really wish I had known all that before I bought DoW2.

[quote name='Archgarth']Well, once it is activated, it's tied to your Steam account so you can download it as many times as you want, correct?[/QUOTE]

Its not steam that has the limit its games for windows live. Apparently on all GFWL games limit how many times the key can be used. Which is wierd because with xbox live a key is tied to you account but with games for windows live its not. Dawn of war 2 is strange because it requires steam and also requires games for windows live....kinda stupid if you ask me.

[quote name='Undeterred']I tried my ECA code too and it said it was expired. I haven't used it on anything else, so I emailed the ECA. They have contacted Direct2Drive and are awaiting a response. I'd like to buy this game, but I want to do so with my discount.[/QUOTE]

any updates yet? since the deal expires Sunday I'm guessing its not looking good for the ECA code to work

Man, I keep trying to buy it, but D2D loads incredibly slow, and on the 2-3 times I actually got to checking out, it kept timing out

Anyone else have difficulty checking out? Since yesterday its been saying that the transaction failed for me when I try to purchase DOW2.

hmm, im trying to get it from D2D and it keeps saying unable to complete transaction. Hopefully they can get back to me before the end of the day so i can still get it. I've never had a problem with D2D before so to me this is strange.

Just bought some DVDs last night, think I'm gonna pass on this
Hopefully it'll be on sale when the new update comes out or whatever someone was talking about earlier lol

I'm still getting transaction failed. I sent an email yesterday morning asking to have one of their customer service people help me check out. Still nothing. Oh well, I shouldn't be spending anymore with the BSG boxset coming out!

I finally got it to go through. I also picked up Titan Quest: Immortal Throne. Those should keep me busy for a while (especially since I'm not finished with TQ by itself). LOL

bread's done
Back