PS3 blinking red light... FIXED

EDiddy0042

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
OK, so I'm sitting in my basement playing some Fallout 3 when my PS3 randomly shuts itself off, leaving a blinking red light instead of the normal green and blue. I tried turning it on and off by both the touch sensitive power on the front and the main power supply on the back and no luck. I've searched google and found too many answers to be sure of what to rely on, other than that they all say the PS3 is "dead". Some have said that removing the hard drive might work, while others recommend sending it to some random people to have them fix the problem.

My system is one of the orignal 60 gb, BC models, so I would hate to have to buy a new system that does not have BC. I am not so much worried about losing my data, as I could honestly care less about the trophies and playing through my games again would save me some money from not having to buy anything new. If anyone has experienced this same problem and gotten it fixed themselves, I would greatly appreciate if they could fill me in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your system is fried. The blinking red light usually means the system has a heat malfunction. Common on the old 60s.

It's either repair or new one.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']OK, so I'm sitting in my basement playing some Fallout 3 when my PS3 randomly shuts itself off, leaving a blinking red light instead of the normal green and blue. I tried turning it on and off by both the touch sensitive power on the front and the main power supply on the back and no luck. I've searched google and found too many answers to be sure of what to rely on, other than that they all say the PS3 is "dead". Some have said that removing the hard drive might work, while others recommend sending it to some random people to have them fix the problem.

My system is one of the orignal 60 gb, BC models, so I would hate to have to buy a new system that does not have BC. I am not so much worried about losing my data, as I could honestly care less about the trophies and playing through my games again would save me some money from not having to buy anything new. If anyone has experienced this same problem and gotten it fixed themselves, I would greatly appreciate if they could fill me in.[/QUOTE]

If you're technically inclined, it may be worth trying to repair the system yourself as it's already out of warranty. Youtube will have lots of videos, I'm sure.

If the whole innards are beyond saving then unfortunately I guess you're out of luck. :whistle2:(

Thanks for the input guys. I wish I was better with computers so I could try and fix it up myself, but I'm gonna have to contact sony and send it in to them.

Isn't the red light just for overheating? A yellow light means hardware failure. I'd give it a try after it cools off (you weren't specific how much time passed).

If it's overheating it would certainly be smart to open it up and clean it out well. I did the same thing to my PS2 to fix a DRE (dusty lens). Repairing a yellow light at home doesn't sound hard, it's just time consuming as you need to take the console apart and run a heat gun over some of the solder points. It's up to you if your time is worth the repair fees, but at least you'll still have YOUR console and all the data.

I have a 60 model as well and so far so good. Since I'm out of warranty I will try to fix it myself before sending it out if anything should go wrong. I don't want a refurb either.

I'd say let it cool down a bit. How do you have it? On a carpet, in an entertainment center, etc?

60 here as well, starting to have problems. The ethernet port is really hit or miss and sometimes the unit won't power on at all. I'll let it sit for a few minutes and then it's fine. I really hope it doesn't die. If it does, does anyone know if Sony will send me back my 60, or would they send a refurb? I definitely would not want a refurb.. If I can't have my 60, I don't want a PS3 at all.

So if I send it to sony there is a good chance I won't get back MY system, correct? In that case, I may look into doing it myself.

As for my system placement, I have it set underneath my TV on a glass shelf. It's set up in my basement which is kept fairly cool year round. I also have my Wii and N64 set up on the same shelf, so maybe I should find another spot for those two systems to give my PS3 some more room. Maybe I'll try plugging it back in and see if it works again.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']So if I send it to sony there is a good chance I won't get back MY system, correct? In that case, I may look into doing it myself.[/QUOTE]

It's 99% likely you won't have the same unit back. Which is a bitch because you'll lose everything you have on there.

I've had the blinking red light of death twice on a 60GB before I had enough and switched it for a new 80GB. If you don't really use it for PS2 games I'd look into switching it out.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']AHA! I fixed it. Thank God for youtube. I took it apart myself and fixed the problem with the direction of a youtube user.[/QUOTE]

Care to share the link or youtube keywords?

The blinking red light is a sight that people that own backwards compatible PS3s see more than they should and any help to self remedy would be appreciated.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']AHA! I fixed it. Thank God for youtube. I took it apart myself and fixed the problem with the direction of a youtube user.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations!!! :applause::applause::applause:

Which video did you watch, BTW?

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU&NR=1

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU&NR=1

The hardest part of the process is keeping everything in order so that it goes back together correctly. Just follow it step by step, pausing the video while your perform each step and it is easy as cake. I don't know if the process would be the same for any of the other models (I would assume so), but if your PS3 gets the YLOD and your warranty is void, I highly recommend using this process.

[quote name='kube00']Did you use your ps3 for extended periods of time?[/QUOTE]

During my Fallout 3 and Oblivion days I could probably have had it running for 5 or 6 hours at a time. Other than that my play time was limited to 1-2 hour increments.

Nice work, I've got a refurb 60 that is starting to go into high fan mode earlier and earlier, hopefully, not in the near future, with this video I will be able to fix it myself.

I've only ever seen this problem occur with the 60s.. maybe it was due to poor manufacturing control with the launch of the system. My 60 went out and I did the reflow repair on the GPU and CPU and it worked again for another week (exactly 7 days) then kicked again. I re-applied thermal paste and reflowed for a second time, got it working again and when I took it home it 'beep beep beeeped' me in the face!

I've repaired 2 other PS3s and one is still working and the other isn't; I know this other guy that specializes in PS3 repairs off craigslist and he told me that EVERY reflow fix he's done on 60g PS3s have come back multiple times. So bottom line is if you haven't opened you system up already, just pay the $150 to sony to get a new refurbished system with a new warrantee. Or just buy a new 80 or 160 PS3 like I did, the newer ones are more stable, run quiter and cooler anyway. Chances are you wont miss playing PS2 games or using the memory card ports, you can buy PS2s for under $50 and you can manipulate memory still through the usb.

Do these people think to clean the PS3 out well? Dust is probably why they overheated in the first place and likely why the problem would repeat itself so soon.

Don't get too excited, it will die again soon. Once the PS3 has a problem, it can never be fixed permanently. If its working, best thing to do is de-activate the accounts on it, back up your saves, and move them to a new PS3. Your PS3 WILL die again, if not in a few days, then at most a month. Ive tried this fix on many PS3s, they all work for a while and all die again over and over.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']During my Fallout 3 and Oblivion days I could probably have had it running for 5 or 6 hours at a time. Other than that my play time was limited to 1-2 hour increments.[/QUOTE]

Is the fix you done from the youtube video still working
I only ask cos im having the same problem with my 60 gig
and am thinking of trying it

Yep, this wednesday it'll be two weeks and its still running flawlessly. However, as I advised earlier, if you still have a warranty I would go with the Sony route. The fix isn't hard, though, so if your warranty is gone I would say take a swing at it. And just a note, I'm not a very technically gifted person (this was really the first piece of electronic equipment I ever took apart and put back together), so all it takes is a little concentration to perform the fix yourself.

If you do choose to take it apart, get a bunch of sandwich baggies and keep all the screws separate from eachother and place them with the part of the system they go with. Best of luck.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']Yep, this wednesday it'll be two weeks and its still running flawlessly. However, as I advised earlier, if you still have a warranty I would go with the Sony route. The fix isn't hard, though, so if your warranty is gone I would say take a swing at it. And just a note, I'm not a very technically gifted person (this was really the first piece of electronic equipment I ever took apart and put back together), so all it takes is a little concentration to perform the fix yourself.

If you do choose to take it apart, get a bunch of sandwich baggies and keep all the screws separate from eachother and place them with the part of the system they go with. Best of luck.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious -- how much dust was inside your PS3 when you opened it up?

Eh... a very substantial amount. It wasn't filled with dust, but there were little dust boogies all over the motherboard and the other pieces, and the fan had a thin coating of dust. That could've contributed to the problem

[quote name='EDiddy0042']Yep, this wednesday it'll be two weeks and its still running flawlessly. However, as I advised earlier, if you still have a warranty I would go with the Sony route. The fix isn't hard, though, so if your warranty is gone I would say take a swing at it. And just a note, I'm not a very technically gifted person (this was really the first piece of electronic equipment I ever took apart and put back together), so all it takes is a little concentration to perform the fix yourself.

If you do choose to take it apart, get a bunch of sandwich baggies and keep all the screws separate from eachother and place them with the part of the system they go with. Best of luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Heaps
I am out of warranty with sony I live in Australia and had the 60 gig PS3 4 a couple of years
If it was still under warranty I would have taken it there 4 sure
im not technically gifted ethier

Ps (do u have the email 4 the guy on the youtube video?)

60 gig PS3s sure do seem to have a habit of failing 24 months or so after purchase. Making me a bit queasy now that mine's hitting the two year mark.

[quote name='kiwi73au']Thanks Heaps
I am out of warranty with sony I live in Australia and had the 60 gig PS3 4 a couple of years
If it was still under warranty I would have taken it there 4 sure
im not technically gifted ethier

Ps (do u have the email 4 the guy on the youtube video?)[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I was unable to find the email address. If you have a youtube account though, you could always just shoot him a PM via youtube.

Did yours blink red then yellow at any point? Read that yellow means it is the power supply.

>>Well I see 'hardware failure' in general now. not sure which it is yet on mine..

[quote name='NamPaehc']Did yours blink red then yellow at any point? Read that yellow means it is the power supply.

>>Well I see 'hardware failure' in general now. not sure which it is yet on mine..[/QUOTE]

If I looked close enough at the light, I noticed that it was a green/red light first (making it appear yellow) and then it would just kick to a straight blinking red. However, mine never flashed red once and then had a constant yellow.

have there been any ps3 deaths with the 80gb bc models? ive been doing what i can to clear it out of dust but i get that feeling i could clean it better by opening it up. also when you send in a bc console to get repaired and get a refurb is it still the same kind of system like if you send in a 60gb you will get another 60gb jut not yours?

[quote name='bornrunnin31']fuck! This just happened to me. I really hope that youtube video up there works.[/QUOTE]
Double you tee eff man...
Metaly was right, first Randy, them me, now you... Sony is remotely destroying PS3s right before the slim's launch.:lol:

[quote name='mguiddy']Double you tee eff man...
Metaly was right, first Randy, them me, now you... Sony is remotely destroying PS3s right before the slim's launch.:lol:[/QUOTE]

That is some strategy they got there to get people to adopt.

[quote name='lokizz']have there been any ps3 deaths with the 80gb bc models? ive been doing what i can to clear it out of dust but i get that feeling i could clean it better by opening it up. also when you send in a bc console to get repaired and get a refurb is it still the same kind of system like if you send in a 60gb you will get another 60gb jut not yours?[/QUOTE]

I have not heard of this occurring with any systems other than the 60's, so as far as I know you are safe. And I believe that's how the refurb system works, although don't hold me to it as I've never done it.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']I have not heard of this occurring with any systems other than the 60's, so as far as I know you are safe. And I believe that's how the refurb system works, although don't hold me to it as I've never done it.[/QUOTE]

I had 2 80 gig MGS4 bundles YLOD on me. Happened to my brothers 40 gig also.

[quote name='lokizz']have there been any ps3 deaths with the 80gb bc models? ive been doing what i can to clear it out of dust but i get that feeling i could clean it better by opening it up. also when you send in a bc console to get repaired and get a refurb is it still the same kind of system like if you send in a 60gb you will get another 60gb jut not yours?[/QUOTE]

There's no guarantee the refurb will be the same model, though it typically is.

[quote name='mguiddy']Double you tee eff man...
Metaly was right, first Randy, them me, now you... Sony is remotely destroying PS3s right before the slim's launch.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Mine broke too on Monday night. Gotta get a heat gun to borrow or something, main thing I need to see if this works.

>>>Saw this on the PS boards while digging up info.

YLOD-2.jpg

The one that i got fixed by sony back in may died on me in July, now I am on my third PS3 and feeling a little paranoid about using it. Right now i am seriously considering getting a slim and selling off my old 60g. (still have a pstwo slim for BC)

Does that seem like a reasonable fear/solution?

[quote name='jonlubbe']The one that i got fixed by sony back in may died on me in July, now I am on my third PS3 and feeling a little paranoid about using it. Right now i am seriously considering getting a slim and selling off my old 60g. (still have a pstwo slim for BC)

Does that seem like a reasonable fear/solution?[/QUOTE]

That's what I did.

My original 60 gave up the ghost after 13 months. It's replacement died within the 3 month 'warranty' they give with the repair. The replacement went straight to ebay and got me a 80GB non/bc phatty. Never needed BC tbh, loss of 2 usb spots I'm living with. It's a lot quieter and runs less hot. I'm presuming the slims are even better.

[quote name='jonlubbe']The one that i got fixed by sony back in may died on me in July, now I am on my third PS3 and feeling a little paranoid about using it. Right now i am seriously considering getting a slim and selling off my old 60g. (still have a pstwo slim for BC)

Does that seem like a reasonable fear/solution?[/QUOTE]

If you have the PS2 for BC, then I don't see why you wouldn't do that. You would be getting a brand new system that would hopefully have all the kinks worked out and would have no issues. My only reason for keeping my 60 is that I don't have a PS2 and I still play a decent amount of PS2 games that I own and I occassionally go out and buy one or two older classics that I missed playing before. So I would say that after two glitched systems, your fear is reasonable and the solution would work out no matter how you looked at it.

Going to try and repair my YLOD 60gb tonight using the "Gilksy fix" that can be found online. I'll report back with my results. Most likely though, if it does work I'm gonna give it to GS for $150 and pick up a slim because the early models are obviously flawed.

Gilksy's info worked for me. At least... I got it to boot, haven't tried any games. Was a little nervous because it was so quiet. Thought the fan might not be in right but it is working.

There wasn't much dust inside which was confusing. My room is fairly dusty so I figured that was the issue. I now think it was the sorry gunk Sony put on the GPU/CPU, plus bad ventilation on my part. Hopefully this new compound works better and I will take better care of where I leave my PS3 so it gets more cool air.

This was a refurbished 60GB. Went out once long ago, shipped it in and they sent it back fixed under warrenty. Then there was an issue with it back when GTA4 came out (the freezing fiasco). They offered to repair it even out of warranty then. Sent me a different refurbished 60GB that I have now. Think that was "Aprilish" of '08. No free repair this time...

Also I picked up my heat gun at Harbour Freight Tools. Had a cheap little $20 one online. But when I got there, they were on sell for $9. Only gets up to 572 degrees on low but it did the job fine. Also there is another one that gets a bit hotter, same price, but was out of stock at my location.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Gilksy's info worked for me. At least... I got it to boot, haven't tried any games. Was a little nervous because it was so quiet. Thought the fan might not be in right but it is working.

There wasn't much dust inside which was confusing. My room is fairly dusty so I figured that was the issue. I now think it was the sorry gunk Sony put on the GPU/CPU, plus bad ventilation on my part. Hopefully this new compound works better and I will take better care of where I leave my PS3 so it gets more cool air.

This was a refurbished 60GB. Went out once long ago, shipped it in and they sent it back fixed under warrenty. Then there was an issue with it back when GTA4 came out (the freezing fiasco). They offered to repair it even out of warranty then. Sent me a different refurbished 60GB that I have now. Think that was "Aprilish" of '08. No free repair this time...

Also I picked up my heat gun at Harbour Freight Tools. Had a cheap little $20 one online. But when I got there, they were on sell for $9. Only gets up to 572 degrees on low but it did the job fine. Also there is another one that gets a bit hotter, same price, but was out of stock at my location.[/QUOTE]

I noticed the difference in noise as well- when I first fixed mine, it was eerily quiet. And the heat adhesive that Sony used must've been made of bubblegum or something, because my cpu and gpu had almost nothing on them but a transparent coating.

So I was able to fix my YLOD last night. Unfortunately, I managed to screw up something with the BD drive because it would take and eject discs, but they wouldn't show up in the XMB. Pretty sure it's because I accidentally broke the little flap that clamps down the connector ribbon. Then, when I was testing that out, I turned the system off without ejecting the disc first and the system didn't recognize it as in so I had to find another way to get it out. So I had the bright idea to open the BD drive myself since it was out anyway to get the disc out, which turns out is a BAD IDEA. It messes up the hinges that take the disc in, and I haven't found any good info on how to fix that yet.

So yeah, YLOD is fixable but be careful when handling the motherboard and the ribbon clamps on it.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']So I was able to fix my YLOD last night. Unfortunately, I managed to screw up something with the BD drive because it would take and eject discs, but they wouldn't show up in the XMB. Pretty sure it's because I accidentally broke the little flap that clamps down the connector ribbon. Then, when I was testing that out, I turned the system off without ejecting the disc first and the system didn't recognize it as in so I had to find another way to get it out. So I had the bright idea to open the BD drive myself since it was out anyway to get the disc out, which turns out is a BAD IDEA. It messes up the hinges that take the disc in, and I haven't found any good info on how to fix that yet.

So yeah, YLOD is fixable but be careful when handling the motherboard and the ribbon clamps on it.[/QUOTE]

ahh the old ribbon fiasco, I was very careful with that in years past when I had to fix DRE's back in the day (Phat Ps2), like I was disarming a bomb

[quote name='bornrunnin31']So I was able to fix my YLOD last night. Unfortunately, I managed to screw up something with the BD drive because it would take and eject discs, but they wouldn't show up in the XMB. Pretty sure it's because I accidentally broke the little flap that clamps down the connector ribbon. Then, when I was testing that out, I turned the system off without ejecting the disc first and the system didn't recognize it as in so I had to find another way to get it out. So I had the bright idea to open the BD drive myself since it was out anyway to get the disc out, which turns out is a BAD IDEA. It messes up the hinges that take the disc in, and I haven't found any good info on how to fix that yet.

So yeah, YLOD is fixable but be careful when handling the motherboard and the ribbon clamps on it.[/QUOTE]
I hesitate to mention it, but I thought I broke my blu ray drive too.
When I was taking the screws out of the box I kept them in, one slipped out of my hand and I thought it went inside my PS3 (it just hit the PS3 and bounced on the floor), so I figured "Hold the loose parts and flip it upside down." I didn't realize the blu ray drive wasn't screwed down so out flopped the blu ray drive and the cable popped out. Luckily I pushed it in, pushed the clip down, and everything was fine.:lol:

Sucks you fixed it only to break it.

My 60GB lasted from July, 2007 to September, 2009. Got the YLOD on Wednesday.

Finally got around to fixing it today using the Gilksy videos, and it's working again. I've kind of lost my faith in the hardware, though, and don't expect this fix to last too long (hopefully through Uncharted 2).

bread's done
Back