- - - - -

Borderlands Discussion Thread - Game of the Year Edition Available Now!

#31 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:27 AM

Whew! Lots of previews/interviews to sort through today! But it's good that people have finally gotten their hands on it and a lot of the impressions are very postive. Here's a list of pros and cons I've come up with today based on what I've read:

PROS:
-Great controls. Call of duty-esque feel.
-People were really digging the graphics (art style).
-A lot of "it was over too soon" feelings.
-Gun generator does not disappoint. Very distinct weapons.
-Classes special abilities are fun to use (turret, phase walk, etc).
-Coop works really well.

CONS:
-Few rough edges in visuals.
-A few cases of identical weapons with minor stat differences (reload speed, fire rate, range, etc)
-Loot is a little cumbersome to pick up. Have to be looking directly at it and press a button.
-A lot of stuff people are still curious about (inventory? armor?)
-So far a lot better than Hellgate: London and Too Human.

#32 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

http://gbxforums.gea...t=71862&page=20

Found a post on the official Borderlands forum from Mikey Neuman (MikeZ) "the guy who can get things, if you wanna know about borderlands," regarding armor:

"Armor" in Borderlands can be broken down into one of two schools of thought.

Statistics and Visuals. It's all represented, just probably not in the traditional sense you're thinking of.

We have a very robust system for upgrading your character in ways that are not weapons. You can upgrade:

-Shields
-Class Mod
-Artifacts

All of these added together provide the same ability to customize your character as a traditional RPG, albeit in a slightly simplified matter. A shield is basically what keeps you alive, but with thousands upon thousands of them around, you're sure to find some that do really interesting things (faster recharge, higher capacity, do damage to enemies, light **** on fire, make you breakfast, etc.)

In addition there are class mods which do all matter of crazy things. Class mods are specific to Hunter, Siren, Besersker, Soldier, and can affect any number of things. Some buff your existing skill tree stats, some increase individual skills as well as well as Co-Op skills (i.e. stand next to Mordecai and your accuracy goes way up!) Some do crazy stuff like multiply the number of bullets you fire each time you fire your gun... the list goes on. I'm just listing off the crap I've seen-- and there's no way I've seen all of it.

Artifacts are another type of collectible gear. These are rare, and they can have really insane effects. The one I have on my Bloodwing right now actually blows people up on contact... it's crazy. And hilarious. And everyone loves a bird that can blow people up. That's the only one I'll spoil... Artifacts are the super happiest drop you'll find in Borderlands.

And as for visuals. We separated the visual customizations of the characters from the gear upgrades to allow people to look how they want without affecting their gear. Like in some games... you end up looking like a total dork just to get the stats you need. Not so in Borderlands. The characters can be customized and re-customized at any New-U station around Pandora.

I think I answered that to the best of my ability. Please refrain from eating the chairs.

Peace.

Also:

Yes, there are tons of shields that protect against certain types of damage. Some protect against multiple, some are all purpose. This is represented visually in the game, so you know if you're trying to light some fool on fire that is protected from that, you can switch and electrocute him into marshmellow goo.

ALSO:

I didn't mention grenade upgrades (which are plentiful and hilarious) or ammo upgrades for all of the ammo types...

It sounds like a cool system. A little bummed about the lack of visual customization, but it's small potatoes, IMO. Perhaps the color customization will be enough. Those artifacts sound awesome though.

Hope this info is helpful to any of those who were wondering about armor/shields/etc.

EDIT: ANOTHER post from MikeZ about customization:

The New-U stations are being shown off everywhere people are playing the game. I think it would be a safe bet to reel in your expectations a little bit about the visual customization, though.

Bummer. Oh well. It makes sense though. I hated looking like a clown reject during the first 50 levels of WoW.

#33 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:31 AM

Rock, Paper, Shotgun: RPS Interogation - Randy Pitchford vs The Fans

RP answers questions from the community. Here's an interesting question regarding the difference between the console and PC version.

Pasmith: Should we buy the Xbox or PC version of Borderlands? What, if anything, is different between them.
"It’s tough. It’s very tough, I’ll tell ya. On one level I do like sitting on my couch with the surround sound and the wireless controller, on the other level I mean you will not get a better-looking image than in the PC version of the game. And when you’re playing a first-person shooter, the mouse and keyboard interface is still the best way to go. It’s a tough thing. At work I play the PC version, because I’m in an office setting, my computer’s in front of me, I’ve got a nice monitor and when I play at home I do play on the couch with my 360. But the PC version destroys all the console versions in terms of the image fidelity – assuming you have the hardware for it."

Edited by DukeEdwardI, 15 September 2009 - 08:58 AM.

#34 Geello   Walked into Mordor CAGiversary!   315 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

Definitely watching this one. Might be the first game I pay full price for in a long time!

#35 darthbudge   The Real DB CAGiversary!   20048 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

Posted Image

#36 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:06 AM

Ha, yeah I just saw that today. It's not what I was expecting...

#37 Hydro2Oxide   Shazbot! CAGiversary!   4773 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

I like what they're going for but it comes off as honestly, one of the worst cover arts I've seen. It looks like a comic book, but not a very good one.

#38 darthbudge   The Real DB CAGiversary!   20048 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

Personally, I absolutely love that cover art.

#39 crystalklear64   Ded CAGiversary!   13617 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

crystalklear64

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

looks really cheesy, which seems to fit the new feel of the game, so i'd say they succeeded in promoting the image further.

#40 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

Added the boxart to the OP (thanks darthbudge). Also PC Borderlands will NOT have achievements as it's not a GFW title. This is a good thing IMO since GFWL hasn't done anything good for me.

#41 Ryukahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3668 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

To be honest, I had never heard of this game until yesterday when I read the article about the cover art (which I think is terrible due to the suicide reference). Just now is the first time I actually read anything about it, and cover aside, I'm actually interested in the game since it seems very similar to PSO and Diablo 2. Will definitely be keeping an eye on it, though I can't imagine purchasing it until Steam has a sale on it.

#42 fatmanforlife99   I need a weapon. CAGiversary!   2997 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

fatmanforlife99

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

I tested this game for the 360 at their studio, It's not that great of a game tbh.

#43 Hydro2Oxide   Shazbot! CAGiversary!   4773 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:08 PM

I tested this game for the 360 at their studio, It's not that great of a game tbh.

Elaborate. Now. Every detail.

#44 fatmanforlife99   I need a weapon. CAGiversary!   2997 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

fatmanforlife99

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Elaborate. Now. Every detail.

Hahaha. I just dont believe its a good game. Plot is pretty fucking stupid, some dumb fucking enemies, weapons are not that bad ass. The FPS/RPG mix is not really implemented that well. IDK just overall a horrible IP, should of sticked with the marine game they were making.

#45 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:30 AM

Hahaha. I just dont believe its a good game. Plot is pretty fucking stupid, some dumb fucking enemies, weapons are not that bad ass. The FPS/RPG mix is not really implemented that well. IDK just overall a horrible IP, should of sticked with the marine game they were making.

:roll: What a buzzkill you are.

#46 zewone   Thursday CAGiversary!   43156 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:37 AM

You seem sort of too stupid for this to be true.

#47 fatmanforlife99   I need a weapon. CAGiversary!   2997 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

fatmanforlife99

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:11 AM

How do you figure that zewone? I would really like to know what you mean by that.

Since their headquarters are in Plano, Texas about a 20 min drive from where I live, it's pretty plausible. So Idk why you come in here saying I am too stupid. nothing but a troll.

To duke, sorry dude, the guy wanted the details. Just trying to save you 40-50 bucks.

#48 crystalklear64   Ded CAGiversary!   13617 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

crystalklear64

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

:lol: @ "details"

#49 Teh Nitwit   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   511 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Teh Nitwit

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

I've lost most interest in it when I learned it was FPS. Fatman's summary is a final nail in the coffin for me. If it gets very high reviews I may reconsider though.

#50 Hydro2Oxide   Shazbot! CAGiversary!   4773 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

Yeah I'm inclined to agree. Those aren't really details. You didn't tell me why the story was bad or anything about it, how the enemies acted stupid. If you're under NDA I get it but that would also mean it was an alpha/beta of the game and it's likely only to improve from that point.

#51 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

Yeah those details weren't really details at all. You just bashed the game without any explanation whatsoever. I'm also not inclined to believe much of what you say since almost all the articles I've posted in the OP say almost all positive things. I'll believe those 10+ articles before I believe one random person on a message board.

#52 fatmanforlife99   I need a weapon. CAGiversary!   2997 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

fatmanforlife99

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

Sucks to be you then, waste your money.

#53 irideabike   no show CAGiversary!   6039 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

irideabike

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

:lol::booty:

i really hope none of you are taking this kid seriously.

#54 AceFan84   KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!! CAGiversary!   1794 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

I don't trust anyone that has Brock Lesnar as his avatar.

#55 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

IGN: Gearbox Explains Borderlands' Graphic Cover

An interview with Randy Pitchford about the new box art.

"I think the idea the cover is going for is pretty clear – Borderlands will blow your mind," Pitchford exclaimed.

Edited by DukeEdwardI, 15 September 2009 - 08:55 AM.

#56 bg88   Michael Mann fan CAGiversary!   343 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:45 AM

If you are going to come in here and rip on a game that others are looking forward to, you could at least talk like you actually played it. You have said you played it and yet you didn't elaborate on any of your points. You just say that the plot is stupid and the enemies are dumb....you don't mention why these things are terrible. I haven't played the game so I can't guarantee it won't be a poor game. I think this game looks pretty cool and I hope that everyone else in this thread will wait for actual reviews.....from people that don't have Brock Lesnar in their avatar.

#57 Poor2More   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4008 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:53 AM

Fatmans post or so called details are something I normally run across on GameFaqs from Trolls. weird the hands on impressions I heard from publications are praising this game highly for the loot system and being very similar to diablo II in that aspect. You could be right, but your details are too shallow to be taken seriously, so with a grain of salt it is.

#58 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

2 new videos from Gametrailers.com today. The gameplay montage was actually uploaded earlier this week, so sorry about being late on that.

Gametrailers: GC09 - Randy Pitchford Interview
Gametrailers: Gameplay Montage

Edited by DukeEdwardI, 15 September 2009 - 08:54 AM.

#59 Hydro2Oxide   Shazbot! CAGiversary!   4773 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

Gah, I'm so torn. Which class do I want to play? Which system? Which spec? I'm leaning to PC but Splitscreen sounds like a blast.

Man this game is going to be so awesome.

#60 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2186 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:41 AM

I found this picture of a skill tree while reading a very well written and detailed post from the people who won some contests and got to go play Borderlands at the Gearbox office in Plano, Texas. Link below the picture.

Posted Image

Information from Borderlands Players

From what I've read, you'll have enough points to max out one of those trees and have a handful left over. I believe you can respec whenever you wish. A lot of skills were passive from what what I read (higher crit chance, more damage, etc).

The skill tree looks pretty good, if a little bare. Doesn't seem to be too many skills/talents to invest in. But then again, it is more of a shooter.

Edited by DukeEdwardI, 15 September 2009 - 08:51 AM.