Limited Collectible: Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance Promo Edition (PS2) $30 A/C at GQD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[rightimg]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5198&pictureid=8405[/rightimg]GameQuest Direct has informed CAG that they have exclusively acquired the last 1018 units of this out-of-print game directly from Midway. For more information on this game's history, read the official story here.

Currently down to the last 900 units, GQD has issued a coupon code to the CAG community for a limited time. To get $10 off, use coupon code: MKDACAG3 at checkout. Coupon expires August 1st or when quota is met. Prices are expected to increase when GQD is down to the last 100 pieces.

:ps2: Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance Promo Edition $29.99 after coupon

very nice. the collector in me must get this but damn money is a tad bit tight with my best friend's wedding coming up... fuck

oh well I think I will bite the bullet on this one.

So the only thing different from the regular edition is the "Promotional copy" stamp on the cover? I think I'll pass, especially for $30.

I don't understand what the fuss would be... the game was alright when it came out, but hasn't aged well I'm sure. Let alone the collectability of a greatest hits game that can be bought for $5 used at gs.

kids these days.......

A promo copy for $30? Just buy a regular one on half.com for $2. No reason to buy this one folks, I really doubt this one's "Exclusiveness" & long term value as well.

Great for hardcore collectors (I used to be...) but marriage and life has "forbid" me to make purchases such as this anymore... :(

I have to admit when I first saw this, I thought of the CAG April Fool's pranks. The weather's a bit hot for that ;)

Just looked- I have one I bought at CC for one cent. Never opened.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 5 or 6 of the Xbox version of this for 1 cent each at the huge July 4th Circuit City sale of 04.

[quote name='JMClarkent']If they throw in free shipping, I'll consider taking one for free...[/QUOTE]
that's a little too much for me, maybe if I got a few coupons or something.

Ok so I guess I'm not the only one that didn't think this was anything special. I also remember seeing tons of these at circuit city.

So a company that is destroying the value of collectable games by reprinting them is trying to sell this item to collectors ....

I mean common I own tons of MK games and some collector editions to boot, but 30 bucks after a coupon for a greatest hits promo copy .... common....

I initially thought it was some retail kit edition that came with some cool stuff. Come on, that's no more than a regular edition marked for promotional use (and granted, a security sticker on top) and they want $30 for it. What a Rip-off.

So what distinguishing factors set this edition apart to make it valuable? Well, in addition to its origin of production, limited availability, and the current scarcity in the market, this version of Deadly Alliance still displays the coveted Sony UPC sticker on top.
Now I see why this is worth purchasing.... the coveted Sony UPC sticker!!!!

I'm a hardcore collector for version differences and even I would pass this one up.

[quote name='RandyTsai']told you guys. do not support these jerk offs[/quote]

Whoa whoa whoa there, Randy. GQD is anything but jerk offs. This just isn't their best discovery.

Is this a joke?

Seriously?

This is the exact opposite of what a post on cheapassgamer should look like.

I used to have one of these.. what a dumb thing to spend your hard earned money on. :\

Hey btw, if anyone has any mint/complete copies of MK: Deception: Kollectors Edition for Xbox that they want to get rid of.. let me know please.

Calling this a collectible is a joke. This was given away for free when you pre-ordered Armageddon. Did I mention this was free????? They gave away tens of thousands of copies. Now they want $40 ($30 for us I guess) for essentially a non-retail freebie that is in ugly greatest hits colors and wasn't even a great game? Oh, they also have over a thousand of them...Give me a break. This is an insult. Do not deal with these jokers.

I'm sorry....why the hell is this front page news? $30 for a promo copy of a game that can be had for a few bucks. Cheapy, I think you forgot what site you run. :roll:

Doesn't deserve a front page ad...
Seriously, I doubt this will ever be worth more than the $30 some sucker is willing to pay for it lol

Hmm. I could have a copy of Street Fighter IV for $10 less....
I wonder what other Midway swag we may see pop of for sale. Didn't Acclaim put some stuff up for auction when they kicked the bucket? Kinda funny how both kompanies associated with Mortal Kombat got a fatality in the end.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I have to admit when I first saw this, I thought of the CAG April Fool's pranks. The weather's a bit hot for that ;)

Just looked- I have one I bought at CC for one cent. Never opened.[/QUOTE]

Me too~! I thought I was the only one...

I was one of those that got one of these for free on Xbox with a Preorder of Armageddon (sold my PS2 normal copy). Are they really expecting to make $30,000 off of these? I bet they bought them from Midway for more then they are worth and are forced to charge $30 to make anything back.

I wonder if the promo copies of Midway Arcade Treasures 2 will be next. Those were free when you bought I think Area 51 and possibly for PS2 or XBox. I bought a few of them for a penny each from TRU years ago.

Seriously? This is making the front page? GameQuest Direct must be offering some really good revenue to buy out the front page like that.

Really this is no deal. I can't find any mention of these promotional versions being worth anything more than their retail counterparts anywhere. And when the retail version only goes for $2, it's hardly a steal.

Limited Edition Greatest hits ps2 games Cheapy?

Hardly, I got these for a penny at Circuit City....

*I hope GameQuestDirect paid you enough for this*

The guys at GQD are good guys; the company is much more honest than they were back when they promoted their first generation of reprints as a "warehouse find". But deals like this just aren't well received on CAG.

I've made the same mistake in the past, offering out-of-print or rare games as our daily deal in the $30-$40 range. You think you're offering a decent deal by undercutting the Amazon/ebay going rate, but the only people the deal is going to appeal to are the hardcore collectors.

Someone nailed it on the head a while ago when they said GQD probably overpaid a bit for these and have to charge $30 to make a decent profit. I'm sure they would sell them at $20 if they could.

Well, it does deserve a post. Anything rare/collectible should get a mention on the boards, no matter what the price. But I cannot see how this got on the front page.

Haha, I think I have a copy of this free from my Circuit City days. Interesting to see that it's even worth anything, granted I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay this much for it anyway.

Obviously this is a very niche item that will appeal only to a serious collector and yet I'm sure there are many serious collectors who have no interest in this as well.

GQD bought a very small amount of ad inventory in the front page 300x250 ad slot. This was not a large ad buy, nor did they pay for a front page news post. They are one of the very few retailers who have provided our community with exclusive coupon codes and have done so on many occasions. In an instance such as this, I'm happy to help them out with a front page post. I also feel it benefits CAG as it shows that we can get retailers to throw custom promotions our way.

It's one of the prerogatives of owning this site. I posted about a game my friends produced called Soldner-X and there wasn't even a deal (or ad buy) involved. From time to time, I do things like this...because I can.

It seems like many of you are upset, so if you find that post personally offensive, you have my apologies, although, I can't promise that it won't happen again.

If a sponsor does pay for a front page news post, you will see it detailed in the post itself.

I'd be happy to discuss my ethics or judgment further, but would prefer it not be in this thread. If someone wants to make a thread in the CAG News/Feedback forum, that would be ideal, although I fear it's too late to salvage this thread from that topic. ;)

bread's done
Back