GameStop return policy?

elessar123

CAGiversary!
Feedback
196 (100%)
I have no idea if this has been posted before. I looked at the threads the search found, and they didn't apply.

Anyways, today, I went into a GameStop to return a new (still shrink wrapped) copy of a strategy guide I bought with store credit less than 7 days ago, with receipt. I got a lecture from the lady there saying that being able to return it is not policy, and she's doing me a one-time courtesy, and was basically very rude about it.

So for the Gamestop employees out there... was she telling the truth? I'm thinking about calling the district manager or corporate about this, considering I've bought 100+ games there and have returned 4 things total, including today, and had never had anyone else ever say anything about the other 3 returns (1 return was a sealed game, 2 returns were stupid me buying games I already had in my collection).

What do you guys think?

I'm not really sure about it since it's a strategy guide, but since it was still wrapped I think it's okay. I would call about it, though. She shouldn't have been rude.

[quote name='elessar123']I have no idea if this has been posted before. I looked at the threads the search found, and they didn't apply.

Anyways, today, I went into a GameStop to return a new (still shrink wrapped) copy of a strategy guide I bought with store credit less than 7 days ago, with receipt. I got a lecture from the lady there saying that being able to return it is not policy, and she's doing me a one-time courtesy, and was basically very rude about it.

So for the Gamestop employees out there... was she telling the truth? I'm thinking about calling the district manager or corporate about this, considering I've bought 100+ games there and have returned 4 things total, including today, and had never had anyone else ever say anything about the other 3 returns (1 return was a sealed game, 2 returns were stupid me buying games I already had in my collection).

What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

Here's their policy (it's the online policy, but there is a link to the instore return policy):
http://bacn.me/9it

From my receipt:

Returns and exchanges are subject to the following guidelines:
- A receipt is required for all returns and exchanges
- Unopened new merchandise may be returned for refund or exchanged within 30 days of purchase

And I'm not typing the rest out. Point is, she was being a bitch. It was unopened, you had the receipt, you should have been in the clear. I wouldn't go to that GameStop anymore.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Here's their policy (it's the online policy, but there is a link to the instore return policy):
http://bacn.me/9it[/QUOTE]

The link was kind of uncalled for. It's not something one can necessarily Google.

as a former employee, i was never told about any exceptions for returns SAVE opened merchandise, or known scammers. she shouldn't have given you a problem and if you look at the bottom of your receipt, tehre is a feedback line you can complain about there. they take those things REALLY seriously and know that if you complain there, use store #'s and names, i guarantee you'll see a change sometime soon.

note: my manager told me before, if the customer looks legit and doesn't even have a receipt, just do the return. it'll take more time to argue with them, drive away business, and make you look like a douche than to just do it.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Here's their policy (it's the online policy, but there is a link to the instore return policy):
http://bacn.me/9it[/QUOTE]

Um, ok... I have looked at the return policy GIVEN to customers, so I'm asking Gamestop employees about the part not given, what's wrong with that? According to the policy and receipt:

Returns and exchanges are subject to the following guidelines:
• A receipt is required for all returns and exchanges.
As I said, I had a receipt.

• Unopened new merchandise may be returned for a refund or exchanged within 30 days of purchase.
It's under 7 days, so definitely under 30 days.

• Opened new merchandise may be exchanged for the identical item within 30 days of purchase but, with the exception of opened new accessories, cannot be returned for a refund.
• Used (pre-owned) merchandise and opened new accessories may be returned for a refund within 7 days of purchase or exchanged for the identical item within 30 days of purchase.
Neither of these apply.

• We reserve the right to refuse any return and to require that certain items be returned directly to the manufacturer.
This is really the only part that she could have given me any trouble over, which, again, is not clear to me, as I'm not a Gamestop employee.

Refunds are issued in the original payment type. Cash purchases over $150 and all check purchases are subject to a refund by check issued
from our corporate office within 14 business days. Customers with a gift receipt will only receive an exchange or a gift card of equal value.
We reserve the right to refuse any return.
Paid with credit on my Edge card, wanted it back on my Edge card....

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']The link was kind of uncalled for. It's not something one can necessarily Google.[/QUOTE]

As far as I can tell, he asked what the return policy is. I linked it, in a snarky, message board kind of way. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Yeah, if it was opened thats a different thing, because you could have just used it and then returned it. She was definitely being a bitch and I hope she gets a one time courtesy kick in the ass from her manager or DM.

So updating. The district manager called me right before noon as I was returning from GameStop (lol, Silent Hill for $16 used, different GameStop), and said I was correct that it's the policy to allow returns for new items. He had already called the manager at that store to make sure that the employee understands that it's not a courtesy, but policy, and hinted at a mark on her record about it.

Oh, and I mentioned asking on forums about it in my feedback yesterday, and the DM said it was a great idea. Go CAG!

thinking about returning FEAR 2 which was purchased yesterday for $20. Just dont like the game, its a brand new copy which was gutted when I purchased it. Still have recpeit, so I can just return it for full refund?

[quote name='osugsxr']thinking about returning FEAR 2 which was purchased yesterday for $20. Just dont like the game, its a brand new copy which was gutted when I purchased it. Still have recpeit, so I can just return it for full refund?[/QUOTE]

no. they're not a rental service. for new copies, they put the clear sticker on there.

bread's done
Back