Google Voice Discussion

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I just got an invite for it today. Haven't tried it out or picked out a number, but should be interesting, well I hope it is at least.

One number for all your calls and SMS

* Call screening - Announce and screen callers
* Listen in - Listen before taking a call
* Block calls - Keep unwanted callers at bay
* SMS - Send, receive, and store SMS
* Place calls - Call US numbers for free
* Taking calls - Answer on any of your phones
* Phone routing - Phones ring based on who calls
* Forwarding phones - Add phones and decide which ring

Voicemail as easy as email, with transcripts

* Voicemail transcripts - Read what your voicemail says
* Listen to voicemail - Check online or from your phone
* Notifications - Receive voicemails via email or SMS
* Personalize greeting - Vary greetings by caller
* Share voicemail - Forward or download voicemails

More cool things you can do with Google Voice

* Conference calling - Join people into a single call
* Call record - Record calls and store them online
* Call switch - Switch phones during a call
* Mobile site - View your inbox from your mobile
* GOOG-411 - Check directory assistance
* Manage groups - Set preferences by group

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Q9MJdT5Ds&feature=player_embedded

has anyone else used this yet? thoughts/complaints/praise?

Oh, neat. I signed up after you posted but didn't think it would happen for a while. :p

I thought they were sending them to original Gmail users or something.

[quote name='mr ryles']my ex roommate uses this, everytime I call his cell phone now it rings as does his house phone and vice versa.[/QUOTE]
When you call his actual cell number? Not the Google number?

yes as of now you need a phone...

I love the idea, but imo it needs work. I shouldn't need to use another phone. It should have a skype like option, with the ability to forward calls to any of my other phones.

Does this cost money in anyway, because I got an invite and then started to sign up but stopped for fear that it would add extra money to my Verizon bill.

Set up a new account thanks to bluedotlounge. The features are pretty impressive. Had my brother call from his cellphone my new number which rang both my home and cell phone. I picked up with my cell phone and while the technology is neat the call quality seemed just a little subpar.

Still, this is already going to come in handy this weekend. My wife and I are going to visit my parents and now my wife's mom (in france) can just call our new voice # and reach my wife on her cell phone.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Does this cost money in anyway, because I got an invite and then started to sign up but stopped for fear that it would add extra money to my Verizon bill.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that seems to cost money is making calls from the google voice itself.

Scored an invite thanks to bluedotlounge, and I gotta say, I'm digging it so far.

Only thing missing is an email alert when you receive a SMS message to your GV number.

Check your account, you may have this free offer:

Hand out your Google number
In celebration of the relaunch of GrandCentral as Google Voice we are giving away 50,000 sets of 25 Google number cards totally free. Yep, shipping, printing and everything is included. Have a little fun and show off your Google number.

I got it, but my buddy didn't so YMMV.

There weren't any numbers local to my area. So I started looking up cool words to make my number. Having a hard time deciding. I'll probably have to make another acct when they get numbers in my area.

I have had google voice for about 4 months, it is great. It helps when selling stuff on Craigslist, just posting your GV number, and you can turn calls off from your GV number also

This is probably a stretch but has anyone replaced their home phone landline with google voice using an ATA? From what I've read it seems like a damn good option and a way to save some money with canceling the home phone service.

I got one a couple weeks ago, I haven't used it much though other than doing some online SMS rather than wasting my text quota.

It has some potential though, I just moved and I don't have a landline (nor plan to) so my cell number isn't local, but I have a local google voice number that I can give people, and I'm planning on using it some more on things that require a phone number so I know I can block anything I don't want.

i use only for text so far, never gave out my number(besides to friends i texted).

Some dude prob got some flak the other night when his boss asked him why he didn't check a problem on the production server. I got the message instead, whoops.
He called again the other day. I sent to voicemail, listened in, then joined in scaring the guy, and told him to stop calling me. I like that feature, for sure.

sorry to bring back a thread from a month ago, but does anyone have a google voice invite they could pm me? if there's another google voice thread that i missed. please feel free to direct me there too.

I'm looking for an invite as well, if anyone has one they can send my way.

**edit** Got one. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it. Been using it since private beta and on my G1 it works good. Just received updated Nexus One beta with Android 2.1 and much improved thanks to snap dragon 1ghz.

Tech News all wrong - No iTablet / iSlate / iPad coming from Apple this year. Let's just say think Shuffle + iphone + EVDO - AT&T

Resurrecting a thread for a GOOGLE VOICE Invite. PM me if you got one I could have and I'd be much obliged. :bouncy:

Got a Fandango B1G1 Free coupon code I'd trade for one.

bread's done
Back