Amazon & Gamestop - Retro Game Challenge DS - $19.99

[quote name='chuckywang']Isn't this $19.99 at any Best Buy?[/QUOTE]

I got it at Best Buy during the buy-2-get-1-free sale several weeks ago, and while the shelf tag said $19.99, it rang up in the system at $29.99. They gave it to me for the $19.99 price, but immediately took the shelf tag down.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I would buy this, but I have the DS fat and it's depressing to play.[/QUOTE]

how is it depressing? It's all about the games!!! :)

I think this is a universal price drop. Gamestop now has it for the same price, and $17.99 used. Of course with tax, but if you can find a used copy and another game you want, the current coupon would be the bomb (25% off 2 to 4 used games + 10% Edge)

[quote name='botticus']Buy it even if you don't want to play it so I can play the sequel one day.[/QUOTE]

And, from that standpoint, buy it new. The publisher doesn't see used sales, and therefore doesn't count them in their numbers. That $2 extra spent now could have a very real impact on whether we see the sequel.

[quote name='hordak']how is it depressing? It's all about the games!!! :)[/QUOTE]

It just is. It's all scratched up (not the screen), it's not very bright, and it's huge.

For anybody on the fence about this, it's a great game. Especially if you grew up playing NES; the geek jokes are hilarious.

[quote name='crunchewy']I think this is a universal price drop. Gamestop now has it for the same price, and $17.99 used. Of course with tax, but if you can find a used copy and another game you want, the current coupon would be the bomb (25% off 2 to 4 used games + 10% Edge)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was a fantastic price with the 25%+EDGE. Found a couple used ones around me. One for me, and one for a friends upcoming bday. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

[quote name='Squarehard']Yeah, it was a fantastic price with the 25%+EDGE. Found a couple used ones around me. One for me, and one for a friends upcoming bday. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Lucky! There is one place semi-near me that is listing it, but otherwise nothing close. Depending on our plans tonight I might have to go give it a shot, but if so I'm going to call and ask if they have it with case and manual before I bother.

Was waiting for this drop, hoping to maybe get it in my Gold Box although my luck is pretty bad. I do like the idea of not giving Gamestop money on this one.

[quote name='crunchewy']Lucky! There is one place semi-near me that is listing it, but otherwise nothing close. Depending on our plans tonight I might have to go give it a shot, but if so I'm going to call and ask if they have it with case and manual before I bother.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was surprised I could even find one used, but two? I normally have no luck at all at finding rare used games at GS. Must be my lucky day. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

love to get this in my gold box... 18 after eca is still too much for this game with the backlog i got.. now 9.99 would of been a major steal

This is an awesome game. It made me feel like a kid again. While playing it, I was even looking forward to the "new issues" of the fictional in-game magazine.

I never heard of this game before this thread, but will have to check it out. Seems like something I would like. And I never buy used. :)

[quote name='dallow']Buy it new please.

I want the sequel.[/QUOTE]

Been playing it all day, and I gotta say, me wanty sequel too :*(

If you don't buy this, I'll never forgive you. I spent $30 on it new, and feel like I paid too little for this fantastic experience.

I bought it new and it was so worth it. It's so cool playing "old" games designed with modern improvements in gameplay.

ahh man, another reason for me to get a dsi or a ds lite
Now I just need some more money or a really good deal on a handheld that I can afford.
sucks getting hours cut at work which means I can't buy stuff like I used to.

Bought it at that Best Buy deal a couple weeks ago. I've only played through the shooter 'levels' so far, and that was fairly fun. Concept's great. "Real world" graphics are terrible, but then it's just a single room.

[quote name='dallow']Buy it new please.

I want the sequel.[/QUOTE]

The sequel has been pretty much confirmed by XSeed as never being localized to the West, sadly. The entire company has been barely treading water, and RGC just didn't make enough of a splash to justify bringing the sequel over. Sucks, as RGC was one of my favorite DS games this year. :(

[quote name='lunker']The sequel has been pretty much confirmed by XSeed as never being localized to the West, sadly. The entire company has been barely treading water, and RGC just didn't make enough of a splash to justify bringing the sequel over. Sucks, as RGC was one of my favorite DS games this year. :([/QUOTE]

From what I understand, XSeed hasn't licensed it. Which means, I would think, that even if XSeed can't/won't do it, another company (maybe one that would do a better job of marketing it) could still potentially license it, if there is enough interest shown to justify it. So I would still think that sales numbers on the first one could be important.

Bought this game earlier in the year. Easily one of the best games I've bought on DS in a long time. Game is a steal @ $20 new.

[quote name='lunker']The sequel has been pretty much confirmed by XSeed as never being localized to the West, sadly. The entire company has been barely treading water, and RGC just didn't make enough of a splash to justify bringing the sequel over. Sucks, as RGC was one of my favorite DS games this year. :([/QUOTE]

They said they wouldn't bring it over unless RGC saw a serious sales increase. This price drop might do that. Low chances, but possible.

RGC was one of those games I just plowed through in a week, devouring every minute. It even rekindled my love of JRPGs. I recommend it to any real gamers out there.

From what it sounds like on this thread, that chance that the sequel would be coming out here seems pretty high, with every thread being either "I went out and bought it." or "I heartily recommend this game."

By the way, I'm in the former category. I ordered it from Amazon 2 days ago. Should be coming in by Thursday. (Along with Cross Edge at $40 for the free shipping and on the basis that Cross Edge probably won't drop, much like Chaos Wars.)

[quote name='Omnislash124']From what it sounds like on this thread, that chance that the sequel would be coming out here seems pretty high, with every thread being either "I went out and bought it." or "I heartily recommend this game."[/QUOTE]

I don't think CAG gets to be the deciding factor as to whether or not it gets released. XSEED has said that they're not doing it, because it didn't sell; why wouldn't you believe them?

[quote name='Vegan']I don't think CAG gets to be the deciding factor as to whether or not it gets released. XSEED has said that they're not doing it, because it didn't sell; why wouldn't you believe them?[/QUOTE]

I know. That's why I said from what it sounds like on this thread. Whether or not this thread actually matters in the grand scheme of things at XSeed is an entirely different matter. ;)

[quote name='Omnislash124']From what it sounds like on this thread, that chance that the sequel would be coming out here seems pretty high, with every thread being either "I went out and bought it." or "I heartily recommend this game."[/QUOTE]
I would certainly hope we see the sequel, but so far our chances look slim.

Retro Game Challenge started off well but still hasn't gotten to the point where we can justify bringing over the sequel. It's amazing how many people write to thank us for publishing that game, so perhaps as those enthusiast fans continue to spread the word we will get to where we need to be eventually.
http://www.rpgamer.com/features/2009/road2e3/kingstoryinterview.html

I wish that they would tell us what the threshold is for RGC1 in order to bring over RGC2. Also, did the Japanese version of RGC1 have an English option? I might actually import the 2nd one.

I'm just going to chime in that if you grew up in the 8 bit era and hold fond memories from years ago then this game is more than likely for you. And, for $20, it really is a steal.

bread's done
Back