[Canada] EB Games: Trade-in for used consoles (1 for XB/GC, 4 for 360)

say what? Im totally getting an xbox original, and for those who cant figure it out themselves by 1,2,4,6 he means 8 dollar and up games.
EDIT: I mean eight dollar and up tiv games.

[quote name='DoubleStop']are you sure about the wii? On their website it says 6 games + $139.99[/QUOTE]

That promo is/was for new consoles. This promo is for used consoles.

I might do this to get my little cousin a PS2. Every time he comes over to my house he's like "I AM KRATOS FEAR ME MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA" and runs around like a nutcase xD

Looks like I'll have to look for something to trade, though!

[quote name='djsaiyan']

Says here trade 6, get it for $139.99[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats for a new one this thread talking about used consoles is all

Er, what comes with the Xbox? A controller?

I really, really don't need one, but I'm kind of considering this.

Do you get controllers with the 'cubes? My folks need a cube controller for their Wii and this is prolly cheaper than buying one. hehe

[quote name='sposhead']Do you get controllers with the 'cubes? My folks need a cube controller for their Wii and this is prolly cheaper than buying one. hehe[/QUOTE]
Depends if you already have the game (and no T3 possibility/plan) or if you want to buy a $8+ TIV game to do the trade.

Used consoles come with a controller typically.

If you score a Gamecube with component, you could resell it on Ebay or even here...

A friend and I both traded in games to get 360's today. They both came with all the cables and one controller each (he got a wireless, I got a wired).
Took them back to my place to test them, his works fine, and mine does not read discs.

Called around and I'm having trouble finding another place in the city that has any left in stock, but the guy at the store I purchased at assured me that we would "work something out". Not sure what he means, but if they'd want to give me the $130 credit, I'd gladly take it.

This offer is so tempting for no apparent reason. I already have a Gamecube and Wii, I had a PS2 and don't need another (no RPG fan, so PS2 is over), do not want to enter Xbox world (too much expenses already), do not need a PSP (do not use much the DS and I carry enough electronics already)... i shall stop looking at this thread.

lol I'm with cashinstinct on this one. I would love to get a Wii but house shopping has burnt me out and I couldn't be bothered to go find trade fodder

I'm tempted to grab a PS2 - would really like access to that library of cheap (but awesome) games - but don't have enough cash to keep up with my current buying habits, let alone add a PS2 to the equation...

Might grab a GameCube though. Since I've already got a backlog of GC titles being played on my Wii, having a second system available might not hurt for when my wife wants the main TV to herself.

Thanks for the heads-up.

[quote name='cashinstinct']This offer is so tempting for no apparent reason. I already have a Gamecube and Wii, I had a PS2 and don't need another (no RPG fan, so PS2 is over), do not want to enter Xbox world (too much expenses already), do not need a PSP (do not use much the DS and I carry enough electronics already)... i shall stop looking at this thread.[/QUOTE]

wiser words were never said

Hmm, tempted at getting maybe an Xbox or a GC. Might have to check out BBV for some trade fodder. Anyone know how long this deal is on for?

[quote name='cashinstinct']This offer is so tempting for no apparent reason. I already have a Gamecube and Wii, I had a PS2 and don't need another (no RPG fan, so PS2 is over), do not want to enter Xbox world (too much expenses already), do not need a PSP (do not use much the DS and I carry enough electronics already)... i shall stop looking at this thread.[/QUOTE]

Haha same. I'm thinking about getting another DSL, or even a PSP or 360. Yet, I only have a Wii and its backlog is considerable, plus there are a lot of games out this fall that I want (Scribblenauts, Dragon Age, etc.)

Has anybody been able to snag a Jasper 360 through this? I wonder if they'll let me choose which 360 I can buy from their used stock, or if they'll just hand me one and say "take it"...

[quote name='TheBigBoi']Has anybody been able to snag a Jasper 360 through this? I wonder if they'll let me choose which 360 I can buy from their used stock, or if they'll just hand me one and say "take it"...[/QUOTE]
Personally, I think you should just aim for a Falcon as I would hope no one would be dumb enough to trade in their Jasper 360 to EB for pennies. It seems as though EB mainly has pre-HDMI RROD-prone systems only to sell used.

[quote name='cashinstinct']...

If you score a Gamecube with component, you could resell it on Ebay or even here...[/QUOTE]

So I traded my $11 copy of Endless Ocean for a GameCube to help play through backlog games when my wife is watching the main TV... and it's got a Digital AV Out on the back. Does that mean it's a good score?

(Frankly, Digital vs Analog A/V doesn't matter to me, given the setup I'll be playing on...)

I could not tell the value of a Gamecube with digital AV out, but having the choice to get either with component or not for the same price of 1 used game, I think you are better with component.

Endless Ocean Wii sells for +- $25 on EBay, and you would probably pay about the same price for Gamecube, so it's okay deal I suppose.

From what I'm seeing, it's the actual component cables that are valuable - the GameCube console doesn't seem to be a big deal, with or without digital AV input... Since this one only came with an RCA cable it's not a big deal.

I'm still happy though. Trading a cheap game that wasn't getting played anymore for something that I've been eyeing for a while works well enough.
:)

Thanks to the OP for sharing the news!

[quote name='cashinstinct']Endless Ocean Wii sells for +- $25 on EBay, and you would probably pay about the same price for Gamecube, so it's okay deal I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I don't sell on eBay anymore unless the profit is huge - between fees for eBay and PayPal, dealing with questions from demanding customers, and the hassle for listing and shipping, it's just not worth the effort.

Understand you, I don't sell on Ebay either...but it's a good source t oeasily know about the market value you could get by selling it.

[quote name='Jbently']Personally, I think you should just aim for a Falcon as I would hope no one would be dumb enough to trade in their Jasper 360 to EB for pennies. It seems as though EB mainly has pre-HDMI RROD-prone systems only to sell used.[/QUOTE]

This is the only thing that makes me hesitant about this deal. Do they have some sort of in-house warranty that I could buy so that if it gets the RROD, I can just bring it in to EB and they'll deal with it? Or will I have to go through Microsoft regardless of what happens? Appreciate the help.

[quote name='TheBigBoi']This is the only thing that makes me hesitant about this deal. Do they have some sort of in-house warranty that I could buy so that if it gets the RROD, I can just bring it in to EB and they'll deal with it? Or will I have to go through Microsoft regardless of what happens? Appreciate the help.[/QUOTE]

When I grabbed a GameCube, it came with a 30-day guarantee and they also offered a 1-year replacement warranty for... I think it was $4? Not sure if that will be the same for other consoles though, especially consoles that are known to have reliability issues.

Well, I guess even $70 ($50 for buying 3 games from BBV...yes, I'm admitting that I'm trading over to EBG, but I figure it's not bad since it's only 3 games, plus the $20 for the 1-year warranty) for a 360 for one year is worth it...it's the price of one game so I figure I'll go for this one. Now let's just hope I can find 3 games at my local BBV to trade in.

I've been wanting to get a Game Cube controller for my Wii... so trading one game for the system might be the way to go. Or I guess I could just use the game cube...

[quote name='janlazer']EB still accepting PS2 games towards such deals? Or is just current gen games?[/QUOTE]

The sign I read at my EB yesterday said PS2 games were valid for the deal, but I think some stores aren't accepting them for whatever reason. So it might be YMMV.

[quote name='cswloo']The sign I read at my EB yesterday said PS2 games were valid for the deal, but I think some stores aren't accepting them for whatever reason. So it might be YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, cswloo. I'll start calling around. Too bad the EB near my house closes at 5pm and I work until 5:30...*mutters*

Called every location in Edmonton (save the West-End) and 360's are OOS. A few places claimed to have them but when I asked them to verify HDMI they all came up empty--as in "oops, I guess we don't have any consoles after all."

One location told me a guy came in last night and bought 3. :roll:

I believe Southgate still had 1 original Xbox if that interests anyone.

Same for Calgary. Every EB location I could find was OOS on 360's. Which is lame after having gotten a defective one that I needed to bring back.

You know the 360's are a product I can easily see people buying multiple units and actually having a use for them. They could want a cheap gaming system/DVD player for bedrooms/bathrooms/den's/offices, or could run LAN parties and such. I remember a couple years ago I would have 8-player Halo in my basement...good times!

edit: on a side note, how are so many people getting busted systems? I mean it's not like we're buying from FactoryDirect here; my GC came with a decent scuff mark on the top, and the controller wasn't a 1st-party controller, either. Of course, for one game trade-in, I guess all I should expect is the unit to turn on and show me a good time with Viewtiful Joe 2!

The 360 they gave me was covered in huge scratches, mostly on the top of the console.
The disc tray had a white plastic cover, instead of the silver one I normally see. When I tried to load a disc, it didn't even attempt to read it. I'm guessing someone just flat out removed the laser. The wired controller they gave me (and I was excited about getting a WIRED one, for PC gaming) had chunks missing from the rubber on the analog sticks.

All of this came in a box that promised that EB had personally tested the console to ensure quality. The local EB is supposed to give me a call if they get another in stock, I'd gladly try my luck again for 4 games I'm not ever going to play again.

[quote name='Teddite']The 360 they gave me was covered in huge scratches, mostly on the top of the console.
The disc tray had a white plastic cover, instead of the silver one I normally see. When I tried to load a disc, it didn't even attempt to read it. I'm guessing someone just flat out removed the laser. The wired controller they gave me (and I was excited about getting a WIRED one, for PC gaming) had chunks missing from the rubber on the analog sticks.

All of this came in a box that promised that EB had personally tested the console to ensure quality. The local EB is supposed to give me a call if they get another in stock, I'd gladly try my luck again for 4 games I'm not ever going to play again.[/QUOTE]

FYI the original no hdd drive console(befor it was called the arcade) had a white dvd drive

Second working at EB i can personnaly tell you that the consoles always come to us looking like theyve been through hell and back.

Third, id say 1 out of 5 used machines that we sell in 360's is actually good, the rest are defective

Are most of the 360's still under the Microsoft warranty?
If they are, couldn't you have it fixed if it has 3 red lights or E74?

I got a DS Lite through the tradein, and it looks like its in pretty decent condition. No major scratches or anything, just was a little dirty when I received it. Used a Lysol wipe to clean the surface of it and a screen cleaner to clean the screen and it looks as good as new.

bread's done
Back