- - - - -

[Canada] EB Games: Trade-in for used consoles (1 for XB/GC, 4 for 360)

#31 TheBigBoi   That's what she said CAGiversary!   381 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheBigBoi

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:32 PM

Personally, I think you should just aim for a Falcon as I would hope no one would be dumb enough to trade in their Jasper 360 to EB for pennies. It seems as though EB mainly has pre-HDMI RROD-prone systems only to sell used.

This is the only thing that makes me hesitant about this deal. Do they have some sort of in-house warranty that I could buy so that if it gets the RROD, I can just bring it in to EB and they'll deal with it? Or will I have to go through Microsoft regardless of what happens? Appreciate the help.

#32 TheBigBoi   That's what she said CAGiversary!   381 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheBigBoi

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

Well, I guess even $70 ($50 for buying 3 games from BBV...yes, I'm admitting that I'm trading over to EBG, but I figure it's not bad since it's only 3 games, plus the $20 for the 1-year warranty) for a 360 for one year is worth it...it's the price of one game so I figure I'll go for this one. Now let's just hope I can find 3 games at my local BBV to trade in.

#33 game_fanatic   I Heart Ribs CAGiversary!   2556 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

game_fanatic

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

Sweeet, I got myself a GC today! Now I just need to dig up a Wavebird controller!

#34 craig64   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   817 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:50 PM

I've been wanting to get a Game Cube controller for my Wii... so trading one game for the system might be the way to go. Or I guess I could just use the game cube...

#35 janlazer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   327 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

EB still accepting PS2 games towards such deals? Or is just current gen games?

#36 cswloo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

EB still accepting PS2 games towards such deals? Or is just current gen games?

The sign I read at my EB yesterday said PS2 games were valid for the deal, but I think some stores aren't accepting them for whatever reason. So it might be YMMV.

#37 janlazer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   327 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

The sign I read at my EB yesterday said PS2 games were valid for the deal, but I think some stores aren't accepting them for whatever reason. So it might be YMMV.

Thanks, cswloo. I'll start calling around. Too bad the EB near my house closes at 5pm and I work until 5:30...*mutters*

#38 Bencherstyle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   789 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Bencherstyle

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

got the red/black DS with

Metriod was 13
Madworld was 20
prince of persia was 22
and haze was 13 :)

paid 50 bucks for those games ;)

#39 collector42   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   250 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

collector42

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

Called every location in Edmonton (save the West-End) and 360's are OOS. A few places claimed to have them but when I asked them to verify HDMI they all came up empty--as in "oops, I guess we don't have any consoles after all."

One location told me a guy came in last night and bought 3. :roll:

I believe Southgate still had 1 original Xbox if that interests anyone.

#40 Teddite   Name's Ash. Housewares. CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:25 AM

Same for Calgary. Every EB location I could find was OOS on 360's. Which is lame after having gotten a defective one that I needed to bring back.

#41 game_fanatic   I Heart Ribs CAGiversary!   2556 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

game_fanatic

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:31 AM

You know the 360's are a product I can easily see people buying multiple units and actually having a use for them. They could want a cheap gaming system/DVD player for bedrooms/bathrooms/den's/offices, or could run LAN parties and such. I remember a couple years ago I would have 8-player Halo in my basement...good times!

edit: on a side note, how are so many people getting busted systems? I mean it's not like we're buying from FactoryDirect here; my GC came with a decent scuff mark on the top, and the controller wasn't a 1st-party controller, either. Of course, for one game trade-in, I guess all I should expect is the unit to turn on and show me a good time with Viewtiful Joe 2!

#42 Teddite   Name's Ash. Housewares. CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:42 AM

The 360 they gave me was covered in huge scratches, mostly on the top of the console.
The disc tray had a white plastic cover, instead of the silver one I normally see. When I tried to load a disc, it didn't even attempt to read it. I'm guessing someone just flat out removed the laser. The wired controller they gave me (and I was excited about getting a WIRED one, for PC gaming) had chunks missing from the rubber on the analog sticks.

All of this came in a box that promised that EB had personally tested the console to ensure quality. The local EB is supposed to give me a call if they get another in stock, I'd gladly try my luck again for 4 games I'm not ever going to play again.

#43 T.a.g   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   32 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

The 360 they gave me was covered in huge scratches, mostly on the top of the console.
The disc tray had a white plastic cover, instead of the silver one I normally see. When I tried to load a disc, it didn't even attempt to read it. I'm guessing someone just flat out removed the laser. The wired controller they gave me (and I was excited about getting a WIRED one, for PC gaming) had chunks missing from the rubber on the analog sticks.

All of this came in a box that promised that EB had personally tested the console to ensure quality. The local EB is supposed to give me a call if they get another in stock, I'd gladly try my luck again for 4 games I'm not ever going to play again.

FYI the original no hdd drive console(befor it was called the arcade) had a white dvd drive

Second working at EB i can personnaly tell you that the consoles always come to us looking like theyve been through hell and back.

Third, id say 1 out of 5 used machines that we sell in 360's is actually good, the rest are defective

#44 shimbibby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   16 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

shimbibby

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:03 PM

Are most of the 360's still under the Microsoft warranty?
If they are, couldn't you have it fixed if it has 3 red lights or E74?

#45 Jbently   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   266 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

I got a DS Lite through the tradein, and it looks like its in pretty decent condition. No major scratches or anything, just was a little dirty when I received it. Used a Lysol wipe to clean the surface of it and a screen cleaner to clean the screen and it looks as good as new.

#46 TripleQ   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1109 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

Are most of the 360's still under the Microsoft warranty?
If they are, couldn't you have it fixed if it has 3 red lights or E74?

Depends if the original owner registered it or not? I'm not sure what would happen if it was already registered online.

#47 DeViLzzz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

DeViLzzz

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

well at EB Games Canada online I see no mention of a deal to get a Gamecube or Xbox with a trade in ... also it would be nice if EB fixed the way they have their flyer up online ... almost like they don't want us to read it ??!?!?!?!

#48 Skardee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   490 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:07 PM

My store had a little cardboard stand stating these deals.
Anyways, I got a used GameCube. Seems to be in pretty good condition, but they gave me a shiesty third party controller. Oh well, I already have 2 controllers from my last Cube so it's all good!

#49 strobeshow   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   6 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

strobeshow

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:33 AM

i got a 360 on tuesday i believe it was... already have one.. but uhm.. nevermind ;)

was already registered online, but oh well. the one i got is an older one, no hdmi.

my cousin called the eb i went to and they said they were sold out then. i guess they said they had 6.

fyi, i traded in starfox command, nfs:u2, splinter cell: chaos theory and pgr4 (first 3 for ds). i actually got nfs and splinter cell for $4 each around 2-3 years ago from zellers!

traded in some other games.. few ps2 games and i didnt really notice but he gave me money for the one 360 game the fifth game that qualified (damn i wanted to use it for a different deal!)

was thinking about putting it towards a preorder since it bumps up its tiv, but since games are $70, its not worth it imo.

i might go up again on friday or saturday, maybe try to go to the other eb, or go to the one i went to and get a psp (ive had the original one since 2007 i think..), or a ds lite.

oh, and for the sake of ebgames... i havent had a bad experience with the employees. the other guy working with the guy who rang me up seemed like he didnt want to be there, but i didnt have him lol

#50 game_fanatic   I Heart Ribs CAGiversary!   2556 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

game_fanatic

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:21 AM

My store had a little cardboard stand stating these deals.
Anyways, I got a used GameCube. Seems to be in pretty good condition, but they gave me a shiesty third party controller. Oh well, I already have 2 controllers from my last Cube so it's all good!

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who got a 3rd-party controller heh...now I have ANOTHER system to collect games for! I just got matched up with Metroid Prime today, so I'm pretty pumped! :D

#51 Icetron   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   570 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

Just heard about this deal from a friend. I'm guessing all the 360's are gone in the GVR for now?

Is it worth getting the old Xbox? (If it's even available) I heard the XBMC would be a good reason, does anyone mind giving some info about that as well? :D

#52 JuGgAlObOyZ69   rainmaker CAGiversary!   299 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

JuGgAlObOyZ69

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:46 AM

Just heard about this deal from a friend. I'm guessing all the 360's are gone in the GVR for now?

Is it worth getting the old Xbox? (If it's even available) I heard the XBMC would be a good reason, does anyone mind giving some info about that as well? :D

Depends on if it has games you'd like! http://en.wikipedia....t_of_Xbox_games

XBMC is pretty nice, but keep in mind the original Xbox does not output high definition. I haven't used it in a long while, but as far as I remember it'll run most video formats that you can throw at it. Just, nothing high def.

#53 Icetron   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   570 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get ahold of one since I don't think I really want a 360 right now anyways. :)

#54 cswloo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

Traded in Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow (PSP) for an original Xbox. I used the last few dollars off a Metrotown giftcard to pick up the game, so the system cost me a grand total of $3.20 :D (total was $11.20 - $8 GC). Added the 1yr warranty for $4. The one I got is in really decent shape. Had to get the xbox from Lougheed though, Metrotown didn't have any.

Might try for a GC today, Metrotown said they had tons of them.

Thanks OP!

#55 cashinstinct   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   673 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

cashinstinct

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

At Zellers Place Versailles, the deal is Trade 6 + $199 for Used PS3 (signs are up showing that)... makes me feel good about having used +- $300 credit for a New PS3 early in the summer.... I would not have found easily 6 different games!

#56 TideTime   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   28 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

Got two Xboxes for XBMC. At a single game, this is a steal. I was more than happy with the $50 I paid for one at christmas last year.

Picked the last one up at Sherway EB, and then another one at the outside EB near Sherway. Both seemed surprised I wanted an old Xbox :)

#57 halcyon1234   I AM the orange button! CAGiversary!   485 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

halcyon1234

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:33 AM

Does anyone know when this deal goes until? (And if the answer is posted on page 2, feel free to mock my heritage, body odor and reading comprehension skills)

#58 Teddite   Name's Ash. Housewares. CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

I heard the same. Was told that it was on for the entire month. The only real question is how often stores get restocked.

#59 thegamecubist   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   505 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

thegamecubist

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:34 AM

My friend got a 360 today because I recommened this to him, so this deal is still going!

#60 LittleWolf   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

LittleWolf

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:21 PM

The deal EBgames console trade deal lasts until; august 29th I believe. the most interesting thing is that Blockbusters has a buy 2 get one free on used games right now. so if you combine that with this offer . . .

i managed to get a ds lite and PSP by spending about 76 dollars on each.
the games i bought were :

wanted (ps3)
MGS4 (ps3)
Prince of persia (ps3)
too human (360)
Need for speed undercover (ps3)

in various combinations to get 4 for each deal.

NFS undercover is being sold for 24.50 right now at blockbuster, which is the same as it's trade in value, so if you bought 3 you could actually make money by trading in for store credit

good luck