Next time you get towed..pay with PENNIES!! They have to take it!

This is hilarious. The tow companies in Tallahassee (where this one is located) are ruthless. In my time spent during college, I have been tow three times from legal spots; once at my apartment complex (no assigned spots).

They also towed lots of families cars during Graduation. I saw the families one morning when I picked up my car.

I too thought it was funny...until the end, when the black dude said that Obama will have to get involved and then played the race card. Yes it is a legal technicality that those kids are trying to get away with..but think about how much time and money was wasted sending out several cops. Not to mention tax payer money to do all that stuff. The cops should have said, why don't you go to the bank and have it converted to dollars? They should have stopped right there instead of just wasting time.

But yea, no fun getting towed... I got towed from my girlfriend's apartment last month...no fun :(

I got towed once, one street away from where my car was...

I go to pick it up, and they tell me it's 300 bucks?

I'm like, "How do you justify that? my car was towed from my campus once and it was 10 miles away and they charged me $140"

and the guy says "They don't use the precautions to not harm your car that we do"

fucking bullshit... basically, these crooks can just slap whatever price they want on you getting your car back. I told them I was going to call the Attorney General, of course I'm too lazy for that but it seriously is robbery.

Also, a story along the same lines once, this girl my friend had as a roommate off-campus moved out without cleaning the place, yet still called him demanding her deposit money... when he said he wasn't giving it to her, she threatened a lawsuit and all this. So the kid decided to just send her her $500... all in 500 $1 checks she would have to sign and cash... he had my other friends sit there writing them all up one day.... haha jokes.

Funny shyt, but damn my car got burglarized and windows smashed, and called police and they insisted only taking a report over the phone....wtf lol

Woo Tallahassee in the news, woo. Professional Parking Services are scum bastards from hell.

I'll remember this trick if I ever need it.

fuck Tallahassee tow companies. Also, yeah a couple of those cops may have seemed like cool dudes, but fuck the Tallahassee police. Hard. They fucking suck, they're bastards.

Towing companies are crooks period. I lost a 150 bucks on my first tow. Now I am mega paranoid where I park when I go to my gf's apartment.

Seriously where do they come up with these crazy ass fines?!?!

Read this on snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp

The kids were wrong about most of the stuff they were saying. The only thing i'm not sure about is it says they should specify their payment policies before entering into transactions with the customer. Now in the case of a towed car, i would argue that the transaction has started the second the car is towed away. Since it's expected for you to come get your car back.

Towing companies are terrible. I remember a couple years back my ex's car broke down on the highway. She even had a officer stop to help and they told her she could leave it there for up to 24 hours before it would be towed. Instead, some random towing company took it themselves (we thought it was stolen since I think it was just a blown tire and we had to buy a new one to put on the next day). They tried to charge her $500 to get it back until we threatened them with theft since they were not even affiliated with police towing and had no legal right to do it.

man...it must be great to work for a towing company....just pull a number out of your ass and people will pay. :(

I think it's pretty widely known that in many places organized crime runs the towing racket. That's certainly true here in north VA, they have some big dudes working for them and they wouldn't think twice about convincing you to pay in whatever denomination they prefer.

The police were hella chill about it. Haha. If it were the cops in my area.. I would have probably been patted down for use of illegal drugs or something.

How did the cops NOT notice the camera?!??!!?

It's too high quality to be a cell phone and an Iphone would have been noticed as well.

[quote name='ITDEFX']How did the cops NOT notice the camera?!??!!?[/QUOTE]

What makes you think they didn't? What, do you think that it's illegal to film cops or something?

[quote name='JolietJake']Read this on snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp

The kids were wrong about most of the stuff they were saying. The only thing i'm not sure about is it says they should specify their payment policies before entering into transactions with the customer. Now in the case of a towed car, i would argue that the transaction has started the second the car is towed away. Since it's expected for you to come get your car back.[/QUOTE]

They were close, but stretching the law slightly. In their case, they were 100% right. For debts you are required to take legal tender, no matter what. It's different when you're a merchant because you're exchanging goods, so you can specify whatever you want. In this instance the towing company could not say, "You must pay in 1,000 bananas" because no goods or services were performed or exchanged, and this is clearly a debt owed.

Never got towed before, don't plan to. Any other place? like stupid traffic tickets...? I have a better chance of getting one of these...

If I ever get another speeding ticket that's how I'm going to pay for it. The money those cost is insane, and only ever gets raised time and time again. Would rather spend a night in jail crying in the corner while people yell "fresh meat" at me than be robbed blind.

bread's done
Back