Thinking About Making a Purchase...

theOtherGuy

CAG Veteran
Without a job right now, been at an all time low. Nothing to look forward to when I wake up in the morning. Even in 2009, I can say that I've never owned a PS2. As an RPG guy, I know there are a bunch of games that I've always wanted to play on the PS2. So, I come to you fellow CAG members for some much needed suggestions.

Without a car, I've been only looking at stores with an online branch. They only seem to have a $99.99 Slimline. So..

(1) Is there anything different between the regular model and the slimline (mainly along the lines of what games can be played)?

(2) If I go for a used regular PS2 on say...Craigslist or whatnot, what's a good starting price for just the console + parts?

(3) For the most part, I can't read or understand Japanese, but I'm a big fan of the Super Robot Taisen and SD Gundam games. From what I understand, PS2s are region locked (unlike the DSLite, which I wished the DSi was, but that's another thing). So for example... If there were US games, and then you have the European FFX-International, and then Japanese titles. Is there a one PS2 that can handle all regions?

1. The slimline model has some trouble playing certain PSX games. There's also minor hardware revisions but they shouldn't affect gameplay.

2. I would say $20-$40 for just the console and a controller, depending on model and condition.

3. I don't think there's a region free PS2 unless it's been modded, which we can't discuss on the forums.

Damn. It's like if I wanted to get English and Japanese games...I'd have to buy two consoles. Anybody know of any websites/stores that sell either regular PS2s or the Slimlines for less than their market prices?

[quote name='theOtherGuy']Damn. It's like if I wanted to get English and Japanese games...I'd have to buy two consoles. Anybody know of any websites/stores that sell either regular PS2s or the Slimlines for less than their market prices?[/QUOTE]

If only there was something you could buy that would let you swap games from different regions, yet they would all work on your US PS2 like magic.

bread's done
Back