New SMB Wii free collector's upgrade at GS

Cindaddy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Did a search and couldn't find anything. Stopped by GS this morning and was told that they are offering a free upgrade to the collector's edition of New Super Mario Bros Wii when you pre-order the game. I asked what was in the collector's edition and all they knew was that there was supposed to be some additional characters. Hope someone finds this useful.

Update: After further conversations with other, different employees, it's claimed to be a Gamestop exclusive version of the game rather than a collector's edition. Looking for confirmation from someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
not every big game has a collector's edition. I personally think CE's are the biggest moneymaking scam ever. They (almost) never include anything special for within the game.

[quote name='SilentStryk09']not every big game has a collector's edition. I personally think CE's are the biggest moneymaking scam ever.[/QUOTE]

If it's a free upgrade, where's the scam?

Hmm....I love Galaxy, and love New Super Mario Bros. on the DS, but I'm iffy on whether I'll like this. Seems like it's basically multiplayer only? In which case no interest. Seems kind of Smash Bros. esque, wish spastic characters flying around.

BUT if I'm getting the wrong impression, and it'll be as good as New, I'd definitely go for it :whistle2:/

[quote name='SilentStryk09']not every big game has a collector's edition. I personally think CE's are the biggest moneymaking scam ever. They (almost) never include anything special for within the game.[/QUOTE]

that and downloadable content.

Its a Wii game, I will wait for it to be $19.99 bargain bin in a few weeks.

And Collectors Edition with DLC as the "value" collectible item means it has practically zero value.

Remember all the Victims who paid $80 for the Street Fighter 4 collectors Edition, and GS sold it new for $20 plus even the collectors edition had to pay extra for the Secondary costumes.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Its a Wii game, I will wait for it to be $19.99 bargain bin in a few weeks.
[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? 1st party Wii games take FOREVER to go down in price. Find me Twilight Princess for $19.99, and that's a launch title developed for last generation hardware.

[quote name='mikejenks']Are you serious? 1st party Wii games take FOREVER to go down in price. Find me Twilight Princess for $19.99, and that's a launch title developed for last generation hardware.[/QUOTE]

Well GS used deal of the week is Z:TP for $29.99 and with edge discount it comes to $25.50 (yes, they take the 10% off of the $45 price), so there you go. Then again, thats for a used copy and not quite $20 like you requested but still =P

[quote name='Cindaddy']Did a search and couldn't find anything. Stopped by GS this morning and was told that they are offering a free upgrade to the collector's edition of New Super Mario Bros Wii when you pre-order the game. I asked what was in the collector's edition and all they knew was that there was supposed to be some additional characters. Hope someone finds this useful.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I buy this until we get confirmation from an ad or an employee. Nintendo's done bonuses, but almost always in the form of swag or (in a few cases) a bonus disc. They'd be one of the last companies that I'd imagine giving in to GameStop's growing content monopoly. I could be wrong...but on the other hand, random GameStop employees aren't exactly the most reliable source.

I am hoping they're wrong; this kind of exclusive is fucking bullshit. Making content exclusive to one retailer for a very short period of time means that the vast majority of gamers will miss out on it. Of course, this is assuming your GameStop gets enough copies of the bonus for everyone who preorders, or that the employees won't take the codes themselves or hand them out to their friends.

But I digress.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Its a Wii game, I will wait for it to be $19.99 bargain bin in a few weeks.

And Collectors Edition with DLC as the "value" collectible item means it has practically zero value.

Remember all the Victims who paid $80 for the Street Fighter 4 collectors Edition, and GS sold it new for $20 plus even the collectors edition had to pay extra for the Secondary costumes.[/QUOTE]

When did GameStop sell the collector's edition of the game new for $20? I specifically remember that it wasn't included in the sale a few weeks ago.

That said, the first sentence of your post shows you're an idiot anyway. mikejenks speaks the truth.

[quote name='bb4lake']Well GS used deal of the week is Z:TP for $29.99 and with edge discount it comes to $25.50 (yes, they take the 10% off of the $45 price), so there you go. Then again, thats for a used copy and not quite $20 like you requested but still =P[/QUOTE]

That's for a used copy close to three years after release...as part of a one week sale, with the Edge card included. I think you just proved his point.

Eh... I could care less. This game seems completely useless without online play (last I heard, I didn't have it)...

[quote name='Vinny']Eh... I could care less. This game seems completely useless without online play...[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree, I can't believe its not going to include it. Although if the collector's edition has a sweet bonus disk with old games on it I might pick it up.

[quote name='Vinny']Eh... I could care less. This game seems completely useless without online play (last I heard, I didn't have it)...[/QUOTE]

The Wii or the game? :whistle2:# I kid I kid (I think)

I'm with an above poster in that it looks like it will be enough of a co-op focused game to enjoy as a single-player. Not sure why they needed to mess with the formula as NSMB proved there is still constant demand for more of the same.

Hate to inject logic, but collector's editions are made for making more money. If Nintendo made a collector's edition why have GS sell it free?

Personally, sounds to me like GS is trying to get people to preload by lying...

[quote name='AdultLink']Hate to inject logic, but collector's editions are made for making more money. If Nintendo made a collector's edition why have GS sell it free?

Personally, sounds to me like GS is trying to get people to preload by lying...[/QUOTE]

They did the same thing with Prince of Persia if I remember correctly. Free upgrade to collectors edition by preordering.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']They did the same thing with Prince of Persia if I remember correctly. Free upgrade to collectors edition by preordering.[/QUOTE]
Amazon had that deal also.

[quote name='mikejenks']Are you serious? 1st party Wii games take FOREVER to go down in price. Find me Twilight Princess for $19.99, and that's a launch title developed for last generation hardware.[/QUOTE]

Super Paper Mario is still $50 too, and much like TP it was also a Gamecube port that came out early in the Wii's life. Nintendo gets popular again and the first thing they do is ditch Players' Choice =/

If Nintendo starts doing CEs I can't wait to pick up my deluxe copy of Metroid Other M, complete with a phazon-detecting night-vision Samus helmet.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I'm not sure I buy this until we get confirmation from an ad or an employee. Nintendo's done bonuses, but almost always in the form of swag or (in a few cases) a bonus disc. They'd be one of the last companies that I'd imagine giving in to GameStop's growing content monopoly. I could be wrong...but on the other hand, random GameStop employees aren't exactly the most reliable source.
[/QUOTE]

Understood. That's why I posted it here. I was told this today by an employee who was the only one there, so I was hoping someone could confirm. I hadn't even heard of a collector's edition. Naturally, I'm skeptical as well, but that is what I was told. Just passing it on. I'll stop by tomorrow and talk to someone else and see what they say.

[quote name='fwbweux']Super Paper Mario is still $50 too, and much like TP it was also a Gamecube port that came out early in the Wii's life. Nintendo gets popular again and the first thing they do is ditch Players' Choice =/[/QUOTE]
Honestly, Player's Choice has always been a far off thought in Nintendo's mind. The Gamecube needed any footholds it could get, and the PC line came out years after release. And even then, it was basically only Nintendo and EA games that got PCed. On the GBA, there's like 7 Player's Choice titles, after they made a big loopla over starting it.

Remember all the Victims who paid $80 for the Street Fighter 4 collectors Edition, and GS sold it new for $20 plus even the collectors edition had to pay extra for the Secondary costumes.[/QUOTE]

and when did the ps3 ce sfiv ever go "on sale?"

[quote name='Chronis']Honestly, Player's Choice has always been a far off thought in Nintendo's mind. The Gamecube needed any footholds it could get, and the PC line came out years after release. And even then, it was basically only Nintendo and EA games that got PCed. On the GBA, there's like 7 Player's Choice titles, after they made a big loopla over starting it.[/QUOTE]

During the same time frame Sony had Greatest Hits even though they were number one two gens in a row, so I don't think that it can be characterized as a tactic that only comes about out of desperation. Whether or not Nintendo ever valued its PC line, I can't help but miss it. Back during the 64 and GC eras when I was a teenager and had a limited budget, PC (along with Sony's GH) gave me the chance to play a lot of stuff that I had to skip at release. At present I wouldn't need to use a PC program nearly as much as I once did, but I'd rather still have the option available than not, even if it was flawed/biased in favor of certain publishers.

I'd be much more interested if this game was going to include online multiplayer.

And if this is true, it's not really free, because it's almost certain that some store will have the game for less than $50 when it comes out, or have a B2G1 sale or something.

It depends on what the "collector's upgrade" is before I'd even consider buying it from GS. It hardly free--GameStop typically sells all new titles at full MSRP when they come out. Unlike Amazon, which frequently knocks off a few bucks on brand new releases (New Super Mario Bros. Wii is listed as $47 now at Amazon). Also, when you buy with GameStop, you also have to pay the $3 - $5 extra for sales tax.

I asked about this earlier today and they even showed me on the computer that there was only 1 version of smb coming out. I was going to preorder and asked what version were available. They said there is only one type or version of smb coming out.
So maybe either there is a miss communication involved or possibly a pre order bonus or something?
I did not see any info on the website or nintendo's site either?

This sounds like a case of miscommunication or misinformation. That being said, if it's true, I find it funny that pisses people off that it's GameStop. Some of you seriously make me laugh with your hatred for a store.

[quote name='bb4lake']Well GS used deal of the week is Z:TP for $29.99 and with edge discount it comes to $25.50 (yes, they take the 10% off of the $45 price), so there you go. Then again, thats for a used copy and not quite $20 like you requested but still =P[/QUOTE]

Complete fail!

Bullshit. Yeah, Gamestop lands exclusive in-game content all the time, but not for Nintendo games, especially not fuckin Super Mario. I'll believe it when I see a listing on Gamestop.com or a press release from Nintendo.

[quote name='RandyTsai']that and downloadable content.[/QUOTE]
Pfft. Would you say the same of any expansion pack? Nobody bitched about Brood War, man. But that is totally off-topic so fuck that line of discussion.

[quote name='AdultLink']Hate to inject logic, but collector's editions are made for making more money. If Nintendo made a collector's edition why have GS sell it free?[/QUOTE]
Hate to inject better research and logic than yours, but Far Cry 2 says "hi." Google it, if you don't know.

Yeah, they're to make money, no shit. But it's obviously worth it to Gamestop to have this exclusive content shit (in case you didn't read, this isn't "Collector's Edition" as in lots of feelie bonuses in a big fancy box, but instead is supposedly just extra exclusive in-game content on the disc), because even though the game is the same price as everywhere else, it gives people incentive to buy it from them, rather than Best Buy or Walmart.

I could be mistaken, but I think this is definately a possibility because Amazon lists a Collector Edition for Metroid Prime Trilogy at near MSRP ($46.99). Gamestop has it too, but also with a small art book at $49.99. One Nintendo game getting a CE is enough for me to consider another might be true.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Some of you seriously make me laugh with your hatred for a store.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't hate GS, but I can't blame people if they do. I've witnessed at least twice them trying to sell extra "insurance" for games to foreigners who don't understand what they're buying--you know, in case the game gets scratched or somethin'. If I got taken by that scam, I'd probably hate them too.

Anyway, all this exclusive stuff that GS gets is to convince people to pay full price for the game on day 1 (even though people can go to Amazon, or other place, and get it for cheaper w/o sales tax).

[quote name='kodave']I didn't realize Nintendo was in the "collector's / limited edition" game now[/QUOTE]
This certainly isn't new. I remember when Zelda 64 came out, those that pre-ordered got gold cartridges.

[quote name='ShinAkuma']I could be mistaken, but I think this is definately a possibility because Amazon lists a Collector Edition for Metroid Prime Trilogy at near MSRP ($46.99). Gamestop has it too, but also with a small art book at $49.99. One Nintendo game getting a CE is enough for me to consider another might be true.[/QUOTE]

I believe all copies of the game have the art book. HOWEVER, you do get a shirt from Gamestop (a pretty stupid-ass looking shirt, but still). Both Amazon and Gamestop come with a poster.

I bet the Gamestop employee was just confused. There won't be a CE version of this game, they will maybe offer preorder goodies with it (perhaps downloadable content, or whatever). A CE is almost always not exclusive to just one retailer, but preorder goodies are.

Damn, is this game really as multiplayer oriented as people are saying in this thread? I was under the impression that you could play multiplayer and have it be unique, but that it was also a fun single player platformer. :/

[quote name='Rocko']Damn, is this game really as multiplayer oriented as people are saying in this thread? I was under the impression that you could play multiplayer and have it be unique, but that it was also a fun single player platformer. :/[/QUOTE]

It'll be a lot like how Four Swords/Adventures worked... it'll be playable alone but will likely be more fun with more people. If you watch some of the videos, even with multiple players, it looks like the stages could easily be enjoyed by a single player. Good alone, better with friends.

But I'm just baffled as to why they made a multiplayer centric game without online play. I mean, it's just beyond stupid. This is almost as stupid as forcing people to use GBAs/link cables to play Four Swords Adventures...

On the other hand, I would sure love some classic 2D Mario platforming...:whistle2:k

[quote name='InFlames215']I believe all copies of the game have the art book. HOWEVER, you do get a shirt from Gamestop (a pretty stupid-ass looking shirt, but still). Both Amazon and Gamestop come with a poster.

I bet the Gamestop employee was just confused. There won't be a CE version of this game, they will maybe offer preorder goodies with it (perhaps downloadable content, or whatever). A CE is almost always not exclusive to just one retailer, but preorder goodies are.[/QUOTE]

Well gamestop got exclusive Bioshock Le as well as the upcoming Assassin Creed 2 LE. And if you remember Target got exclusive Mario Golf content with different package.

Game isn't worth it entirely for the sole fact that it lacks a level editor.

What the hell, seriously?

Nintendo only makes 1 version of games they release (not including Platinum Hits editions and tweaked versions of games). So...I'm not believing this for a second.

An entire 3 pages of nothing but speculation. Let's save some space and close this down, please, until something is confirmed.

^I'm with you there. As much as I enjoy letting Gamestop hold on to some of my money for a long time, I'll hold off on this until I see something official.

I beg to differ with you on one point, Wii is last generation hardware. They could have easily released the Wii Sensor and Wiimote as an add-on to the Gamecube and the games ALL could have been done with the same graphics and same functions with the exception of having the SD card slot and internet.

[quote name='Wonka the Troll']I beg to differ with you on one point, Wii is last generation hardware. They could have easily released the Wii Sensor and Wiimote as an add-on to the Gamecube and the games ALL could have been done with the same graphics and same functions with the exception of having the SD card slot and internet.[/QUOTE]

uh oh.....

bread's done
Back