liquid-y good
+the meter that keeps track of the "liquid" spilled is good for a laugh
liquid-y hell
-the gameplay gets old fast; Jake jumps like he's wearing cement Keds
Shining Tears - 6.0
tears of joy
+nice character designs; intersting weapon upgrade system
tears of pain
-slooooow, as in 10-15 fps at all times; long, frequent load times = frustration
Ys: Ark of Napishtim - 8.0
level-up
+lovely, detailed, sprite-y graphics and charming, wonderful soundtrack
game over
-on the short and small side - don't expect an epic journey or a vast world
Winning Eleven 8 - 8.5
goal
+master league system with experience points, earned cash and tons of stats
hooligan
-defenders can get confused; renaming all the players can be time consuming
Sega Classics Collection - 4.0
genesis
+columns is still fairly challenging, Out Run plays as you remember
32X
-remakes lack style, charm and tuning of originals, visuals are bland, zero extras
Tenchu: Fatal Shadows - 8.0
ninja-riffic
+damn tricky level designs; all about the stealth Kills - which we love
peasant-poor
-inconsistent camera and iffy controls make you wish for a bit more polish
Street Fighter Arcade Stick - 9.0
fan service
+buttons are clearly marked; solidly buit; looks really good; sweet price
lip service
-start and select buttons awkwardly placed; cord could be a bit longer
Mortal Kombat Fatality Kontroller - 7.0
fatality
+looks great in the box; controls well and feels pretty comfortable in your hands
friendship
-some will find the art more cheesy than hardcore; cards are sooo 2004
Yu-Gi-Oh! Controller - 7.0
king of games
+it's got responsive buttons and is comfortable to hold; feels pretty sturdy
prince of lies
-this is a bit bulkier than a dualshock 2 - small-handed gamers take note!

definitely getting nba street vol 3 even though it's EA, but I'll get it for GC, might have to get it for XBOX as well for online play.

1 game under 6? That's why PSM sucks, they don't rate games low anymore. At least EGM and OPM give crap scores out whenever, PSM is just undecisive.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']1 game under 6? That's why PSM sucks, they don't rate games low anymore. At least EGM and OPM give crap scores out whenever, PSM is just undecisive.[/quote]

or maybe out of the 9 games that were reviewed, none were worth less than a 6 rating

out of the 6 high scores, anyone could've guessed that they were going to do well....ive seen many games below a 6 rating before in psm

its okay to have your own opinion, but i'd like to think that you wouldn't dislike them for this...im personally disliking them more and more now because of the stupid letters section with that retarded gorilla....they try too hard to turn the letters section into a comedic performance, which fails miserably....is it just me, or does anyone else like the letters sections the most in gaming mags?

[quote name='js1']that's good that DMC 3 got a great score , nice to see DMC bounce back. :D[/quote]
I agree. Its good to know that DMC 3 didn't turn out like DMC 2.

While they are wayyyyyyyyyy too generous, they further prove my point:

+gorgeous graphics and physics; incredibly deep game; great career mode
burns oil
-no online play; no damage modeling; no significant AI upgrades

There is absolutely, positively no reason to buy Gran Turismo 4 when you own Gran Turismo 3. There's no damage, no online mode, the same AI.. just buy GT3! Graphics don't make a game.

I thought Gran Turismo 4 was getting pushed back until March to fix online play...ouch, not so sure I want it now!

[quote name='Scorch']While they are wayyyyyyyyyy too generous, they further prove my point:

+gorgeous graphics and physics; incredibly deep game; great career mode
burns oil
-no online play; no damage modeling; no significant AI upgrades

There is absolutely, positively no reason to buy Gran Turismo 4 when you own Gran Turismo 3. There's no damage, no online mode, the same AI.. just buy GT3! Graphics don't make a game.[/quote]

There are about 3-4 times more cars than GT3, a lot more stuff to do, and more complete of a GT game since 3 wasn't even supposed to be GT3.

A lot more stuff to do? In regards to what, customizing your car? C'mon, there's no way, absolutely NO way you can justify a $49.99 pricetag on GT4.

[quote name='Scorch']A lot more stuff to do? In regards to what, customizing your car? C'mon, there's no way, absolutely NO way you can justify a $49.99 pricetag on GT4.[/quote]

That's crazy talk!! You can take a picture of your car in a scenic background and take up half a memory card. You can sit in the passenger seat and give instructions to the driver. Hot freaking damn, those features alone are worth at least $50.

[quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='Scorch']A lot more stuff to do? In regards to what, customizing your car? C'mon, there's no way, absolutely NO way you can justify a $49.99 pricetag on GT4.[/quote]

That's crazy talk!! You can take a picture of your car in a scenic background and take up half a memory card. You can sit in the passenger seat and give instructions to the driver. Hot freaking damn, those features alone are worth at least $50.[/quote]

Exactly.

GT 4 will be $20 in a month in a half so if you wait it will be worth it. Does anyone know if the beastie boyz are in the GC version of NBA Street 3? them and mario &crew will make it pretty awesome. (though it still sucks that theres no MJ)

[quote name='The Successful Dropout'][quote name='CrashSpyro123']1 game under 6? That's why PSM sucks, they don't rate games low anymore. At least EGM and OPM give crap scores out whenever, PSM is just undecisive.[/quote]

or maybe out of the 9 games that were reviewed, none were worth less than a 6 rating

out of the 6 high scores, anyone could've guessed that they were going to do well....ive seen many games below a 6 rating before in psm

its okay to have your own opinion, but i'd like to think that you wouldn't dislike them for this...im personally disliking them more and more now because of the stupid letters section with that retarded gorilla....they try too hard to turn the letters section into a comedic performance, which fails miserably....is it just me, or does anyone else like the letters sections the most in gaming mags?[/quote]

OPM manages to get several more reviews then PSM and they range the gaunlet from craptacular to awesome.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='The Successful Dropout'][quote name='CrashSpyro123']1 game under 6? That's why PSM sucks, they don't rate games low anymore. At least EGM and OPM give crap scores out whenever, PSM is just undecisive.[/quote]

its okay to have your own opinion, but i'd like to think that you wouldn't dislike them for this...im personally disliking them more and more now because of the stupid letters section with that retarded gorilla....they try too hard to turn the letters section into a comedic performance, which fails miserably....is it just me, or does anyone else like the letters sections the most in gaming mags?[/quote]

OPM manages to get several more reviews then PSM and they range the gaunlet from craptacular to awesome.[/quote]

my arguement wasn't that PSM is better than OPM, because I like OPM way more than PSM.....my arguement was that PSM doesn't suck just because out of the 9 games reviewed this month, only 1 was under a rating of 6

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='Scorch']A lot more stuff to do? In regards to what, customizing your car? C'mon, there's no way, absolutely NO way you can justify a $49.99 pricetag on GT4.[/quote]

That's crazy talk!! You can take a picture of your car in a scenic background and take up half a memory card. You can sit in the passenger seat and give instructions to the driver. Hot freaking damn, those features alone are worth at least $50.[/quote]

Exactly.[/quote]

Was that sarcasm?

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']1 game under 6? That's why PSM sucks, they don't rate games low anymore. At least EGM and OPM give crap scores out whenever, PSM is just undecisive.[/quote]

Sounds like "payola" to me.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='The Successful Dropout'][quote name='CrashSpyro123']1 game under 6? That's why PSM sucks, they don't rate games low anymore. At least EGM and OPM give crap scores out whenever, PSM is just undecisive.[/quote]

OPM manages to get several more reviews then PSM and they range the gaunlet from craptacular to awesome.[/quote]

my arguement wasn't that PSM is better than OPM, because I like OPM way more than PSM.....my arguement was that PSM doesn't suck just because out of the 9 games reviewed this month, only 1 was under a rating of 6[/quote]

Well no, I wasn't saying you did, I'm just saying they don't review all that many games. They seem undecisive when I've seen several issues where they had similar numbers of crap games reviewed. For $10, you can't expect all that much, but they've really declined since they've gone cheap.

[quote name='SteveMcQ'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='Scorch']A lot more stuff to do? In regards to what, customizing your car? C'mon, there's no way, absolutely NO way you can justify a $49.99 pricetag on GT4.[/quote]

Exactly.[/quote]

Was that sarcasm?[/quote]

Thank you for noticing that. If you ever have doubts that a sequel isn't worth it, read reviews. They'll tell you exactly what's new and why you should/shouldn't get that game. I'm a big GT fan and I see tons of new stuff that warrants a $50 purchase. I'm going to be getting some money, so I may actually pick this up at launch in 2 weeks or so. If you don't feel it's worth it, fine, that's your choice, but don't go around telling others it's not worth it. Point them to some reviews and let them decide for themselves.

I wouldn't mind more quantity from PSM, and while I look at the scores, I don't put much stock in them.
For games I'm interested in, I read the articles, to see *why* they rated them such. Things they may knock off a point for, may not matter to me, or things they give bonus for, again, may not matter to me.
Basically exactly like CrashSpyroBandicootDragon said, a review shouldn't be the be-all end-all, it should be a tool to see if the game sounds good to you, since all reviews are inherently subjective, and no two people have the exact same interests or focuses.

yeah, as anyone can see from taking a look at my collection...reviews don't mean much to me either....the higher score, the more likely i will enjoy it more...but thats never even close to always being the case...heres one example: some games rate lower then they should just because they don't have an online feature, and if they do, theirs no multiplayer...while some other games will rate higher because they have online and online multiplayer....i personally don't give a crap if a game has any online capabilities because ive never taken my gaming online....online features aside, i have a higher tolerance for "crappy" games than most people do....the only thing that sways me one way or the other are extremely beyond playable controls...even than, i still have a higher tolerance

[quote name='The Successful Dropout'][quote name='CrashSpyro123']1 game under 6? That's why PSM sucks, they don't rate games low anymore. At least EGM and OPM give crap scores out whenever, PSM is just undecisive.[/quote]

Yaeh I agree wtih you dropout, that stupid gorilla sh8# is just horrible. There's no use in it and it never is funny. Some mags. letters section is alright but there's is the absolute worst. I just skipp it. I tend to think that their reviews are decent. Sure they don't give out a low score for every game but when they do they seem to be right. this month just happens to be quite a few that I kind of was expecting to do well like DMC 3 and Winning Eleven (best soccer game out there, beats Fifa anyday IMO).

I'm buying Shining Tears, Sega Classics Collection, and Nano Breaker regardless to the reviews. But I'm glad to see Devil May Cry 3, GT4, and YSVI do well though.

bread's done
Back