Movie Gallery / Hollywood video power play?

giantjerk

CAGiversary!
Has anyone used Hollywood video or Movie Gallery's power play program for games? If so what did you think? I just saw their ad for it in the window when I drove by and wondered if it was anything like Blockbuster's all you can play thing. Thanks in advance.

As far as I know it's not. Hollywood video's program is so many points a month (let's say 25) and a dvd is 3 points, Blu-ray is 4 points and video game is 5 points. The points do rollover, but while the dvd and blu-ray are unlimited rental periods, I am pretty sure the video games are still on 5 day periods. Their old plan was a lot better (though it didn't include video games). It was unlimited rentals for a flat rate. Now it's just stupid. I don't know what Blockbuster's "all you can play" thing is, but the name alone suggests it is the better option.

Edit: you could probably just stop by and pick up a brochure and compare it to Blockbuster's program. There's also some info here: http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/powerplay/

Blockbuster's program used to be (several years ago) like $20ish for unlimited in store video game rentals... this was last gen. I used to live next door to a blockbuster so I'd just walk over every day and it was awesome. Now I live in a small town with just a Movie Gallery... it sucks. I use gamefly, but I miss being able to just stop by and swap out without having to mail anything.

[quote name='Trace17']Their old plan was a lot better (though it didn't include video games). It was unlimited rentals for a flat rate. Now it's just stupid.[/QUOTE]

The top option for PowerPlay, PowerPlay Platinum, is $39.99 a month, and you get unlimited rentals on games and movies (including blu-ray) as well as the benefits of being a power play member (discounts on PV's, discounts on concessions, etc)

[quote name='Scorch']The top option for PowerPlay, PowerPlay Platinum, is $39.99 a month, and you get unlimited rentals on games and movies (including blu-ray) as well as the benefits of being a power play member (discounts on PV's, discounts on concessions, etc)[/QUOTE]

Some of those discounts on PV aren't that great. I was in there a couple weeks ago and they had B2g2 on the pv $14.99 movies (In essence 4 for $30) then in fine print it said Powerplay members $8.99 each. I mean, that's great if you want just one but if want 3 or 4, you might as well go with the non-PP option and save some money.

I used to work for hollywood video and the only reason they have the powerplay is to try and combine their old MVP with the discount crap that Movie Gallery has so that it's universal... In the beginning it was worth it to get the Diamond (not Platinum) package, it is the 39.99 a month program where you get 3 items out at a time, up to 2 of the items can be games... other wise you save money with the cheaper packages but games you only get for 5 days, but can keep additional days for 1 point per day. Now they are changing it to where you have to have a debit/credit card to set it up so that it comes out off of your card every month and I kid you not a district manage TOLD ME that this was so that people will forget that it was on their account to let it keep drawing money out of their account. They don't tell people but they still have the Game packages where you pay 19.99 or 29.99 a month and can rent 1 or 2 games and swap them out whenever you want all month long. I don't think that it's worth it. Don't let them push it onto you, they are told to sell them to everyone or they will be wrote up and even fired!... Movie Gallery company is horrible, thats why I quit... you are so much better off getting Game Fly.

[quote name='amam865']I used to work for hollywood video and the only reason they have the powerplay is to try and combine their old MVP with the discount crap that Movie Gallery has so that it's universal... In the beginning it was worth it to get the Diamond (not Platinum) package, it is the 39.99 a month program where you get 3 items out at a time, up to 2 of the items can be games... other wise you save money with the cheaper packages but games you only get for 5 days, but can keep additional days for 1 point per day. Now they are changing it to where you have to have a debit/credit card to set it up so that it comes out off of your card every month and I kid you not a district manage TOLD ME that this was so that people will forget that it was on their account to let it keep drawing money out of their account. They don't tell people but they still have the Game packages where you pay 19.99 or 29.99 a month and can rent 1 or 2 games and swap them out whenever you want all month long. I don't think that it's worth it. Don't let them push it onto you, they are told to sell them to everyone or they will be wrote up and even fired!... Movie Gallery company is horrible, thats why I quit... you are so much better off getting Game Fly.[/QUOTE]

Gamefly is horrible...SLOW shipping and it's like winning the lottery when you get a new release.

The Movie Gallery option is good for people like me. I rent 1-3 games a month, so I do the 15 point a month thing. The points roll over if no new games come out. Also, I use a Movie Gallery that doesn't get a lot of traffic, so I stop by most every Tuesday afternoon and have new releases waiting for me. Just played through Batman and Beatles on day one from Movie Gallery.

bread's done
Back