Computer will not sleep.

Full_Throttle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hello all,

I recently finished a build for my dad, but the problem is that it just won't sleep. With both 7 and XP, I can click on "sleep", and the monitor sleeps, but the computer still runs at full capacity, or so it appears. I cannot wake it up from this mode. When I set it to hibernate, the computer hibernates for about 2 seconds then resets itself.

Build:

Intel desktop board D975XBX (not what BIOS rev)
Intel Pentium Extreme processor
3GB RAM, DDR2, dual channel
320GB WD HDD, SATA
DVD-RW Lite-On, SATA
400W PSU
evga nVidia 8400, 512mb, PICE-e 16x

The previous problems I've had with this computer:

-- Windows XP would not recognize the SATA drive. The SATA mode had to be changed to IDE in the BIOS to make it work.
-- First boot with CPU was unsuccessful, Took it out, blew air on the pins, placed back in with replaced heat spreader, worked.
-- Current problem: extremely hot proc. Around 65 Celsius.

My best guess would be to update the BIOS (which I will try when I get back home tonight), but if that doesn't work I'm not sure where to turn. Sleep or hibernation is a necessity for my dad, so "just turn it off" would not be a helpful answer. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Full_Throttle

One possibility is that you let Windows select the drivers for the hardware instead of using manufacturer drivers, or if you have something in the build that is incorrectly installed or not ACPI complaint. It could also be that may have a conflict between the BIOS and Windows fighting for control over sleep mode.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']How would I be able to tell if something is ACPI compliant?

I'd search, but train + 3G ftw.[/QUOTE]
Re-reading your initial post, with a new build odds are far more likely it's a driver or BIOS issue. I remember a family member's laptop wouldn't sleep until all the drivers for all the system devices were fully loaded after a reinstall. Make sure there's no warnings in the hardware manager.

Update to the MOBO's latest available BIOS, go from there. It's not a good sign that you had to rig the IDE settings to recognize the drive. That's definitely a motherboard problem, because all of the hardware you installed is pretty common stuff. If the BIOS update doesn't work, I'd RMA the board.

BIOS update seemed to do the trick. It was a 2 year old rev, so I suppose it makes sense. As for the IDE/SATA thing, is this not Windows XP's fault? I had simply presumed that Windows XP (specifically Media Center 2005) did not recognize SATA drives because SATA was a less popular format. Windows 7 recognized the blank drive immediately.

bread's done
Back