Diablo 2 or Warcraft 3?

will52

CAGiversary!
Watched Blizzcon, itching to play something, which box set should I get and why?

I have briefly played these games years ago and am still a big SC fan.

Both are great, so you can't really go wrong. It all comes down to if you'd rather play an action rpg (Diablo II) or a real time strategy game (Warcraft III). They both scratch a different itch.

If you have any desire to make stuff, WC3. SC2 will be using the same editor, so anything you learn now will be applicable when SC2 comes out.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']WC3 has lots of custom maps, tower defense, DotA, Hero Line Wars, Enfos, I could go on. You can't go wrong.[/QUOTE]

Agree. The online community is still alive and kicking with DoTA especially so your purchase will go further.

Also WC3 will allow you to gain critical RTS skills from a Blizzard perspective if you wish to continue into StarCraft 2. Granted this is assuming you already have the Starcraft box set. Go for WC3 Frozen Throne. :)

Diablo 3 looks great. But I think the skills there will be gotten from Diablo 3., not Diablo 2. It seems to be a much different game than Diablo 2 for better or worse.

Both are amazing. Diablo 2 is great to play if you get some friends and get a good LAN going on.

WC3's has got an insane amount of multiplayer content, but it's not very noob friendly (especially DotA), so just a heads up on that. Its single player is a lot of fun though (I thought so anyway). It's got a really cool story that leads straight into World of Warcraft (if you play that) and you've got 4 campaigns in Reign of Chaos alone (human/alliance, undead/scourge, orc/horde, and elves). Not to mention all the content Frozen Throne adds. It's got a really cool (but short) action RPG type campaign with Rexxar.

If you can, get both. You've got plenty of time until Starcraft 2, diablo 3 and the next WoW expansion comes out.

My vote goes to Diablo 2, I will still play that game from time to time and with the new patch that's comming out (sometime I hope at least) I'll be playing it much more.

do you have a widesceen monitor?
there is a patch for wc3, but it may be irritating how constrained you are to zoom out

im in the same boat. Some reason just got back into a big Blizzard kick.

Playing through Warcraft 3 and starcraft campaigns now.

Id suggest Diablo 2 if you know others to play online with, or War 3 if you are looking for more of a single player online experience.

Warcraft 3 imo...

Diablo 2 is tooo long, so well unless you got a lot of time to waste building your characters, etc then Warcraft 3 is for you.

Diablo 2 is just too painful to play now. If you are itching for a dungeon crawler check out Sacred 2, Amazon has the CE for $20 now.

I enjoyed the Diablo set a lot more. Warcraft plays almost nothing like Starcraft. Also not a fan of the pretty lackluster story.

Thought id throw this out there i just started playing diablo 2 today for the first time. Im enjoying it how does online work can i take my single player character on there or what can anyone help?

They are definitely very different games.

Diablo 2 is fun in a sort of MMORPG way -- like, it's fun to play and level up and get items and sort of 'hang out' with online friends while doing it, but if you get hardcore into it, you'll just be screaming at yourself "WHY AM I SPENDING MY LIFE THIS WAY".

By contrast, the multiplayer of WC3 is much less casual-friendly, it's pretty hard to get in to, definitely not accessible. Even if you're a strategy genius and spend a year in advance reading about the game mechanics, an experienced player will thrash you based on their micromanagement alone. Back in my heyday (patch 1.07) I was ranked top 100 solo ladder and top 10 free for all ladder, against average players I could literally take a pee break at the begining of a game, be rushed, and still win just from micromanagement. An experienced player can use an army worth 500 gold and demolish an army worth 2500 gold. It's just very very very difficult for inexperienced players to win, they don't stand much of a chance until the controls become second nature and they're at least at 100+ APM (actions per minute). Most newbs are closer to 30 APM.

So... yeah... if you plan on playing the real games, most people have more fun with D2, but IMO WC3 is a faaaar superior game. If you plan on playing single-player only, I think WC3 is a much stronger game, D2 can be pretty boring single-player. If you plan on playing mods and custom maps, I'd say they're on equal ground.

Definitely can't go wrong either way.

definitely your right about that W3....
Diablo 2 has those cheat programs....
And thats why I only played it for the campaign...

If you're itchin to play D2, I'd suggest Titan Quest: Gold. It's $19.99, you'll play it for weeks, and it addresses a lot of the issues players had in D2. No more ID scrolls, Portal Scrolls, the ability to pay gold to redo your skill choices, and though a bit limited you can choose to play a hero or heroine for each class combination. Also the graphics are updated...the whole historial fiction twist is nice too playing with mythos and legend.

WC3, has a lot of potential but as mentioned earlier to get the most out of it it through online play. So unless you're a seasoned veteran or have friends who won't rush you in the first 5 minutes I'd say stick to the campaign mode. There's also a campaign mode that lets you play as Rexxar which is much like DotA except you don't have players who are DotA ninjas. Much like the online experience of WC3, DotA players who know their stuff will level faster and buy equipment that will quickly paint a bullseye on your hero. Once you're tagged as a grief target, the game ends quickly and generally it tends to lose the enjoyment factor.

Of course, you can always get both. There are tons of ppl who are selling their D2 and WC3 collections online for cheap. Just know the price of the lowest retail price and go half or something.

Also if you register your keys with battle.net you can use a download version which requires no cds anymore. I was iching to play diablo 1 again but it does not work with windows 7 x64 :(

I personally like the two games but i do not play starcraft that much, and i do play Diablo II LOD a lot until nao, looking forward for more practices and familiarize my self to starcraft.

Both are great, and you should play both if you've never played either, but if you must choose, then it comes down to personal preference.

If you like strategy games, choose W3, and if you like hack-n-slash, RPG's, or action games, choose Diablo.

Until now i still do play Diablo II LOD it has something addicting on it, and i keep playing and playing.

Diablo 2 is a fantastic game. personally i have no desire to play WC3, i'd rather play SC personally. if you ask me get the battlechest for d2 and if you crave the strategy genre get the SC battlechest later. Diablo is one of the funnest fucking games when you get together with a few friends and take crazy demons and shit out together

Diablo 2, most def.

I played that thing for eons. WC III is a classic as well, but for whatever reason didn't have the longevity of Blizzard's other games for me (especially Diablo 2 and Brood War).

[quote name='tcrash247']This thread was created a year ago, I doubt he's still looking for recommendations lol.[/QUOTE]
So, I'm really dumb.

Damn CAGs in Training bumping dead threads :lol:

[quote name='beachbum662']Diablo 2 is a fantastic game. personally i have no desire to play WC3, i'd rather play SC personally. if you ask me get the battlechest for d2 and if you crave the strategy genre get the SC battlechest later. Diablo is one of the funnest fucking games when you get together with a few friends and take crazy demons and shit out together[/QUOTE]
And you brought back a year old thread why?

[quote name='beachbum662']Diablo 2 is a fantastic game. personally i have no desire to play WC3, i'd rather play SC personally. if you ask me get the battlechest for d2 and if you crave the strategy genre get the SC battlechest later. Diablo is one of the funnest fucking games when you get together with a few friends and take crazy demons and shit out together[/QUOTE]

Indulge me: how did you even find this thread? I'm honestly curious as to just how this sort of gravedigging happens.

bread's done
Back