Wolfenstein PC $35.49 @ Amazon.com

Definitely worth $32. One of the more underrated games in a while. Had a blast playing through the single player campaign. Multiplayer...well, it sucked.

Great price, but there may be a reason for the price... i have for the 360 and the multiplayer was terrible. it just made me look forward to cod modern warfare 2 a lot more.
151l1259.jpg

God dammit I knew this would happen. It's not even been two weeks and the price tanked. To top it off, I can't even really get into the game, since they made it more like FarCry 2 (except very small) and less like RTCW. Also, it's 2009: stop using that outdated quake engine, Raven. Ah well, at least I was able to get it from BB for $39 (post-tax) after 10% coupon and $10 GC.

I'm reaaaaaaaally getting sick of games not holding value and it's going to force me to start waiting a month on anything that isn't AAA.

Seeing as the multiplayer is terrible from what I keep hearing, I'd only be in for the single player campaign, which I wouldn't pay more than $25 for. Doesn't matter anyway, since I'm renting it on 360.

FWIW, it's $34.90 + $2.99 S&H ( at GoGamer.com and it isn't even in their current "48hr Madness" deal... $50 on 360. I expect it to be even less in one of the next 48 Hour Madness-es. The shipping isn't so bad considering that I almost always find a few things I want to order together.

[quote name='Jodou']God dammit I knew this would happen. It's not even been two weeks and the price tanked. To top it off, I can't even really get into the game, since they made it more like FarCry 2 (except very small) and less like RTCW. Also, it's 2009: stop using that outdated quake engine, Raven.[/QUOTE]

First of all, it's the Doom 3 engine (not "Quake"); second... "outdated?" It's OpenGL and fully extensible to use any current hardware feature that the latest DirectX hardware provides. Prey, Quake 4, Enemy Territory Quake Wars, etc are all beautiful games that port easily thanks to OpenGL.

[quote name='Jodou']I'm reaaaaaaaally getting sick of games not holding value and it's going to force me to start waiting a month on anything that isn't AAA.[/QUOTE]

I consider id/Raven releases "Triple-A." Always have. That said, i was pissed when I spent $60 on the collector's edition version of ET:QW at Best Buy for some stupid little BB exclusive pamphlet and the same box was still in stock for $10 in almost no time.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, it's $34.90 at GoGamer.com and it isn't even in their current "48hr Madness" deal... $50 on 360. I expect it to be even less in one of the next 48 Hour Madness-es.

[quote name='Jodou']God dammit I knew this would happen. It's not even been two weeks and the price tanked. To top it off, I can't even really get into the game, since they made it more like FarCry 2 (except very small) and less like RTCW. Also, it's 2009: stop using that outdated quake engine, Raven.[/QUOTE]

First of all, it's the Doom 3 engine (not "Quake"); second... "outdated?" It's OpenGL and fully extensible to use any current hardware feature that the latest DirectX hardware provides. Prey, Quake 4, Enemy Territory Quake Wars, etc are all beautiful games that port easily thanks to OpenGL.

[quote name='Jodou']I'm reaaaaaaaally getting sick of games not holding value and it's going to force me to start waiting a month on anything that isn't AAA.[/QUOTE]

I consider id/Raven releases "Triple-A." Always have. That said, i was pissed when I spent $60 on the collector's edition version of ET:QW at Best Buy for some stupid little BB exclusive pamphlet and the same box was still in stock for $10 in almost no time.

[quote name='CZroe']First of all, it's the Doom 3 engine (not "Quake"); second... "outdated?" It's OpenGL and fully extensible to use any current hardware feature that the latest DirectX hardware provides. Prey, Quake 4, Enemy Territory Quake Wars, etc are all beautiful games that port easily thanks to OpenGL.[/quote]Whatever, id's Rage engine would have been nice to see in action for this game, but they had to stick with last gen since the engine wasn't ready during development.
I consider id/Raven releases "Triple-A." Always have.
I used to as well, until this underwhelming attempt. While there were subtle nods to the old games in this one, it really failed to capture the same quirkiness of the originals. I especially didn't like the move away from having a lone wolf, silent protagonist. BJ is an army of one and having to constantly travel back to base just broke up the flow of the game negatively.

I'm afraid this franchise is dead to me unless they get the original RTCW team to do the next one.

Only Raven games I've disliked were...oh shoot, that military shooter from the early 2000s or late 90's, and the spastic Marvel action RPGs. Everything else I've loved.

And every podcast I've been listening to, they all love this. And it's not outdated, I mean it's not running ID's newest engine, but it's still a current gen engine...

[quote name='saturnotaku']Even Quake 4? :shock:[/QUOTE]

Of course... and it's not just me (read up on the critical reception). Your frame of reference must have been from the crappy 360 version for such a reaction.

[quote name='CZroe']Your frame of reference must have been from the crappy 360 version for such a reaction.[/QUOTE]

Nope. PC version. It was nothing more than a generic space marines FPS dog-shit-brown-a-thon. Not a bad game, but not great either. I'd be more harsh towards it had I spent more than the $7 it cost me at Half Price Books.

I didn't think it was the greatest game ever, but IMO far better than other FPS that get hyped up like Call of Duty, Halo, and Uncharted.

[quote name='CZroe']

[/QUOTE]

ROFL.

Your evidence that this game isn't dated is that it uses the DOOM 3 engine?

I repeat: ROFL.

Maybe the Doom 3 engine feels advanced to you because it's the best your crap pc and its geforce 6800 can run, but the rest of us have moved on. If you spent less money on garbage games like Wolfenstein, you'd have money to buy a new graphics card.

[quote name='saturnotaku']Nope. PC version. It was nothing more than a generic space marines FPS dog-shit-brown-a-thon. Not a bad game, but not great either. I'd be more harsh towards it had I spent more than the $7 it cost me at Half Price Books.[/QUOTE]Quake always has been a generic FPS game so I'm not sure what you are complaining about. You must have been new to the series. :roll:

[quote name='Wolfpup']I didn't think it was the greatest game ever, but IMO far better than other FPS that get hyped up like Call of Duty, Halo, and Uncharted.[/QUOTE]

Lol Uncharted is not an FPS. No duh.

[quote name='JCDenton']ROFL.

I repeat: ROFL. [/quote]

You role on the floor with laughter when someone says a current gen engine is a current gen engine? Odd sense of humor, but okay....

[quote name='pram12']Lol Uncharted is not an FPS. No duh.[/QUOTE]

:roll: I guess for you I should have specified "third person shooter".

[quote name='JCDenton']ROFL.

I repeat: ROFL.

Maybe the Doom 3 engine feels advanced to you because it's the best your crap pc and its geforce 6800 can run, but the rest of us have moved on. If you spent less money on garbage games like Wolfenstein, you'd have money to buy a new graphics card.[/QUOTE]

You are beyond idiotic. First is your failure at reading comprehension. Notice, I didn't even touch on the "outdated" comment until AFTER I had corrected the person's identification of the engine used. Now, your response seems to indicate your thought process:
Doom 3 is old therefore Doom 3's engine is old and outdated.
This is FAR from the truth. A completely over-hauled Quake 2 engine birthed Half-Life, Counter-Strike, etc, and it ran perfectly fine with graphical enhancements provided by Blue Shift and the Dreamcast/PS2 ports. The Quake 3 engine was pushed and pushed to make incredible games like the original Call of Duty and Raven's Star Trek Voyager Elite Force many, many, many years after Quake 3 ran its course.

As for Doom 3, Valve's Source engine is a year older and I don't see you ripping on Valve for using the Source engine on Left 4 Dead 2, L4D, and Orange Box even though they look obviously dated when compared to the competition on XBOX 360 and PS3. On the other hand, Prey was BEAUTIFUL on the XBOX 360 and PC. To put things in perspective, the XBOX 360 launched in 2005 and the graphics technology being used in graphically praised games like the CoD series is based on the DX9 hardaware available THEN. The PS3's DX9-class graphics hardware was finalized for a 2005 release as well but it was delayed until its 7800GT-class hardware was obsolete. This is the lowest-common-denominator YET, as demonstrated by he current generation of console games and their PC ports, the DX9-class capabilities of DX10 hardware can be more impressive than DX10 due to the performance hit those features incur. When X-Play said that Infinity Ward must have sold their souls to get the kind of graphics they were getting with DX9-class hardware, they were suitably impressed.

Like most flexible licensed engines, the Doom 3 engine continued development as it is the only advanced portable engine capable of rivaling Unreal Engine 3 while taking advantage of all Direct X hardware with the VASTLY more portable OpenGL. They are single-handedly the biggest modernizing force OpenGL has and the one reason why it is still every bit as good as DirectX for high-end graphics.

Now, as far as the renaming to idTech 4, it was done for the very same reason as Unreal Engine 3 isn't called "The Unreal Tournament 3 Engine." It allowed them to license, create, and release other games with the engine technology before either UT3 or, for that matter, even the UE3 itself were complete.

And insulting my experience with PC gaming hardware smacks of ignorance. I've always stayed FAR ahead of the curve on PC gaming hardware. Did you spend $530 on your PSU alone? I thought not. I have them in TWO systems.

idTech 4 AKA "Doom 3 engine" is the closest OpenGL equivalent of Unreal Engine 3 and it isn't an understatement to say that it rivals it. UE3 may be easier to use for the same reason DirectX and XBOX 360 dev kits are easier than the alternatives, but it doesn't mean that OpenGL and idTech 4 are obsolete. FAR from it, in fact. I'm actually surprised that the PS3 and Mac ports of so many UE3 games are possible or worth porting. Most probably started with that RenderWare garbage... ugh.

[quote name='CZroe']

First of all, it's the Doom 3 engine (not "Quake"); second... "outdated?" It's OpenGL and fully extensible to use any current hardware feature that the latest DirectX hardware provides. Prey, Quake 4, Enemy Territory Quake Wars, etc are all beautiful games that port easily thanks to OpenGL.[/QUOTE]
It's extremely outdated tech, it's still using shadow volumes, it doesn't support anti aliasing, Quake 4 had ugly ugly outdoor areas, and this is built off of that same tech, not related to any of the megatexture stuff. On that point it actually has embarrassing no resolution textures with shiny specular highlights thrown over them. Not to mention because of being OpenGL it's extremely outdated visually. It doesn't support anti-aliasing because of it. It's embarrassing ID would even let their name be on this terrible consolized garbage to begin with.

You seriously don't know what you're talking about. The Quake 3/ID Tech 3 engine is still being used-there are pieces of it in modern Call of Duty. The Source engine is still being used and I think even it still looks great. Unreal Engine 3 is still being used. Engines are used for a long time, that doesn't make them "outdated".

And Open GL is not "outdated". That doesn't even make any sense. What are you thinking to think that could possibly make the slightest sense? Are all PS3 games "outdated"? Are the Geforce GTX 285 and Radeon 4780 "outdated"?

Claiming OpenGL is outdated is the same thing as claiming all current graphics are outdated, which makes no sense at all.

bread's done
Back