Tsukento's Look at Dreamcast DLC

Tsukento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
It's a fact; games today are taking advantage of the online capabilities of the consoles we have today and gamers are being given new content via download.

What many people don't realize is that the Sega Dreamcast was the first console to do this globally (it was done on the Super Famicom and Mega Drive before, but exclusively to Japan via internet add-ons). Years have gone by and Sega has officially taken down all official Dreamcast content accessible through the games themselves. Some of the games that were eventually ported to future consoles don't even have this content. Because of this, some people were never given the chance to see what some of original DLC on Dreamcast games looked like.

That's where I come in. After digging through my 8-page memory card and several VMUs, I've managed to record footage of said DLC that I obtained back when the content was still available. Now you all can see what Sega had to offer back then.

Now mind you, I don't have every bit of DLC that was available and I am working on finding them through sites that allow you to download them. Also keep in mind that there are a few games that I have yet to record footage for, so this is also a work in progress. Finally, I've omitted some DLC as they were either available in the future ports or have been changed a bit (in both instances, Phantasy Star Online is a good example).

(One last thing, some DLC were only available for certain regions. I will try my best to record footage of said DLC should they only be available to certain regions of certain games.)

Now, here we go!

ChuChu Rocket!

Jet Grind Radio

Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2

Samba de Amigo

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice thread, thanks. I didn't realize Sonic had so much DLC. The only one I remember was Halloween in Twinkle Park. Still it's cool to see how far ahead in the industry the DC was.

Any chance that they are still downloadable? Or is there another way we could get the DLC. I need to hook up my dreamcast but I like my saturn better.

It's available out there, just not through the in-game browsers since Sega pulled support for the servers hosting the content (Dricas). I would have suggested Planetweb's site, but it seems they've now taken down their Dreamcast site starting last Sunday.

There's also VMU backup ISOs that you can burn onto a CD, but you gotta Google that for yourself. :p

And yeah, SoA has DLC. Came in the form of two new weapons, one for Vyse and one for Aika, as well as an extra battle and new location to visit. I've got 'em, so no worries there. :p

[quote name='Chuplayer']I still have that Crazy Taxi 2 DLC where all of the people turn into cheerleaders ;)[/QUOTE]
I've only been able to find two files online, though I'm not sure if there's more. That one feels more like a legit GameShark/Action Replay trick. :p

I'm probably gonna record how Jet Set Radio's downloading feature worked.

I feel compelled to mention the awesome DLC that Spike created for Firepro Wrestling D. In addition to releasing new wrestling moves as active wrestlers debuted them (the Shining Wizard by Keiji Mutoh comes to mind), they released Spike-made sets of wrestlers ranging from current WWE guys to fantasy creations.

The DC was very much ahead of its time. Phantasy Star Online was running (relatively) smoothly waaaaaay before Sony entered the online arena. *sniff* Poor Sega.

I remember playing PSO on a 56k back in the day with the keyboard peripheral. Also listening to the Giant Bombcast today, they said you could hook up a gameshark and cast spells in the lobby thereby crashing the server.

Oh yeah. There was a LOT of hacking during PSO's Dreamcast days. There was server crashing, FSOD, BSOD, RSOD (reset screen of death, where Dreamcast resets itself while you're in the middle of something which was terrible for Ver. 2 players since the game saved between loading screens), PKing, VMU Killing (all files for PSO on VMU = baleeted), character changing (where they would change your character into one of the various NPC characters, the most common being the level 5 HUnewearl named Nol), and even character killing (not to be confused with PK, this one involves giving another player a broken God item that makes your character's HP equate to 0, which insta-kills your character and makes them unusable).

Not to mention, when you died, people could yoink your weapons and money since they would fall on the floor. Then you had people hacking weapons to have an ungodly amount of power and what not, including Mags with unlimited benefits that don't go away unless you go back to town or leave the game.

This is awesome I forgot all about the DLC on the Dreamcast...

One thing that does come to mind is I used to play Speed Devils and I remeber there was some cars that were DLC? I think

bread's done
Back