Anyone feel this site leads to a purchasing addiction?

andrew333

CAGiversary!
as i view the new $10 outlaw volleyball price, i am questioning my mental health, sure the game looks mildly amusing but would i rather play outlaw volleyball or ninja gaiden a second time

i think i have a problem -- and that problem's name is cheap ass video game deals

does anyone else feel shame over how many videogames they own?

I don't feel shame, but I do find myself jumping at a lot of deals for games which I probably don't have time to play or will ever play. But who cares, we play video games and having a sweet collection when you know that you paid less is worth it for me.

I've officially began a stoppage on my video game buying since i got so many in one period and haven't touched most of em. But i might still be tempted with those few excellent deals however.

Of course this site lends toward an increased tendency to buy games. The added thrill of a bargainhunter's find is enough to drive most of us over the line from finishing each game before buying a new one to having a stack of unopened games and spending time hunting for bargains to contribute to the site instead of playing said games.
You're not alone, Andrew333. This site has impaired the good fiscal sense of a whole lotta people. :^)

I agree, I can't get enough cheapass games. I had to buy a shelf to hold all my XBox games and DVDs. I'm trying to limit myself so I don't go broke but its so damn hard to. Damn you CheapAssGamer.com!

Oh, I'm sorry, I'll never get mad at you. *hugs monitor*

Yeah, it definitely puts a dent in the pockets. I've bought over 10 games in the little time that I have been a member here, most in the last two months.

This site is evil but I love it just the same. I have purchased around 26 games for the cube since being a member here, when I am supposed to be saving up for a trip. Of course my average is around 10-12 bucks so I got probably three times as many games as I could have purchased without the site. Sometimes I end up buying games I really didn't even want (like Star Wars Rebel Strike RS3), but then again it gets me to try different games. Its sad at times that I enjoy hunting for games and adding them to my collection more than actually playing some of them. Well this is my latest addiction, cheap dvds was the former (and still current).

i broke yet again - went to best buy and bought outlaw volleyball for $10

the question now is will i ever break the seal

I think it does. For the past few years though anytime I saw a game for $5 or $10, I had a hard time not buying it.

I recently looked at my collection and looked at all the unplayed games I have (I still have games I bought 2 years ago that are unopened) and realized I need to cut back on buying games. I still will buy a cheap game if I have wanted it but didn't want to pay full price for it but I stopped buying games I didn't want that much just because they were cheap.

[quote name='magilacudy']I agree, I can't get enough cheapass games. I had to buy a shelf to hold all my XBox games and DVDs. I'm trying to limit myself so I don't go broke but its so damn hard to. Damn you CheapAssGamer.com!

Oh, I'm sorry, I'll never get mad at you. *hugs monitor*[/quote]

A true cheapass would have built a shelf out of some 2x4s and some nails. But I cannot stop myself from buying games. As long as I have money in my bank account, I will spend money on games and to a lesser extent, dvds.

[quote name='andrew333']i broke yet again - went to best buy and bought outlaw volleyball for $10

the question now is will i ever break the seal[/quote]

Well done. That makes you the unfficial CAG poster-child for Rubber Spine Syndrome for the next two minutes. That's how long it'll take before somebody else here orders a game which will be tossed unopened onto a pile of its bretheren.

I wonder if CheapyD has the biggest pile of us all? ....or if he has no pile at all. The first thought is really friggin creepy. The second makes me feel vaguely like I've been had. :?

oh yeah, I definitely find myself buying more games than I ever did. then again, it basically killed my record purchasing. nothing like transferring from one medium to another.

more interesting question:

how many ppl buy nearly all the deals they see, versus picking up only games you'll probably like?

I'm guessing I've returned two dozen or so games since joining this site, as I'd pick up a cheap game, read the review(s) on it at home, then take it back. even happens with used games. I'd be disappointed w/ the condition and return it, even if I didn't think I'd find it again.

quality wins over quantity, at least in most cases ;)

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']this site is killing me. ive bought so many games with it, that im banned from getting them until may.[/quote]

yes ive been placed on restriction until september. That horror of it is im still on here everyday seeing if anything I MUST own crosses these threads.

Its like a crack addiction without sacrificing your teeth

I too am feeling the guilt of buying too many games since joining the site. Before I started visiting this site I haven't bought a game since October of 2003. I only had two unopened games I needed to play through. Now I have around 10 unopened bargain games I have bought. I need help. I need to stop.

yes this site does lead to a buying addiction. i thought when i first joined this site it'd help me save money, and it so far both has and hasn't. although i spend a lot less on the games i buy, i'm buying more games cause this whole new world of video game deals has opened up. but i probally dont have it as bad as some since i dont buy every good deal i c, i still only buy games that i will play.

Yeah it leads to an addiction, but more like heroin than crack. I've gotten way too much crap since I've started coming, and what's in my "stack" includes:

Freedom Force (In Gamer's Pack)
Red Faction II ($5)
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits ($2.50)
Beyond Good & Evil ($10)
Black & Bruised ($5)
Cabela's Big Game Hunter ($7.50)
Clock Tower 3 ($5)
Devil May Cry ($5)
Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick ($5)
Fisherman's Bass Club ($4.50)
Hot Shots Golf 3 ($7.50)
James Bond 007 in... Agent Under Fire ($10)
Kya: Dark Lineage ($7.50)
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory ($5)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty ($5)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance ($5)
Motor Mayhem ($5)
Summer Heat Beach Volleyball ($4)
Total Immersion Racing ($5)
Turok: Evolution ($3)
UNLIMITED SaGa ($7.50)
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht ($7.50)
Aliens Vs. Predator: Extinction ($7.50)
Blinx ($5)
GUNVALKYRIE ($3.85)
Indiana Jones: The Emporer's Tomb ($7.50)
James Bond 007: NightFire ($10)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 ($7.50)
World Series Baseball ($5)
World Series Baseball 2K3 ($7.50)
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions ($5)
4x4 Evo 2 ($3)
BMX XXX ($3)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ($5)
Knockout Kings 2003 ($5)
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance ($5)
Pikmin ($7)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike ($15.35)

That's a lot of games/money spent that are unused, but they all sit on the shelf, someday, maybe going to get opened up and played (last one opened was INDYCAR Series)

BigDirty - all will be forgiven if you play Freedom Force. :D

I actually haven't become addicted...yet. A big part of that's due to two reasons:

1.) being constantly broke
2.) not having a Cube, PS2, or XBox

When I do see a deal, though, for my beloved GBA or PC, I'm all over it. I'm still loving Wario Ware...best $20 I've spent on a game so far this year. :D

My girlfriend teases me because I enjoy the thrill of hunting - and subsequently finding - games for cheap. Like everyone else on here, I have a growing stack of games that sit unopened. It's ridiculous. However, I have turned it into somewhat of a redeemable hobby. I pretty much only seek out the deals for 1) game I know I want, or 2) games I know I can turn a profit on through trades. I've been able to snag copies of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes and Splinter Cell: PT for about $10 each through buying Cheap Ass Games and then selling them for much more.

BigDirty,

impressive collection for those prices! I fear my collection averages just over $10/game, which really isn't that bad under most circumstances. the problem is that's for 70 or 80+ games since the beginning of this year.

[quote name='waxHead']BigDirty,

impressive collection for those prices! I fear my collection averages just over $10/game, which really isn't that bad under most circumstances. the problem is that's for 70 or 80+ games since the beginning of this year.[/quote]

Thing is, that's just my "Stack"... if I did it for what I've purchased from this site, I think I'd still be listing :wink:

[quote name='basketkase543']I've officially began a stoppage on my video game buying since i got so many in one period and haven't touched most of em. But i might still be tempted with those few excellent deals however.[/quote]

same here, LOL!

[quote name='BigDirty']
Thing is, that's just my "Stack"... if I did it for what I've purchased from this site, I think I'd still be listing :wink:[/quote]

hahaha, I hear that! I can't be bothered to enter them all in at one of the online collection pages, it would take too much time.

as you've been a member quite a while, I'm sure your entire collection is... enormous :D

now the trick is to find myself a local Target... ;)

I started buying games at the end of December, since then I have spent about 700-800 on games and a GBASP, This doesnt include the ps2 bundle that I got for xmas.

I spent between 500-600 on home console games, and have purchased about 60 games at 10 a piece avg. Current game count 220+ Legit :(

I have also spent a lot of money on Toys/Cels/My Car :(

All this in about 3 1/2 months

[quote name='waxHead']hahaha, I hear that! I can't be bothered to enter them all in at one of the online collection pages, it would take too much time.
[/quote]

Actually, it's worth it to log them into a collection site, and if you get the chance, two collection sites. It helps me out to know where games I've loaned out are, and also, depending on company, for an estimated value for your renter's/homeowners insurance.

I was at a Target the other day . . . and saw a copy of Jedi Outcast for $7.50 . . .

I was looking for Midnight Club 2 for $5 . . . no luck.

Then I decided to put Jedi Outcast back . . . not much of a deal if I'm never, ever going to play it . . . I have at least 10 excellent games waiting for me to finish Metal Arms on the Xbox . . . like Viewtiful Joe . . . Why bother with a so-so game when I don't have time for the good ones?

But I still like the thrill of pursuit . . .

My free Xbox (about $20 in fees) from freevideogames.com was the only earth shattering deal I've had lately.

[quote name='BigDirty'][quote name='waxHead']hahaha, I hear that! I can't be bothered to enter them all in at one of the online collection pages, it would take too much time.
[/quote]

Actually, it's worth it to log them into a collection site, and if you get the chance, two collection sites. It helps me out to know where games I've loaned out are, and also, depending on company, for an estimated value for your renter's/homeowners insurance.[/quote]

Good point on the insurance. I really need to do this for my record collection, but I've never seen any sites for cataloging dance and hip-hop records and coming up with an estimated value for the whole collection :?

[quote name='BigDirty'][quote name='waxHead']hahaha, I hear that! I can't be bothered to enter them all in at one of the online collection pages, it would take too much time.
[/quote]

Actually, it's worth it to log them into a collection site, and if you get the chance, two collection sites. It helps me out to know where games I've loaned out are, and also, depending on company, for an estimated value for your renter's/homeowners insurance.[/quote]

Yeah, I started keeping my games in an on going notepad file on my computer. Living in a fraternity living area, people borrow things, and if they don't say anything, you don't know who has what or maybe even what's gone without a lot of thinking, if your collection's big enough.

[quote name='deacon']I though I was buying to many games. Thanks for allowing me to rationalize my concerns away. :wink:[/quote]

it's easier just to do it every time you find a good deal:

internal monologue:

Ego: "well, it's another $10 game, actually a pretty good one. but I just bought five yesterday, so I think I'll pass."

Id: "if you don't get it, you'll think about it tonight, come back tomorrow, and it'll be gone. then in two months you'll be kicking yourself for not having picked it up when EB is selling used copies for $25."

Ego: "sold."

[quote name='PapiChullo']
Yeah, I started keeping my games in an on going notepad file on my computer. Living in a fraternity living area, people borrow things, and if they don't say anything, you don't know who has what or maybe even what's gone without a lot of thinking, if your collection's big enough.[/quote]

that's how my original PS 1 Silent Hill disappeared and never came back :x

I apologize, my last post was nasty. I read that when it posted and thought why don’t you stop and read your posts before pressing the launch button

Let me translate that last post again:

I thought I was buying too many games. Thanks for allowing me to rationalize my concerns away

I will also add that my favorite deals so far have been:

Wario World $10.00
Billy Hatcher $19.00

I probably have a mild addiction, but then I now have 31 Xbox games for the price of less than 6 full priced games. And of that crop probably 3 or so are stinkers that I'll never really play much (and all of those were less than $5-$6) [Freaky Flyers, Quantum Redshift, Turok: Evolution - though I still hold out hope that I may one day play through Turok, as it stands I got a good 5 or 6 hours out of it so far.]

I've actually decided my goal is to get to 50 Xbox games. At this rate I'll be there by Summer. (I think I'm averaging two games a week...)

[quote name='deacon']I will also add that my favorite deals so far have been:

Wario World $10.00
Billy Hatcher $19.00[/quote]

This would be a great idea for a new thread. My faves (that I wouldn't have found without this site):

JSRF/SegaGT 2002 combo $6.75
Genma Onimusha $6.00

And of course the ultimate is the BB GGC. I would have never known about that $5 coupon if not for this site. I'll also add the Best Buy $5 Platinum Hit glitch. I didn't get any of the games, but they gave me a 10% coupon when they cancelled my order which I used to get a sweet Xbox bundle (Fuzion Frenzy + GTA double pack) for $180.

i have way too many games, I will probably get a xbox and ps2, but later, I am collecting for the N64, NES, SNES, genesis, dreamcast, psone. I have stacks of PSone, NES and SNES sitting in the closet in large cardboard boxes, many good ones too, but a lot of it is from thrift shops, I will try them to make sure they work then they go into the closet, or onto the shelf if i thinki will play it again soon.

I have stacks and stacks and stacks, it is an addiction, definitely

500+ games spanning my ps2, ps1, xbox, gc, dc and gba. 100+ pc games. I know, it's ridiculous. I will never finish them all, but they have all been played at least once. I rarely spend more than $15 for a game, but we are still talking a huge chunk of cash. I take a 10 min break every hour when playing to avoid carpal tunnel. I don't drink or smoke, so I suppose this is my vice.

this site has lead to more of a shopping addiction than buying addiction. Sometimes I feel I spend more time scouting for cheapass deals on my modest, but picky want list than actually playing the games I do own. Yeah, being cheap is cool.

I've only been here for a short time and have been able to control myself thus far.

I do however find myself coming here almost daily now and do not know how long I'll be able to maintain my abstenance from purchasing.

What's really crazy though is that some of the deals I see for games on CAG cost less than what I could get for the game on a trade in. You could actually make a profit by buying games you don't want and trading them in for games that you do. :shock:

Well....feel free to check out my collection in my sig. 200 games? meh 400 games? meh.....try about 1800 games., more if you include all that's not listed.

Anyways, it's times like this I'm happy I got blacklisted from ebgames.com....it sure cuts my spending down!

OMG YES!

I find that lately I am paying more attentin to finding game deals than playing the games I bought.

I just got a game and I have no desire to play it.

There should be a warning on this site or something!

bread's done
Back