Borderlands - Gen. Discussion & Info - OUT NOW (8.0 GS, 8.8 IGN, 88 Metacritic)

MillerTime2523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
119 (99%)
border%20logo%20111.jpg

• Developed by Gearbox Software; Published by 2k Games
  • Releasing on October 20th for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360
  • First Person Shooter with RPG elements
  • Four Player drop in drop out co-op, online and offline
  • Near endless variety of ways to customize character and weapons
  • Open ended world
  • 160 Quests (30 Main, 130 Side)
  • Over 500,000 Weapons to choose from
  • Customizable vehicles
Official Website | IGN Page

REVIEWS
Metacritic - Currently at 88. Scores mostly range from high 90's to low to mid 80s.
Gamespot - 8.0 (360 Version = 8.5)
IGN - 8.8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdBFWti6mkg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HhRTbQ6XkA

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really digging the graphics. Before it was realistic-ish looking but we already have enough of those right now.

i really like the cell animation and the 4 player co-op looks nasty. quite frankly this game has shot to my #2 must have game of the fall:

1. uncharted 2
2. borderlands
3. ratchet & clank cit
4. codmw2
5. assassin's creed 2

Same for me minus ratchet and AC and plus tekken 6. I'm hoping for B2G1 to get this, T6 and uncharted 2, then codmw2 for Christmas. That would be awesome but I won't get my hopes too high.

I'm feeling this game is going to be like a full fledged R2 online coop, which I absolutely loved. I'm really hoping this won't disappoint.

I really can't wait for the game.
But it's not a Day 1 buy for me.

-because I have to make sure the FPS is playable.
-Know there's forever lasting appeal and replayability
-good storyling

One question: have we seen anything on the PS3 version?

Every preview I've seen has been either 360 or PC. I can't seem to dig up any PS3 info on borderlands, google/bing just comes up with the same stuff over and over again.

Does this bother anyone else?

Im really excited about this game. I'm probably going to use my Brutal Legend $10 credit on it, as long as Amazon adds some sort or preorder bonus to it.

I love the graphic/art style, and Im a sucker for couch co-op gaming.

Really undecided about this game. I love the graphics and setting (still love Fallout 3), but I can't decide on gameplay and a lot of the intangibles (intangible without playing, like fun factor). I'm hoping the review scores are great and push me to grab it. Really saddened that they chose to not release a pre-release demo.

I remember reading about this in Game Informer a loooong time ago. It looked very exciting then but, so did a lot of other games. Maybe I'm the only one who got super hyped before I bought a next gen system and then when the games actually came out, I was extremely disappointed. I hope to be proven wrong.

Anyone else picking this up tomorrow on PS3? I'd love to get some co-op going.

Also, you can check out the skills and make builds if you want here:
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/

Replace "mordecai" in the link with Brick, Lilith, or Roland to get to the other characters.

Here's a mordecai build that focuses mainly on the Sniper Rifle. Start with a critical headshot that penetrates shields, get a quick kill then get huge damage boosts for the next shot, and pistol upgrades for close combat. No focus on the pet

Really excited to play this tomorrow, going to spend TRU trade in credit on it.

[quote name='dphizz']u guys seen any deals for this game?[/QUOTE]

Nah, havent seen anything unless you are interested in the PC version. Theres a 4 game bundle for $33 or something around there that you can split with 3 others.

It's a bummer Amazon didn't have a $10 credit

[quote name='Thomas96']I wonder if this or fallout 3 is better?[/QUOTE]

They are vastly different kinds of games with similar settings imo.

Fallout is heavy on RPG elements (deeper character customization, slow combat, etc) while Borderlands is infinitely more FPS-like. Really shouldn't be compared.

For the record, probably Fallout 3 :p But Borderlands will be badass!

Anyone had any play time with this? I am still on the fence... I like most everything I have seen. Just need some hands on impressions from gamers!

I don't like how I can't fully immerse myself in this game.. I can shoot enemies, but I can't shoot items on the ground, items on tables, dead bodies, etc.. I think that's why I liked Fallout so much, it actually felt like a living, breathing world. Well, I use the term "living" loosely, but still. I can't fully immerse myself.

Even so, it's cool. It's just like an FPS but with leveling up. Think of Fallout 3 minus the VATS system.. kinda plays like that.

I ended up getting this for the 360, to play with my brother and read on the gearbox forums that there are lots of issues with the PS3 version.

If you've ever played WoW, or any recent MMO, you'll immediately feel right at home. I absolutely love the game so far, I've played probably 3 hours total and have already used 30 or more different guns. Just played my first co-op game with two others and it is an absolute blast. While there are stats to worry about on your guns and you are doing quests, it really is an FPS at heart, and it's a really fun one at that.

[quote name='Jodou']Glad I'm picking mine up for the PC; it seems the PS3 version has completely broken co-op among other issues.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Hopefully they patch this soon. It will be awhile before i potentially grab it, now I have to be on the look out for info that they have fixed it.

yeah, me too. i was thinking about using one of my TRU placeholders for this today, since a good friend will no doubt want to play this all the time (he only has ps3)

Well that makes it a harder decision. I would rather play it on the PS3 but seems the PC version may actually work for co-op. Any word from the developer about a fix for the co-op issues on the PS3?

WORD ON IT! YES! Haha...

"Believe it or not, the friends feature was heavily tested by Gearbox and 2K," Velasquez writes. "However, this particular issue we found could have never manifested itself in our or 2K's test environments."

"We'll find out very soon if the issue exists for the PS3 International versions of the Borderlands. If it does, we'll hopefully have a fix implemented before it affects those customers," he says. "We are doing everything we can to get this problem addressed as quickly as possible."

Velasquez addresses the timing of that fix later in the thread, saying "The only thing I can say is that we're exploring all options of getting the fix out ASAP!"

http://kotaku.com/5386810/ps3-version-of-borderlands-has-co+op-issues-gearbox-promises-fix

I played single player for around 2-3 hours and didn't notice any issues.

randy and I played coop for around 3-4 hours last night.
He invited me and I assume he didn't have any issues doing that.
The only issue I experienced was what seemed like VOIP sensitivity issues.
randy was having some sound stuttering and his game did freeze once.
Other than that, neither of us experienced any lag nor any other problems.

I didn't try joining a public game but did look at my friends list and could see everyone (I guess... I didn't double check to make sure :lol:).

Damn, I just picked this up for the PS3 yesterday hoping that it would be a good multiplayer game.. I haven't had a chance to play it much yet, or see the issues for myself. Well hopefully the issues will get sorted out quickly! If anyone else has it and wants to try out the multiplayer look me up on the psn. My PSN ID is Decollo

Quickness...

"We are very pleased to report that using PSN friends lists with the game should now work properly for all PS3 customers. The fix has been released invisibly and should work automatically for all PSN users on the PS3 platform. No special action is required by PS3 customers to apply the fix - just play the game and you'll find that everything works fine now. We thank you all for your patience and for making us aware of the issue!"

I played splitscreen for the last couple of hours, and the only problem I experienced was that I was booted off the PSN about 1 1/2 hours in. Thing is, I get problem a lot with other games too, so I doubt it has anything to do with the game itself.
Anyway, I do like the game but find the constant enemy respawn a bit annoying. I went to do the blind cripple guy's mission (ol' whatshisface) and we had to run from the constant enemy spam. We were at only level 3-4, not skilled enough to just drop those dudes from a distance.

Fun game overall so far, well worth $40 Canadian. I like Claptrap. He's pretty funny, in an annoying way :bouncy:

Just spent nearly 9 hours playing (6 or so coop with randy) and no real issues. I did notice a little lag, but nothing really severe.

And yeah... enemy spawn can be a little annoying at times. They're not endless, but can seem like it. Just make sure you're not too far below the enemy or you're asking to get killed. :lol:

I played last night for a solid 4 hours. It's a lot of fun and the weapons do add some decent variety. I'm playing as the sniper, but I might try a different character cuz i'm not sure i'm a big fan of his skill tree. What characters have you guys tried?

What levels are you guys on?
My friend and I have been playing together but we wouldn't mind joining or hosting some games. I think we're both 17ish now. He's a soldier, I'm the hunter.

I've only seen Randy playing it and he was about 7 levels ahead of me last I checked.

Well, apparently you can't join unless your within 10 levels or something.
I wouldn't mind joining your game with a new character though, would be fun to play as another type.

[quote name='dallow']I've only seen Randy playing it and he was about 7 levels ahead of me last I checked.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, I'm at level 21 or 22. I've been playing with DD83/Mguiddy, and he's right around the same level.

[quote name='dallow']Well, apparently you can't join unless your within 10 levels or something.
I wouldn't mind joining your game with a new character though, would be fun to play as another type.[/QUOTE]

Actually my level 4 sniper got along just fine with DD & randy. Minus DD's driving at one point :cool:

I would recommend weak players join a stronger party since leveling up seems much faster

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Actually my level 4 sniper got along just fine with DD & randy.[/QUOTE]

If by "got along just fine" you mean "died every 4-6 minutes" (especially during that battle with the giant bat that was shitting fire on us) then, yes, you got along just fine. ;)

bread's done
Back