A Boy and his Blob - OUT NOW! - Buy it or you have no soul!

Don't forget if you preorder at Gamestop you get a Blob stress-reliever doll. .......

230725_bonusLG.jpg

I have fond memories of playing this game as a kid.

I really wish Amazon would get some of these pre-order bonuses, I really hate paying taxes at GameStop.

Probably was made in Paint.

I look forward to the game. Here's to hoping I have the ability to purchase it around release, but if not, oh well. Some point or another I guess.

Just a quick bump to remind everyone that it is only 11 days until the official ship date. Gamestop has it listed for 10/6, though I do not know whether this is an error or not. They're selling it for $39.99 with a pre-order bonus (Blob stress ball). Amazon has the official date, and they're selling it for $35.99 with no pre-order bonus.

Amazon
GameStop

Yeah, I saw somewhere else that it was supposed to come out next week rather than the following week. Either way, I'm excited.

I'd like to get this game, if it comes out on tuesday as gamestop lists. The following week both Brutal Legend and Uncharted 2 come out, so then boy and his blob will have to wait. Any word yet why gamestop has it listed for next week? Are they getting it early or is it a mistake?

That trailer is pure Disney.

I'm planning on picking it up. Hopefully it won't be as nerve-wracking as the original. I think this one tells you on screen what the jellybeans do.

Sooo maybe this is out tomorrow at gamestop. I'll give my local one a call tomorrow while i'm on lunch and see what they say

[quote name='botticus']Majesco should have commissioned a bigger Blob for the GS bonus. Not enough to sway me from Amazon discounts![/QUOTE]

Agreed

$30.xx > $39.99+tax

I could just order a white stress ball and draw the face myself.

They need to record better next time. The frame skipping is not a good way to promote your game. Unless that's the actual in game camera, then we have an issue here.

Oh wow I didn't realize this was coming out so soon. Definitely going to try to pick this up during the TRU sale next week.

Love the art style on this or really anything that looks like the hand-drawn style you might find in stuff like Odin Sphere.

Tempted to either get this Gold Box + ECA for ~$30 or just pre-order at GameStop and get a potentially cool little blob stress doll to go with my Little King's Story stress doll.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']FYI, I didn't notice it until today, but Amazon has release date delivery on this.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely new. I changed my order accordingly. :bouncy:

Just grabbed it, used $10 GC Reward Zone coupon which worked flawlessly. Interesting to see that it supports the Classic Controller, somehow I overlooked this in all the coverage, unless nobody really mentioned it...

the location I went to didn't even have a shelf tag for it and only 5 copies. But Brutal Legend was everywhere...

[quote name='token2k6']But Brutal Legend was everywhere...[/QUOTE]

They are going to release A Boy and his Blob for the 360, but with an M rating and blob decapitation.

Seriously though... I'm anxious to hear your and other's impressions!

[quote name='icedrake523']IGN gave it a 7.6. I find their reviews to be a bit more positive than other sites so it's a bit of a concern to me.[/QUOTE]
From what I skimmed, it was a pretty positive 7.6.

Even with a flight delay today, UPS managed to get it to me on time. Probably won't get to it for a couple days, but looking forward to it.

[quote name='crunchewy']They are going to release A Boy and his Blob for the 360, but with an M rating and blob decapitation.

Seriously though... I'm anxious to hear your and other's impressions![/QUOTE]

LOL! Yeah seriously! I just basically meant it was depressing to not see this game get the attention it deserves, I know it will be overshadowed by Brutal Legend and Uncharted, but to see those standees loaded with copies of those games and shelves overflowing, while A Boy and His Blob probably just arrived off the truck...

I'll post back here what I think. It's so interesting to see this come full circle. I remember playing it as a kid, and hopefully in the next couple of years my son will be into this and will fuck and torture his mind just like the first did to me :lol: however, i'm sure this version won't be as difficult to understand wtf to do..

Well, got into the first 3 levels tonight and this game was amazing! From the chiptune-esque music, to the cut-up frame-by-frame cut-scenes, reminiscent of Pokemon cartoons, this game delivers on all fronts, included a much-needed trip down memory lane.

Starting off, using the classic controller is so much more simple than the wii-mote and nunchuck. All buttons are even duplicated do the relatively easy controls. fuck that Matt Cassiminessaisaassaa guy from IGN complaining that choosing a jelly bean becomes a chore. What else did he expect? a controller to have 15 buttons dedicated to each type of jelly bean? I was switching back and forth b/t jelly beans with ease. I was a bit worried by the 'set up the arch and throw' mechanic for releasing the jelly bean, and while wildly out of control when you first swing the stick, you can take the time to fine tune it, and shorten your throw distance to pin-point accuracy. The only problem comes in with jumping, as the boy can't jump high on his own, so navigating without the blob at first will take a while, its only one level though.

If I remember correctly, in the original, if the blob went off screen, you were basically fuck-ed. Well, this happens a lot in this version, the blob simply won't be able to make some jumps after using the trampoline, so three calls and no matter what, he transforms into the berry balloon and comes straight to you. This works very well for the most part. The first few levels are pretty easy to navigate and collect all the treasures. If these do not get super difficult to a point where you can't pass a level (afterall, this doesn't have kind code!), then this game will be a very fun run through. Gaining the treasure's does little but decorate your tree-house with random junk. Each level has 3 chests which are kept track of on the over-world map to indicate how man you've found. Supposedly there are treasures that unlock bonus challenges or something.

Everything about this game is great from the level design, the animation, the lighting effects, and even personality. It reminds me a lot of Braid, with the whimsical elevator music in the background and wonderful artistic design; just the characters are way more interesting to see move fluidly, rather than Braid's stiff actions. Yeah, the load screens are plentiful, but they're 5 seconds at best. This game also doesn't make your Wii hard drive make crazy, non stop noises like when playing the Conduit or HotD:Overkill.

I recommend this game at full price if you were a fan of the original, or even if you've never played it, just to experience a good 'ol 2D romp in a stellar game, and to support the little people for keeping a dream alive and having the guts to do something different and 'new' instead of the same old thing...

Ok, now I know that the problem wasn't the videos from earlier. Looks like every video on the gametrailers site is lagging for me (but of course advertisement videos don't nor do other sites). Time to find out what the problem is. :wall:

I always have trouble with gametrailera. Sometimes only sound will play or the video will think it's 4 times as large and only show the corner of the video.

[quote name='botticus']From what I skimmed, it was a pretty positive 7.6.

Even with a flight delay today, UPS managed to get it to me on time. Probably won't get to it for a couple days, but looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]

Most of the complaints were nitpicky like the loading time (I can't imagine it being long enough to be bothersome) and the bean throwing.

The GT review reassured me since I like their reviews the most. I agree with them a lot of the time and they are critical but not damning.

I finally had some time to pick up and play this today. The Gametrailers review seems the most spot on based on my experience, and gives it pretty much the exact score I would expect. It has some glaring issues (i.e. lack of d-pad support), but is still an solid platformer.

This game is unbelievably adorable, and reminds me of Braid in a sad-but-endearing sort of way. Beautiful art, music, animation.

Can't wait to play it some more.

I'm thinking of picking this up for my youngest who's turning 7 next month. Is this game going to play well for a kid of that age? He's not an uber gamer by any means. Of course I'd also play it. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm thinking of picking this up for my youngest who's turning 7 next month. Is this game going to play well for a kid of that age? He's not an uber gamer by any means. Of course I'd also play it. :)[/QUOTE]

yeah, i don't see why not, my 3-1/2 year old so far has the move left and right down and how to hug the blob :lol: the game is very forgiving, like if you die, you start almost immediately where you were (with the occasional get further in the level or past a difficult platform spot by dying glitch) Like I've said, using the classic controller might make it easier for your kid, and once they get the hang of the bean select wheel, there's little else that could go wrong with it (just know the boys jumping limitation, which isn't that far). And like some review I read (Kotaku maybe) the game is always giving you subtle hints as to what bean you should use in certain areas by posting it on a wooden sign and seems to do this no matter how far along you are.

I'm having a lot of fun wuth this game. I agree that the control scheme is a little strange at first, but once you get the hang of it it becomes pretty natural.

I've only managed to play about 7-8 levels (I'm saving all the extra content until the end). The good thing is that I can sit down and do 2-3 levels in a 15 minute setting and just walk away. In other words, this game is good for small doses at a time. (Although I'm sure I would play for much longer if I had the time).

EDIT: Oh, one thing that irks me is the over-use of save points. I mean, they can be great a times, but what if you miss a platform (and a treasure chest) and then die? The game takes you beyond the original spot and you have no way of getting back (without a trampoline, at least, but that's not always available) to the bleepin' treasure unless you play the whole level over again. Of course, the game is so damn pretty you don't mind playing the same level twice. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm thinking of picking this up for my youngest who's turning 7 next month. Is this game going to play well for a kid of that age? He's not an uber gamer by any means. Of course I'd also play it. :)[/QUOTE]

Should be great for him. He'll have a blast.

bread's done
Back