* - - - - 2 votes

Rock Band Stage Kit @ Game Stop $39.99

#91 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4426 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

Can somebody confirm if this does have limited compatibility with the PS3 or no compatibility period? After all hardware-wise the way the kit plugs into the Xbox360 is via USB, and PS3 certainly does have USB ports as well. There's 3 available for in-store pickup in my area BTW at the moment. :D

I'd say it's not worth the risk. I doubt it would work since the LED light kit is an Xbox controller. It's made specifically for xbox 360, there's a heating unit for the fog, and 2 other light functions...Even though your PS3 has USB ports, the powersupply might not like it. you could essentially burn out or overheat your console. Heck, some intercooler fans have been known to overheat consoles they were designed for. (irony)

#92 zenintrude   habitual line stepper CAGiversary!   2298 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

zenintrude

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

I would absolutely get this if it worked w/ the PS3. I guess Harmonix doesn't like PS3 owners $$?

No, it's not financially viable for PDP (the makers of the Stage Kit)... here's the economics for you:

Of the Xbox 360 Rock Band owners (of which there are way more than PS3 Rock Band owners), there still weren't enough interested in the Stage Kit to support it at its initial $100 price point. Even at $50, it was not selling well.

So, why is there no PS3 Stage Kit?

Well, there might have been plans... after all, RB1 songs have Stage Kit support and the Kit was not released until Rock Band 2 had been out for some time, so clearly this accessory was planned since the beginning. That said, it is likely that PS3 songs (at least the first bunches of batches) had the Stage Kit light show coding included with them. However, once the sell through numbers (360 vs. PS3) started to take shape, it's clear that offering the Stage Kit to PS3 owners is even less financially viable than offering it to 360 players.

It works like this.... lets assume that 5% of Rock Band owners would be interested in the Stage Kit (which is probably way higher than is expected... I'd venture the actual expectations were way less than 1%.) For the 360, RB1/RB2 has sold 3.55 million copies, which PS3 RB1/RB2 has seen 1.54 million copies sold.

At 5%,

360 would have sold 177,500 units at $100, equaling 17.75 million in revenue
PS3 would have sold 77,000 units at $100, equaling 7.7 million in revenue

But, as I've said before, 5% is a ridiculous number, as would be 1%. So, take into the fact R&D, licensing, paying someone to program the light shows for every DLC song (yes, this is a continuing cost), plus the manufacturing of the unit... it only makes sense to go with the system that will guarantee the best return on investment.

I mean, just look how warily Harmonix supported the Wii with RB1 to begin with, essentially releasing the PS2 version only after the Wii had proven to be a true contender (as far as market share).

#93 argyle   Mr. Lucky CAGiversary!   6373 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:07 PM

No, it's not financially viable for PDP (the makers of the Stage Kit)... here's the economics for you:

Of the Xbox 360 Rock Band owners (of which there are way more than PS3 Rock Band owners), there still weren't enough interested in the Stage Kit to support it at its initial $100 price point. Even at $50, it was not selling well.

So, why is there no PS3 Stage Kit?

Well, there might have been plans... after all, RB1 songs have Stage Kit support and the Kit was not released until Rock Band 2 had been out for some time, so clearly this accessory was planned since the beginning. That said, it is likely that PS3 songs (at least the first bunches of batches) had the Stage Kit light show coding included with them. However, once the sell through numbers (360 vs. PS3) started to take shape, it's clear that offering the Stage Kit to PS3 owners is even less financially viable than offering it to 360 players.

It works like this.... lets assume that 5% of Rock Band owners would be interested in the Stage Kit (which is probably way higher than is expected... I'd venture the actual expectations were way less than 1%.) For the 360, RB1/RB2 has sold 3.55 million copies, which PS3 RB1/RB2 has seen 1.54 million copies sold.

At 5%,

360 would have sold 177,500 units at $100, equaling 17.75 million in revenue
PS3 would have sold 77,000 units at $100, equaling 7.7 million in revenue

But, as I've said before, 5% is a ridiculous number, as would be 1%. So, take into the fact R&D, licensing, paying someone to program the light shows for every DLC song (yes, this is a continuing cost), plus the manufacturing of the unit... it only makes sense to go with the system that will guarantee the best return on investment.

I mean, just look how warily Harmonix supported the Wii with RB1 to begin with, essentially releasing the PS2 version only after the Wii had proven to be a true contender (as far as market share).

But that's ignoring the fact that the hardware already exists, and connects w/ a USB plug. And since you've confirmed that at least some PS3 RB songs have support for it, that leaves out one missing piece - a driver. And doing that would open up the market wider for a device that already exists & is on store shelves now. It's not like they'd have to make a PS3-specific piece of hardware.

It's no major loss to me either way tho. Fact is I have a PS3 and 360, but wouldn't dream of buying a RB game for my 360 because I refuse to play into Microsoft's "space bucks" scam. I'll buy my dlc songs w/ actual money, and that is well worth not having a fog machine imo.

#94 zenintrude   habitual line stepper CAGiversary!   2298 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

zenintrude

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

But that's ignoring the fact that the hardware already exists, and connects w/ a USB plug. And since you've confirmed that at least some PS3 RB songs have support for it, that leaves out one missing piece - a driver. And doing that would open up the market wider for a device that already exists & is on store shelves now. It's not like they'd have to make a PS3-specific piece of hardware.

It's no major loss to me either way tho. Fact is I have a PS3 and 360, but wouldn't dream of buying a RB game for my 360 because I refuse to play into Microsoft's "space bucks" scam. I'll buy my dlc songs w/ actual money, and that is well worth not having a fog machine imo.

Yea, as an owner of both, I too understand your choice... actually, if I'd owned a PS3 when RB1 was released, I would have probably bought it for that.

The problem with the "driver" is that it's not just a USB issue, but a licensing and hardware one (I believe, and I'm no electrical engineer by any stretch.) First, getting an item licensed for use on a system costs a lot of money... clearly PDP is not interested in doing this. Also, the Kit connects (yes, via USB) to the system, but through a 360-designed controller/light emitter. I believe this is the biggest hurdle... the guts of the thing are simply designed to work with the 360 and nothing else (though I could see it being hacked for use with Windows, for obvious reasons.)

As for the "space bucks scam," I actually like the system... I've yet to buy any points at a 1:1 ratio, and usually get my points for 2/3 or 1/2 the price they would retail for. That's the benefit of space bucks vs. true currency: space bucks can go on sale.

#95 whitlecj   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

I just picked one of these up over the weekend. How do most of you guys position the lights for optimal effect?

#96 JokerCard   Go,go Gadget Cheapskates! CAGiversary!   1741 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

JokerCard

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

Im wondering if I should pick this up...I love RB so I might just go ahead and splurge to up my experience..

#97 zenintrude   habitual line stepper CAGiversary!   2298 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

zenintrude

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

I just picked one of these up over the weekend. How do most of you guys position the lights for optimal effect?

With the fog off... the best for me has been to have the strobe about head level to the drummer when he is sitting down, on his left. Then, I put the light module on top of the strobe, facing the wall at about a 70 degree angle, with the lens pushed all the way into the module. What you get is good strobe directed at you, plus nice blurry/trippy colors on your wall.

With the fog on, I have the strobe lower (because fog in the face sucks), with the lights angled at about 45 degrees, so some are on the wall and some are on the ceiling. The lens should be pulled out about half way, so you can see the light beams pretty well defined, but still have slightly undefined blobs on the wall. As the fog gets thicker, pull the lens further from the module.

#98 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4426 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:29 PM

I hid mine behind the tv, due to the uneven lenghts of cables between the controller, the connector to the fog machine, and the power cord it was an eye sore...and as cool as strobe is...it's rather distracting when it really goes off and pointed anyone playing. the LEDs are aimed up at the ceiling, and I just turn off the lights and close the blinds. (the flat screen is on a tv stand, not mounted on a wall. I haven't used the fog yet either)

#99 zenintrude   habitual line stepper CAGiversary!   2298 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

zenintrude

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:27 PM

I'm actually thinking of buying some USB and PS/2 (the interface, not the console) extensions so that I can have the fog/strobe behind the band, and the lights in front of the band... I'll let you know how it goes when I get the cords and/or if this thread is still open.

#100 AssaultSuit   AKA AssaultSuit CAGiversary!   911 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

AssaultSuit

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

I picked one of these up from GS tuesday. The guy at the store was trying to tell me it would still be there for a long time if I didn't buy it because nobody wanted them. Meh, whatever. But after watching that video I'm a little nervous about using the fog. I haven't even opened the box up yet, but is there a way to tone the fog down without turning it off altogether?

MjC

#101 Vader582   Dark Lord of Savings CAGiversary!   3048 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

I think this sums it up pretty well...
(Just ignore the old price)

:lol: Excellent video! Nice to see someone actually edit their stuff.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but FYI, during my search for X Blades @ BB, I noticed several BBs had dropped the price on the Stage Kit to $50. Perhaps that's useful info. for those having a difficult time locating one of these at a GS?

#102 VoltronGuy   Activate interlocks! CAGiversary!   86 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:08 PM

But after watching that video I'm a little nervous about using the fog. I haven't even opened the box up yet, but is there a way to tone the fog down without turning it off altogether?
MjC

Mix the fog juice with distilled water. The less you want the fog to be, the higher the percentage of water.

Try 60/40 (water / fog juice) and see how that is. Alternatively, you can buy Froggy's fast dissipating fog juice.

http://www.froggysfo..._Fog_Fluid.html

#103 zenintrude   habitual line stepper CAGiversary!   2298 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

zenintrude

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

Mix the fog juice with distilled water. The less you want the fog to be, the higher the percentage of water.

Try 60/40 (water / fog juice) and see how that is.

Niiiiiiice... will try this later.

#104 BustaUppa   what it is right now CAGiversary!   4998 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:19 PM

Stupid question but what's a good source for distilled water? Would like any supermarket have it? I assume it's something more specialized than typical bottled water.

#105 frushie   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, any supermarket will have distilled water.

Edited by frushie, 17 September 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#106 neiname   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   526 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this, I was contemplating it at $39.99 but when I say the tag at $29.99 I immediately picked it up. What price was the cymbal expansion originally, $29.99?

#107 BustaUppa   what it is right now CAGiversary!   4998 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:24 AM

Actually had trouble finding distilled water today. I saw tons of "spring" water and vitamin water and Aquafina and stuff like that, but nothing that was marked "distilled." Any leads?

#108 gsr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   856 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:25 AM

any grocery store/super walmart/super target should have gallon jugs of water..they usually carry two kinds -

1. Spring water
2. Distilled water

#109 loserboy   The Cubs STILL suck! CAGiversary!   1098 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:34 AM

Actually had trouble finding distilled water today. I saw tons of "spring" water and vitamin water and Aquafina and stuff like that, but nothing that was marked "distilled." Any leads?

You obviously have never had a newborn. Distilled water (if you can't find it anywhere else) is often near the baby stuff.

#110 MarkHawk   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   317 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:39 AM

Just picked up mine tonight. 21.00 Bucks after my gift card.

You can buy it here: http://www.gamestop....l&Ntt=stage kit

#111 Coyotezeye  

Coyotezeye

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

Just picked up mine tonight. 21.00 Bucks after my gift card.

You can buy it here: http://www.gamestop....l&Ntt=stage kit

Any code for free shipping? $20 Shipping kills it

#112 zenintrude   habitual line stepper CAGiversary!   2298 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

zenintrude

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

You obviously have never had a newborn. Distilled water (if you can't find it anywhere else) is often near the baby stuff.

Or near the laundry stuff... you use distilled water for steam in an iron.

Any code for free shipping? $20 Shipping kills it

Do a store locator search... most stores have at least one and are happy to get rid of them.

#113 token2k6   LG FUAD CAGiversary!   4507 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

I might bite on this just b/c Rock Band is that one game that brings everyone together (too bad no love for TB:RB!!)

My two questions are: does this work w/ any track pack discs? (I've just seen confirmed RB 1 & 2) and $20 for fog refill?? surely someone has to be on to a cheaper source or make your own...Would hate to run out of fog and be to cheap to buy more when that is 1/2 of what the Stage Kit does.

#114 zenintrude   habitual line stepper CAGiversary!   2298 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

zenintrude

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

My two questions are: does this work w/ any track pack discs? (I've just seen confirmed RB 1 & 2) and $20 for fog refill?? surely someone has to be on to a cheaper source or make your own...Would hate to run out of fog and be to cheap to buy more when that is 1/2 of what the Stage Kit does.

The discs themselves, I have no idea, but I would assume they would work since the code is in the song, not the game. If you import the songs into RB1 or RB2, they most definitely do.

And you can order the fog directly from PDP.com ... if you only order one gallon, it's basically the same price, since shipping on one is $10~ and the fog itself costs $10~, but if you buy in bulk, you will save cash.

#115 BustaUppa   what it is right now CAGiversary!   4998 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

any grocery store/super walmart/super target should have gallon jugs of water..they usually carry two kinds -

1. Spring water
2. Distilled water

Or near the laundry stuff... you use distilled water for steam in an iron.

ahaaaa, thanks!

#116 Coyotezeye  

Coyotezeye

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

Do a store locator search... most stores have at least one and are happy to get rid of them.

Yeah but I got some money sitting in my paypal account the wife doesnt know about ;)

Would be nice if I could get BB to price match since I have $50 in gift cards. Anyone know what BB's Price match policy is? Will they PM a Online / Instore price without a actual ad. Obviously I could just print this out but not sure if thats enough.

#117 neiname   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   526 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

With all the halloween stores popping there should be some deals on fog juice.

#118 Coyotezeye  

Coyotezeye

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

K dumb question.. just picked this up today. Hooked it up, But its not working??? Do you have to have a singer to use it? I was going to play by myself on guitar but the kit isnt working. when I turn the system on the lights light up for a min. But its not working in game :(

#119 BustaUppa   what it is right now CAGiversary!   4998 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

K dumb question.. just picked this up today. Hooked it up, But its not working??? Do you have to have a singer to use it? I was going to play by myself on guitar but the kit isnt working. when I turn the system on the lights light up for a min. But its not working in game :(

You don't need an active singer, but the "controller" has to be hooked up to the 360. Make sure all of the following are true:

- main power is plugged in
- switch(es) on back of fog machine turned on
- PS2-style wire is connecting fog machine to the controller/light array
- controller/light array is plugged into 360's USB slot (taking up a spot on the ring of light)

#120 Coyotezeye  

Coyotezeye

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the help Busta.

Here is what I did.. I followed the quick setup guide.
I filled the fog machine.
Connected the PS2 style cable from fog machine to light array
turned on both switches
waited for green light
plugged array usb into 360 open USB port (when I did this the fog machine spits a bit of smoke out & the strobe flickered) is it supposed to do that?
Turned on 360.. when I do that the light array lights up for a min as it boots.
I then go the disk from the dashboard
Then nothing... The Array is taking a port up I can see that. But I am getting nothing :(

Any idea? And is it supposed to flicker when you connect the array to the 360 via the usb? But its strange the array lights up when i boot the 360 so I assume its connected right