CAGcast #172: A Diabolical Unboxing

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Cheapy and Wombat both finish Beatles: Rock Band, talk game shopping and industry news, new releases, your CAGbag questions and so much more! No, really...there is a lot more. Some of it even involves video games.

[podcast]81[/podcast]
Download - 95 minutes, 40MB

Review us on iTunes![/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photo:

Bonus Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XURRzofbMc0

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy - thanks for the link to the theme song by Randall82. Is there any chance to download the version w/ the Kayne Impersonator?

Downloaded it, won't be able to listen to it til tomorrow afternoon at work :whistle2:/ Got school in the morning so I can't listen to it then :(

i fear the day when digital distribution is the norm (such as onlive). i love having a physical copy of the games and such.

Cheapy - I was thinking the same thing about the Beatles Rock Band bundle. At first I figured with the $250 price tag it must also include a regular guitar (in addition to Paul's bass). When I found out that it didn't I thought, well, then it must have some exclusive DLC or a code like you suggested for some of the upcoming DLC. But no...

Instead, we get the mic stand (which I haven't even unwrapped yet) and what else? Oh yeah, some post cards... :lol:

My son wants me to get the other two $100 guitars and I told him no way. If they get dirt cheap like just about every other GH/RB peripheral then sure, I'll get them (they do look very nice). But after spending $250 on the bundle and getting more instruments we didn't even need (already had GHWT and RB2 drums and plenty of guitars) I've had enough.

And yet, I will be buying pretty much all the DLC ;). At least I have cheap MS points thanks to CAG.

I also noticed the slowdown on the Katamari demo and was pretty disappointed. Still, though, I have it preordered at Amazon. It is $49.99 MSRP though Amazon has it for $46.99. After getting it as a gold box quick pick and tacking on ECA I ended up paying $39.94. (And then I used a $30 code from the trade-in promotion and really got it for just $10). Probably without those discounts I may have waited. But I am looking forward to getting back into Katamari. It's been a few years since the 360 one came out and I have that Katamari craving again.

I loved this show, though i did get a little puzzled about the IKEA bit. Being a Swede, and an experienced IKEA furniture assembler, i find putting those things together take between 1h-15min depending on size and amount of pieces, i guess we Swedes just have that shit built into our genes :cool:

[quote name='Swoxx']I loved this show, though i did get a little puzzled about the IKEA bit. Being a Swede, and an experienced IKEA furniture assembler, i find putting those things together take between 1h-15min depending on size and amount of pieces, i guess we Swedes just have that shit built into our genes :cool:[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but Wombat nailed that one. I love IKEA stuff (and in fact am probably getting a TV stand there myself soon) but they are notorious for being a pain in the ass to build. I'm always sore for days after putting one of their larger furniture pieces together. (Though I have to say it was a bit excessive that it took Wombat ALL day to do it ;)).

before I listen to the rest of the show.. .just want to say... that intro song is awesome! espesically the jackass mix in.

If you guys want to use your Zune HD on the mac, you can do it if you have bootcamp and/or a virtualization software called parallel desktop installed.
Parallel desktop lets you run windows software on your intel-based imacs.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/852627/use_your_zune_on_a_mac/

As far a the ''fake glitch" in Batman, Metal Gear Solid 2 did something similar where the system went all haywire towards the ends of the game.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat.

I know this comment is about 2 podcasts old but I felt compelled to post it in order to bust Wombat's balls. In Cagcast 170 (I think) Wombat refers to the "God awful Iron Man game", however as many Cagcast listeners will remember, about two months ago Cheapy had to practically beg Wombat to stop raving about his $7 Iron Man game.

Granted Wombat was making the point that for $7 bucks it was a good game but the reality is that a game cannot be "God awful" and really good no matter what the cost is. Back me up on this one Cheapy!

Amazing CAGcast as always guys! Wombat seemed a little pissy in the beginning but it happens. Anyway, I wanted to say that I hope Mrs. Wombat's voice sounds hot on next weeks show so I can touch myself when she talks about her "diabolical box". Get the tissues ready!

You guys forgot a important release: Scribblenauts bitches!

Also Wombat thanks for having me never go to Gamefly. I'm in CT and I'm not gonna wait even longer for games, unless my wife gets laid off and I'm supporting a family on a $13 an hour job lol.

While listening to the show I went to Wombat's site and searched "Wombat"

lulze.jpg

[quote name='Monsta Mack']You guys forgot a important release: Scribblenauts bitches!
[/QUOTE]

No, I'm pretty sure they mentioned it. Cheapy said something about how all the reviews were saying the controls were bad.

[quote name='SuxoR']While listening to the show I went to Wombat's site and searched "Wombat"

lulze.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, too bad thats not me, I'm not that tall, old or skinny.

Great podcast this week guys. Will you be getting Guitar hero 5 as well as Rock Band: Beatles?

Wasn't expecting my comment to be read out haha.. I understand why you were talking about it though (Howard stern appearance).

Loved the intro music this week! Haven't finished listening.. got another 30 mins left... but very good ! :D

I agree with you about guitar hero/rock band specials having limited songs... I have Guitar Hero: Aerosmith & seriously.... 20 of the songs are Aerosmith... the rest arent!

[quote name='Wombat']Ha ha, too bad thats not me, I'm not that tall, old or skinny.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap - I match that profile exactly. Except I don't go by the nickname of wombat, I don't live in Ohio, I have more hair on top (and less on the face), I look younger, I'm better looking, and, oh yeah, I'm not gay ;). But otherwise, that dude is my TWIN!

Blu-Rays are too expensive? Where have you guys been shopping? I usually don't pay more than $20 which is also what most new 2 Disc DVD editions cost. Also there's been tons of cheap blu-rays on sale as of late for less than $15. Space can be an issue but don't say that blu-ray discs are too expensive.

Great show!

Cheapy, your comment of the insane price for the Beatles Rockband set is only made more apparent by the $140 price of "Beatles Rockband Special Value Bundle." This includes the game and all of the normal rockband instruments. For $40 more dollars you could buy the stand alone Rock Band 2 game and for $5 more dollars + the cost of a game rental, import all the songs from the original rockband.

So for the cost of the "special edition" , you could have Beatles Rockband (140), Rock Band 2 (40), and the songs from Rock Band 1 (10~) and $60 extra dollars.

That deal sounds so good, I think I might actually grab it as I dont have any of the rockband games or instruments!

Great show!

About Batman:Arkham Asylum,
I was at my friends house, and he was playing it on his PS3, and when the colored/static screen came up, I started making fun of how the PS3 had "hardware and graphics problems" like the 360.

After I'd had my fun, the cutscene where you play as the the Joker played, and I had no idea what to make of it. (by the time the fake retry screen appeared I understood)

When I came home and played though Batman on my 360, I was prepared for the color defects, and didn't worry about if I had gotten the E74 error. :lol:

[quote name='evil_twin']As far a the ''fake glitch" in Batman, Metal Gear Solid 2 did something similar where the system went all haywire towards the ends of the game.[/QUOTE]
As did Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Anyone remember when they pulled that trick in the Gremlins 2 movie? In theaters it looked like the film projector stuttered. In the VHS version that tracking went bonkers. Haven't checked to see what they did, if anything, for the DVD.

[quote name='CAG 79']Blu-Rays are too expensive? Where have you guys been shopping? I usually don't pay more than $20 which is also what most new 2 Disc DVD editions cost. Also there's been tons of cheap blu-rays on sale as of late for less than $15. Space can be an issue but don't say that blu-ray discs are too expensive.[/QUOTE]I think they're talking about typical new releases. Not sales or specials. And hey, can someone explain to me why Blu-ray movies come in 2-disc editions for the extras? Isn't the whole point that they have all this extra space on the disc.

I'm with Cheapy. Yes, side by side Blu-ray looks better but it's not vastly better than upscaled DVD. At least not to the point for me to buy new equipment and my movies all over again. You only really notice the difference when you have a very large 1080p television. Anything else and you're deluding youself.

[quote name='banodyne']I think they're talking about typical new releases. Not sales or specials. And hey, can someone explain to me why Blu-ray movies come in 2-disc editions for the extras? Isn't the whole point that they have all this extra space on the disc.[/QUOTE]

No the point of Blu-ray is that gives you the best possible picture and sound quality. Dedicate the full space to AQ/PQ of the feature film and move all supplementals to another disc not only allows for the best presenation but the public thinks they are getting a better value.

I can't believe there were more CAGs who weren't for you regarding the whole 299.99 thing. It's either 299.99 or 300. Those who say 99 cents is nothing, well I wonder just how many of them clip coupons just to save 20 cents on a box of cereal or something, or scouring the Internet for news for free cheap shit, or even those begging for a 48 hr Live card or some code. Money is money even if it is a few cents.

Another thing I realized is how cheapy is once again complaining about not getting a free code (for what, I forget). I really want to know what your reasoning for wanting one is. It can't really be because you are cheap and want something free; I mean you do spend without thinking twice for things and without really haviung to worry about your finical situation.

Come on Cheapy, tell CAG the real reason. It has to be the same reasons I mentioned (in a post most likely overlooked). You just want respect and recognition. You run a fairly successful business (relatively speaking). I think you just want the videogames industry to appreciate and know you more. It would be great if you did something like when Wombat covered that Advance Wars event at Nintendo World (he should also try to get more of those). Cheapy, you have to get more screen time and be in the public eye if you want your business to grow, especially if you plan on retiring by 40 :D.

anyway entertaing cast this time and not too many parts that just went on and on.

i need a japanese wife too for some unboxing lol

i know it's true we should have more songs on Beatles rock band, but i know a lot are coming in form of DLC so i'm not bitching about it as much as you

and Marvel UA2 is fun as hell

I actually just laughed out loud for the first time in a while while listening to a CAGcast. During Wombat's story about his deceased iPod, "Did you unbox her?" "Yeah, I unboxed her...with my Batarang."

Unbox seems like an unsavory act to me, maybe to unbox = hate fuck. I don't know just throwing that out there.

Thanks guys for another great show.

Y'know what? fuck CubeJam (or whatever his name is).

As an international listener, part of the now infamous "less than 1%", I would like to say that I loved the Stern clip and I enjoyed knowing that you two got such a great experience in return for the 170+ hours of free entertainment I've recieved from you guys over the last few years.

Pro-tip: Buy Rock Band and/or Guitar Hero on the PS3. Gamesharing works with music game tracks so you're only paying 1/5th the price. If you own a PS3, you made a mistake if you purchased it on 360.

[quote name='Hostile']Pro-tip: Buy Rock Band and/or Guitar Hero on the PS3. Gamesharing works with music game tracks so you're only paying 1/5th the price. If you own a PS3, you made a mistake if you purchased it on 360.[/QUOTE]Then the PS3 community wonders why they don't get the DLC support that that other platforms do.

[quote name='banodyne']Then the PS3 community wonders why they don't get the DLC support that that other platforms do.[/QUOTE]

No company has yet to complain about gamesharing and it's even more telling they don't block the gamesharing option when I believe they have the choice.

btw Wombat, some people managed to remove the Batarang from the base. they're actually playing with it, look out! lol. glad you got it. :)

edit: new Batman DLC came out. the infinite enemies are actually really hard with the insane dudes. i beat Cheapy's score easily. ;)

Great show guys.

Wanted to comment about Wombat's Gamefly experience. I live in a small town in Indiana (Valparaiso) and I am also assigned to the Pittsburgh distribution facility. I'm not particularly sure where exactly you are, but could you delay in timing be due to the Postal Service and not Gamefly itself? Surely if your mail gets redirected to a highly populated area's facility (example: New York), there's going to be a longer wait time. Wouldn't you think?

For the record, when I return a game it takes two days, then two to three days to get a game. I usually time out new releases and know if I want to get one shipped out the day they it will be released, I need to have a game back in the mail at least a week before it becomes available. Works 98% of the time.

bread's done
Back