[DEAD] Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for College Students $30

icedrake523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Click on the ::::Need to join your school's network domain? to get Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade.

thanks

fromthe t.o.a. hmmmmm bummer. I grad. 2 years ago

2. Individual must be a student at a U.S. educational institution and must be actively enrolled in at least 0.5 course credit and be able to provide proof of enrollment upon request

For those that do not know, the release is not until October 22nd, so this is just an extremely cheap pre-order. I am debating still if I really want to take the time to upgrade from Vista or just leave it as is, but with a $30 price point it is awfully tempting.

[quote name='BrolyB593']For those that do not know, the release is not until October 22nd, so this is just an extremely cheap pre-order. I am debating still if I really want to take the time to upgrade from Vista or just leave it as is, but with a $30 price point it is awfully tempting.[/QUOTE]
You have no idea what you are missing. I upgraded from vista with the beta and I will never ever go back. The low mem usage is well worth the price.

So I have never upgraded windows before. I have always just installed the full OS.

So down the road, when I want to re-install windows 7 for whatever reason, do I have to install vista first and do the upgrade again? Or is it a straight install after the first time?

[quote name='Vinny']You can get the professional edition with virtual XP for the same price:
http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/pd/productID.161678700

That seems like a better deal since it's got a few more features (namely virtual XP).

BTW, you can get this as long as you have a student .edu address. I graded this august but my email is still valid so I haven't had any issues.[/QUOTE]It might be just me, but the link you put up takes me to the same page as what the OP posted, which is 7 home premium.

[quote name='Terms Page']Program Description: Eligible students are allowed to purchase one license of the product below:
1. Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium
OR
2. Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional
[/QUOTE]
Well, it's an option... just need to find how to access it.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Well, it's an option... just need to find how to access it.[/QUOTE]

This guy seems to have a method:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com.../thread/057c452c-5d71-4532-b005-57f8037a6876/

Edit: To be clear, here's what I was referring to:

[quote name='"Andre Da Costa"']
1. Register your e-mail address
2. Click the link in the Eligibility Confirmation e-mail you receive.
3. Note that Home Premium is automatically added to your cart. Notice that beneath the cart is a link that ask something about needing to join your University Domain or Domain Join.
4. IMPORTANT STEP: Click the link referring to Domain Join below the cart to add Windows 7 Professional instead of Home Premium.
5. Complete the checkout process with Windows 7 Professional and save your confirmation e-mail.[/Quote]

I'll give it a try and let everyone know whether it works.

Edit: It did.

Might be a dumb question but is there any way to use the upgrade on 2 computers? I have a desktop that use sparingly and a laptop which I use all the time. If I upgrade can I do it to both?

[quote name='NJMane']Might be a dumb question but is there any way to use the upgrade on 2 computers? I have a desktop that use sparingly and a laptop which I use all the time. If I upgrade can I do it to both?[/QUOTE]
No. :cry:
[quote name='Terms Page']
Purchase Limitations: Eligible students may purchase no more than one license of Microsoft® Windows 7 per valid e-mail address or billing address.[/QUOTE]Perhaps find someone who doesn't want theirs?

[quote name='NJMane']Might be a dumb question but is there any way to use the upgrade on 2 computers? I have a desktop that use sparingly and a laptop which I use all the time. If I upgrade can I do it to both?[/QUOTE]

Upgrade whichever one runs Vista.

im suprised my email was accepted as it doesnt end in edu...

nice to see I can get the professional version.. but i have home premium on my lappy.. so i would have to do a clean install with professional i assume

[quote name='crispydave']Wonder if I can get this being in High School?[/QUOTE]

Technically, only if your high school gave you a .edu email address. But then again, several people seem to be getting the deal without such addresses.

Remember, if your school has MSDNAA access (most likely for Computer Science and Engineering majors), you get a full Win7 Pro for FREE

*running Windows 7 64-bit which I got from MSDNAA and paid nothing for*

Done and done. Cancelling my Newegg pre-order and ordering this one. I graduated a year ago but we get to keep our .edu addresses for three years. Hooray!

Pretty sure it'll just say "This key has already been used." My friend installed Vista on his PC. When it rebooted, it showed the prompt to re-enter the key which we did. Just said that the key was already used.

[quote name='icedrake523']Pretty sure it'll just say "This key has already been used." My friend installed Vista on his PC. When it rebooted, it showed the prompt to re-enter the key which we did. Just said that the key was already used.[/QUOTE]

ok. The key should not be a one time use key though...I assume you should be able to reinstall should there be an issue.

Whats the major difference between the x32 and x64 versions of windows? I have 1 comp. that has x32 and one that has x64 but cant notice any difference what-so-ever. (trying to decide which one to get)

[quote name='NJMane']Whats the major difference between the x32 and x64 versions of windows? I have 1 comp. that has x32 and one that has x64 but cant notice any difference what-so-ever. (trying to decide which one to get)[/QUOTE]

A simple google search will give you plenty of answers to that question. ;) In general, x64 will run a lot faster with programs that are coded accordingly, and it supports a greater amount of ram. As for switching from x32-x64 for myself, I noticed a huge speed difference in response time to windows myself. Also, you aren't going to notice changes in most games (except for new games), as they aren't coded in 64-bit coding. Do some google searches to learn more though, IMO if you have a 64bit processor, you might as well go for the 64bit version of windows.

In terms of the deal, it is good overall, but signing up for IEEE last week got me 8 copies of Windows 7 Professional through MSDN, and it only cost $32 to join, so it doesn't sound that great to me. Though IEEE is only for engineering students and various other fields, so not everyone can sign up. Still, getting 8-copies of Windows 7 for $32 was well worth it :)

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']
In terms of the deal, it is good overall, but signing up for IEEE last week got me 8 copies of Windows 7 Professional through MSDN, and it only cost $32 to join, so it doesn't sound that great to me. Though IEEE is only for engineering students and various other fields, so not everyone can sign up. Still, getting 8-copies of Windows 7 for $32 was well worth it :)[/QUOTE]

I'm an engineering student, so when I join the IEEE, I'll automatically be getting 8 copies of Windows 7?

Thanks OP. Grabbed Windows 7 64-bit. Will there be a way to backup the download that we get? I'm kind of regretting not buying the backup disk or the protection plan.

[quote name='guyver2077']ok. The key should not be a one time use key though...I assume you should be able to reinstall should there be an issue.[/QUOTE]

If my experience with my student copy of XP was any indication, it's not always a simple re-install. When I re-installed it XP on the same computer (my main HD crashed), I kept getting the "key has already been used" error. I had to call MS and they kept asking me a bunch of questions trying to see it was indeed the same computer... than the guy re-activated it.

[quote name='J7.']Does the Amazon deal for $50 send you a back up disc or is that also only a digital download?[/QUOTE]

You get an actual package with an actual disc.

How does this digital download work? The site is kind of vague as to what you are actually downloading, be it the ISO or some sort of online installation.

Also, I noticed that they may ask for additional verification for school enrollment (i.e. similar to the Office for Student offers). Has anyone ever had to provide additional information?

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']A simple google search will give you plenty of answers to that question. ;) In general, x64 will run a lot faster with programs that are coded accordingly, and it supports a greater amount of ram. As for switching from x32-x64 for myself, I noticed a huge speed difference in response time to windows myself. Also, you aren't going to notice changes in most games (except for new games), as they aren't coded in 64-bit coding. Do some google searches to learn more though, IMO if you have a 64bit processor, you might as well go for the 64bit version of windows.

In terms of the deal, it is good overall, but signing up for IEEE last week got me 8 copies of Windows 7 Professional through MSDN, and it only cost $32 to join, so it doesn't sound that great to me. Though IEEE is only for engineering students and various other fields, so not everyone can sign up. Still, getting 8-copies of Windows 7 for $32 was well worth it :)[/QUOTE]

Was that 8 hard copies or just through access on the site? Because I saw in the membership terms that their memberships run from Jan-Dec, and that even by signing up now, you get charged for a full year, but it expires in December. Obviously, it's worth it for the copies of Windows 7. I just want to make sure I won't need to be renewing the membership to maintain access.

Actually, unless I'm missing something, it looks like Windows 7 isn't even offered anymore. This is what their page says:

Wide range of software available

Software highlights include:

• Vista Business Edition
  • Visual Studio Team System - "Top of the line" professional development tool!
  • Expression Web Designer
  • Project Professional 2007
  • Visio 2007
  • Windows
To name just a few of the most popular development tools! A complete list of the software currently available is provided.
When you click the link to view the complete list it just shows Vista and XP.

EDIT - And I just found this on MSDN:

2009-09-17 Windows 7 products are unavailable at this time. Please check back. (17-Sep-2009).
EDIT 2 - Yeah, I think I figured it out. They pulled it. This is stated numerous times on ACM's sign up form:

(Please note: The Microsoft Developer Academic Alliance package offered to Student Members DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY VERSION OF Windows 7.)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/172509/windows_7_performance_tests.html

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=172509&page=1&type=table&zoomIdx=3
PCWorld compared Windows 7 to Windows Vista and it doesn't look like Windows 7 is much of an improvement at all & in some cases it is worse than Vista:

"Windows 7 is consistently slower than Vista at launching applications.
In every timed application-launch test we performed, Windows 7 took anywhere from a trivial 0.7 second to nearly 7 seconds longer than Vista to open a program."

if you call the microsoft store and mention a student discount, you can get either the upgrade or full version of home premium or professional windows 7. 32 or 64 bit too, both are included in the order.

[quote name='J7.']http://www.pcworld.com/article/172509/windows_7_performance_tests.html

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=172509&page=1&type=table&zoomIdx=3
PCWorld compared Windows 7 to Windows Vista and it doesn't look like Windows 7 is much of an improvement at all & in some cases it is worse than Vista:

"Windows 7 is consistently slower than Vista at launching applications.
In every timed application-launch test we performed, Windows 7 took anywhere from a trivial 0.7 second to nearly 7 seconds longer than Vista to open a program."[/QUOTE]

I had windows Vista on my laptop and have now had Windows 7 for close to 2 months and it is far and away a better operating system/experience than vista was.

[quote name='gi60']If I only have Vista Home.. do I need to do a clean install or not?[/QUOTE]

no, you can just upgrade from vista....you have to do a cleani install when going from xp to 7

[quote name='Anhmeister']Thanks OP. Grabbed Windows 7 64-bit. Will there be a way to backup the download that we get? I'm kind of regretting not buying the backup disk or the protection plan.[/QUOTE]

i say burn a few copies of the ISO.

[quote name='mn9500']if you call the microsoft store and mention a student discount, you can get either the upgrade or full version of home premium or professional windows 7. 32 or 64 bit too, both are included in the order.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that sounds ymmv, hopefully it's not. Full version for $30 on disc?

[quote name='J7.']Wow, that sounds ymmv, hopefully it's not. Full version for $30 on disc?[/QUOTE]

I would like further details on this as well. I want to be able to install Win 7 on two computers (my laptop and desktop), and I hear that I can't do that with a DD. How do I get a disc copy at that same price?

[quote name='SOLDIER']I would like further details on this as well. I want to be able to install Win 7 on two computers (my laptop and desktop), and I hear that I can't do that with a DD. How do I get a disc copy at that same price?[/QUOTE]

Unless the disk is a multiple license copy you will still have to buy another license with the disk to activate on a 2nd pc

So for someone who wants to install it on two computers, and also has a student discount, what's the best deal(s) available?

[quote name='aerozero']Wait, so this is the full Windows 7 version?[/QUOTE]

Edit: no, it is the upgrade...

bread's done
Back