Square Enix President says Wii 2 in 2011

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
From an IGN article

[quote name='IGN']According to a report by the Financial Times, Square-Enix president Yoichi Wada believes that the successor to Nintendo's incredibly popular Wii videogame console will arrive in 2011. The Times is vague on details with regard to Wii 2, but paraphrases Wada as saying it should debut with "functionality more like that of Microsoft's Xbox 360 or Sony's PlayStation 3, and possibly a different controller."

If Wada is referring to more powerful hardware and the ability to output high-definition graphics, he's right. In a June 2009 interview with Venture Beat, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata confirmed that the successor to Wii would embrace the new HD age. "If we have an opportunity to make a new console, it will probably support HD because it is now common throughout the world."

Nintendo's Wii system debuted in November of 2006, which means that a 2011 release for Wii 2 would allow the console a traditional five-year life cycle. Sony's leaders have stated that they believe PlayStation 3 will enjoy a much longer life cycle. Could the same happen for Wii, which continues to outsell its competitors on a monthly basis? That all depends on whether or not Wii can continue to support innovative ideas that sell.

"As we continue our research and study for new hardware, when we will be able to launch a new kind of hardware will actually depend on when we can change entertainment completely, and so have a strong impact on people around the world," Iwata said during a financial briefing two years ago "Or, there will certainly be a time when we have to say that we have done everything possible with the current machine, that we can never propose anything new."[/QUOTE]

I expect to see new consoles from Nintento, MS, and Sony around 2011-2012. So this isn't that big a deal. Sony probably means a ten year cycle like the PS1 and PS2 where they will sell both consoles alongside each other. So in like 2013 they will be selling the PS3 for $100 or so and the PS4 for $400.

I dont think sony wants to jump that soon.. Microsoft may if they dont get the RROD handled, but still...

First out from N with HD graphics and Galaxy 2 or Zelda in HD.... I can see it happening.

I'll be curious to see if Nintendo's next gen system is again well behind the other two technologically and at a lower price. Given how well it's worked out for them this time I wouldn't be shocked, though let's hope their next system can at least match the current offerings from MS and Sony.

At this point, the proposition of starting over in 2 years does not at all sound appealing. If the games are made in a higher resolution with only the hardware limiting the output, then that's fine. But, if we start getting into Wii games vs. Wii 2 games, I'm walking. Screw that.

Can I be the first to call it the "WiiWii"? Hope this thing has BC cause I think the Wii is going to be one of the first systems I dont own, unless they release another zelda or something earth shattering.

EDIT:

Oh, and if they were to follow their current gameplan of successful systems, they wont release a Wii2, it will just be called the Wii light, with higher resolution and camera attatched.

[quote name='bvharris']I'll be curious to see if Nintendo's next gen system is again well behind the other two technologically and at a lower price. Given how well it's worked out for them this time I wouldn't be shocked, though let's hope their next system can at least match the current offerings from MS and Sony.[/QUOTE]

Without them introducing another new and popular way to control games, I can't see them staying on top with a system that is well behind MS and Sony.

[quote name='bvharris']I'll be curious to see if Nintendo's next gen system is again well behind the other two technologically and at a lower price. Given how well it's worked out for them this time I wouldn't be shocked, though let's hope their next system can at least match the current offerings from MS and Sony.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what else to expect from Nintendo other than HD size graphics and a machine that can play them naturally.

That and BC, with maybe a VC license transition.

I don't need my Wii2 to play DVDs or Blurays, I already have that.

I don't need it to stream content from my HTPC that's already at my TV.

I think expecting more, or trying to make it more will lose the focus that Nintendo had. Great fun, prints money, loved by everything but the people here.

The biggest failure that they could help is better controls. And maybe not rape so much on every tidbit accessory. I have yet to purchase more than two Motion+ yet, one was a pack-in, and the other was a GB ECA accessory bonus for cheap at $16.

If they wrapped up all that from what they learned, and just make it do HD graphics, we really only have the software company to blame.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Without them introducing another new and popular way to control games, I can't see them staying on top with a system that is well behind MS and Sony.[/QUOTE]

It has served them well for this generation.

Look at the Gamecube; it was more powerful than the PS2 only slightly behind the XBOX, but was relegated to third place. With the Wii they have been able to produce a system that is not only affordable, but also selling well above a PS2 level given launch to today sales. There's little incentive at the moment to try and 1-up the PS3/360 in the graphical department.

Having said that, we are getting pretty close to Nintendo's typical console development cycle (5 years since SNES > 1991 > 1996 > 2001 > 2006), so it's not unreasonable to expect to see something in 2011. It's a tougher market to predict however, since I don't think anyone expects Sony or Microsoft to push their next system that soon, and I don't believe Nintendo has ever been at the forefront of a generation with a new console. So whether or not we'll see a replacement SKU model or a completely new console remains to be seen. Either way, if something does indeed get released in 2011 it'll be a completely new thing for Nintendo.

Meh, I'm skipping next generation anyway. Gaming is much more affordable if you're a little bit behind the curve.

I know they've done well this gen, but they came out with a new way to control how you play which became really popular. All I was saying is they can't expect to have the same lack of power under the hood compared to the other system offerings, not bring anything new to the table, and expect it to sell like the Wii based on the Nintendo name alone.

If they are truly developing another new Zelda title based on Wii Hardware, and end up porting this to the new system ala Twilight Princess, i will be a sad panda.

Dear Nintendo - If you are going to launch another system with a Zelda game, PLEASE have it based on the hardware of the new system and not the hardware of the previous generation... ;)

The Wii really just needs better graphics, space to download shit, an a better online service. It's really not much.

I think done right, FPS games are great for the Wii. The problem is that most FPS are all about looking great. That's something the Wii can't do at the moment. Metroid Prime Trilogy looks pretty good, but, it would look better in 1080p.

Even if they do stay a step behind to make things profitable, it would actually work out well for them.

I'd be interested.

They need HD graphics, more storage space, totally revamped and improved online features, and a new controller/more buttons on the wii remote.

[quote name='guyver2077']they should have gone hd to begin with... fucking n[/QUOTE]

If the Wii had come out with HD graphics and motion controls, it would be in third place now. With HD graphics, it would need to launch at around $400-500 to be profitable. With a new controller design and motion controls, there would be too many question marks. Third parties would be baffled and even with first-party gems like TP, Mario Galaxy, MP3 in HD I don't think it would've been enough to win over the masses.

The Wii is in first place because it was accessible, both in price and in gameplay.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']If the Wii had come out with HD graphics and motion controls, it would be in third place now. With HD graphics, it would need to launch at around $400-500 to be profitable. With a new controller design and motion controls, there would be too many question marks. Third parties would be baffled and even with first-party gems like TP, Mario Galaxy, MP3 in HD I don't think it would've been enough to win over the masses.

The Wii is in first place because it was accessible, both in price and in gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with this. Nintendo obviously made the right decision for the time. I question, though, whether or not they need to put out an HD Wii even now. When I see HDTVs in bars and in peoples homes, 99% of the time what do I see on them? SD content, even godawful stretched out SD content. Do most people care about HD? I don't know.

Then again, 2011 isn't *now*. Maybe 2011 is just right.

[quote name='crunchewy']Completely agree with this. Nintendo obviously made the right decision for the time. I question, though, whether or not they need to put out an HD Wii even now. When I see HDTVs in bars and in peoples homes, 99% of the time what do I see on them? SD content, even godawful stretched out SD content. Do most people care about HD? I don't know.

Then again, 2011 isn't *now*. Maybe 2011 is just right.[/QUOTE]

QFT... Oddly enough I would argue all three companies made "the right" decision, albeit with some mistakes along the way.

The PS3, while a financial drain for Sony, helped them win the Blu-Ray battle against Toshiba. If the division finally even comes close to breaking even then it has been a resounding win for the company.

The Xbox-360 has establish Microsoft as a player in the field for some time to come in ways much better than the Xbox. Xbox-Live despite its costs is second to none in online gaming, and has managed to put themselves into a position where games are coded for the 360 and ported to the PS3. Microsoft still has some serious bruises from their hardware failures, but if they have fixed those problems with the current chipsets and reinforce proper testing for future hardware, then Microsoft should be doing just fine for some time.

I don't think Sony and MS are in any rush to get new systems out... Sony still doesn't turn a profit on their systems and MS is probably expecting Natal to extend the 360's lifespan.

For Nintendo, it would make sense to release a new system. The Wii's hardware limitations have been readily apparent after the first year or two.

[quote name='Vinny']The Wii's hardware limitations have been readily apparent after the first year or two.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I want to outright laugh at that or ask more questions.

Which part of the hardware has been limiting the Wii?

I think a lot of it will depend on how the Sony wand and MS Natal do Christmas 2010. If it gives the Wii a run for it's money, I'd expect something ready for Christmas 2011. If not, they'll probably hold off as long as they can if it's still turning a profit (just look at the DS).

I'm sure the next Wii will be BC, Nintendo has always been about that. As for your VC games, I'd say there's a snowball's chance in hell Nintendo will let them be carried over.

[quote name='xycury']I don't know if I want to outright laugh at that or ask more questions.

Which part of the hardware has been limiting the Wii?[/QUOTE]

If you've played any system this generation besides the Wii, you would see it easily, unless you are blind. It has weaker and slower processors, it doesn't have a graphics card that is near anything next-generation (the GC can output better graphics), there is no DVD-playback (every other system has it), no digital / optical output, no HDMI, no "official" composite cables, no real storage capacity (SD cards... really? If this was a digital camera, sure, but this is a console), USB ports are practically useless (you can't really use anything on them at all), and that's just a few out of probably hundreds of hardware limitations.

The Wii's hardware sucks, quite frankly. This is coming from someone who has owned a Wii since launch. The fact that it can't even do simple things, or even output in HD for christ's sake, should show you how limited the hardware is currently. It's just slightly more powerful than a GC, with a new controller.

Hopefully the new Wii will actually fix those problems, and make it an actual system, instead of budget hardware.

[quote name='xycury']I don't know if I want to outright laugh at that or ask more questions.

Uh HD graphics? I am sorry but when emulator can do that your hardware got a serious problem.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']If you've played any system this generation besides the Wii, you would see it easily, unless you are blind. It has weaker and slower processors, it doesn't have a graphics card that is near anything next-generation[/QUOTE]

Well, the 360 or PS3 doesn't have anything near next-generation either, to be fair.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r'](the GC can output better graphics),[/QUOTE]

...n...no. I'm pretty sure the Wii has more powerful hardware than the Gamecube.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']there is no DVD-playback (every other system has it),[/QUOTE]

My NES and SNES don't play DVDs and I love those to this day.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']no digital / optical output, no HDMI, no "official" composite cables,[/QUOTE]

You mean official Component cables? Er, Wat?

And why would you need D/O sound output or HDMI on a console that doesn't output in HD or support 5.1 audio? It'd be a waste.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']no real storage capacity (SD cards... really? If this was a digital camera, sure, but this is a console),[/QUOTE]

Why do you need a ton of storage when the software on WiiWare or especially the Virtual Console is tiny?

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']USB ports are practically useless (you can't really use anything on them at all),[/QUOTE]

And this is Nintendo's fault?

The Wii's hardware sucks, quite frankly. This is coming from someone who has owned a Wii since launch. The fact that it can't even do simple things, or even output in HD for christ's sake, should show you how limited the hardware is currently. It's just slightly more powerful than a GC, with a new controller.
So? It plays games, it plays them well, and it's fun. Why does it matter if it's in "HD" or not? A movie watched on DVD is just as good as a movie on Blu-Ray. Seeing Citizen Kane on DVD instead of Blu-Ray doesn't automatically make it a worse film.

You people are getting your panties in a wad. The fact of the matter is that the Wii has a bunch of games that are tons of fun. Isn't all that matters? The best graphics in the world aren't going to make a bad game good.

Most importantly if you don't like the Wii or it's games, why the hell can't you just shut up and enjoy whatever you like to play? What does endless bitching acccomplish?

Sometimes I think you're all secretly jealous that you don't get the awesome software Nintendo puts out on your console of choice, or maybe you're just too poor to afford a Wii? I dunno, I just can't seem to understand why you would go out of your way to shit on something that you don't like. One would think that if there's nothing on the Wii you want to play you'd just ignore it, not go "GRAH WHAT THE fuck IS WRONG WITH YOU WHY ARE YOU ENJOYING IT?"

mediocre games are definitely improved by better graphics. I don't think the wii needs more mediocre games, though. It needs more awareness for wii owners to get the good games.

Little King's Story, for example, is a gem. The graphics are great, even on a larger tv, the gameplay is solid and it is fun, independent of resolution.
But it didn't sell too well, and it probably wouldn't sell more if the wii output in 720p. On the Wii, higher quality does not yield more sales, it's a shame. I don't know if an HD Wii would change that.

As for storage, the Wii definitely needs more storage space. Even an internal 4gb would be huge. I have a dozen wiiware titles, and it is a pain to shuffle them around, even with the ability to play off the sd card, it's a patchwork solution. Demos for disc games would also be nice. And wiiconnect 24 is terrible. Having to turn it on to access the nintendo channel??! just turn it on for me when I access the channel, then turn it off afterwards if I don't want it on all the time heating up the system.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']If you've played any system this generation besides the Wii, you would see it easily, unless you are blind. It has weaker and slower processors, it doesn't have a graphics card that is near anything next-generation (the GC can output better graphics), there is no DVD-playback (every other system has it), no digital / optical output, no HDMI, no "official" composite cables, no real storage capacity (SD cards... really? If this was a digital camera, sure, but this is a console), USB ports are practically useless (you can't really use anything on them at all), and that's just a few out of probably hundreds of hardware limitations.

Hopefully the new Wii will actually fix those problems, and make it an actual system, instead of budget hardware.[/QUOTE]

maximumzero already nullified your comment. I need not add to it.

[quote name='62t']Uh HD graphics? I am sorry but when emulator can do that your hardware got a serious problem.[/QUOTE]

And it's all about one thing... HD.

Would there be any chance of any game coming over that wouldn't be exclusive that would require HD?

Besides RE4, Zelda, and Metroid..... come on... what other game would "be better" in HD? Mario Galaxy 2? LMAO

I'm quoting vherub, good point.

[quote name='vherub']mediocre games are definitely improved by better graphics. I don't think the wii needs more mediocre games, though. It needs more awareness for wii owners to get the good games.

Little King's Story, for example, is a gem. The graphics are great, even on a larger tv, the gameplay is solid and it is fun, independent of resolution.
But it didn't sell too well, and it probably wouldn't sell more if the wii output in 720p. On the Wii, higher quality does not yield more sales, it's a shame. I don't know if an HD Wii would change that.

As for storage, the Wii definitely needs more storage space. Even an internal 4gb would be huge. I have a dozen wiiware titles, and it is a pain to shuffle them around, even with the ability to play off the sd card, it's a patchwork solution. Demos for disc games would also be nice. And wiiconnect 24 is terrible. Having to turn it on to access the nintendo channel??! just turn it on for me when I access the channel, then turn it off afterwards if I don't want it on all the time heating up the system.[/QUOTE]

HD isn't everything... if it was... WoW would be in HD... it clearly isn't. I rest my case.

Please put all epeens back your pants.

Problem is, games like Little King Story (Or Muramasa, or even Madworld) are not going to sell gangbusters on the Wii...or any platform for that matter. People can argue but those are niche games, the sales are going to be flat/low regardless of platform.

But, and this is the big one, it would be more profitable on the Wii versus other consoles because the costs needed to make the game are much lower.

So with that said, those kinds of games are going to be more successful on the Wii, and they have been. Each one of them have brought in very respectable figures. That is why we continue to see those kind of niche titles hit the Wii, and that is also why I believe the truly hardcore are not bitching about the Wii either. It does have some very high quality software hitting the platform. Yes, there is a sea of shovelware, but no worse than what was on the NES or even PS2/PSOne.

Gamers have a short memory, that and I think that regardless of what Nintendo does, they are always going to be "shit on" by gamers. It has been that way since the SNES and things have not changed regardless of where they stand in the marketplace.

Personally speaking, I think the Wii is the best damn Nintendo console to come out since the SNES, in fact, it is my primary platform with my PS3 being my secondary.That hasn't happened since I was a kid lol :p

I'll echo the last few comments. The Wii is just fine for your average user.

The Wii wasnt HD for one simple reason, the Wii is a die shrunk Gamecube with a couple of other enhancements included in the package.

It is amazing that the addition of the Wiimote and a couple of demo games (Wii Sports) moved so many units. The Wii in its current retail configuration and price still sells more units than the Xbox 360. Does Nintendo have to do anything? Not in the least for a while it would seem. Heck, how many of us have seen Xbox 360s and PS3s hooked up to under 30 or 20-inch HD TVs or even older CRT units?

This isnt to say that the Wii is perfect, far from it, but its limitations arent felt by the average user.

Personally, the storage limitations and severely limited online system are huge failures, but I assume and hope Nintendo will address them a bit better in whatever system is the successor to the Wii.

I'm disappointed my personal pet peeve doesnt get more attention, which is the lack of a license transfer tool. Officially, Nintendo's stance is that downloads are tied to one single unit. I have zero incentive to purchase a DSi XL or move to call it the Wii 2 if Nintendo doesnt rectify this at some point.

[quote name='foltzie']Heck, how many of us have seen Xbox 360s and PS3s hooked up to under 30 or 20-inch HD TVs or even older CRT units?[/QUOTE]

*Raises Hand*

My brother-in-law owns both a PS3 & 360, both connected to a 26"(ish) SDTV, both connected via composite.

Also owns a PSP but not a DS or Wii.

I'm not sure what's so funny or why you even need to ask but: the GPU and the CPU. The graphical difference (technically) is obviously noticeable but I haven't seen any games with good AI on the Wii and most games can't can't seem to handle physics very well (outside of games with the simplest graphics).

And no, it's not just HD graphics. The Wii can't handle anything nearly as well as the PS3/360, even on an SD TV. This wasn't a big deal for a while but in the past year or so, there's a significant and growing gap.

[quote name='Vinny']I haven't seen any games with good AI on the Wii [/QUOTE]

I've asked this numerous times on this site, but can someone please point me to a game with good AI? I've never seen one.

This is an honest question, I swear. Because I hear this complaint a lot, and then people shuffle off into some argument about processors and horsepower, etc. I don't deny that complicated AI is best served with proper engines and so forth, but I still have yet to see a game - any game, anywhere - have good AI. Sure, games can be hard, and enemies can have some tricky routines, but it usually either falls to A) unequal overpoweredness (enemies just have more ammo, or spawn a lot, etc) or B) it's a pattern you have to learn to exploit. It never seems like good honest AI.

Someone please give me a list. It's all I'm asking for.

Also, seanR - your link was back in October 2008. Seems a bit outdated, but I remember when it first sprang up.

In regards to the OP itself, I don't doubt a new Nintendo system by...oh, 2012 at the latest, but I'll bet for next year. Nintendo likes (generally) five year console spans. I'd love to say they are readying a system that addresses most of the Wii's faults, but I'm doubting it more by the day. They don't see friend codes as a problem, don't want to open up into hard drives (and further, archaically, see them as anti-game system, which also is ironic), probably won't have a license transfer tool, etc.

Mostly it had better not be an incremental thing like the DS has been. You can get away with it better there. Throwing out a Wii with 720p would be a terrible move. "Haha, it's two Wiis duct taped together." No, I won't get sick of that for the next five years, especially when someone starts up THAT MEANS IT'S FOUR GAMECUBES ROFLAOMFLOM.

I guess I'm a little more optimistic. I do see Nintendo releasing a much more powerful successor, but with that stated I don't see it being more than the power of a Xbox 360 or PS3.

I do see the next console being backwards compatible, I do see them having a license transfer tool, and I do expect their online to improve by infrastructure. Iwata has certainly addressed this. Finally, I expect them to master motion controls and have software (casual and core) that address this. It is certainly going to be a evolution of sorts.

But I do not see them matching Sony or MS with graphical power or multimedia aspects, I do not see them having their system leave the friend code BS, and I do not see them abandoning their focus on casual software (and for that matter, core software too).

Thing is, they do need their core audience, it brings them steady income and I see them appealing to them. But remember, the Nintendo core audience is much different than Sony or MS's. As long as Nintendo makes new games in their franchises, their core audience will continue buying. It is an important part of their strategy, especially considering this:

The casual market is about to become ultra competitive because of Sony and MS wanting a piece of it, it is not in Nintendo's interest to ignore their core or casual market. They are going to need both and it is something I've seen expressed by their shareholders (me included). And the thing is, they can have both, but it is going to need a bit of a refocus. Not much of a refocus but a little bit honestly.

@Strell: Deep Blue? Was it ported to consoles yet?? (Ok, the whole "AI" term is misleading. Programmed behavior can increase in complexity with effort, but I don't know of any true intelligent programs - especially not within a console game.)

Also, it's funny to see how touchy people get over the next gen subject.

As a Wii owner who loves the console, I know there are many improvements to architecture/design/hardware that Nintendo could make available with a new console in 2010. Wii has provided -- and continues to provide -- tremendous entertainment at a great value, but certainly did leave room for growth.

Increased processing power and memory doesn't mean better games, but does give programmers more flexibility. Higher resolution graphics don't improve gameplay, but neither do they hurt (unless the budget and effort required for HD graphics detracts from other areas of development).

[quote name='M-PG71C']
I do see the next console being backwards compatible, I do see them having a license transfer tool, and I do expect their online to improve by infrastructure. Iwata has certainly addressed this. Finally, I expect them to master motion controls and have software (casual and core) that address this. It is certainly going to be a evolution of sorts.
[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree with that part. Nintendo has nothing in place to let me recover downloaded games from one Wii on another, what makes you think they'd jump ship for the next system?

[quote name='maximumzero']And why would you need D/O sound output or HDMI on a console that doesn't output in HD or support 5.1 audio? It'd be a waste.[/QUOTE]:rofl:

Why do you think the Wii can't output 5.1? No digital out!
It's more than capable. The Xbox had plenty of Dolby Digital games and the PS2 put out some DTS games even.

Even IF the games were all 2 channel stereo (like most PS2 games), a digital out is still superior as it lets your receiver convert the sound into analog instead of the inferior DACs of the Wii.

[quote name='maximumzero']
Why do you need a ton of storage when the software on WiiWare or especially the Virtual Console is tiny?[/QUOTE]I'm just glad Nintendo enabled SD card support for games (though its just a workaround), I'm sure everyone here ran out of space early on.

[quote name='seanr1221']Have to disagree with that part. Nintendo has nothing in place to let me recover downloaded games from one Wii on another, what makes you think they'd jump ship for the next system?[/QUOTE]I don't expect a miracle either.

Wii 2 will flop just like how DSi is doing right now. Nintendo asked developers to make DSi exclusive and nobody did and it will be the same for Wii 2. Game company has to be insane to forsake all the Wii install base and develop Wii 2 exclusive.

[quote name='laaj']Wii 2 will flop just like how DSi is doing right now. Nintendo asked developers to make DSi exclusive and nobody did and it will be the same for Wii 2. Game company has to be insane to forsake all the Wii install base and develop Wii 2 exclusive.[/QUOTE]
I dont think this is quite right.

1) They stated when they launched the DSi that exclusive games would come later and not right away.

2) To the extent that it is replacing the DSLite and 100% backwards compatible with all DS games, its building an install base AHEAD of DSi specific sofware.

3) DSiWare seems to have games on it.

4) Last week's numbers in Japan, which are not uncharacteristic

Code:
    | This Wk | Last Wk |    YTD    |     LTD    
------------------------------------------------
WII | 215.129 | 191.915 | 1.962.367 |  9.441.344  
NDS | 213.109 | 183.347 | 3.978.953 | 29.098.588 
PS3 | 110.519 | 237.086 | 1.764.531 |  4.386.999 
PSP | 109.993 |  82.454 | 2.248.171 | 13.606.274  
360 |   6.489 |   8.965 |   373.357 |  1.202.794  
PS2 |   3.747 |   2.982 |   206.625 | 21.606.154  
DSi | [COLOR="lime"]113.984[/COLOR] |  95.227 | 3.015.126 |  4.246.485  
DSiL| [COLOR="lime"] 81.430[/COLOR] |  75.241 |   436.264 |    436.264  
DSL |  [COLOR="lime"]17.695[/COLOR] |  11.879 |   527.563 | 17.830.368  
PSP | 105.801 |  79.194 | 2.176.319 | 13.534.422  
PSPg|   4.192 |   3.260 |    71.852 |     71.852

With that said, Wii HD sends Nintendo back to 3rd place, without passing go, and without collecting $200.

a) All 3rd parties will do is port PS360 games that everyone either has already played or doesnt care about anymore because its easy and is cheap enough to turn a small profit
b) Mainstream doesnt care about graphics
c) HD gaming is a fictional business model that has resulted in the collapse of Western development. Nintendo will never be feature competitive with 2 hardware makers that are content with losing money forever, and with an increasingly smaller portfolio of developers who like losing money.

[quote name='Strell']
Also, seanR - your link was back in October 2008. Seems a bit outdated, but I remember when it first sprang up.
[/QUOTE]

:oops: I didn't realize that.

[quote name='dallow']
I don't expect a miracle either.[/QUOTE]

Luckily the Wii is small enough it wouldn't be THAT much of a big deal to keep it around as a VC machine.

[quote name='Strell']I've asked this numerous times on this site, but can someone please point me to a game with good AI? I've never seen one.

This is an honest question, I swear. Because I hear this complaint a lot, and then people shuffle off into some argument about processors and horsepower, etc. I don't deny that complicated AI is best served with proper engines and so forth, but I still have yet to see a game - any game, anywhere - have good AI. Sure, games can be hard, and enemies can have some tricky routines, but it usually either falls to A) unequal overpoweredness (enemies just have more ammo, or spawn a lot, etc) or B) it's a pattern you have to learn to exploit. It never seems like good honest AI.

Someone please give me a list. It's all I'm asking for.[/QUOTE]

I guess your definition of good A.I. might differ from mine but I'll give my take on it.

Assuming you play on a normal difficulty, to me, bad AI is when an enemy shoots at you and then moves/flies around (or a combination of both) and then starts shooting again. Basically, he follows a pattern. But good AI would be the enemies in Half-Life 2. They'll shoot, try to flank you, and even avoid your attacks.

Crysis, FarCry, Call of Duty series, Halo series, F.E.A.R., Forza 3, and Uncharted 2 are a few others that come to mind and most of those are very recent but with those, I can say that there's at least progress on the PC/360/PS3. F.E.A.R. really stands out for me, that game's A.I. was great.

In general though, the only tactic A.I. uses in Wii games seem to be to attack the player relentlessly. NSMB's is one Wii game I haven't played yet but I heard the game is hard (though I'm not sure if it's due to good A.I. or what) so maybe I missed something.

I've never seen anything approaching AI in video games ever.

For one, most games arent structured in a way that it makes a difference. If guy is shooting at you, then go around behind is not AI, thats basic path finding.

[quote name='maximumzero']Well, the 360 or PS3 doesn't have anything near next-generation either, to be fair.[/quote]

What isn't next-generation about them? Explain.

[quote name='maximumzero']
...n...no. I'm pretty sure the Wii has more powerful hardware than the Gamecube.[/quote]

Why does Resident Evil 4 on the GC STILL look better then everything put out on the Wii? I'm sure Rouge Squadron even still holds up to everything on the Wii.

[quote name='maximumzero']My NES and SNES don't play DVDs and I love those to this day.[/quote]

Your NES and SNES were made in a time when DVD's didn't exist. They are common-place in everything now, give me one single reason the Wii shouldn't have the option.

[quote name='maximumzero']You mean official Component cables? Er, Wat?[/quote]

I should re-phrase that, then. I wasn't aware they put out official ones, however, they still do not display correctly and it stretches the picture beyond-belief with an HDTV. Basically to the point where you have to play on an SDTV just to get the screen to look right.

[quote name='maximumzero']And why would you need D/O sound output or HDMI on a console that doesn't output in HD or support 5.1 audio? It'd be a waste.[/quote]

I have surround sound. I have an HDTV. I'm not stuck in the past. This hardware is. 30% of people now own HDTV's, and they are the new standard. I'm sure the same number is climbing up with surround sound. Thanks for proving my entire point.

[quote name='maximumzero']Why do you need a ton of storage when the software on WiiWare or especially the Virtual Console is tiny?[/quote]

Really? Let's use this argument for a computer, then. Why do you need any space on a computer? Let's say we have 14GB's. 13GB's of that is taken up by the OS alone. How much is left? 1GB for everything. Everything you will ever use on your computer, you have just 1GB to store it all, and if you want good performance, you don't want to go under 512MB (this isn't much of an issue with the Wii, but I'm talking computers on this point). You have to condense and pick and choose what you want.

Why should you have to do that? I want anything and everything I bought / have to be there. I shouldn't have to pick and choose from a few things just because they chose to use a minimal amount of flash storage for the Wii's memory.

[quote name='maximumzero']And this is Nintendo's fault?[/quote]

Umm... yes. It's their product, so, yes, thank you Captain Obvious, it's obviously their fault. They control what the USB ports are for, and they are the ones not allowing any external hardware to connect through them. This can easily be fixed within a firmware update, like the one they did last year, which allowed a keyboard to finally be plugged in (but it didn't go beyond that until a few months later, when it was finally able to.. *gasp* type!).

[quote name='maximumzero']So? It plays games, it plays them well, and it's fun. Why does it matter if it's in "HD" or not? A movie watched on DVD is just as good as a movie on Blu-Ray. Seeing Citizen Kane on DVD instead of Blu-Ray doesn't automatically make it a worse film.[/quote]

It matters, due to technology advancing. You made a good comparison, DVD's to Blu-Rays. Let me make another. Let's do VHS to Blu-Ray. Is there a difference? Yes, not only in terms of quality, but also in terms of convenience, among other things. Can you skip chapters on a VHS? No. Do you have a menu on a VHS? No. Do you have superb HD-image quality on a VHS? No. Do you have online features on a VHS? No. Are VHS's alive anymore? Not really. Does watching a film such as Citizen Kane on Blu-Ray match-up to watching it on VHS? While it is the same film, it would be more appealing and easier, not to mention better looking, to watch it on Blu-Ray (film broadcasts at a higher resolution then what is currently found in Blu-Ray, and what you see is based upon compression of the films; there is a huge difference between compression on DVD to Blu-Ray, so imagine what VHS to Blu-Ray must be). Sure, it's the same movie, but it's better on Blu-Ray when compared to either VHS or DVD.

It's an advance in technology, and although you may be stuck in the past or be content with DVD's or VHS, not everyone is. I refuse to buy any DVD's anymore, simply because of how much better Blu-Ray is (with the exception of buying King of Kong, due to it being autographed, of-course).

[quote name='maximumzero']You people are getting your panties in a wad. The fact of the matter is that the Wii has a bunch of games that are tons of fun. Isn't all that matters? The best graphics in the world aren't going to make a bad game good.[/quote]

Where did I ever say the Wii doesn't have any fun games? I will gladly agree with you, it has some fantastic games. Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, MadWorld, New Super Mario Bros., No More Heroes, De Blob, Red Steel, Excitetruck, Dead Space Extraction, Wii Sports, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, and I'm sure there's much more.

Oh wait though, I'm completely anti-Wii, so I guess none of those count.

[quote name='maximumzero']Most importantly if you don't like the Wii or it's games, why the hell can't you just shut up and enjoy whatever you like to play? What does endless bitching acccomplish?

Sometimes I think you're all secretly jealous that you don't get the awesome software Nintendo puts out on your console of choice, or maybe you're just too poor to afford a Wii? I dunno, I just can't seem to understand why you would go out of your way to shit on something that you don't like. One would think that if there's nothing on the Wii you want to play you'd just ignore it, not go "GRAH WHAT THE fuck IS WRONG WITH YOU WHY ARE YOU ENJOYING IT?"[/QUOTE]

Really? I'm pretty sure I said I own ALL SYSTEMS this generation of gaming. I stood out in the cold for a total of 17 hours to get my Wii on launch. I loved it, but the the gimmick wore off. It has it's games, like the ones I listed above (which according to you, I never apparently enjoyed to begin with; and am secretly jealous of, since I can easily buy any and all the games I wanted since I have a job and a source of income and all systems that I can easily purchase any game for... but continuing).

A question was asked, and everything I said is true. If you tell me it's not, maybe you're just a casual gamer that is fine with any piece of junk tossed at you. I, on the other hand, would like some actual technology in my next iteration of this system. You are aware they cut anything "next-gen" out simply to make more of a profit off of you, correct? Oh well, they are succeeding; so kudos Nintendo.

[quote name='seanr1221']Have to disagree with that part. Nintendo has nothing in place to let me recover downloaded games from one Wii on another, what makes you think they'd jump ship for the next system?[/QUOTE]

They are tied to your Club Nintendo account. What makes you think they can't turn your Club Nintendo account into a log in ID like PSN or Xbox Live, and it will show your purchased game history, thus letting you download games you've already purchased?

bread's done
Back