Pre-Order the PSP Go for $212.49 ($180 After Bing CB) @ Dell.com

[quote name='freelancer85']Is this a great deal?[/QUOTE]

I guess if you're looking to purchase one it is. :)

I thought I would post it here, though, since we are a video game forum.

[quote name='bvharris']Not even if they paid me $212.49 would I want this. You can pry the physical media from my cold dead hands! :D[/QUOTE]

Burn the Luddite at the stake!!

:p

Dell consistently has the best deals on systems. But at $212 put in another $90 and buy a PS3. PSP Go pricing can not be any worse.

maybe im a sucker for new technology things. I am getting one on DAY ONE, maybe at midnight at the end of the month. I too love physical media, but i just cant resist a GO!.. anyways i will probably not go through Dell since I plan to use a ton of store credit.

if i do use money money then i will be going with whoever gets it first (walmart, target, BB, GS, ect) since I have absolutely terrrible patience... on a related note, someone pm if they see it drop early anywhere :)

Doesnt dell charge tax? and shipping?

Ok it looks like shipping is free you just have to remember to check it.
Also Slickdeals says you can save some more through Bing cashback. Search for "dell PSP" and youll get a 5% bing cash back link

Very tempting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll buy this in a heart beat if it weren't the same system i already had. Need more upgrade to get me in on this. awesome deal though...

blah. Already $100 overpriced to begin with, so even with this amount off, it is still $60 overpriced. When Sony came right out and said they were way over-charging for this device, it totally turned me off. No reason to buy a system where your have to re-buy you whole collection to play on the go. I'll wait for the quick price drop on this, as I doubt it will sell many units at all aside from some pre-orders.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']blah. Already $100 overpriced to begin with, so even with this amount off, it is still $60 overpriced. When Sony came right out and said they were way over-charging for this device, it totally turned me off. No reason to buy a system where your have to re-buy you whole collection to play on the go. I'll wait for the quick price drop on this, as I doubt it will sell many units at all aside from some pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

I will readily admit I'm actively rooting for the PSP Go to fail. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with digital distribution, but I don't think we're anywhere near the point where it should be compulsory. I don't see any good reason why serious gamers who already have the PSP would want to "upgrade" to this other than for the sheer gadget-having factor.

I've owned 2 PSP systems in the past, but I sold both. I am planning on purchasing it again for Chinatown wars. But in my particular case, it would be better to go with the regular PSP (heck, even a refurbished one) because I plan on selling both the system and the game after I'm through. However, I can't very well sell the digital copy of GTA, so... yeah.

Like I said earlier, it's a good deal for someone who was planning on purchasing the Go in the first place.

The estimated delivery date on mine is October 9th. How is Dell's delivery time with pre-orders?

There is supposed to be a PS Store sale October 1-7.

[quote name='bvharris']I will readily admit I'm actively rooting for the PSP Go to fail.[/QUOTE]

Agree.

Updated the damn psp with two major revisions and you guys still can't get it right/make a profit/whatever holy grail you're after in this quest. The Go is just ridiculous, wait another year and make the psp2go or something(oh damn that's a catchy name, copyrighted!) with new improved hardware and then the bells and whistles.

[quote name='Vortextk']Agree.

Updated the damn psp with two major revisions and you guys still can't get it right/make a profit/whatever holy grail you're after in this quest. The Go is just ridiculous, wait another year and make the psp2go or something(oh damn that's a catchy name, copyrighted!) with new improved hardware and then the bells and whistles.[/QUOTE]

LOL PSP2Go is pretty damn catchy. Wouldn't be surprised if someone at sony just read your post.

I'm confused. How is downloading a game to your memory stick not having physical media? What is the difference between the game on your memory stick and the game on a UMD except the added convenience that you can back up the game to multiple sticks/hard drives in case you lose the first one or it gets corrupted?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I'm confused. How is downloading a game to your memory stick not having physical media? What is the difference between the game on your memory stick and the game on a UMD except the added convenience that you can back up the game to multiple sticks/hard drives in case you lose the first one or it gets corrupted?[/QUOTE]

People that are collectors, and people who resell games frequently have big issues with it for obvious reasons. The Go is overpriced. That's the only reason I'm not picking one up. I still want physical media for my home consoles, but the idea of having a DD only portable device interests me alot. $250, however, interests me very little. :p

[quote name='Ficken']Dell consistently has the best deals on systems. But at $212 put in another $90 and buy a PS3. PSP Go pricing can not be any worse.[/QUOTE]

I agree! $250 and it doesn't even make phone calls!?! I'm not an iPhone guy or Mac supporter in anyway, but their products seem like a better shot.

I've held onto my launch unit to this day, and still use it w/o any problems. I've resisted getting the newer slim models b/c that was a quick cash-in for them. Now the pspGO! which isn't even the PSP 2 is in the same price range as consoles!! GTFO!

$150 is my price point that I'm waiting for..

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I'm confused. How is downloading a game to your memory stick not having physical media? What is the difference between the game on your memory stick and the game on a UMD except the added convenience that you can back up the game to multiple sticks/hard drives in case you lose the first one or it gets corrupted?[/QUOTE]

It's not that tricky. I not only play games but I collect them. To me at least there is added value in being able to have the hard copy of the game, to stick it on my shelf, to know that I'll have it forever/as long as I want to keep it. I'm hardly some curmudgeon who is scared of the digital age obviously, but downloading a game just doesn't feel the same to me as owning the retail copy. If I have no other choice, then I have no problem downloading, and my choice here is to keep my old PSP. I just think it's too soon to be moving towards an all-download platform, and I think Sony will find that out the hard way.

Also beyond the collecting/reselling issue, keep this in mind (as a CAG ;)): You'll rarely see deals on downloadable PSP games -- there's no retailer competition, no physical inventory to unload. The whole reason that we get the kind of deals that this entire site is based around is that retailers have to compete with each other, and they have to clear out limited shelf space for new items. None of these issues are relevant in the world of downloadable games, where there is no physical stock and sales are made through a single online site. If distribution goes all digital and you have no choice but to buy through PSN, then forget about deals and welcome to the age of paying MSRP for nearly everything. Look at how rarely sales happen on PSN now, and how limited they are -- that will be all of the time, for everything.

Beyond that, there are other questions -- what's the DRM situation? Will you be able to make back-ups? What happens, several years down the road, when the title that you've purchased is no longer available for re-download, and your media fails for some reason? Physical, pressed UMDs/DVDs/Blu-rays, etc. aren't going to have problems unless you handle them really badly. Volatile solutions, like memory sticks or hard drives, have more potential for issues.

All in all, it's just a really poor idea.

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']maybe im a sucker for new technology things. I am getting one on DAY ONE, maybe at midnight at the end of the month. I too love physical media, but i just cant resist a GO!.. anyways i will probably not go through Dell since I plan to use a ton of store credit.

if i do use money money then i will be going with whoever gets it first (walmart, target, BB, GS, ect) since I have absolutely terrrible patience... on a related note, someone pm if they see it drop early anywhere :)[/QUOTE]

i am getting the psp go at gamecrazy because u get 12 free game rentals

[quote name='arcane93']Also beyond the collecting/reselling issue, keep this in mind (as a CAG ;)): You'll rarely see deals on downloadable PSP games -- there's no retailer competition, no physical inventory to unload. The whole reason that we get the kind of deals that this entire site is based around is that retailers have to compete with each other, and they have to clear out limited shelf space for new items. None of these issues are relevant in the world of downloadable games, where there is no physical stock and sales are made through a single online site. If distribution goes all digital and you have no choice but to buy through PSN, then forget about deals and welcome to the age of paying MSRP for nearly everything. Look at how rarely sales happen on PSN now, and how limited they are -- that will be all of the time, for everything.

Beyond that, there are other questions -- what's the DRM situation? Will you be able to make back-ups? What happens, several years down the road, when the title that you've purchased is no longer available for re-download, and your media fails for some reason? Physical, pressed UMDs/DVDs/Blu-rays, etc. aren't going to have problems unless you handle them really badly. Volatile solutions, like memory sticks or hard drives, have more potential for issues.

All in all, it's just a really poor idea.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Not supporting it either.

Going forward, could we try not to derail every thread that has a PSP Go/DD deal with this soap boxing about it not being a deal or debate about the merits/validity of DD? There are forums with threads already established for that kind of thing and they are just a drop menu away. Deal discussion threads are for things like issues with redemption, stock updates, ways to augment the deal, ways to take advantage of the deal and etcetera.

[quote name='starmask2k3']i am getting the psp go at gamecrazy because u get 12 free game rentals[/QUOTE]

Though your rentals won't be PSP Go games, because there won't be any renting of PSP Go games! :lol:

I can't believe this. Why PSP is priced at 179.99/249.99, when the Wii is dropping to $199.99? SONY is losing its marbles.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Going forward, could we try not to derail every thread that has a PSP Go/DD deal with this soap boxing about it not being a deal or debate about the merits/validity of DD? There are forums with threads already established for that kind of thing and they are just a drop menu away. Deal discussion threads are for things like issues with redemption, stock updates, ways to augment the deal, ways to take advantage of the deal and etcetera.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure deal threads are exactly the right place to discuss the merits of a particular deal. Or do you have a problem with every deal thread in which someone asks "is this game any good?" and then people answer? Mentioning valid concerns about the PSP Go, and pointing out the potential shortcomings to fellow CAGs who might be considering a $200+ purchase seems like a fine use of a post or two, which after all does no harm to anyone.

Thanks for your $.02 though.

It's a really strange strategy of Sony's to mention the possibility of a "good will" program to convert UMD's to downloads months ago and not mention it again with only a few days to go before release. I feel like a big chunk of people who would consider buying a go are big into gadgets/games and already have a psp and have UMD's to convert.

I've had moments of weakness when I've considered a go, but only if I could convert my games. I probably wont get one any ways cause I feel like its too small for my hands and always having to pay full retail for games makes this much more expensive than just the initial cost.

If it was $200 outright with no added fees I'd be a bit more interested, but this is still more than a handheld is worth.

[quote name='caltab']It's a really strange strategy of Sony's to mention the possibility of a "good will" program to convert UMD's to downloads months ago and not mention it again with only a few days to go before release. I feel like a big chunk of people who would consider buying a go are big into gadgets/games and already have a psp and have UMD's to convert.

I've had moments of weakness when I've considered a go, but only if I could convert my games. I probably wont get one any ways cause I feel like its too small for my hands and always having to pay full retail for games makes this much more expensive than just the initial cost.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, just make it insanely easy to transfer ANY UMD into a PSPGo. The major goal of digital distribution for large companies is eliminating third party sales and most of the games are no longer making money for publishers anyway. Just get as many units into people's hands as possible. Especially when the company is making money on system sales.

After tax & shipping, not worth it. Hell, even a straight $200 with no tax/free shipping would not make me "upgrade" to this.

I know the PSPgo is overpriced but I don't know how everyone can hate on it so hard. Personally I'm sick of carrying around 10 UMD's with my PSP. I'm also sick of replacing the flimsy ass UMD plastic casing that snaps in half every time you look at one too hard. I'd much rather have a mobile device with downloadable games. No disc changing/management and a much more portable form factor is what I like about the device. The price of the unit sucks but the convenience factor can't be denied.

Honestly, I would rather pay a premium for a game than get stuck paying a jacked up used price later on if it becomes "rare", not to mention that with downloaded games, likely the people who MADE the game get more money, since you should be going through less people to get the game.

[quote name='caltab']It's a really strange strategy of Sony's to mention the possibility of a "good will" program to convert UMD's to downloads months ago and not mention it again with only a few days to go before release. I feel like a big chunk of people who would consider buying a go are big into gadgets/games and already have a psp and have UMD's to convert.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='paddlefoot']Seriously, just make it insanely easy to transfer ANY UMD into a PSPGo.[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen -- can you imagine the nightmare that it would turn into for them? First, they would need to have some way to verify that you do, indeed, actually own the UMD. Since no hardware except the PSP is able to read UMDs, they would either have to require that users who want to upgrade have/retain their old PSP, or they would have to require users to mail in their UMDs. With the first option, what's to keep people from giving their UMDs to their friends so that they can all get the digital copy? With the second, the user would have to be willing to give up the UMD -- again, if Sony sends it back, the user could just pass it on to a friend. Add to that the fact that, as of yet, nowhere near all titles available on UMD are also available on PSN for download (I'm sure they're working on it, but it won't happen right away or even anytime soon). I don't see how they could make the logistics of an "upgrade" program work.

[quote name='georox']Honestly, I would rather pay a premium for a game than get stuck paying a jacked up used price later on if it becomes "rare", not to mention that with downloaded games, likely the people who MADE the game get more money, since you should be going through less people to get the game.[/QUOTE]

The vast majority of games don't follow that path. All but the rarest of games will eventually sell for less than their original MSRP.

[quote name='arcane93']Not going to happen -- can you imagine the nightmare that it would turn into for them? First, they would need to have some way to verify that you do, indeed, actually own the UMD. Since no hardware except the PSP is able to read UMDs, they would either have to require that users who want to upgrade have/retain their old PSP, or they would have to require users to mail in their UMDs. With the first option, what's to keep people from giving their UMDs to their friends so that they can all get the digital copy? With the second, the user would have to be willing to give up the UMD -- again, if Sony sends it back, the user could just pass it on to a friend. Add to that the fact that, as of yet, nowhere near all titles available on UMD are also available on PSN for download (I'm sure they're working on it, but it won't happen right away or even anytime soon). I don't see how they could make the logistics of an "upgrade" program work.[/QUOTE]

Sony is the one that mentioned this program and called it a "good will" one. I know they said they were only considering it, but If they werent going to do it I doubt they would mention it to the press. Maybe they'll announce something at TGS.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/sony-considering-umd-game-trade-in-program-for-psp-go-digital-ve/3

I didn't see anyone mention this yet, but you do know the codes works on the PSP 3000? I tried it on the core pack and it came to $145 + tax with free shipping. Tried on the Rockband bundle and that comes to $170.

The PSPgo isn't a bad system. Yes it may be a tad overpriced, but I honestly think it's because the PSP is on the road to decommission. This is a last ditch effort for Sony to procure more of the profits that the PSP has in order to save its handheld. I love my PSP, but I think once Microsofts handheld comes out, the PSP will forever be gone and the DS and Xbox handheld will duke it out.

To support the actual PSPgo... I will have 2 systems, one that is modded to do exactly what the PSPgo will be doing and the PSPgo. I don't pirate games, so don't get the wrong idea, I have hard copies of every game I ripped onto my PSPfat (I'm a collector so it's hard for me not to own them as well lol), but I can't play them online because I'm afraid I'll brick the system. The PSPgo's design, the fact that I'll be able to play my games online, and not having to haul around ALL of my UMDs are the reason I'm getting it. I'll still have my PSPFat, but probably only so I can play with my friends occasionally.

It's a great system and I think all of you on the edge will cave once the price drops, but for now, I'll enjoy my overpriced system =) lol.

No white makes me sad =(

Getting a system with over $30 off at launch is pretty nice.

Gonna spend the extra money and get one from Amazon and get a white one.

[quote name='kart007k']I can't believe this. Why PSP is priced at 179.99/249.99, when the Wii is dropping to $199.99? SONY is losing its marbles.[/QUOTE]

agree but at the same time, the Wii is over priced console too. Its GC tech with a new coat of paint. Its tech from 2001. Even at $200, its over priced. This is irrelevant as the ppls saying PSPgo is overpriced/DD will fail in this thread.

[quote name='georox']Honestly, I would rather pay a premium for a game than get stuck paying a jacked up used price later on if it becomes "rare", not to mention that with downloaded games, likely the people who MADE the game get more money, since you should be going through less people to get the game.[/QUOTE]

I have purchased many rare games used over the last decade and rarely payed more than the original MSRP.

Also, is it really the people making the game getting the money? I don't know how the contracts and such work in video games, but I would think big publishers (Sony, Nintendo, MS, Activision, EA) are the ones reaping the rewards of digital distribution, while the developer gets screwed.

bread's done
Back