Killzone 2 $39.99 at Newegg

IronSerif

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Didn't see this deal when I did a search, but please let me know if it's a repost.

Newegg is offering Killzone 2 for the PS3 for $39.99. Brand new and free shipping.

This was one of the first games I picked up with my PS3 slim and I have to say it's one of my favorite FPS.

Glad someone posted this, 40 bucks for this game is really worth it, plus if you like a lot u can buy the map pack bundle for another 12 and still be under the MSRP.

I only care about online, so I'm sure I'll play it at some point, but kind of waiting for $20-30 max.

I *LOVED* Resistance 1 (best straight-FPS I've played in years), BUT Resistance 2 apparently ruined half of everything I loved about the first one. Sounds like it's a (I'm sure still good) Halo clone now.

BUT I'm still looking forward to that, just not willing to spend full price on it since the wrecked it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I only care about online, so I'm sure I'll play it at some point, but kind of waiting for $20-30 max.

I *LOVED* Resistance 1 (best straight-FPS I've played in years), BUT Resistance 2 apparently ruined half of everything I loved about the first one. Sounds like it's a (I'm sure still good) Halo clone now.

BUT I'm still looking forward to that, just not willing to spend full price on it since the wrecked it.[/QUOTE]

Did you happen to read the thread's title before posting?

[quote name='kearns710']Isn't this suppose to be dropping to $30 on greatest hits or was that just a wishful thinking Internet rumor[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, I believe it was hitting "platinum" (similar to greatest hits in the US) status over in Europe. Haven't read any updates on Killzone 2 becoming a greatest hits title in the US, but it would definitely be welcoming news :mrgreen:

I do want this game. However, it seems like a good candidate for a Black Friday deal so I'll hold out.

[quote name='IronSerif']From what I've read, I believe it was hitting "platinum" (similar to greatest hits in the US) status over in Europe. Haven't read any updates on Killzone 2 becoming a greatest hits title in the US, but it would definitely be welcoming news :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

I'm sure its sold enough to be a greatest hits, but until sales slow down enough, Sony has no reason to drop the price.

i'll consider rebuying this if it's $20. i bought it $35 used when it came out. campaign was just good, and multiplayer was just pretty good. not to mention that god awful control lag. (i'm not going to get used to shitty controls when there are other shooters with it right).

Did they patch up this game pretty nice? I'd been holding out because I hear some great things about this game.. but hear the same amount of not so good things.

[quote name='hyunkim']i'll consider rebuying this if it's $20. i bought it $35 used when it came out. campaign was just good, and multiplayer was just pretty good. not to mention that god awful control lag. (i'm not going to get used to shitty controls when there are other shooters with it right).[/QUOTE]

I guess 'Right' = Different, the people who developed KZ2 obviously didn't like the 'On Rails' feel of other shooters so they developed their own system, you may not like it but it doesn't mean it's wrong. IMO Warzone MP mode and the classes are worth getting use to the controls.

[quote name='hyunkim']i'll consider rebuying this if it's $20. i bought it $35 used when it came out. campaign was just good, and multiplayer was just pretty good. not to mention that god awful control lag. (i'm not going to get used to shitty controls when there are other shooters with it right).[/QUOTE]

I thought they fixed that?

There is a previously released update that adds a "High Precision" control option to the game. I had a hard time getting into the game until this option became available -- it completely changed the dynamic of the game for me; I found it far more enjoyable.

Here's a blurb from Kotaku on the change, as well as the official post on the Playstation blog.

First game had environment variety, player variety (sniper,grunt,all-around guy, etc), and an ok plot.

KZ2 is georgeous but the story makes you actively hate most of the characters and most of the variety / any color has been sucked out of the environments.

A technical accomplishment with little personality, much like the star wars movies of the last decade.

Played through the single player and was largely unimpressed (there were some great moments though) and gave multi-player a try but kept finding myself wanting to play CoD4 instead. $40 sounds about right, only wish I had waited and not paid $55 at release XP

[quote name='Wolfpup']I only care about online, so I'm sure I'll play it at some point, but kind of waiting for $20-30 max.

BUT I'm still looking forward to that, just not willing to spend full price on it since the wrecked it.[/QUOTE]

I have absolutely no idea how you could love Resistance and not be able to get into Resistance 2. The sequel is leaps and bounds better than the first.

As for KZ2, I loved it. $39.99 is a great price. Like most have said, single player is alright, but multiplayer is fantastic.

[quote name='help1']Think of this game as a graphically superior, slower, heavier CoD4. And lots less replay value.[/QUOTE]

KZ2 has way more replay value than COD4 IMO. The enemy AI in Killzone is top notch (on the harder difficulty settings), so the firefights don't play out exactly the same way every time.

Does COD4 even have any AI? It feels like the enemies just spawn, run to their designated position and start firing away/tossing grenades. I'm not a fan of the series.

[quote name='help1']Think of this game as a graphically superior, slower, heavier CoD4. And lots less replay value.[/QUOTE]

I love KZ2, but i wholeheartedly agree. Even after beating the game, the controls still felt very "off" to me for some reason - even after increasing the sensitivity and messing around with the button layouts. I didn't feel like I had as much control over the aiming aspect as I do when I play CoD4 (which, after playing KZ2, Bioshock, and others remains what I consider the best FPS this gen so far). I think KZ2 has better enemy AI though.

Still, $40 for KZ2 is a steal. I paid a little over $30 for it used, but probably would have just bought it new at $40 if this deal existed then. Beautiful graphics, fulfilling single player campaign. Can't speak of the online mode since i haven't tried it yet.

Ah yes, I should alter my statement. Killzone 2 isn't a bad game by any means, but my comments about it being "a graphically superior, slower, heavier CoD4 with lots less replay value" apply to the multiplayer side of things.

[quote name='frankmackeyspam']KZ2 has way more replay value than COD4 IMO. The enemy AI in Killzone is top notch (on the harder difficulty settings), so the firefights don't play out exactly the same way every time.

Does COD4 even have any AI? It feels like the enemies just spawn, run to their designated position and start firing away/tossing grenades. I'm not a fan of the series.[/QUOTE]
I thought the AI in Killzone 2 was pretty mediocre. The most spectacular part was the enemies constantly charging me and be cheap asses and only peaking out from cover the second I went back under mine. The only FPS I've played this gen that the AI has really stood out was Halo 3. Seems like people praise the AI because of the ridiculous flac the game's AI got when it was first demonstrated -- probably because there was nothing else bad to say about the game.

Fantastic game though, and easily the best exclusive FPS on the PS3. As said before, single player is worth a play through and multiplayer will keep you hooked for a good while. Some classes are a bit rigged, and the game gets too hectic when it has more than 24 players, but it's good variety to COD.

EDIT: To clarify, I haven't played KZ2 on the hardest difficulty setting, and its AI is still miles above COD's.

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']I thought the AI in Killzone 2 was pretty mediocre. The most spectacular part was the enemies constantly charging me and be cheap asses and only peaking out from cover the second I went back under mine. The only FPS I've played this gen that the AI has really stood out was Halo 3. Seems like people praise the AI because of the ridiculous flac the game's AI got when it was first demonstrated -- probably because there was nothing else bad to say about the game.

Fantastic game though, and easily the best exclusive FPS on the PS3. As said before, single player is worth a play through and multiplayer will keep you hooked for a good while. Some classes are a bit rigged, and the game gets too hectic when it has more than 24 players, but it's good variety to COD.

EDIT: To clarify, I haven't played KZ2 on the hardest difficulty setting, and its AI is still miles above COD's.[/QUOTE]

Shh, you can't say you like Halo 3 on the internet! People will hate you!

Really?! I find COD the most lackluster series around. The online is so repetitive that I can't play it for more then a few days before moving on from boredom. The entire COD4 campaign got so mindless for me I felt like I was stuck watching a soap opera on daytime TV. I think if the entire series didn't have a everyone wins in the end system (XP for all) it would have been a more forgettable game in the gaming community. IMO of course...

Sorry for the rant. KZ2 is a great singleplayer and online game. You should find it well narrated and deep.

[quote name='horns456']Really?! I find COD the most lackluster series around. The online is so repetitive that I can't play it for more then a few days before moving on from boredom. The entire COD4 campaign got so mindless for me I felt like I was stuck watching a soap opera on daytime TV. I think if the entire series didn't have a everyone wins in the end system (XP for all) it would have been a more forgettable game in the gaming community. IMO of course...[/QUOTE]

No, no, I agree with that as well. I don't really play campaign of video games often, mostly just the multiplayer (especially for big name FPS games) and I found that after I got level 40ish on CoD that there was nothing else to be done in the game. However, I felt that with Killzone it got to a certain point that leveling up made the game worse.

[quote name='help1']However, I felt that with Killzone it got to a certain point that leveling up made the game worse.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree to an extent with that. KZ2 claims to be a class based game, but technically you have to unlock all these classes and their abilities to be able to be all these classes. I would have preferred to have all the classes open to me and the extra abilities to be harder to unlock, so as a new player I don't get restrictions like not being able to be a sniper...

[quote name='horns456']I'd agree to an extent with that. KZ2 claims to be a class based game, but technically you have to unlock all these classes and their abilities to be able to be all these classes. I would have preferred to have all the classes open to me and the extra abilities to be harder to unlock, so as a new player I don't get restrictions like not being able to be a sniper...[/QUOTE]

Unlocking the classes is great. Gets you to play more than one class.

Great game.

[quote name='horns456']Really?! I find COD the most lackluster series around. The online is so repetitive that I can't play it for more then a few days before moving on from boredom. The entire COD4 campaign got so mindless for me I felt like I was stuck watching a soap opera on daytime TV. I think if the entire series didn't have a everyone wins in the end system (XP for all) it would have been a more forgettable game in the gaming community. IMO of course...

Sorry for the rant. KZ2 is a great singleplayer and online game. You should find it well narrated and deep.[/QUOTE]

We all obviously have different opinions, but i thought CoD4 had more pivotal moments than KZ2. KZ2 had constant action, but lacked memorable scenes scenes IMO.
The part where the nuke goes off and kills off one of your characters and the final shootout on a moving jeep as the jet shoots at you from behind, for example.
It's hard to reconcile with the slow-as-a-sap like progression of a soap opera.

Glad to hear someone else say CoD is lackluster. I base that ENTIRELY on the single player as I have zero interest in death match, but from that, both Call of Duty 2 and 4 are two of the most boring, generic FPS around. Spastic action, no story at all, super boring weapons and scenarios, etc. It annoys me, because I enjoyed all supposedly "bad" FPS like Perfect Dark Zero, Haze, and even Turning Point more than Call of Duty. Even by action game standards there's no story, and I hate that kind of spastic action I didn't mind the way Resistance 1 mixes in SOME of that, but it also has the more deliberate stuff I love (and even the spastic stuff was more memorable).

bread's done
Back