Rock Band 2 SE $99 @ Gamestop IN STORE

TheOtherZach

CAG Veteran
I might be the last person on the planet to have found out about this, but I've been shopping for the Rock Band 2 Special edition for the past week or so and had no idea about this. Gamestop has had RB2 for $99 on their website for awhile, but the XBox 360 version has been sold out. Much to my surprise when I happened to walk into the store, they had one left with a "New low price" sign next to it. Needless to say, the trigger was pulled.

So disregard if you already knew about it, but head over to your local GS if you're looking for RB2 SE. Every other place I checked still had it priced at $159.99

I'd rather pay the extra $20 for the RB2 set (over the $80 for RB1SE + RB2 game). It's much better quality. Gonna have to check this out.

I price matched this price from Gamestop and bought at Best Buy last weekend. (BB's price was $139, I think). Awesome price considering everything you get.

Also, be sure to rent Rock Band 1 and pay the $5 on the PS Store to download the 55 or so tracks off the RB1 disc. It will play as DLC on Rock Band 2.

The guy working the register at Gamestop seemed to think that this was a universal drop. Odd that nobody else is listing the MSRP as $99, though.

I'm hoping this also leads to a drop on the standalone wireless guitars, I've been looking to pick up a replacement for a while.

The RB 2 SE was $99 at most major retailers but saw a price increase when Rock Band: Beatles was released as to not severely undercut the price of the two Beatles bundles. Just my two cents.

Also, consider that this comes with the superior WIRELESS Rock Band 2 hardware (wireless drums and wireless guitar). The Rock Band 1 instruments (which, oddly enough, are the ones they include with Beatles Rock Band) are not wireless.

I picked this up at GameStop around the time The Beatles: Rock Band was released and I've been enjoying it since! I'm definitely glad the drums are wireless.

Sam's Club is always YMMV but I thought I would mention here for any others that were looking for it - they have it there for 89.99 or possibly a dollar or two less. Definitely had an 8 as the first number though :). It had a seasonal tag on it and was repriced at that a week ago at least in Lafayette, Indiana.

$99 is a great price if you have credit at GS. If you have any from BBV or HWV sales, trade in 12 games for an extra $60 in credit and hope those 12 get you the $40 extra. Maybe you can find on craigslist cheaper, but it'd be used. Definitely rent RB1 and transfer the songs over.

Do the Rock Band 2 instruments use batteries or do you charge them? Was thinking about picking this up tomorrow and wanted to know before. Thx :)

[quote name='Oside_hunter']Do the Rock Band 2 instruments use batteries or do you charge them? Was thinking about picking this up tomorrow and wanted to know before. Thx :)[/QUOTE]

The Rock Band 2 wireless guitar and wireless drums both take 3 AA batteries each (so the RB2 box includes 6 AA batteries) . No problems with range for me.

You can buy a set of rechargeable batteries and charger if you'd like.

The whole set is packaged ridiculously and plan on 20 minutes of unboxing / setup.

After talking to them, they will continue to get rock band 2 bundle sets for $99 but once the shipment of world tour band sets are gone they will not get anymore in because of band hero.

[quote name='BluePotato']The Rock Band 2 wireless guitar and wireless drums both take 3 AA batteries each (so the RB2 box includes 6 AA batteries) . No problems with range for me.

You can buy a set of rechargeable batteries and charger if you'd like.

The whole set is packaged ridiculously and plan on 20 minutes of unboxing / setup.[/QUOTE]

This is the truth. Their packaging engineer needs to be sacked.

[quote name='BluePotato']Also, consider that this comes with the superior WIRELESS Rock Band 2 hardware (wireless drums and wireless guitar). The Rock Band 1 instruments (which, oddly enough, are the ones they include with Beatles Rock Band) are not wireless.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea. And to think I almost thought potentially about thinking about perhaps buying the Beatles Rockband SE bundle one day maybe.

Now only one questions remains... which instruments are better World Tour or Rockband 2?

[quote name='johnsdoe00']I had no idea. And to think I almost thought potentially about thinking about perhaps buying the Beatles Rockband SE bundle one day maybe.

Now only one questions remains... which instruments are better World Tour or Rockband 2?[/QUOTE]

The Beattles Rockband SE just came out, and I'm pretty sure that this new kit contains the Rockband 2 instruments. Perhaps the original Beattles kit contained Rock Band 1 instruments, but that isn't the case with the Beattles Rockband SE.

[quote name='RCS0926']The Beattles Rockband SE just came out, and I'm pretty sure that this new kit contains the Rockband 2 instruments. Perhaps the original Beattles kit contained Rock Band 1 instruments, but that isn't the case with the Beattles Rockband SE.[/QUOTE]

Now I'm totally confused. There's only one The Beatles Rock Band Special Limited Edition (or whatever) as far as I know... now do they come with RB1 or RB2 instruments? Wired or wireless? I already had a Rock Band 1 band kit... I didn't like the drums or the guitar.

[quote name='johnsdoe00']Now I'm totally confused. There's only one The Beatles Rock Band Special Limited Edition (or whatever) as far as I know... now do they come with RB1 or RB2 instruments? Wired or wireless? I already had a Rock Band 1 band kit... I didn't like the drums or the guitar.[/QUOTE]
The Beatles Special Edition, which comes in a huge ass box, contains drums with chrome finish, a replica of McCartney's bass (both wireless), a mic, mic stand, and of course the game.

There is a value edition available at Walmart, Best Buy, and some other players. It comes with RB1 instruments which are shit. It's $160, IIRC, so you're better off getting RB2 at GS and the Beatles Game separate. Might be a few more $$$ but totally worth it for the better, wireless instruments. The Beatles Special Edition is only for those who are huge Beatle fans really.

[quote name='icedrake523']The Beatles Special Edition, which comes in a huge ass box, contains drums with chrome finish, a replica of McCartney's bass (both wireless), a mic, mic stand, and of course the game.

There is a value edition available at Walmart, Best Buy, and some other players. It comes with RB1 instruments which are shit. It's $160, IIRC, so you're better off getting RB2 at GS and the Beatles Game separate. Might be a few more $$$ but totally worth it for the better, wireless instruments. The Beatles Special Edition is only for those who are huge Beatle fans really.[/QUOTE]

Awesome man thanks for clearing that up. I'm definitely going to take your advice and get RB2 Bundle and Beatles stand alone. Any insight into World Tour vs Rock Band 2, though?

^RB2 is better IMO.. because of DLC and you can rip RB1 and other trackpacks for a small fee..

Only GH5 can rip the older GH titles..

[quote name='gi60']^RB2 is better IMO.. because of DLC and you can rip RB1 and other trackpacks for a small fee..

Only GH5 can rip the older GH titles..[/QUOTE]

I think he meant the instruments, I cannot say what is better between WT and RB2, but I can say RB1>GH3 guitar.

EDIT: Also, from what I know (which is possibly not 100% accurate), GH5 can only get SOME of the songs from GHWT and only WT, but it can use ALL of the DLC from WT.

[quote name='johnsdoe00']Awesome man thanks for clearing that up. I'm definitely going to take your advice and get RB2 Bundle and Beatles stand alone. Any insight into World Tour vs Rock Band 2, though?[/QUOTE]

Game wise, RB2 is better. You can upload all but 3 or 4 songs from RB1 (for $5) to your HDD and play them with the RB2 disc. I don't get a lot of songs from DLC but I think RB has a wider selection. If there are songs you want on WT, you can get it for dirt cheap. It's not bad but RB2 is better.

For instruments, I prefer GH guitars over RB. RB2's isn't bad, but I don't like its looser strum bar. The GH ones are firmer but they click (I don't mind it). You can find the GH3 Les Pauls around for cheap. I like the WT one since it's bigger but I don't know how the problems are with those. GH5 one is about the same except for a different (ugly) faceplate and rubber-covered strum bar.

The RB2 drums are the way to go. I don't drum since I suck so I can't tell you much. I do recall reading a lot of problems with the WT drums when they came out, don't know if they're fixed. I like the way the RB2 drums look. 4 pads look better than 3 peds and 2 quarters of symbols. If you want symbols, you can get them for the RB2 drums (they don't add more notes though).

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I think he meant the instruments, I cannot say what is better between WT and RB2, but I can say RB1>GH3 guitar.[/QUOTE]

I strongly disagree with that. I got my GH3 guitar late last year and I fixed the loose neck before I used it so maybe that is why I never had any problems with it. The RB1 guitar I despise. I'd rather use the GH2 guitar over that.

Does the PS3 or 360 version have better instruments? Are the 360/PS3 releases otherwise the same? I haven't been able to find much information about that on Google.

I just picked it up myself, thanks to the trade 4 get $20 extra I traded in 8 games from the BBV B1G1 and paid only $5!! WOOT!

P.S how weird is it that I got $12 credit for a game I got at BBV for $2.50!?!? LOL

Yeah guys. I meant the instruments. I already plan on getting both games... but I hated the Rock Band 1 instruments... the guitar sucked so much. Guitar Hero guitars have always felt better to me. Is the RB2 guitar a lot different from the RB1 guitar?
Right now I'm really leaning towards buying the RB2 set instead of the World Tour one...

Okay, folks. I play a LOT of music games. Here's my take on instruments.

For guitars, my favorites are the GH3 and GH5 guitars. They have a wonderful digital strumbar, and the buttons are very quiet, easy to feel, and easy to slide. The wired GH2 X-plorer is pretty good, too, but it's louder. I'm not a fan of the strum bars on the RB1, RB2, or GHWT guitars, nor do I love the buttons on the RB1 and RB2 guitars, but I'm sure one could get used to the buttons. The strum bars are too soft. Now, there is a problem with the GH3 guitars: the connection between the base and the neck gets weak over time, which can cause it to drop about 1% of notes. Not a problem for a beginner, but a huge dealbreaker for pros. I actually soldered mine on. So, the verdict here is the GH5 guitar.

Drums! The RB1 drums are loud and don't bounce very well. The RB2 drums are quieter and bounce very well. The important difference is that GHWT and GH5 handle the four-pad setup of RB drums a lot better than RB handles the 2-and-3 setup of the GH drums, so if you're only getting one set for both series (and I for one can't be arsed to have a bunch of drumsets around the house), go with the RB2 drums.

All mics are the same.

For software, Rock Band 2, hands down, no contest, take it to the bank. Then rent or borrow RB1 to rip its songs to the HDD. GH5 is a good deal because it comes with the best guitar on the market, and it's a fun game that's worth the money. RB2 is just worth way more.

[quote name='mkelehan']Now, there is a problem with the GH3 guitars: the connection between the base and the neck gets weak over time, which can cause it to drop about 1% of notes. Not a problem for a beginner, but a huge dealbreaker for pros. I actually soldered mine on. So, the verdict here is the GH5 guitar.[/QUOTE]

The loose neck on the GH3 guitar is an easy fix. I did this before I started using it and have had no problems. And considering you can get 2 GH3 guitars and the WT game for $20, they're a good option.

I agree with the rest of your post. I do like the WT guitar though. I didn't notice a difference between its strum bar and the others.

[quote name='icedrake523']The loose neck on the GH3 guitar is an easy fix. I did this before I started using it and have had no problems. And considering you can get 2 GH3 guitars and the WT game for $20, they're a good option.

I agree with the rest of your post. I do like the WT guitar though. I didn't notice a difference between its strum bar and the others.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware of that fix... interesting. That's a great preventative measure. It was too late for mine, though, so I had to use wire glue to glue the contacts on, since they had worn so hard on each other.

Where can you get 2 GH3 guitars for $20?

[quote name='mkelehan']I wasn't aware of that fix... interesting. That's a great preventative measure. It was too late for mine, though, so I had to use wire glue to glue the contacts on, since they had worn so hard on each other.

Where can you get 2 GH3 guitars for $20?[/QUOTE]

I too am curious as to where you can get 2 GH3 guitars plus the WT game for $20...unless we're talking Target clearance, which is far from a guarantee. I've been to five Target stores over the past week and not one of them had any bundles left...

i feel like there still many of these rb2 set available in retail everywhere, so it may well have another universal drop, then i'll might get it. granted its a boring game playing alone(and sad) but i want to play drums on the metallica game

It has been $100 for a while. I think I got mine for $89 several months ago at GS. It's an okay deal, the price has become the norm so I wouldn't jump on it like its the greatest deal of the century.

[quote name='Kamelot']It has been $100 for a while. I think I got mine for $89 several months ago at GS. It's an okay deal, the price has become the norm so I wouldn't jump on it like its the greatest deal of the century.[/QUOTE]

not really...i don't know about where you live, but here in eastern PA best buy has it for $139.99, and target/walmart for $159.99. i'd hardly say that gamestop's $99.99 has "become the norm."

[quote name='mkelehan']I wasn't aware of that fix... interesting. That's a great preventative measure. It was too late for mine, though, so I had to use wire glue to glue the contacts on, since they had worn so hard on each other.

Where can you get 2 GH3 guitars for $20?[/QUOTE]

Target has the 2 Les Pauls w/ GHWT on clearance for $22.xx. YMMV. The one I went to only had 1 360 bundle and 1 PS3 bundle on the shelf.

I noticed that the PS3 & Xbox 360 Guitar Hero World Tour full band kits are now $100 ($99.99 for Cheapy...)

It's back on! I noticed this morning that Gamestop lowered their prices on drums to $49.99, like everywhere else. On a whim, I searched for the whole set, and they have Rock Band 2 Special Edition sets priced for $100! I returned my drums to Best Buy, and bought the whole set with a price match. I think this is the best deal going right now.

Yea. When I first saw this thread I went to TRU and got the same deal. HUGE waste of money! I wasted 6000+ points on a bunch of songs and ended up selling the whole thing on craigslist for $70 in perfect condtion. Huge waste of money to me: I only play the drums and would rather play other things then sitting playing songs all the time.

Huge waste of money!! I love music, but I just stay away from these games now, I don't even let myself get tempted. I want RB Beatles, but I know it's just a waste.

[quote name='SMITTYBLAZE']
Huge waste of money!! I love music, but I just stay away from these games now, I don't even let myself get tempted. I want RB Beatles, but I know it's just a waste.[/QUOTE]

then don't buy/play them

does anyone think that these will be cheaper on black friday? i have RB2 but use the GH:WT controllers, and this is the cheapest way to get the RB2 controllers, which i would like to have.

bread's done
Back