Do you think there will be another price drop for PS3 for upcoming Black Friday?

korn4004

CAG Veteran
Ok right now, XBOX 360 ELITE is only $250. I have neither xbox 360 or ps3. I have the enough money, and I was saving till the black friday for ps3 slim. But XBOX DEAL is so good right. Do you guys think there will be better deal for ps3 during the Black Friday or should I get xbox 360 right now? I don't mind getting 360 except for the God of War 3 and Gran Turismo, because my main reason for getting these new gen console was the Tekken 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm well for 50 dollars more the ps3 sure does do a lot more, but i'm not really gonna state all the pros and cons. If, like you say, the main reason is just tekken 6, then just get the 360.

ugh after submitting, i've changed my mind. Not to sound like a sony fanboy or anything, but the ps3 does ALOT more and for 50 bucks more? Come on, you will have to spend that and then some just for the wireless adapter and xbox live (if you are gonna be playing online with tekken 6 right?) plus the play and charge kits for the controllers and blah blah blah, don't get me wrong, 360 has plenty going for it, but if it were me, i would get the ps3.

I don't really think we'll see the PS3 below $299 anytime soon. Black Friday maybe, but I think we'll see bundles versus price drops.

A good portion of that $50 you saved will go to Xbox Live membership if you want to play online (I think $25 at least. And then you'll need to pay $25 every year after that as a recurring costs, thereby costing you more money in the long run.

If you don't play online, I'd still recommend the PS3 as I think the lineup of future releases is stronger than the 360's. So take a look and see which systems' games lights your bum on fire.

In the long run, MS will screw you over. If you want to upgrade you HD, your options are pretty much limited and expensive- they're charging $130 for a 120GB HD when you can get 320GB laptop HD for $50 for the PS3. If you want wireless, that's another $100 whereas the PS3 has it built in. If you want rechargeable batteries, $20 more vs Dual Shocks which already have them.

And there's the annual $50 for XBL if you want to play online too. Yes, the overall XBL service has more features and but the PSN works perfectly well for online gaming.

Also, can you please change the thread title, right now it makes it look like there's going to be another price drop.

$250 for an Elite is a really incredible price.

You won't see a PS3 drop anytime soon either, because Sony is already scraping the profit margin to get it to $299.

On systems.....the 360 has better games and the PS3 has a blu-ray. If you are mainly buying it for games, the 360 is your best bet.

[quote name='korn4004']Ok right now, XBOX 360 ELITE is only $250. I have neither xbox 360 or ps3. I have the enough money, and I was saving till the black friday for ps3 slim. But XBOX DEAL is so good right. Do you guys think there will be better deal for ps3 during the Black Friday or should I get xbox 360 right now? I don't mind getting 360 except for the God of War 3 and Gran Turismo, because my main reason for getting these new gen console was the Tekken 6.[/QUOTE]

You can find most of the things that the others who replied said will cost you more for cheap if you check out the Sears and Kmart threads and just shop smart for yourself. You never have to pay MSRP for anything if you're smart about it.

Hell. I found one of the 120gb HDD's for the 360 for $15 from a local Kmart. They're on clearance there and at Sears.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You can find most of the things that the others who replied said will cost you more for cheap if you check out the Sears and Kmart threads and just shop smart for yourself. You never have to pay MSRP for anything if you're smart about it.

Hell. I found one of the 120gb HDD's for the 360 for $15 from a local Kmart. They're on clearance there and at Sears.[/QUOTE]

But those are very, very YMMV. I've searched every K-Mart and Sears I come across, and have never seen a clearance hard drive. Sure, you can find XBL subscriptions, wireless adapters, and hard drives on sale/clearance, but you either don't have to look for can find regularly priced stuff for the PS3.\

To the OP, here's what I'd suggest. Get a pen and paper, browse IGN or metacritic or whatever, and make a list of games you want to buy for each system. Then factor in console differences, such as Blu Ray on one, Netflix on the other, etc. Become as well-informed about the consoles as you can. Then make your own decision, instead of relying on random internet people.

For Black Friday you might see a $299 PS3 with gift card or game included, but I wouldn't expect a major price drop. Even MS is only doing this $50 rebate for a short time to clear out current Elites before they release the Holiday Bundle.

If by price drop you meant Amazon/someone else putting together a good deal or bundle, then yeah I can see that happening for Black Friday. If you can wait till then it might pay off, and if it doesn't happen then you won't have lost anything but gaming time. You may be able to save up more money between now & then as well.

[quote name='Pucker']On systems.....the 360 has better games and the PS3 has a blu-ray. If you are mainly buying it for games, the 360 is your best bet.[/QUOTE]
Don't spread lies. Both systems share the bulk of their game libraries, so there's plenty to choose from either way.

[quote name='Salamando3000']To the OP, here's what I'd suggest. Get a pen and paper, browse IGN or metacritic or whatever, and make a list of games you want to buy for each system. Then factor in console differences, such as Blu Ray on one, Netflix on the other, etc. Become as well-informed about the consoles as you can. Then make your own decision, instead of relying on random internet people.[/QUOTE]
Seconded. Research the games that interest you most, nobody can do this for you.

You want GOWIII and GT5, and Tekken 6 is also on the PS3. So that's 3 games you already have stated you want for the PS3, whereas only one of those games will be for the 360. Right now it looks like you should be leaning towards getting a PS3. But as others have said maybe you should look into the games exclusive to each system and see which system's games you like more. you didn't name any FPS, so if you don't really like those types of games you should probably go with the PS3 since the FPS is the 360's main advantage.

Ultimately, you can't make a wrong decision here. Bottom line... leave out the 'omg, blu-ray, netflix, play and charge kit, xbox live' stuff and just look at the exclusive games. Which has a bigger list you want to play? That's your answer.

Having both, I can say that I simply prefer the 360 over the PS3. I just happen to like the set-up of the system (interface), online, and the controller more. Does that mean I hate any of that stuff on PS3? Nope, just don't like it *as much*.

To reiterate: both are solid systems. Figure out what you want to play, and buy that console. Don't anagonize over it.

[quote name='007']Ultimately, you can't make a wrong decision here. Bottom line... leave out the 'omg, blu-ray, netflix, play and charge kit, xbox live' stuff and just look at the exclusive games. Which has a bigger list you want to play? That's your answer.

Having both, I can say that I simply prefer the 360 over the PS3. I just happen to like the set-up of the system (interface), online, and the controller more. Does that mean I hate any of that stuff on PS3? Nope, just don't like it *as much*.

To reiterate: both are solid systems. Figure out what you want to play, and buy that console. Don't anagonize over it.[/QUOTE]

/thread.

[quote name='Pucker']$250 for an Elite is a really incredible price.

You won't see a PS3 drop anytime soon either, because Sony is already scraping the profit margin to get it to $299.

On systems.....the 360 has better games and the PS3 has a blu-ray. If you are mainly buying it for games, the 360 is your best bet.[/QUOTE]

This isn't 2007 anymore :roll:. If anyone with half a brain objectively looks at the situation, he'll see that the PS3 not only has just as many great games as the 360 right now but the upcoming PS3 games blow the all the 360 stuff away (except for Mass Effect 2 but that's on PC and has a good chance of eventually coming to PS3).

On topic, as others have said, the 360 ends up being the more expensive overall option down the road and it's also not as reliable. If you can get only one system, get the PS3 and if you have money later on get a 360 because it also has some fun games.

It also depends if you have a gaming PC like a few others hinted at. Personally, I have a PC that can handle all current gen games with ease, so a lot of the Microsoft "exclusive" library is demolished. In most cases, I prefer the PC counter-part for the controls in competitive play (A la Modern Warfare). This is the downside when 360 games can be ported to the PC so easily -- they normally will be for easy profit (since most people who have a 360 won't pirate the game just to get the "experience" I believe to make it a detriment to profits).

For example, Mass Effect? Prefer the PC (Prefer the interface).
Left 4 Dead/Valve? Prefer the PC (Free content).
Modern Warfare? Better controls.

So really, the only exclusive franchises I consider the 360 to have is Gears, Halo, and Spliter Cell (and a couple XBL titles). So, to me the investment for 3 games where I can similar experiences on the PS3 doesn't really justify the console much (especially when 2/3 of those are online centric games that involve paying a subscription when modern warfare is a better shooter along with arguably killzone 2 for diverse multiplayer).

Also, take into consideration, especially if your playing online, what your friends have. For myself, all my online friends except my brother and a single friend own a 360 instead, so I rarely play online with my ps3 for a lack of anyone to play with (random deathmatch doesn't do it for me).

Taking the PC into account is a moot point. Consoles don't compete with PCs in terms of sales. Also the vast majority of console gamers dont game on their PCs and probably dont have PCs that can handle any/all current gen games with ease. That arguement works for you but not for the general populace of gamers these devices are geared towards.

Its says a lot when the PS3 in general is a better deal but the 360 is still overall kicking its ass. I think it has to do with a lot of the advertising. The vast majority of 360 advertising that I have seen has been done in the shadow of a game. You see a commercial for a cool looking game and at the very end they show the round "X" symbol and every once in a while the actual console. Sony seems to mostly advertise just the system. They rarely attach a game to the advertisement to give a gamer a reason to become attached to the console. It is like Sony thinks if they show you a piece of hardware you should automatically assume there is great software to go with it. The average consumer needs to be spoon fed and I think it is asking a lot to think they make such an assumption.

When a consumer walks into a store going only off the advertising they will attach the Xbox to the games they saw on tv while attaching the PS3 to a bunch of quirky commercials about itself. This in addition to the cheaper price tag (the avg consumer isnt thinking about long term costs for online play, accessories, etc) puts the Xbox out front every time. I know this is dumb but at the end of the day the majority of people will probably look at it this way. You have to take the standpoint of the masses, not just yourself.

Eh...the PC was the reason I sold my Xbox back in the day and part of the reason I haven't repurchased a 360 for a few of the games I want. It is a large factor in many gamers purchasing habits when it comes to PS3 vs. 360.

Back in the day it was KOTOR and Fable and now days its Mass Effect 2 (hopefully Fable 2)....at least for me.

I already had four 360's die on me and it doesn't make sense for me to buy yet another one for $299/$249 just for a couple of games I can play on my shitty Dell. I don't care about graphics or online leaderboards, I just wanna play the game for fun and the story.

While it might be a moot point for the average consumer, its not for actual gamers.

I'm an "actual gamer" and don't do any pc gamer. I'm sure the vast majority is in the same boat. Statistically you are probably the minority.

[quote name='Malik112099']I'm an "actual gamer" and don't do any pc gamer. I'm sure the vast majority is in the same boat. Statistically you are probably the minority.[/QUOTE]

Your sentence is a contradiction...

Gaming wise, I have a PC with a ATI 4850, so I can run just about every game with decent settings, but I also have a 360, PS3, PSP, and DS. I play the PS3 and PC equally in terms of hours for different games. No PC gaming = casual gamer in my opinion. There are far too many exclusives on the PC that people should experience.

If the only reason your getting a next gen console is for tekken 6 then you have to go with a ps3. Better D-Pad makes every fighting game instantly better on the PS3, free online and the whole point of figting games is competition. Most people who own both consoles buy their fighting games on the ps3 so you'll have more people to play with, just look at the sales of any multi platorm fighting game, they sell better on the ps3 despite the 8 millions smaller install base. And lastly, you'll get the better competition, due to the ps3s success in Japan and the japaneses insane skills in fighting games, plus all those fighting game tournaments are held on ps3s so it's what all the pros play on.

[quote name='jrsmaster411']If the only reason your getting a next gen console is for tekken 6 then you have to go with a ps3. Better D-Pad makes every fighting game instantly better on the PS3, free online and the whole point of figting games is competition. Most people who own both consoles buy their fighting games on the ps3 so you'll have more people to play with, just look at the sales of any multi platorm fighting game, they sell better on the ps3 despite the 8 millions smaller install base. And lastly, you'll get the better competition, due to the ps3s success in Japan and the japaneses insane skills in fighting games, plus all those fighting game tournaments are held on ps3s so it's what all the pros play on.[/QUOTE]

I must be in the minority then, since I only really play fighting games for the SINGLE player experience. Once I've beaten a fighting game once or twice, then I don't go back to it for a while.

I've re-downloaded MKII to my PS3 since I got the slim, but I haven't played it for more than maybe 4-5 hours tops since I did. I don't even DARE touch the online multiplayer mode, since I know the only other times I tried it I got my ass handed to me. But that's because I'm a move spammer from wayyyyy back.

Mind you, if more fighting games put in an RPG mode ala MK Deception on the PS2, then I might find more reason to actually buy them nowadays, but otherwise there's little replay value in most of these button mashers.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I must be in the minority then, since I only really play fighting games for the SINGLE player experience. Once I've beaten a fighting game once or twice, then I don't go back to it for a while.

I've re-downloaded MKII to my PS3 since I got the slim, but I haven't played it for more than maybe 4-5 hours tops since I did. I don't even DARE touch the online multiplayer mode, since I know the only other times I tried it I got my ass handed to me. But that's because I'm a move spammer from wayyyyy back.

Mind you, if more fighting games put in an RPG mode ala MK Deception on the PS2, then I might find more reason to actually buy them nowadays, but otherwise there's little replay value in most of these button mashers.[/QUOTE]
I don't know if you've realized this or not but it sounds like your not a fighting game fan.

About the only fighting game I've actually liked(and I tried Soul Calibur wayyyy back on number 2 and Street Fighter even further back than that)is the MK series. Aside from that game series, the only other fighting game I was looking forward to is the one that is my avatar on CAG(Thrill Kill).

Unfortunately, that was cancelled after fuckin' EA bought Virgin Interactive and later on a crappy game called Wu Tang: Shaolin Style was released using it's engine.

You being excited for thrill kill is definite proof that your not a fighting game fan. It sound like your just a fan of over the top gore. EA did us all a favor by canceling that game.

I like games where I have special moves that don't require me to break my f'n wrist to perform them(ala the half circle or so bs to get fireballs in SF) and yes I DO like mature rated games, though I'm not exactly into them because of the over the top gore.

[quote name='jrsmaster411']If the only reason your getting a next gen console is for tekken 6 then you have to go with a ps3. Better D-Pad makes every fighting game instantly better on the PS3, free online and the whole point of figting games is competition. Most people who own both consoles buy their fighting games on the ps3 so you'll have more people to play with, just look at the sales of any multi platorm fighting game, they sell better on the ps3 despite the 8 millions smaller install base. And lastly, you'll get the better competition, due to the ps3s success in Japan and the japaneses insane skills in fighting games, plus all those fighting game tournaments are held on ps3s so it's what all the pros play on.[/QUOTE]

I'm going with PS3

[quote name='korn4004']I'm going with PS3[/QUOTE]

If you already have the cash in the bank, you may want to check out the Sony Card deal. If you buy the PS3 off of the sonystyle.com site after getting a new Sony Card, you can get $100 credit back on your balance.

There's a few threads dedicated to this on CAG.

wow people buying a console for a fighting game thats pretty weird. id say get a 360 since the price of the ps3 ont drop again anytime soon and if you cant find a deal here on cag that meets your prefered price range then go for the 360. is tekken 6 even going to be any good.

I totally agree with IAmThe... on how I don't really like fighting games since you have to pretty much get a fucking masters decree in fighting to remember all those moves to become good. I want it where the best button masher wins. That's why my favorite fighting game and in my top 10 favorite games is 'Power Stones' for the Dreamcast.

Good choice going with the ps3. I've had a 360 for years and a ps3 for weeks, and I like the ps3 a lot more. Better exclusives, Little Big Planet is the best platformer, Demon's Souls is the best RPG, MGS4 is the best game period. Then you have Uncharted 2 which is shaping up to be the best 3rd person shooter and likely the GOTY. Halo 3 is the best 1st person shooter, but Killzone 2 is a lot of fun as well.

And I personally think the ps3 is far more future proof, with superior hardware in terms of quality and power, and a disc format with 5 times the storage of the 360. The ps3 already has the better game library and it doesn't have the install base of the 360. Now that the slim is out and the cost is down, developers are really going to jump on board. I think in 2-3 years the gap is going to be massive, and I think in about 3-4 years Microsoft will need to put out a new console to keep up.

This is all just my opinion of course. I don't consider myself a sony fanboy, I like the 360 and I'm glad I bought it because of those GTA expansions coming out which look great.

I'll just make one fanboyish statement to top off this pro-ps3 post. Hopefully they don't hold back with gta5 to accomadate 360 users, I want them to make it massive and just have multiple discs for the 360 version.

[quote name='Malik112099']It is sickening the amount of blatant fanboyism that occurs in the PS3 forums on this site.[/QUOTE]

As opposed to the 360 and PC? I'd have to say the elitist mentality of PC gamers by far rivals any other form of fanboyism...though from a financial standpoint, the PS3 is hard to pass on compared to the 360 (feature-for-feature).

[quote name='SynGamer']As opposed to the 360 and PC? I'd have to say the elitist mentality of PC gamers by far rivals any other form of fanboyism...though from a financial standpoint, the PS3 is hard to pass on compared to the 360 (feature-for-feature).[/QUOTE]

im talking about just on this forum. The majority of people on the 360 and PC forum dont suck their respective machine's dick NEAR as much as the PS3 folks over here face pleasure Sony. Don't get me wrong, I have both systems but the Sony Defense Force is like the Fox News of the video game world.

[quote name='Malik112099']im talking about just on this forum. The majority of people on the 360 and PC forum dont suck their respective machine's dick NEAR as much as the PS3 folks over here face pleasure Sony. Don't get me wrong, I have both systems but the Sony Defense Force is like the Fox News of the video game world.[/QUOTE]

In regards to what? You have your PC users here who think PC gaming is the be all end all of gaming and that you need a keyboard and mouse if you want to truly experience a game. Bullshit obviously, but that's their mentality. Then you have 360 users who think Halo and Gears are the best things since sliced bread, again, bullshit. And this is coming from someone who has put in close to 500 hours on Halo 3.

Yet if a PS3 owner tries to defend the console and offers up better reliability and games as a reason, they are now on the defense squad?

[quote name='Salamando3000']To the OP, here's what I'd suggest. Get a pen and paper, browse IGN or metacritic or whatever, and make a list of games you want to buy for each system. Then factor in console differences, such as Blu Ray on one, Netflix on the other, etc. Become as well-informed about the consoles as you can. Then make your own decision, instead of relying on random internet people.[/QUOTE]

This is by far, the best advice given in this thread. From reading the posts, I'm sure you've figured out that die-hard PS3 fans will always recommend the PS3, and die-hard 360 fans will always recommend the 360. You need to do a little research on your own to determine which console best suits you (in terms of games and/or features), instead of relying on the opinions of anonymous people on the internet.

At the end of the day, they are both great consoles that have their share of great games. There certainly may be deals to be had on Black Friday, though as others have mentioned, they will probably be bundle deals, which may require you to purchase games and/or accessories that you may not want, but could be 'forced' into buying as a part of said bundle.

In any case, good luck in whatever you decide, and enjoy the games for whichever platform you choose. :)

[quote name='Malik112099']I'm an "actual gamer" and don't do any pc gamer. I'm sure the vast majority is in the same boat. Statistically you are probably the minority.[/QUOTE]

You're not being a douche at all.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']You're not being a douche at all.[/QUOTE]

I'm not. All of you assholes on this website (including me) think that the majority of gamers are like the rest of us. In the real world this is not true. The average gamer isn't a CAG. you are idiots to think otherwise. The average gamer doesn't have all the consoles, handhelds and a rig that will play Crysis. The average gamer is Joe fuckhead paying full price day 1 for a game he/she doesn't know shit about but thinks it looks cool. One of you says "Well I blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah" and then when someone points out that only applies to them they go the defensive make more generalities about the gaming population based on THEMSELVES. WTF is wrong with most of you? You spout opinions based on your personal gaming situation like they are fact and unless Sony, Nintendo or MS doesn't take heed they will go down in flames with you laughing hysterically. I'm all about discussing games and sharing opinions but when you start ripping random shit out of your ass and then try to shove it down someone's throat as fact you have gone from a discussion to straight asshatery.

[quote name='Malik112099']It is sickening the amount of blatant fanboyism that occurs in the PS3 forums on this site.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to my post? I think everything I said was true. It sounds to me like your just attacking anyone whos opinion is different from your own, I gave the best advice for his specific situation and answered his question the best. Take a look at what the op asked and what I answered then tell me what I did wrong so I can be praised by the great Malik who's opinions must be heard

bread's done
Back