Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread

Danimal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
A lot of us play fantasy football- I'm in a league here on CAG, as well as a money league I've done for about 10 years, and anyone who plays fantasy football knows that week to week, you have decsions to make about who to start. Maybe one guy has a tough matchup, maybe someone is questionable to play, whatever. Not every position on your team is a slam-dunk start every single week.

I thought it might be cool to have a thread where people can post questions like "Should I start this guy or that guy", and get some opinions and/or discussion about it.

I'll start: Brian Westbrook is out this week, so I need to decide between Cedric Benson (he'll carry his team's full load, but goes against Pittsburgh) or Jonathan Stewart (great when he plays, but splits work and often gets less than 10 carries. He goes against Dallas on Monday night) Feel free to post your own questions about who to start in your games.

Any thoughts?

I don't know if it's too late or not for you to get your line up in, but I don't like the Benson lineup, regardless of how well he's been doing lately. I remember in the opening game to start the year, they shut down CJ fairly well and then they stuffed Forte last week. Both backs who are drafted in the first round compared to what for Benson. And as much as I don't like Stewart (never liked 2nd string RBs majority of the time), he is probably the better play.

Well, since Benson plays at 4:00 and Stewart goes tomorrow night, I have until 3:55 to pick between them. I have Benson in right now. Yeah, I don't expect him to get even 50 yards, but since he gets all the carries for them, I'm thinking maybe he can get a cheapie TD or something.

Fortunately, I've got MJD having a huge day as my RB1, and my opponent's guys are not exactly tearing it up this week, so I'm in pretty good shape so far and it might not even matter. He has 5 of his 8 starters playing in the 1:00 game, I have 3 starters going now, and I'm up 74-41 at the moment.

stewart, because the steelers are known for their rush defense and the bengals are going to be down early which will result in many, many passes

I have my own problem now for this week. Turner's on a bye, bowe is injured, and my backups suck. Barber's injured as well, but Choice is filling that void nicely.

My options for RB are lendale white or larry johnson (who I'm most likely going to drop for Buckhalter).

For WR, it's either Housh, evans (who sucked against New Orleans), or Mason (against the Pats). I'm considering dropping evans possibly though for garcon (indy) for a couple weeks until Anthony Gonzo comes back. Him or Percy Harvin. Run first team, but he's been doing well thus far.

[quote name='JStryke']I have my own problem now for this week. Turner's on a bye, bowe is injured, and my backups suck. Barber's injured as well, but Choice is filling that void nicely.

My options for RB are lendale white or larry johnson (who I'm most likely going to drop for Buckhalter).

For WR, it's either Housh, evans (who sucked against New Orleans), or Mason (against the Pats). I'm considering dropping evans possibly though for garcon (indy) for a couple weeks until Anthony Gonzo comes back. Him or Percy Harvin. Run first team, but he's been doing well thus far.[/QUOTE]

Just be careful depending on Corell Buckhalter. He's a walking injury report. When he is healthy he is ok, but he gets injured a lot.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Just be careful depending on Corell Buckhalter. He's a walking injury report. When he is healthy he is ok, but he gets injured a lot.[/QUOTE]

I'm only looking to use him for a week to fill in for Turner. Barber I'm hoping is back next week as well, but if he's not, I still have Tashard Choice. And I figured since Moreno hasn't taken over yet, I figured it wouldn't be a bad pick up.

Also Azu, I expected you to say "pick up Harvin".

It's hard to say who to play b/c I don't know who is available in your league. Coffee is certainly a good pick up. Stay away from Buckhalter, he is bound to be hurt by time the game starts.

Harvin is going to continue to get catches and yards. I think it makes sense to drop TJ for him rather than Evans. TO is going to continue to ostracize himself from Edwards which means that Evans might get more targets over time. Also TJ is not going to really produce until Hassellback comes back in 3-5 weeks.

I need to think of a third WR to start... My options...

Start 1: Mario Manningham
Start 2: Vincent Jackson
Start 3: ???

??? = Hines Ward, Percy Harvin, Lee Evans

Also have Desean JAckson but theyre on a bye this week...

So far team seems pretty solid, just WR is where I have a few inconsistencies.

I'd go with Percy Harvin as your 3rd WR. Farve is about to play the Packers at home in Minnesota. He is poised to have a nice game. Hines Ward wouldn't be a bad choice except for the fact Farve will have extra motivation playing the Packers. Stay away from Lee Evans. Until the Buffalo offense shows consistency I wouldn't chance a play on Evans when you still have Ward and Harvin available.

im set with my lineup this week except my flex position. itll either be marshawn lynch or ryan grant. grant is going up against tough minnesota D. but this is lynchs first game back and jackson will no doubt steal touches. i have ray rice on my bench, but with willis making a comeback i dont trust him anymore, im trying to trade him for a WR right now.

speaking of which, im working with a guy who wants rice, hes willing to give me nate washington or tj houshmenzadah. i know tj wont do much until hasselback is healthy, i have the roster space to wait a few weeks. washington is good to go right now, but his numbers have been less than impressive. hes atop the depth chart though.

[quote name='i_bent_my_wookie']It's hard to say who to play b/c I don't know who is available in your league. Coffee is certainly a good pick up. Stay away from Buckhalter, he is bound to be hurt by time the game starts.

Harvin is going to continue to get catches and yards. I think it makes sense to drop TJ for him rather than Evans. TO is going to continue to ostracize himself from Edwards which means that Evans might get more targets over time. Also TJ is not going to really produce until Hassellback comes back in 3-5 weeks.[/QUOTE]

That's true about Evans / TO. However, Edwards isn't the greatest QB and Lynch is coming back this week. And like I mentioned, the New Orleans performance was...fucking awful. No other way to word that.

As for Hassellback, where did you see a report for possibly being out 3-5 weeks? I figured he'd be questionable for this week at a minimum, but I never saw anything as to a timetable.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'd go with Percy Harvin as your 3rd WR. Farve is about to play the Packers at home in Minnesota. He is poised to have a nice game. Hines Ward wouldn't be a bad choice except for the fact Farve will have extra motivation playing the Packers. Stay away from Lee Evans. Until the Buffalo offense shows consistency I wouldn't chance a play on Evans when you still have Ward and Harvin available.[/QUOTE]

The only problem I have with starting Harvin is that Im a huge packer fan and I just want the Packers D to embarrass Favre. With that being said, I think I am leaning towards Ward. Its just a matter of time before he gets his first TD / big game.

@JStryke: Yeah, I like Buckhalter better than either Larry Johnson or LenDale White as a one-week replacement for Turner. He's not a long-term solution, but it sounds like you don't need him to be. At WR, I'd go with Mason. I like his chances to put up decent numbers against New England.

@Steggy: Ward or Harvin, I think you'll be OK either way. I have a feeling the Minnesota-Green Bay game will be high scoring (I hope I'm wrong because Minnesota is my only D at the moment) so Harvin could have a nice game. As for Ward, the Steelers hosted San Diego last year and won ugly, 11-10. Ward had 11 catches for 124 yards in that game.

My problem this week is that half my team is on a bye. Kurt Warner, Brian Westbrook, Steve Smith, and Brent Celek. Favre is my backup QB, I'm OK at RB with MJD and Cedric Benson (I'd be starting them both this week anyway), but at WR it's U-G-L-Y. I'm starting OchoCinco, but my WR2 options are Torry Holt, Laveranues Coles, or Chris Chambers. Actually, I'm trying to drop Chambers to add the Cincy D (just for this week). I don't have a backup TE, so I'll have to settle for the dregs left in our free agent pool (Heath Miller is the best option there)

would anyone here take this trade.

reggie wayne for roddy white and marshawn lynch or ray rice. ive offered both to a guy, hoping it goes through. (ps you have wayne). im deep at RB so i can lose either, hell i could probably offer a better rb, but ill start low. im hoping to catch him off guard.

Which 2 should I start?

Fred Jackson against Dolphins
Marshawn Lynch against Dolphins
Tashard Choice against Broncos
Cadillac Williams against Redskins

[quote name='TheRock88']Which 2 should I start?

Fred Jackson against Dolphins
Marshawn Lynch against Dolphins
Tashard Choice against Broncos
Cadillac Williams against Redskins[/QUOTE]
All 4 are pretty weak options this week...
I'd say Lynch and Choice (if Barber is out).
Then again, Lynch and Jackson could split carries, making both equally useless.

I would say start Choice. Reports I'm reading, Jones is out until week 7 or so, and things aren't looking positive for Barber to return this week. If he does, I figure it would be in a very limited role, so I would believe that Choice is a safe play this week. For your 2nd choice...I dunno. If he's starting, I want to say Williams, as with Lynch back, I'm not sure how either of the Buffalo backs will do. They'll cut into each other's carries + this is Lynch's first start this year.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']would anyone here take this trade.

reggie wayne for roddy white and marshawn lynch or ray rice. ive offered both to a guy, hoping it goes through. (ps you have wayne). im deep at RB so i can lose either, hell i could probably offer a better rb, but ill start low. im hoping to catch him off guard.[/QUOTE]

If I were the Wayne owner I wouldn't do this.

So who should I pick up this week for a bye week/injury replacement?

Choices I'm looking at are: Mike Sims-Walker, Andre Caldwell, or anyone else you see on the list in spoilers.

1217sbk.jpg

[quote name='TruthinessFC']So who should I pick up this week for a bye week/injury replacement?

Choices I'm looking at are: Mike Sims-Walker, Andre Caldwell, or anyone else you see on the list in spoilers.

1217sbk.jpg
[/QUOTE]I like Caldwell. I was thinking of putting in for him myself. At the moment, I believe he's tied with OchoCinco for the team lead in receptions. I think the Bengals roll all over the Brownies this weekend, so if you're mostly looking for a one-week fill-in, I think he's a good choice.

[quote name='TruthinessFC']So who should I pick up this week for a bye week/injury replacement?

1217sbk.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Man that is some slim pickings. I honestly don't see a huge advantage with anyone on that list.

For everyone that posts in this thread it will be extremely useful to mention whether your league is a PPR league and allows return yardage for individuals.

[quote name='Steggy']I need to think of a third WR to start... My options...

Start 1: Mario Manningham
Start 2: Vincent Jackson
Start 3: ???

??? = Hines Ward, Percy Harvin, Lee Evans

Also have Desean JAckson but theyre on a bye this week...

So far team seems pretty solid, just WR is where I have a few inconsistencies.[/QUOTE]

I would say Harvin, especially if it's a PPR/return yardage league. Lee Evans though is an intriguing possibility since Miami has been horrible in pass defense, giving up HUGE pass yardage plays just about every week.

[quote name='Danimal']I like Caldwell. I was thinking of putting in for him myself. At the moment, I believe he's tied with OchoCinco for the team lead in receptions. I think the Bengals roll all over the Brownies this weekend, so if you're mostly looking for a one-week fill-in, I think he's a good choice.[/QUOTE]
I was looking at that Cleveland matchup as well, so for now Caldwell is in as this week's emergency move. Awful that I put myself in this situation with no real backup WR plan, but it is what it is. On the bright side this team has an easy looking matchup this week, so I should be ok.

[quote name='Josef']For everyone that posts in this thread it will be extremely useful to mention whether your league is a PPR league and allows return yardage for individuals.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I should've mentioned that it's a standard Yahoo! league; no points for receptions or return yardage, sadly.

[quote name='Josef']Lee Evans though is an intriguing possibility since Miami has been horrible in pass defense, giving up HUGE pass yardage plays just about every week.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to the people who started him against the Saints last week. My picks are slim in a league where I own Evans and at this moment, he's on my bench.

Who should I go with for my QB: Tom Brady or Brett Favre? Brady has been looking shaky, and Favre is against his old team, where he knows all of their plays. However, Favre hasn't really been putting up large fantasy numbers.

[quote name='Predator21281']Who should I go with for my QB: Tom Brady or Brett Favre? Brady has been looking shaky, and Favre is against his old team, where he knows all of their plays. However, Favre hasn't really been putting up large fantasy numbers.[/QUOTE]
I'd say Favre ONLY because Brady is up against the Ravens. Then again, I don't think either will have a huge game.

Favre doesn't really have as much potential for a big game, if only because half the time he'll be handing off to Purple Jesus (I really wish more people would call AP that as well). While I don't expect either to have a big game, I would say Brady will more likely have the higher potential to do better.

Also, for Choice + Barber. It's looking like Barber is going to play this game, but it doesn't sound like he'll play the entire time. Should I go to Barber, or should I stick with my current choice of Tashard Choice? Jones is out, so they will only have two RBs this game.

[quote name='Predator21281']Who should I go with for my QB: Tom Brady or Brett Favre? Brady has been looking shaky, and Favre is against his old team, where he knows all of their plays. However, Favre hasn't really been putting up large fantasy numbers.[/QUOTE]

I would go with Brady, especially if Welker plays. He's at home and the Ravens pass defense has been nothing special this year.

OK peeps - should I go with TOMLINSON or DEVIN HESTER? LDT hasn't played in 2 weeks and is going against the Steelers D and Hester is against the Lions.

Love this thread btw.

I think I'd actually go with Hester over Tomlinson, partly because of the matchups and partly because LT might not get his normal workload. I think LT will start, but Sproles will finish with more carries. Plus, if Polamalu is still out, all the more reason for San Diego to have a pass-heavy gameplan this week.

The guy I'm going against in my non-CAG league has LT, and so far he still has him on the bench, with Julius Jones and Ronnie Brown starting. I'm really curious to see if he leaves it that way.

I'm actually leaning towards Hester for exactly those reasons but obviously my biggest fear is that Tomlinson is 100% and he puts up some good numbers. There is little reason for him to play this week if he isn't 100% - they have a bye next week and they are 2-1 right now so it's not like this is a must-win (especially because they play in a super crappy division). If he was even at 80% wouldn't the smart thing to do be to rest him this week to give him 2 more weeks to heal? It's not like Sproles has been stinking it up.

OK - I've been reviewing my roster... I've decided on Hester but now I'm unsure at QB. I've got Schaub, Flacco and Cutler. Usually I just decide between Schaub and Flacco but Cutler is going against the Lions and he has been SICK the last 10 quarters. Flacco is @NE so I'm thinking he's not a good choice but Schaub is home vs. the Raiders. WHat do I do?

Cutler home vs. Lions
Schaub home vs. Raiders or
Flacco @NE

???

Late last season, Houston lost to Oakland 27-16. In that game, Schaub threw for 255 yards, no TDs and 1 INT. He also had 10 yards rushing. In my league, that's 12 fantasy points. Also, Asomugha completely took Andre Johnson out of that game. He finished with 2 catches for 19 yards (no TDs), and that came sandwiched between games where he had 11 catches for 207 with 1 TD, and 10 catches for 148 and 2 TDs. That is how you take away a team's primary weapon. Not to say that's how it will play out this week, but it's a frame of reference.

That is a very nice stable of QBs. I think I'd ride the hot hand and go with Cutler this week. Since you're starting Hester, if they hook up a lot during the game, you double your pleasure. Of course, if they don't......ugh. Anyway, my ranking for this week would be: 1) Cutler, 2) Flacco, 3) Scaub.

I took Schaub in the 10th round - I was the last one to pick a QB so I sat on it until necessary. Then I picked up Flacco and Cutler after Week 1 (when Schaub sucked). My team seems OK - I have Reggie Wayne and Greg Jennings as my receivers and Tomlinson, Steven Jackson and Thomas Jones as my RBs. I'm only 2-1 though and in 4th place right now. I hate scoring the second most points in a week and still getting the loss. A few years ago I had 200 more points than anyone else in my league and finished 5th and missed the playoffs - I got screwed by a TON of bad matchups.

I'm really leaning towards Cutler this week but as you said if he sucks and Hester sucks by proxy then my week is screwed.... but it's the LIONS! Another reason I could start Schaub is because the guy I'm playing has Andre Johnson so any TDs he catches will be offset by Schaub. I don't know- I'm sure whoever I pick will tank and the other guys will light it up.

Favre. He is highly motivated to kick ass.

[quote name='javeryh']OK peeps - should I go with TOMLINSON or DEVIN HESTER? LDT hasn't played in 2 weeks and is going against the Steelers D and Hester is against the Lions.

Love this thread btw.[/QUOTE]

They play different positions. Are you in a custom league of some kind?

[quote name='javeryh']OK - I've been reviewing my roster... I've decided on Hester but now I'm unsure at QB. I've got Schaub, Flacco and Cutler. Usually I just decide between Schaub and Flacco but Cutler is going against the Lions and he has been SICK the last 10 quarters. Flacco is @NE so I'm thinking he's not a good choice but Schaub is home vs. the Raiders. WHat do I do?

Cutler home vs. Lions
Schaub home vs. Raiders or
Flacco @NE

???[/QUOTE]

I'd go with Cutler slightly ahead of Schaub. While Cutler has the potential to have a big game or stink it up, I think the potential good is worth the start against the Lions. The Texans D is awful though and that may mean Schaub has to take to the air more often. I'm not sold on Flacco yet as a fantasy beast, but I am getting there.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']They play different positions. Are you in a custom league of some kind?[/QUOTE]

We have a flex spot for WR/RB so you can start 3RBs and 2WRs or 2RBs and 3WRs. Hightower has a bye this week and the only other RB I have is Fast Willie (Out) and Leon Washington.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'] I'd go with Cutler slightly ahead of Schaub. While Cutler has the potential to have a big game or stink it up, I think the potential good is worth the start against the Lions. The Texans D is awful though and that may mean Schaub has to take to the air more often. I'm not sold on Flacco yet as a fantasy beast, but I am getting there.[/QUOTE]

It's probably a toss up between the two. I'm definitely not sold on Flacco this week against the Patriots in Foxboro. Maybe I'll start Schaub to offset Johnson on my opponent's team and if Cutler has a huge day hopefully Hester will too and I'll benefit.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Favre. He is highly motivated to kick ass.[/QUOTE] I agree, I'd go with Favre over Brady this week as well. The Ravens matchup wouldn't scare me as much if Brady were looking like the 2007 version of himself, but so far he hasn't. Is Welker playing today? That could make a big difference. Anyway, I hope you're right, Guile- I'm starting Favre myself this week while Kurt Warner is on his bye.

javery, you said you picked up Cutler after Week 1? Was he not even drafted in your league? How many teams are in that league, and more importantly, how do I get in it next year? :lol:

Welker is starting. I'd go with Brady. Farve is motivated but he will still be handing off to AP unless they fall behind. The entire Patriots offense is built around Brady throwing and trying to run up the score.

I just checked and I actually did draft Cutler in the 14th round. Everyone in my league was way down on him going into the draft because he wouldn't have anyone to throw to on a run-oriented/defensive team.

trade ive proposed...

me: marshawn lynch, roy williams, nate clements
him: brandon marshall, troy polamalu

would you take it? thoughts? he needs RB help, i need WR help. polamalu is just me getting greedy.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']trade ive proposed...

me: marshawn lynch, roy williams, nate clements
him: brandon marshall, troy polamalu

would you take it? thoughts? he needs RB help, i need WR help. polamalu is just me getting greedy.[/QUOTE]Well, I've never done (and am not familiar with the scoring system for) an IDP league, so it's hard for me to gauge the comparitive values of Polamalu and Clements in this deal. Based just on the offensive guys listed, I wouldn't go near this trade if I were him. But that's me. I'm just not a fan at all of either Lynch or Williams. I think before this season is over, Fred Jackson will become the full-time guy in Buffalo and Lynch will be playing somewhere else next year. Still, if he's desperate enough for RB help, you never know.

[quote name='Danimal']Well, I've never done (and am not familiar with the scoring system for) an IDP league, so it's hard for me to gauge the comparitive values of Polamalu and Clements in this deal. Based just on the offensive guys listed, I wouldn't go near this trade if I were him. But that's me. I'm just not a fan at all of either Lynch or Williams. I think before this season is over, Fred Jackson will become the full-time guy in Buffalo and Lynch will be playing somewhere else next year. Still, if he's desperate enough for RB help, you never know.[/QUOTE]

i ended up getting the trade to go through by upping the ante and offering ryan grant.

Man, I forgot to mention I picked up the San Francisco defense in two of my leagues against the lowly Rams. Holy hell did they score huge! Won both of those games Sunday.

bread's done
Back