The Free Music Thread (Updated 10/1)

fizzywix

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
This thread is dedicated to free (and legal) music! If your first though about this post is "This is pointless, I can get all this music for free through torrents/limewire/blogs," then you are lame! For everyone else, feel free to share, download, and discover new music for free!

I will constantly update this with my finds and anything posted in the thread as long as the thread holds interest.

Contributors to the thread are in green

RIYL = Recommended if you like

Artist Specific

AFI - Fainting Spells (song)
Barnaby Jones - Barnaby Jones RIYL: Propaghandi, Kid Dynamite, punk
Bomb the Music Industry - All of their music is free, click on album titles in the text to download each. RIYL: DIY punk, The Lawrence Arms
Brave Citizens - Revolutions Deluxe RIYL:MuteMath, The Graduate
Bright Light Fever - 2 albums, 1 EP, rarities (use code "absolute")
Cavashawn - 2 EPs RIYL: power pop
Coldplay - LeftRightLeftRightLeft live album RIYL: Coldplay
Colugo - 3 albums and 1 EP RIYL: Quirky electronic music
Cursive - Exclusive live tracks RIYL: Fugazi
Denison Witmer - Lots of free acoustic tracks RIYL: Acoustic music, Jon Foreman
Empires - Howl (click download, 128k version at the bottom of the popup) RIYL: Post rock
Explosions in the Sky - The Rescue - Click on "The Rescue", must download each song seperately. There is a free song on each other album as well. RIYL: instrumental rock, Sigur Ros, GY!BE
Gatsby's American Dream - In the Land of Monsters EP RIYL: Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground, The Receiving End of Sirens
Great Lake Swimmers - Live EP RIYL: Iron & Wine, indie-folk
House of Heroes - 3 songs RIYL: pop-punk, Relient K
Katatonia - Forsaker (song) RIYL: Anathema, Opeth
Kill the Frontman - Songs From the Game Room RIYL: The Movielife, late 90s melodic punk
Lipona - Pigeonholed EP RIYL: Much the Same, melodic punk
Mariage Blanc - Broken Record - RIYL: indie-pop, The Arcade Fire
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip RIYL: Trent Reznor, industrial rock
North Col - Three EP RIYL: Thin Dark Line
Northbrook - Maybe... Click on the big picture of the album cover RIYL: Valencia, pop punk
Onalaska - 2 Albums + previous work RIYL: Minus the Bear (according to last.fm)
Paper Rival - EP RIYL: Edison Glass, indie rock
Portugal. The Man - Tour Sampler
Signs of Hope - 2 free albums RIYL: At Half Mast, straight edge hardcore
Sparta - Taking Back Control (song) RIYL: At the Drive-In
Sticky Fingaz - Blacktrash: The Autobiography of Kirk Jones RIYL: Onyx, hardcore rap thanks to pyoobeez
Sticky Fingaz - Decade: But Wait It Gets Worse RIYL: Onyx, hardcore rap thanks to pyoobeez
Tera Melos - Idioms Vol. 1 (Covers EP)
The Damnwells - One Last Century click on the "Click Here" RIYL: Augustana, alt. rock
The Felix Culpa - So So Remission EP RIYL: Hey Mercedes, twothirtyeight
The Jakes - Shake My Hand EP RIYL: indie rock
The Summer Obsession - All albums/eps/songs RIYL: Cartel, Fall Out Boy

Various Artists/Compilations

Alter the Press Compilation - huge set of songs, hardcore punk to indie rock to electronic
Amazon MP3 Free tracks - Huge variety
Archaic Horizon Records - Most of their releases are free RIYL: Experimental music
Classic Cat - A staggeringly large directory of classical music recordings
Come and Live - I Am Living Vol. 1 RIYL: Christian rock
Daytrotter Sessions - Exclusive live recordings, updated almost daily with new bands, thanks to kicking222, awesome site
Deep Elm Records - Sampler RIYL: Latterman, melodic punk, pop punk
Drive-Thru Records Sampler - Click on the link on their home page. RIYL: Hellogoodbye, New Found Glory, the Starting Line
Fuse TV Free tracks - Free songs from artists listed on the left, lots of variety
Live Music Archive - TONS of live concerts available to download at very high quality, big thanks to usickenme
MTV Free Song Downloads - Variety of stuff, updated fairly often, very MTV-ish.
PureVolume - Best of Sessions - Various artists
Spinner Free MP3 of the Day Archive - There are currently 48+ pages of free songs from a huge variety of artists from indie pop to instrumental post rock. All songs have short descriptions and RIYL artists. Click here for even more.
Suburban Home Records Free Album of your choice

Stream Free Music
www.last.fm
www.grooveshark.com
www.pandora.com
www.jango.com

Deals
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-To-The-Machine/dp/B0023RRBNM/ref=amb_link_85386671_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=02VXN1MQ0XBD8M1BH44V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=492878951&pf_rd_i=163856011"]Amazon Deal of the Day [/URL]- Hurt - Goodbye to the Machine - $1.99
Amazon's 50 albums for $5 (October) Lots of great stuff, my recommendations for this batch: Phish, Owen, White Rabbits, John Lee Hooker, Third Eye Blind, Rush
Shh... This is a Library - S/T - Name your price, can buy for 1 cent - I highly recommend this album, this is the most calming, mellow music you will ever hear.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post, OP- bravo. I'm definitely checking out some of the compilations (and Portugal. The Man, who I've never actually heard). If I may hype a site I like a lot (though, rest assured, have no vested interest in), http://www.daytrotter.com is pretty excellent- every day, they post three-to-five live tracks from a different band, recorded in the site's studio. While it's obviously indie-rock slanted, there are some pretty big names if you go back through their archives

http://www.fifthelementonline.com/atmosphere-leak-at-will.html

Atmosphere - Leak At Will

It's a seven track digital album from indy rapper Atmosphere to commemorate Fifth Element's move to selling digital recordings through their store.

You need to add it to the cart and register with basic info like address, phone, etc. However, there's an option of credit not applicable you can click on. Oh, and I never even checked my email to verify or anything so technically I guess you could give them bogus info to get it.

Great thread OP.

My old band released our EP for free, so here's like the link if anyone is interested. I reccomend it if you like Botch, Deadguy, O' God the Aftermath era Norma Jean, The Number Twelve Looks Like You, Misery signals, stuff like that.

The Rip Van Winkle Caper - EP
http://www.mediafire.com/?nnywyhmyj4dohwm

I'm sure we're not completely supposed to use this to get out our music, but what the hell? Free music is free music, right?

My newest CD is up for free download (or you can donate a dollar or two to a young fellow who is moving across the country at the end of the month! ;) )

www.oceansnextvictim.bandcamp.com

bread's done
Back