Kickin it up a notch (BAM!) overhyped games of the year?

AlbinoNinja

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm planning on doing a feature on sleeper hit games for my school newspaper, mostly because Alien Hominid and Katamari Damacacy were two of the greatest success stories. So far I've got three games for the feature:

Katamari Damacacy
Alien Hominid
Red Dead Revolver (okay this was made by Rockstar, but it was delayed so long and ended up being a surprisingly decent game that sold well)

I would add the chronicals of riddick, but I want to avoid putting in too many M rated games. Any one have any other Sleeper Hits I should write about?

I'd have to go with Burnout 3. Sure there were people looking forward to it but I really feel like it came out of nowhere.

You've got to give credit to those games for coming out at low and -- dare I say? -- reasonable prices. I would love for indie game designers to be able to get games on the market that play on the major consoles for $20.

Red Dead Revolver was far from being a sleeper hit. I saw ads for that blasted game dozens of time a day and it also had tons of magazine coverage as well. Games that I would consider a sleeper hit to cover would be any of the Nippon Ichi PS2 titles (Disgaea, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle).

i dunno i never really got into ToS. It seems way to slow paced. I want to get into it but the story line is not enticing me like i hoped it would.

sorry, guitaroo man doesn't count, im only doing games that came out this year. As for nocturne, I may use it, except it may seem a bit too mature for a high school newspaper...

List:
Alien Hominid
Katamari
Burnout 3
Shadow Hearts/Red Dead Revolver

And I may do a section on disappointing huge games for the year (*cough* Syphon Filter *cough*)
Anyone have any ideas for this?

Disappointing huge games? I think we can throw Halo 2 onto that pile, in that it was nowhere near what the hype machine lead us to believe. I'd also second Driver 3's nomination. Possibly Fable as well, though I never played it. Oh, and of course, Killzone.

[quote name='alongx']Disappointing huge games? I think we can throw Halo 2 onto that pile, in that it was nowhere near what the hype machine lead us to believe. I'd also second Driver 3's nomination. Possibly Fable as well, though I never played it. Oh, and of course, Killzone.[/quote]

i second halo 2 as a huge disappointment.

[quote name='doodle777_98'][quote name='alongx']Disappointing huge games? I think we can throw Halo 2 onto that pile, in that it was nowhere near what the hype machine lead us to believe. I'd also second Driver 3's nomination. Possibly Fable as well, though I never played it. Oh, and of course, Killzone.[/quote]

i second halo 2 as a huge disappointment.[/quote]

I print that and you'll find my home-made needler covered corpse in a dumpster

Driv3r, Killzone, and Fable. I'll just mention that Fable didn't live up to the hype (I, personally, liked it)

well, it was, until i got the idea to put a section on overhyped games in the feature. So of course im asking CAG what are their opinions of the most overhyped games now

FABLE... It got great mag reviews... in US...which Hype it even more... I was in luv with this game before i played it, but it became 1 of the worst game I ever played.... it just didn't appeal to me.

but it was bashed to hell by the Japanese reviewers...

hey can't blame them, they make the best RPG's in the world.

yeah... i printed the article, and fable was on the most disappointing side, even though i personally liked it, I had to mention that Peter Molyneux publicly apologized for any features that did not make it into the game

thanks anyway, but i don't need it anymore

definitely driv3r...i went to my friends house and he was playing it...that damn game didn't even look like it was finished...

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Actually Driv3r was bashed 6 ways to hell. Far from overhyped.[/QUOTE]

Well thats kinda what overhyped is. The game gets a ton of attention and advertising, but when it comes out no one likes likes it. Hence the word: Overhyped.

bread's done
Back