What's With All The Malware on CAG?

zeldaking

CAGiversary!
I am using Chrome and about 1 out of 3 deal forums I look at I get a a warning about malware on CAG (see image). I don't know if this is caused by the ads or someone's signature, but it is concerning. I tried to go to the buycheapernow.info site, but I got another warning, so I stayed away. CAG has been like this for 2 or 3 weeks now.

CheapyD, you may want to look into this before CAG becomes a total malware site.

CAG-Malware.gif

I am using Chrome, and have had the exact same problem with multiple pages. Most of the alerts I have come across are in the deals section as well. The pages load but then right away after I see the first post it gives the Mal ware alert.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238899

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at www.cheapassgamer.com contains elements from the site www.buycheapernow.info, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.buycheapernow.info.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.
I understand that visiting this site may harm my computer.

using Chrome 3.0.195.24

I've looked at the code source on those threads and don't see buycheapernow.info anywhere.

If you do get that message, right click in your browser window and select "view page source" or something similar. Then use the browser's find function to search for "buycheapernow.info".

Please let me know what you find.

I've went through past pages that I was having trouble with and am no longer getting any warnings. Is anyone else still having this problem?

I tried the "view page source" yesterday and I couldn't find anything either. At one point I thought the warnings did go away, but they are back.

But looking at the 3 forums and using my limited detective skills, I noticed that user "pasko" posted to all 3 forums. So I say it is something with his signature or avatar or something.

EDIT: Now I am nearly 100% sure it is "pasko". I checked some other threads he posted in and they all give me the same malware warning. CheapyD, hopefully you can figure out the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting the warning with the following page

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239269

I know I clicked on that thread earlier today before anybody posted and it was fine, so if I had to guess it's somebody's signature. As for giving a specific post, I get a page before the thread even shows up saying malware detected, so I can't give any type of post that is causing it. All I can tell you is it says it is because of buycheapernow.info. Maybe someone not getting the warning can cross reference these threads and see who or whom is the common poster in them.

pasko's posts and signature seem fine, but I've moved his image hosting to imageshack. Maybe the old one was setting off (false?) malware alarms.

[quote name='CheapyD']pasko's posts and signature seem fine, but I've moved his image hosting to imageshack. Maybe the old one was setting off (false?) malware alarms.[/QUOTE]

The page seems to work for me now...no malware detected.

[quote name='CheapyD']pasko's posts and signature seem fine, but I've moved his image hosting to imageshack. Maybe the old one was setting off (false?) malware alarms.[/QUOTE]

I could view the thread just fine now, so maybe that's what it was. Thanks! I'll be sure to post if another thread gives me the warning.

bread's done
Back