PS3 UPnP never available (Motorola Modem)

dwise68

CAG Veteran
I have read through several threads and I just can't get to the bottom of this. I cannot get my PS3 to register UPnP available. I've redone the network setting is the PS3, totally disabled the firewall on my cable modem (Motorola SBG900 Wireless - USB), entered the required PS3 settings from the site orpheusinternet.co.uk/support/ps3/firewall.html into windows firewall (that's what I have active), and still no luck. Does anybody have any info on where I should go next? I've searched all over but most threads ref Linksys or netgear modems / routers. I also have a Microsoft MN-700 router set up in the house as an access point but the PS3 is in the room next to the motorola and the MN-700 is upstairs.

Thanks to all who take time to look and anybody that can give a little insight.

UPnP is your modem setting. In this case it either means that your modem/router does not support UPnP or you have disabled the feature. It really doesn't have anything to do with firewall.

I could be wrong, but I remember the uPNP setting being part of my Netgear router, not my Comcast Motorola SB5101 modem. (I actually don't know of any way to access my modem's settings, I picked it up from comcast, plugged it in and it just worked.)

I don't have a PS3, so I can't comment on that part, but I replaced my previous wireless G router with my current dual band N when I wanted to have uPNP for my Xbox 360 (to allow an open NAT setting.)

My previous router did not support uPNP, so I needed to replace it. That allows both my Xbox, PC and Mac to configure itself for the internet automatically with the open NAT settings on xbox live (and the correct ports open for bittorrent on the PC.)

When I did set up one of my parents linksys routers, I had to go in and manually turn on uPNP, as the default linksys setting was to have it disabled.

You might want to check this web site as well for any info, it has helped me in the past:
http://portforward.com/

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

switch modems.... I'm using comcast, (triple play service) and I'm using a netgear router.. the router is as smooth as butter.

One question. Why would you be using a router as an access point, when the Motorola gateway works perfectly fine as a wireless gateway?

Link to the user manual:
http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/SBG900/downloads/SBG900_User_Guide.pdf

My recommendation would be to get a stand-alone cable modem and use your MN-700 to do the router. Or pitch both of them and get a more modern router from Linksys or Netgear plus a standalone cable modem.

Did some more research and found out that the Motorola SBG900 does not support UPnP so looks like I'll have to go back to the standard cable modem and wireless router set-up or find a wireless cable modem that supports UPnP. Really would much rather have the wireless option so I don't have to have the extra equipment on my desk. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions....everybody was a big help.:)

bread's done
Back