List of securom games

torifile

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I'm new to the PC gaming community and all the hubbub surrounding SecuROM has got me thinking - I will vote with my wallet and avoid all games that have SecuROM in them. My read is that I've already got at least 3 games with SecuROM:

Fallout 3
Oblivion
Bioshock

I hate that I bought these games now that I know, but what's done is done. I'd like to avoid making the same mistake again.

So, what other games have SecuROM? Are there some versions of SecurROM that aren't so terrible?

I don't know if it helps any but on the Steam store it usually lists very clearly if a title has additional 3rd party DRM so you can check if those games have that. If you want to avoid some DRMs, sometimes I think the steam versions of games don't have 3rd party DRM for example I believe the CD version of Medieval 2 total war had Securom, but the Steam version didn't. Other games though like Anno 1404 Dawn of Discovery have the same TAGES DRM on both the disk media and steam versions.

Ruahrc

I like Steam in theory, but with my Amazon Prime and the ECA discount, sometimes it doesn't make sense to buy through them. That said, I did buy COD4 through Steam, as well as Batman. I may consider them in the future if a game I want has SecuROM. Does Dead Space on Steam have SecuROM?

If you're not having specific problems with Securom, I wouldn't sweat it. I play Securom protected games all the time without trouble. The games I avoid are ones with terrible restrictions like limited installs. Nearly every printed game has some sort of DRM though.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']If you're not having specific problems with Securom, I wouldn't sweat it. I play Securom protected games all the time without trouble. The games I avoid are ones with terrible restrictions like limited installs. Nearly every printed game has some sort of DRM though.[/QUOTE]
It's more a philosophical stance than anything else. I don't think that everyone needs to take this point of view, but I just think that there are many other worthwhile games that don't think I'm going to do something to pirate their IP because I bought it. It really makes no sense. I have the physical game, why are you putting crap on my computer? As has been stated a thousand times - pirates find a way around it EVERY TIME so the only people affected are actual paying customers.

I don't mind the basic cd-check securom. Haven't had too much trouble with that. But like Mr. Longfellow said, the ones with limited activations/installs are the ones that annoy me. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are:
Crysis: Warhead
Spore
Mass Effect
Far Cry 2
I'm sure there are a ton more (I think somebody mentioned Red Alert 3), but those are the ones that I KNOW for sure have limited activations/installs.

The Chronicles of Riddick for PC is notoriously brutal with its install limit. It allows only THREE installs and it has to be verified online each time. I have no idea what DRM it uses, though.

If you buy that game, be very aware of what constitutes a "new" installation. I just upgraded my CPU last week and Riddick registered the change as a new install. I literally just powered my PC off, swapped out my old CPU for the new one, then booted back into Windows.

Edit: Just found that Riddick uses Tages.

[quote name='Ruahrc']I don't know if it helps any but on the Steam store it usually lists very clearly if a title has additional 3rd party DRM so you can check if those games have that. If you want to avoid some DRMs, sometimes I think the steam versions of games don't have 3rd party DRM for example I believe the CD version of Medieval 2 total war had Securom, but the Steam version didn't. Other games though like Anno 1404 Dawn of Discovery have the same TAGES DRM on both the disk media and steam versions.

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

Ya, but the DRM is never revealed until a few days after the game has been released. You never get any information during the pre-release period.

[quote name='mogamer']Ya, but the DRM is never revealed until a few days after the game has been released. You never get any information during the pre-release period.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I haven't bought a game at release for a long, long time so I wasn't aware of this.

I haven't had a recent problem, but securom used to have a freak out when I had my external DVD burner plugged in. Which was always since it was also a better drive than the internal one on my old desktop. Nowadays I'll still not buy securom games out of principle. Which is sad because I really want Blood Bowl. I guess I'm stuck waiting for the 360 one, if it ever comes out.

bread's done
Back