Gamestop used game policy

mombbsmj

CAG Newbie
I bought 3 games last Sat on the buy 2 get one free sale. I was told that if I didn't like any of the games then I could bring them back for an exchange. I wasn't thrilled with Shining Soul and would like to return it. I was wondering if this is a store policy or if I had better hope that the guy who sold me the games is working tomorrow.

My GS told me that I could only exchange for only the same title if the one I had wasn't working...it might be a YMMV thing with your store, but I could be wrong.

im gonna guess those games are used since that sale only includes used games. now if u wanna return used games, they'll take it back but it gets a little complicated with the buy 2 get 1 cause u cant just return one itll b like buying 1 getting 1 free. so what u can do is exchange it out for store credit. i think this works best because now u can use the store credit to buy new games or whatever else u want from the store.

There are NO exchanges if you don't like it. However, look at the bottom of your receipt, it says "All Refunds are subject to management approval" so you can potentially take it back if you don't like it as long as the manager, ASST manager or one of the SGAs is cool. Also, if you're going to take it back, do it before a week is up because if you keep it for a month and then suddenly decide you don't want it anymore, they probably won't give you something else. If it's only been 1 or 2 days, I don't see why he wouldn't let you get something else (unless you do it all the time).

Then you have a lax manager. Like I said, I'll do it usualy too under a few conditions:
1. You're not int here trying to treat the place as a rental store
2. you're not being a douche
3. It hasn't been 3 weeks since you bought it.

I'd do it more but we have to log every return with an explanation and it is against our policy to return for dislike. I used to type things like "To keep customer happy" but now I ust type in things like "The game exploded". I haven't heard anything about it yet, but we'll see.

Reality's Fringe said:
I used to type things like "To keep customer happy" but now I ust type in things like "The game exploded". I haven't heard anything about it yet, but we'll see.

Advice: try being more creative. Use things like "made a crappy Frisbee," "the shiny wore off," or "not edible" once in a while...have fun with it! :D

i exchanged a game that i got free at a buy 2 get one free sale at ebgames. they allowed me to do it as long as it was the lowest cost game.

edit: i forgot to mention that i exchanged it within a week and my excuse was i didn't like it.

Yeah, last night my exchange reason was "Bob Saget Approved" and my DM called this morning. I guess she didn't like it. Of course there's the old standbuy "VCR wouldn't run" and "Forgot pickles" but you have to be careful as evidenced by my little DM call. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I took the game back today and got a different one. Just told him that I didn't like it. (stupid, stupid game) The only thing he said that was I needed to get one game at least worth what I got the free one for and then he gave me store credit for the remaining $2. I hope that people don't abuse that policy so they change it, it's awesome.

If they're so lax about exchanging used games for different used games do you think they'd let you exchange a game for another copy of the same game with the manual? I'm only asking because I've contemplated buying used games from them, but the fact that they don't promise cases or manuals bothers me.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']
Reality's Fringe said:
I used to type things like "To keep customer happy" but now I ust type in things like "The game exploded". I haven't heard anything about it yet, but we'll see.

Advice: try being more creative. Use things like "made a crappy Frisbee," "the shiny wore off," or "not edible" once in a while...have fun with it! :D[/quote]

I like the way you think!

[quote name='Indiana']Here's an idea if they don't include the manual or box, DON'T BUY IT!!!!![/quote]

I do this all the time. I go up to the counter and tell them the game I want and I try to watch as they put it in the empty case if its from the display. If it doesn't have instructions I always ask if they have them and they usually fake-look for the instructions and say no sorry so I'm like ok but no thanks I don't want the game. The get real snoody about it too. Once the guy was like "well you can just get the instructions off the internet you know (in a very snoody attitude)". Another time I actualy brought the game got outside and realized it didn't have instructions and brought it right back in to return it.

I'm sorry but if they're gonna knock money off of my trade in value if I don't have the instructions then by god I'm not spending the same amount on a used game without the instructions as what they would charge for a game with the instructions.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='Indiana']Here's an idea if they don't include the manual or box, DON'T BUY IT!!!!![/quote]

I do this all the time. I go up to the counter and tell them the game I want and I try to watch as they put it in the empty case if its from the display. If it doesn't have instructions I always ask if they have them and they usually fake-look for the instructions and say no sorry so I'm like ok but no thanks I don't want the game. The get real snoody about it too. Once the guy was like "well you can just get the instructions off the internet you know (in a very snoody attitude)". Another time I actualy brought the game got outside and realized it didn't have instructions and brought it right back in to return it.

I'm sorry but if they're gonna knock money off of my trade in value if I don't have the instructions then by god I'm not spending the same amount on a used game without the instructions as what they would charge for a game with the instructions.[/quote]

We don't knock off trade in value for lack of manual or case. We only knock off value if the disc needs to be refurbished. Here's a tip if you don't want attitude the ext time you buy a game; ASK if they have the manual/case BEFORE you have them ring it up, unlock the case and then pull it out. I make it a habit to let people know before I ring them up whether it has its original packaging or not, but it can sometimes slip my mind. So, if it's out there on the wal but it's in a generic case without any instructions; ask first!

I've been to 5 Gamestops in the metro detroit area over the last week and ALL of them have told me you have 7 days to exchange a used title for any reason. I just exchanged D&D eye of the beholder becaused it sucks, and there was no problem.

In fact, just about every time I was told this they used the exact same wording which leads me to believe it was written down in a company wide memo or handed down as policy. I just wish they could get their act together about the discount policy.

YMMV, but, the policy is you have 7 days to return a game. If it is new, it cant be opened, and if it is used, just bring it in and you can get another. The only time you should get grief is when you try to treat our store like a rental store. Just remember to be nice.

If you are worried about instructions, hell, most of the time if you come back to me after you buy a game with none, I will give you the instructions when someone trades the game in. :lol:

[quote name='bmulligan']...stuff... I just wish they could get their act together about the discount policy.[/quote]

Huh? explain please? Something else with a question mark?

"Unopened, the game may be returned in 7 days for a full refund. After it is opened it has a 7 day defective replacement warranty" Nowhere does it mention that yu can return a new game because you don't liek it, in fact I think there was a class action lawsuit against Gamestop because people were taking advantage of its lax return policy and Gamestop, stupidly enough, sold the returned games as new. If someone tries to return a new game to me because they don't like it; too damned bad.

"Used games may be returned within 90 days as adefective for a replacement of the same title. Returns on used merchandise are to be same unit only. In the event a replacement unit cannot be found, a store credit may be issued." (source for both is the company handbook I have and the bottom of a recent sales receipt) I don't see anywhere in there where we're required to take back the game because you don't like it and give you another one. I'm bringing this up because it seems that people think that we have to give them another game if they don't like it when in fact we're doing them a favor. There, in all honesty, isn't any provision for a "Do not like" policy. The catch I use to let someone get another game is hat line at the bottom of the sales receipt that says "All returns subject to management approval". If you're cool about it and it's been a reasonable time, yeah, I'll change it out for you. I just don't like people acting like we're required to do it. Like I said, if the employees let you do it then, hey, you have some good guys working there. Just don't be surprised if one day you walk in with a used game you don't like and they refuse to give you another one because you did the same thing over 7 times in the last month.

bread's done
Back