Dragon Age Origins - Awakenings expansion out 3/16/10!

Saint Noir

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
BioWare's latest RPG and the supposed successor to Baldur's Gate. Coming for PS3 two weeks after 360/PC on November 17th.

BioWare has brought us Bladur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, and Mass Effect.

"From the Makers of Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Baldur’s Gate comes an epic tale of violence, lust, and betrayal. The survival of humanity rests in the hands of those chosen by fate. You are a Grey Warden, one of the last of an ancient order of guardians who have defended the lands throughout the centuries. Betrayed by a trusted general in a critical battle, you must hunt down the traitor and bring him to justice. As you fight your way towards the final confrontation with an evil nemesis, you will face monstrous foes and engage in epic quests to unite the disparate peoples of a world at war. A romance with a seductive shapeshifter may hold the key to victory, or she may be a dangerous diversion from the heart of your mission. To be a leader, you must make ruthless decisions and be willing to sacrifice your friends and loved ones for the greater good of mankind."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itg3CqwklBo

My question to everyone is... why should I be excited? I know it will be a good game based on the developer's pedigree. But nothing about the videos (design or whatever) has really grabbed me. I want to be enlightened!

Tell me if you are excited for this, will get it, etc... give me reasons why! Besides the fact that it's BioWare.

Day 1 DLC = instant fail for me. Now, if this is just for the 360 version (due to disc space?) then that's fine, but if it's the same with the PS3 version then count me out until a price drop.

A part of me says awesome, it's Bioware.

The other part of me is rational. No amount of rendered cinematics do anything for me nowadays. Learned my mistake with Warhammer Online.

Bioware sure is playing it safe. RPG party sterotype? Check. Different races in the trailer? Check. Cool shit you will never do in the game? Check.

Let's see them try to trump Demon's Souls as the best RPG out this year. I don't think they will.

[quote name='coleipoo']Let's see them try to trump Demon's Souls as the best RPG out this year. I don't think they will.[/QUOTE]

Easily in my honest opinion. RPG's are not always about graphics, its more about the content; like a virtual 3d novel

Demon's Souls which I pre-ordered is a great game, but its more of an action RPG then turn based RPG's of old. If Dragon Age lives up to the hype as Baldur's Gate successor. By all means, no contest. Bioware has the potential to create rich engaging stories that sucks one in, much like a book.

What is the combat like in Dragon Age? Is it more action based or more like KotOR, which I hated, I hated Jade Empire too. I still kinda want it though.

Although Im getting this game, the lack of showing more actual game footage is a little worrying. Although I do like a great story line, I also expect my games to look good as well.
And when I played Baldur's gate it certainly wasn't turn based and it was more of an action rpg lol.

[quote name='DraconianAC']Easily in my honest opinion. RPG's are not always about graphics, its more about the content; like a virtual 3d novel

Demon's Souls which I pre-ordered is a great game, but its more of an action RPG then turn based RPG's of old. If Dragon Age lives up to the hype as Baldur's Gate successor. By all means, no contest. Bioware has the potential to create rich engaging stories that sucks one in, much like a book.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... you know... cause turn based of old automatically makes a game better. And heaven forbid a game has good... you know.. gameplay.

I hope Dragon Age lives up to it's developers pedigree... but nothing shown so far inspires at all. "Super cool" CG scenes that just bring LotR to mind is not it.

Still I'm sure it will be good. All the hands on from the game sites say it is really good. I just hope it has some actual game and is NOT just a virtual novel. Bleh.

EDIT - Found some interesting stuff... makes me worry bout console play though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SKshw-2ZdY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KizZpD5DKLE

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SynGamer']Day 1 DLC = instant fail for me. Now, if this is just for the 360 version (due to disc space?) then that's fine, but if it's the same with the PS3 version then count me out until a price drop.[/QUOTE]

It's the same thing as the Gears of War 2 day one DLC. It's a small reward for buying the game versus renting.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It's the same thing as the Gears of War 2 day one DLC. It's a small reward for buying the game versus renting.[/QUOTE]

?

How is day one DLC (that costs money) a reward for buying the game instead of renting? That content should either be free or on the damn disc!

[quote name='SynGamer']?

How is day one DLC (that costs money) a reward for buying the game instead of renting? That content should either be free or on the damn disc![/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure what you are talking about so I did some googling. It turns out we are both right.

There is a $15 DLC at launch that is FREE if you buy the game (one time code that comes inside the case): It's the Stone Prisoner expansion, which includes the Stone Golem Shale as a playable character, which changes the game a lot depending on if he's in your party, among other stuff.

However there is Warden's Keep: $7 DLC that will also available that includes a dungeon, six new abilities, and a bunch of items - which is extra.

It doesn't bother me all that much. They announced today that they intend to have 2 years of DLC coming out to support the game. I don't really feel like they are necessary editions to the game. The fact that the DLC comes out day one doesn't really mean much - most game company's are working on DLC along side their game for much of the production.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Yeah... you know... cause turn based of old automatically makes a game better. And heaven forbid a game has good... you know.. gameplay.

Still I'm sure it will be good. All the hands on from the game sites say it is really good. I just hope it has some actual game and is NOT just a virtual novel. Bleh..[/QUOTE]

Everyone is different, some people like more action in their RPGs, some prefer a more tactical experience, others want more story, etc. I personally enjoy more story and character interaction (virtual novel path) with some strategy tact on; It may not your cup of tea, I know. That does not mean other people in this forum would not appreciate it. The pausing will be done by the players own accord as I know it; the game will not pause by it self.

This review came out for the PC version on October 5th.

http://gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_origins/b/pc/archive/2009/10/05/review.aspx

I have the PS3 version on pre-order, but if I start hearing awful reviews about it before launch, I'll just have to upgrade my PC sooner than I would have wanted.

hmm..the new trailer says November 3rd as release date.

I'm worried about how the console version will play. All the gameplay footage I've seen shows PC play with the mouse cursor and it looks fine. I hope they have some "snap to" method with thumbstucks once the action is paused so you can scroll through your characters faster.

Really looking forward to it. I've loved pretty much every BioWare game ever, and it has gotten a good review from GI already.

Giant Bomb has a Quick Look up of the 360 version. You can get a sense for the changes they made for the console versions. Also, BioWare confirmed the Tactics system is indeed there, they just didn't find it.

[quote name='Darknyss']Giant Bomb has a Quick Look up of the 360 version. You can get a sense for the changes they made for the console versions. Also, BioWare confirmed the Tactics system is indeed there, they just didn't find it.[/QUOTE]

That was a pretty cool look at it. Looks interesting. Presentation of course looks top notch. Still undecided, but it seems to grow on me with each new bit of info and every video. :)

Anyone pick this up? I may after I finish with Borderlands and Batman AA. I am a little put off by the complexity, but sounds like they dumbed it down for consoles a bit, so it might be fine for me. I don't like my RPG's too complex. Battle system looks good though.

The video review I saw mentioned that the PS3 version looks noticeably better than the 360 version due to using textures with less compression, though they mention the 360 framerate is slightly more stable.

~S

Yeah, I was just coming to state that the Gamespot review gives the edge to the PS3 version, which is a rarity for these type of multiplatform releases. Good to hear. Reviews have been universally high.

I will probably pick it up once my back log clears up a bit...

Just picked this up at BB, price matched it from Frys for 47.99, I just couldn't wait until the $40 BF sale. I've played and loved just about every BioWare game, so I'm sure this will be no exception

[quote name='Saint Noir']Yeah, I was just coming to state that the Gamespot review gives the edge to the PS3 version, which is a rarity for these type of multiplatform releases. Good to hear. Reviews have been universally high.

I will probably pick it up once my back log clears up a bit...[/QUOTE]

It's odd that they give that edge right after saying fps is worse, which is more important to me than graphics.

Hello all, I know I made this a separate post, my mistake, should have just posted it here. I have closed the other thread so please don't hate too much ;)

Here is my question/Post:

Hello Everyone,

I just got home w/ my nice shiny copy of Dragon Age: Origins CE for the PS3. I wanted to first get the soundtrack and listen so I thought I could put it in my PS3 and maybe save the files as MP3 or at the least just listen to the soundtrack off the BD-Rom. However, it says to insert into computer.

I say, "Ok, I will put it into my MacBook Pro". Once inserted though (2008 Model MBP w/ DVD Burner Superdrive), my computer just tries to read it then spits it out. I have done a quick search online to no avail and was wondering if any of you have had this issue or is a PC/Mac w/ a Blu Ray drive actually required for me to listen to the soundtrack?

Thanks for any feedback and if this is posted somewhere else let me know, I did a search here on cag and couldn't find anything about it.

-cdrober

[quote name='Saint Noir']If it is a blu ray disc it would have to be a blu ray player/drive to read the files on the computer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was afraid of that, I know they used to have some dual CD/DVD discs out there before or something kind of similar where 1 layer was of one format and another layer was another format. Still though I think they should have let it be playable in the PS3...ohh well.

Was a pretty big oversight , i'm in the same boat have no way of getting the extras off the disc. Ah well someone will post the content somewhere else sooner or later.

I did the dragon age flash game as well as the character creator. I wonder how this translates from the EA account to the game. Anyone done this yet? I want the items i worked for.

I picked this up this morning but haven't really dug into it yet. One thing that is definitely standing out so far is the horrible way the Stone Prisoner DLC is handled. Why do I need to tie it to an EA account through the game menu? The PSN is there for a reason just give me a code that I can enter on the XMB. Talk about making things complicated for no reason.

[quote name='Bluth Superfan']I picked this up this morning but haven't really dug into it yet. One thing that is definitely standing out so far is the horrible way the Stone Prisoner DLC is handled. Why do I need to tie it to an EA account through the game menu?[/QUOTE]
Gamesharers, probably. You probably wouldn't have to do it if people didn't abuse the shit out of PSN's freedom.

Finally got around to starting this tonight. Not really far into the game but first impressions are so so for me, Im hoping the story makes up for the initial things that are bugging me. For one the frame rate issue, also the game hiccuping during cut scenes as well which seems very unpolished in my opinion. Second I don't think this game looks very good, I mean it may be because Im fresh off playing Demons souls and got used to its beauty but Im glad I got the ps3 version from what Ive been reading the 360 one is even worse. Now I know some people may defend the look of the game but myself I think its more of that I know what a great game is capable of looking like on a next gen system and I dont think its unreasonable for us to expect high quality. I almost wish they took the time to polish the game a little more and stuck with the later release date. I'll probably log a few hours tomorrow and see if I can get more into the games story.

I don't think the game looks too bad, the spotty framerate is a bit disappointing, but it's not too bad. The gameplay more than makes up for the graphical shortcomings. Managing inventory, skills, talents, and behavior is fantastic. If you're like me, and you spend more time in menus comparing stats and tinkering with your characters than you do actually playing, this game has so much to offer. The dialogue is great, and I already know I will be playing through multiple times, even if only to see the various backstories and doalogue paths.

Played maybe 7 or 8 hours so far, and I absolutely love it. I will forever support BioWare!

Yeah I'm really digging this game so far as well. All of the frame rate and graphical glitches that the game has seem like typical Bioware to me though. They always seem to make games that aren't *quite* up to par technically but always make up for it with compelling writing and game play. I've only played for about 4 hours but the game is quickly sinking its claws into me. Is it bad that I really want Mass Effect 2 now?

I got hosed by bestbuy. They didn't have the PS3 CE on release even though I preorderd. They did let me switch my preorder to 360. I have about 8 hours into the game. I like it sofar The character banter is golden.

Morrigan sounds very familiar. ;)

Game is pretty good (got it on PC). I love the idea of different origins - can't wait to start over. How is the PS3 version? Do you fight like FFXII or like Fable? And can you control the other characters/pause time?

Yeah the game is like a hybrid of FFXII and Fable on the consoles. You can setup your AI routines like in FFXII and can use hotkeys much like Fable. And you can definitely pause the battles and control your other party members.

From what I've read, the battles on the PC just have a slicker interface in the same vein as WoW or other MMOs and has an option for an overhead view during battles. I have noticed minor issues with framerates and FMVs being jittery but it's just typical Bioware glitches, nothing MAJOR.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Anyone pick this up? I may after I finish with Borderlands
~S[/QUOTE]

fuck i've put in 80 hours already with Borderlands. I'm assuming i'll at least triple that before i'm done with it. :D

[quote name='SynGamer']?

How is day one DLC (that costs money) a reward for buying the game instead of renting? That content should either be free or on the damn disc![/QUOTE]

Wow. We agree on something.

As for this game, if it's some turn based shit like KOTOR was, that's even more reason for me to pass on it besides the fact that it's been developed and published by wholly owned EA companies.

EA is the fuckin' Ma Bell of video games.

[quote name='SynGamer']?

This is made worse due to the fact that an in game Npc will explain how he wants you to complete an important quest for him but will shamelessly tell you it cost $7 so you can play it. Also without paying for this quest you don't get anywhere to store you extra loot, sure you can expand you backpack a bit but you shouldn't have to pay for storage in a game like this. But with EA and there overly blatent advertising in Madden I guess its not surprising since they bought out Bioware to expect this. Now Im just waiting for them to start selling various Armors, Weapons, etc at a premium that should've been included to begin with but they'd rather hock for a profit ala Sims furniture, etc.

That's why I said EA is like the Ma Bell of the gaming industry. They know they have gamers who like some of the games they release by the ballsack, so they know they can get the suckers to pay for every little thing. It's sickening.

Microtransactions, digital downloads and DLC that should've been included in the damn games to begin with are what will cause the new gaming crash. Consumers can only put up with so much before they say ENOUGH.

[quote name='blissskr']This is made worse due to the fact that an in game Npc will explain how he wants you to complete an important quest for him but will shamelessly tell you it cost $7 so you can play it. Also without paying for this quest you don't get anywhere to store you extra loot, sure you can expand you backpack a bit but you shouldn't have to pay for storage in a game like this. But with EA and there overly blatent advertising in Madden I guess its not surprising since they bought out Bioware to expect this. Now Im just waiting for them to start selling various Armors, Weapons, etc at a premium that should've been included to begin with but they'd rather hock for a profit ala Sims furniture, etc.[/QUOTE]

Wow, if I knew about that I don't know if I still would have gotten the game.

It's still a great game though.

[quote name='whoknows']Wow, if I knew about that I don't know if I still would have gotten the game.

It's still a great game though.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why people would pass on a great game because of some dumb DLC practices by companies like EA.

Just don't buy it and enjoy the game!!! :bouncy:

This game has reminded me why I don't buy a lot of EA titles. The DLC stuff is atrocious no matter how they try to spin it. Not sure how they got away with requiring your content to be tied to your EA account instead of just your LIVE/PSN account. Also the ingame NPC's hawking DLC is pretty lame. I explored the full dialogue tree with the guy in my camp without knowing who he was. When I got to the end and he asked for real money I was :rofl:

Aside from that the game is incredible and I am willing to put up with the crap because RPGs like this are few and far between.

Hit an interesting bug. I have the game set to toggle the radial menu open, and in one relatively hectic battle amid a flurry of command issuing the game stuck so that it was paused when the radial menu was closed and unpaused when it was open. Issuing a command didn't fix it, either.

This naturally made it very difficult to do things, heh.

I don't know what I'd do without Shale. I switched in Alistair to tank for a little while and proceeded to get obliterated by the next mob of enemies I fought.

bread's done
Back