XBLA - Deal of the Week: Hasbro Family Game Night (400 pts each game)

shlby

CAGiversary!
"Xbox LIVE Gold Members can save 50% when they purchase any of the Hasbro Family Game Night games.Normally priced at 800 points, this week Battleship, Connect 4, Scrabble, Yahtzee, Boggle and Sorry Sliders are 400 points each".

The deal applies to all games and not just the ones mentioned from the press release.

There is a licensing issue for scrabble in Europe and I think that game remains to be 800 pts. (not completely sure though)

Anyways here is the list of games:

Scrabble
Connect 4
Battleship
Yahtzee
Sorry
Sorry Sliders
Boggle

Another note to consider is that the retail version containing all these games in disc form is due out Nov 3, at the price of $40.

Sorry is not on sale and is still 800 points. I presume this is so that the total comes to $40 which is the MSRP on the disc version.

They are all on sale for 400 including Sorry. There was apparently a problem with Sorry but it was fixed. The licensing issue with Scrabble isn't causing it to be 10 dollars...it is just preventing it from being released in the UK at all.

Hmm, so buy all these at $35, or the retail version for $40 (probably cheaper soon after release) and then get something back for it via trade-in. I think I'll pass. Thanks for the post tho!

[quote name='MasterYensid']Anyone know if the achievements for the retail version will be stackable with the XBox Live versions?[/QUOTE]
I'm sure they will stack. Its the same game(s), just on a disk.

[quote name='basis']is it true that arcade titles (that have gone retail) cannot be installed on a 360's HDD?[/QUOTE]

If they could, then there would be no point to buy the game... you could just rent it and rip it.

Think buddy, think.

[quote name='Gertle627']Hmm, so buy all these at $35, or the retail version for $40 (probably cheaper soon after release) and then get something back for it via trade-in. I think I'll pass. Thanks for the post tho![/QUOTE]

There are 6 games, all at 5 dollars...so it will only be $30.

[quote name='basis']is it true that arcade titles (that have gone retail) cannot be installed on a 360's HDD?[/QUOTE]

You can install the disc to the drive, but it won't do you any good as you will still need the disc in to play them. This was the case with the Arcade Unplugged titles.

[quote name='Gertle627']Hmm, so buy all these at $35, or the retail version for $40 (probably cheaper soon after release) and then get something back for it via trade-in. I think I'll pass. Thanks for the post tho![/QUOTE]
Good point but is Scrabble on the disk?

[quote name='zenintrude']If they could, then there would be no point to buy the game... you could just rent it and rip it.

Think buddy, think.[/QUOTE]

what i meant was install the games and still have the retail disc for authentication in the drive like any other retail game that we have on the x360.

ah my bad. webdoggy answered. thx.

[quote name='Galego23']clever of them to put these games "on sale" with the retail version coming out soon. M$ at it's finest.[/QUOTE]

I guess it is better than the $70 some folks were paying... :bomb:

I thought I'd be interested, but that was before I knew a retail version would be coming out. CAG has taught me that, as long as I'm patient for a little while, I'll be able to find this for cheap. I don't see this staying at $40 for very long - my gut tells me it's going to hit $20 sooner rather than later.

So, pass for now, pick this up on the cheap later. Uno was more fun than I expected on Live, and these could be fun too. :)

[quote name='webdoggy']You can install the disc to the drive, but it won't do you any good as you will still need the disc in to play them. This was the case with the Arcade Unplugged titles.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I can install Arcade Unplugged to my hard drive, but the games won't show up as "on" my hard drive unless the disc is in.

All will be on the disc except for Scrabble. So if you are interested in having that game you might as well buy it now for 400msp, instead 0f 800... Just a thought!

[quote name='webdoggy']There are 6 games, all at 5 dollars...so it will only be $30.[/QUOTE]
There are 7 games for a total of $35.

[quote name='tyrok3k']There are 7 games for a total of $35.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right. I'm not sure which one I didn't count. I had even went through the xbox.com page counting them.

[quote name='basis']what i meant was install the games and still have the retail disc for authentication in the drive like any other retail game that we have on the x360.

ah my bad. webdoggy answered. thx.[/QUOTE]

Really? That was your sticking point keeping you from purchasing them? Connect Four's load times weren't fast enough..? :)

If I jump on it, I'll just get this piecemeal. It's a deal if you don't plan on ever playing the other games like Sorry. I only have interest in the word games like Scrabble so even if the retail disc came down to $10, it still wouldn't be worth it for me. If I had to use a retail disc for Uno I never would have touched it.

[quote name='Galego23']clever of them to put these games "on sale" with the retail version coming out soon. M$ at it's finest.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

First, this is CAG. There probably isn't a single person here that pays full price for their points. I don't keep track, but I know my average is below 50%. So all these games would be about $15.

Second, these aren't games you want on a disc. These are the epitome of convenience being on the hard drive. Quick and easy games you can play in short bursts. No one is going to break out a disc for for a single round of Yahtzee.

Third, what kind of resale will that disc really have in the long run? All the arcade discs can be had for pennies on the dollar. I don't see why this one will retain any resale value.

Fourth, M$? Really? What is this, 1999?

Are these games playable online and are people playing them? Also, can multiple local people play online at the same time? I've got two kids and they'd like to play online with their friends at the same time. So two or three on our 360 playing against friends online. Is that possible?

Also, do they support voice chat? If all that is true I can see getting these as downloads since they are timeless games that we won't want to be getting rid of for many years, and so any return from a trade-in would be far off and probably not worth squat. So paying a little less for the download version is a win in our case, not to mention not having to deal with a disc.

[quote name='crunchewy']Are these games playable online and are people playing them? [/QUOTE]

A user over on DVDtalk recommended them all but Battleship. It's not really a game you can play local because of cheating and apparently no one plays it online. That could change after this sale, but that's a gamble.

[quote name='Corvin']
Fourth, M$? Really? What is this, 1999?[/QUOTE]

I agree. People who do that are rather annoying.

Anyway, Scrabble is actually quite good and well worth the $5. Even the new mode they added is pretty fun for short play sessions.

However, 'zen' isn't in the game's dictionary. 'Tit' is recognized but 'tits' isn't. Darn that dictionary!

Buy these as DLC, it's so much more convenient than the damn disc, and if like me, you have 2 xboxs, you can install it on 1 and still play it on the other xbox, so you can compete against your own family.

Damn now I wish ChessMaster would go on discount.

[quote name='Corvin']A user over on DVDtalk recommended them all but Battleship. It's not really a game you can play local because of cheating and apparently no one plays it online. That could change after this sale, but that's a gamble.[/QUOTE]

That is why each player does random setup so neither can see.

The real cheating is in Scrabble, with all the programs there are.

According to the description up to 4 peoplecan play on one console so I don't see why (except for battleship) you'd need more then one 360 to play against family members, but can you have more then one local player and play online against others? I'm hoping the answer is yes, but guessing not. Anyone know?

[quote name='eastx']I agree. People who do that are rather annoying.

Anyway, Scrabble is actually quite good and well worth the $5. Even the new mode they added is pretty fun for short play sessions.

However, 'zen' isn't in the game's dictionary. 'Tit' is recognized but 'tits' isn't. Darn that dictionary![/QUOTE]
I agree. Scrabble is by far the best game of the lot and well worth 400 MS. My wife loves it. Highly recommended if you have a "significant other" who isn't into games that much. After 5 months of playing people online, her friends list rivals my son's.

I'd buy em if the online wasn't so shitty. If anyone quits from a game (rage quit typically) the game ends, even if there are other players still playing. Gets really old losing a long scrabble game at the last minute because some douchebag quit early.

Pass unless you're just playing locally.

Or you could play online with friends, who surely wouldn't ragequit on you. Matchmaking does suck, unfortunately.

[quote name='Porksta']That is why each player does random setup so neither can see.
[/QUOTE]

Good point. I gave the demo a spin last night and it's more monotonous than UNO. A... A... A... A... lol

Also for anyone who has an iPhone I highly recommend getting Scrabble for $5 there instead.

Got Yahtzee and Scrabble. Scrabble's online is terrible...the host will always quit it seems on the last turn if they're not gonna win. Mostly bought it for the upcoming holidays when I go home to visit. Yahtzee is loads of fun...5 dollars to have pretty much an unlimited supply of pads and never losing the dice? Score!

I saw a lot of people saying how awesome Sorry Sliders is. Any truth to that? I tried the demo, and I guess it seems like it'd be fun (I thought it seemed like it could make a hilarious drinking game), but it also seems pretty basic.

Hmm, I'd only get Connect Four (I LOVE that game), but does anyone know if anyone plays online? If not, I'll just stick to the real copy I have

[quote name='wariofart']Hmm, I'd only get Connect Four (I LOVE that game), but does anyone know if anyone plays online? If not, I'll just stick to the real copy I have[/QUOTE]

Meh, from what I've seen, there are ~10 lobbies max at any time, and that covers EVERY game. But I think I mostly see people in Connect Four and Battleship. I doubt it'd take too long to find some players if you hosted. But it's certainly on the lower-end as far as players go.

[quote name='Megaten']Meh, from what I've seen, there are ~10 lobbies max at any time, and that covers EVERY game. But I think I mostly see people in Connect Four and Battleship. I doubt it'd take too long to find some players if you hosted. But it's certainly on the lower-end as far as players go.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much what has kept me from buying some XBLA games that I am interested in. The online modes for most of them, except the most popular ones, die pretty quick. There are a lot of games I own, like SmashTV, that are great to play with someone else, but I can never, ever get a game going.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']This is pretty much what has kept me from buying some XBLA games that I am interested in. The online modes for most of them, except the most popular ones, die pretty quick. There are a lot of games I own, like SmashTV, that are great to play with someone else, but I can never, ever get a game going.[/QUOTE]

That's what friend invites are for. :)

[quote name='pimpster4183']are there any people online playing these games?[/QUOTE]

Reading the thread before posting is a great and wonderful thing.

Scrabble, Yatzee and Boggle are all worth it. They're solid games with good legs.

Sorry Sliders is simple, but kind of fun shuffleboard game -- a little hard to aim and shoot accurately, though. Sorry! is a mess with bad controls. Connect Four is very simple and might not even be worth $5 to you, but it does make for a fun quick game with a kid or significant other. Battleship I don't think translates too well, but I ended up buying it too to complete the set. Most won't want to get all, but Scrabble, Yatzee, and Boggle for 1200 points is a fine deal that can give lots of entertainment value.

bread's done
Back