Join the CAG Extra Life Gaming Marathon Charity Team! - Saturday 10/17/09

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
How to Participate

1) Sign up (or just donate) and join the CAG team

2) After you register, send out your personal link to your friends and family to get them to sponsor you. They will sponsor you a specific dollar amount x 24 hours, the length of the gaming marathon.

3) Post your individual page link in this thread and I'll add it to the master list below.

4) Extra Life begins at exactly 8:00 AM in your local timezone on Saturday, October 17th and ends at 8:00 AM in your local timezone on Sunday, October 18th. You now have an awesome excuse to play games all day!

About Extra Life

Extra Life is a 24-hour charity gaming marathon that aims to raise money to fight pediatric cancer. Extra Life is working in partnership with Texas Children’s Hospital and all funds are earmarked for the Texas Children’s Cancer Center.
It’s really easy to help out. All you have to do is sign up (and join the CAG team) at the Texas Children’s Hospital donation site for Extra Life. The site makes it easy to send out requests for donations to people you know. Those people donate and you get credit for obtaining the donation. On October 17th at 8am (in your local timezone) you just play games for 24 hours. It’s that simple. FAQ

CAG Team Members

Sponsor individuals by clicking through their page and donating! If you want to sponsor the team in general, click here.

CheapyD
Wombat
mxysterygamer
MotzCTG
LimpDaddy
morph3us
TravistyOJ
dwhelan
DrMunkee
TG_Antifire
greatAuk
fokis02
cdrober
pixi

Last edited by a moderator:
I also didn't join, but made donations on behalf of my wife and I for both Cheapy and Wombat. I'll send the link around to see if my friends and family want to donate.

How about getting some Uncharted 2 multiplayer up on this joint?

Cheapy...I was trying to switch teams (don't tell my wife...I couldn't resist the Wombat style joke) from Sarcastic Gamer to CAG, but it doesn't look like I can do that. I will see if can create another account for the CAG team...thought I will only be able to do the $24, since I can't move the other money I have raised ;(

What are we playing??? Uncharted 2 multi... ODST Firefight...straight up Halo 3 multi...do I need to re-buy LFD?

Too short of a notice, Cheapy, plus I have plans on Sunday, but I'll sponsor you and Wombat. Maybe next year.

If it wasn't my weekend of recovery from being on-call at work I'd do it. As it is, I'll probably only be awake 8 hours on Saturday. Maybe next time the timing will work out better.

Cheapy is a bit late on the draw here though. Most game related sites I visit have had something about this up for a few weeks now.

I honestly don't think I could stay up 24 hours straight anymore...I feel old...and I don't get sleep during the week.

But anyway, I'll just play video games for a few hours and maybe donate some money :p.

[quote name='SpazX']I honestly don't think I could stay up 24 hours straight anymore...I feel old...and I don't get sleep during the week.

But anyway, I'll just play video games for a few hours and maybe donate some money :p.[/QUOTE]

Well it is all honor system based, and they just ask that you at somepoint play your 24 hours of game-age(whether iits all at once is up to you). I'll do my best, but yeah 24 hours straight at my age with a baby in house, yikes.

It will be rough, but I plan on UStreaming the full 24 hours live to the internets so the people who donated can check up if they wish.

That and I will have friends with me playing.

Hey! Is there any penalty for joining and not raising a lot of money?
I'm a poor college student, and so are most of my friends. I would still love to try to raise like forty or fifty bucks, though.

One more question. Can somebody donate just like...$10 flat...without the whole $1 x 24 thing? I might be able to scrunch up a bunch of people who could donate...say...$5....but not $24.

[quote name='DrMunkee']Hey! Is there any penalty for joining and not raising a lot of money?
I'm a poor college student, and so are most of my friends. I would still love to try to raise like forty or fifty bucks, though.

One more question. Can somebody donate just like...$10 flat...without the whole $1 x 24 thing? I might be able to scrunch up a bunch of people who could donate...say...$5....but not $24.[/QUOTE]

You can donate as much or as little as you wish.

Well I'm set. Wife gave her approval.
Of course she wasn't to hard to convince, her 2 1/2 year old goddaughter is being treated there for leukemia.
So from her experience, I can say Texas Children's is a great place and they have taken great care of her.
Hopefully this fundraiser earns a lot for the hospital.

This is a good idea!
At most, I can donate only what I have.
I'd like to join very much
Can anybody sponsor me?

[quote name='DrMunkee']Man, you've got to love parents. They really know how to donate to charity...[/QUOTE]

I have to echo this, I spammed my personal email list and my Dad donated. But, ended up donating to Cheapy D (David abrams) instead of Tiny (David Whelan).

Definitely a good laugh and it all goes to the same cause :)

It is kind of weird, it is showing an Offline donation for me of $24, and it says that I made it, however I did not. It is verified by them and I can not remove it?? This happen to anyone else?

While I will be whittling the hours away playing way too much of the board game Space Hulk, I donated to the team. Good luck guys, I hope we break our fund-raising goal.

I did this last year and I am doing it again this year. I'll tell you, that 23rd and 24th hour can get rough. The skills don't maintain and the mind sometimes doesn't either but it is fun for a great cause. I am on the team that I was on last year but I am glad to see CAG get involved in this and I will be looking for CAGs in Uncharted 2 which is going to be my go to game with some light mixes of some other stuff. DOn't forget to take the iPod touch, iPhone, DS or PSP to the bathroom with you and if you eat at the table make sure you can see the TV.

Remember board games count if you need to spend some of the time gaming with kids, friends and family during the 24 hours.

I'm getting pumped. I have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of donations we have gotten even though we joined at the last minute.
Next year we will have to get going a little sooner. :)

Do we have a list of games that we want to play together? I am having a few friends come over for the 24 hours and here is my initial schedule that I put together:
Extra Life Event Plans:
Saturday:
6:30 AM - 7:45 AM : Breakfast (Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Hash browns, Toast)
7:45 AM - 8:00 AM: Finish setup and prepare for gaming.
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: 18 Holes early in the morning on Tiger Woods 2010 for the Wii.
9:00 AM - 9:45 AM: Race around the course with Super Mario Kart on the SNES.
9:45 AM - 11: 15 AM: Time to Rock Out with a little Rock Band
11:15 AM - 12:00 AM: Lock and Load and Drop in with Halo 3 ODST
12:00 PM - 12: 30 PM : Lunch Break + Poker.
12:30 PM - 3:00 PM: Did I mention we love Halo 3 ODST....
3:00 PM - 4:30 PM: Classy with board games it is Carcassonne on XBLA.
4:30 PM - 6:00 PM: So many blocks falling it has to be a party with Tetris Party on Wii Ware.
6:00 PM - 6:30 PM: PIZZA & Scrabble Slam
6:30 PM - 10:00 PM: The Ultimate Show down in Street Fighter IV
10:00 PM - 10:30 PM: Holy crap I programmed some of this game... Its SHRED NEBULA TIME!
10:30 PM - 12:00 AM: Sing your heart outs in Sing Star.
12:00 AM - 2:00 AM: Did someone say Halo ODST???? I think they did.
2:00 AM - 3:00 AM: Put on your gloves for some Fight Night Round 3.
3:00 AM - 5:00 AM: Nintendo Characters battle it out in Smash Bros. Brawl.
5:00 AM - 5:30 AM: Early Morning at the bowling alley with Wii Sports Bowling.
5:30 AM - 6:00 AM: Still at the bowling alley hit up the arcade for TMNT 1989!
6:00AM - 8:00 AM: Whatever is left and we still want to play....
8:00 AM: PANCAKES!!!!!!!!!

Again I just threw this together for me and my friends.

[quote name='MotzCTG']Do we have a list of games that we want to play together? I am having a few friends come over for the 24 hours and here is my initial schedule that I put together:
Extra Life Event Plans:
Saturday:
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: 18 Holes early in the morning on Tiger Woods 2010 for the Wii.
4:30 PM - 6:00 PM: So many blocks falling it has to be a party with Tetris Party on Wii Ware.
10:00 PM - 10:30 PM: Holy crap I programmed some of this game... Its SHRED NEBULA TIME!

Again I just threw this together for me and my friends.[/QUOTE]

Nice...but...6:30AM!?!? Do you love sleep deprivation or something?

I'm going to milk out every minute of sleep. Probably going to sleep until 7:58, then roll over and grab the psp.

The girlfriend leaves for work at 7AM so to make her happy for allowing this 24 hour gaming session I am going to have to wake up and make her breakfast. I will most likely go to bed a bit earlier tomorrow night.

[quote name='MotzCTG']Do we have a list of games that we want to play together? I am having a few friends come over for the 24 hours and here is my initial schedule that I put together:
Extra Life Event Plans:
Saturday:

Again I just threw this together for me and my friends.[/QUOTE]
Daamn can i come round and join in? Sounds like a ton-O-fun. wish i wasn't so busy with work ;(

Playing in Honor of my uncle Mark, who we lost too luekemia.

won't let me post a link though...new user.

I'm not sure if it will let me join your team given that I already had my own page.

really glad this exsist too i was receently informed a close friend of mine has two types of cancer and its been real rough, i just wish it didnt take something so tragic to open up my eyes and make me wanna do sum good!

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Weird. I had $108 and then it went back down to $84. Does that mean someone withdrew a donation?[/QUOTE]

I think what happened was if you donated to your own, it accidentally put an offline donation as well in your account, and they just fixed it. That happened to me, I donated 24$ and it showed up twice, but today the offline one went away.

[quote name='MotzCTG']I think what happened was if you donated to your own, it accidentally put an offline donation as well in your account, and they just fixed it. That happened to me, I donated 24$ and it showed up twice, but today the offline one went away.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, thanks! Stinks, now I'm back under half.

bread's done
Back