Alexa toolbar official CAG opinion? Cheapy D? Mods?

Mr.Answer

CAGiversary!
So I have the Alexa toolbar installed as CAG recommends it to help register internet hits or something. My question is this: what exactly does Alexa do, and why does spybot classify ALEXA as spyware?

Alexa monitors what sites you visit, thus the spyware flag. Using that toolbar and visiting CAG helps the site gain a higher status with Alexa.

I'm all for supporting CAG, but Cheapy will just have to deal with my purchase of a CAG shirt and the revenue generated from the millions of dollars I spent through CAG referral links (mainly EB) in lieu of my not installing the Alexa toolbar. Spyware = bad.

From their privacy policy (apology for the caps, just cutting and pasting):

ALEXA'S TOOLBAR SERVICE COLLECTS AND STORES INFORMATION ABOUT THE WEB PAGES YOU VIEW, THE DATA YOU ENTER IN ONLINE FORMS AND SEARCH FIELDS, AND, WITH VERSIONS 5.0 AND HIGHER, THE PRODUCTS YOU PURCHASE ONLINE WHILE USING THE TOOLBAR SERVICE. ALTHOUGH ALEXA DOES NOT ATTEMPT TO ANALYZE WEB USAGE DATA TO DETERMINE THE IDENTITY OF ANY ALEXA USER, SOME INFORMATION COLLECTED BY THE TOOLBAR SERVICE IS PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE. ALEXA AGGREGATES AND ANALYZES THE INFORMATION IT COLLECTS TO IMPROVE ITS SERVICE AND TO PREPARE REPORTS ABOUT AGGREGATE WEB USAGE AND SHOPPING HABITS.

IN ADDITION, WHEN YOU PERFORM SEARCHES USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION AVAILABLE ON ALEXA'S TOOLBAR SERVICE SOFTWARE VERSION 6.5 AND HIGHER OR ON THE ALEXA WEBSITE, YOU OFTEN WILL BE TAKEN TO A WEBSITE DETAIL PAGE AT AMAZON.COM. IF YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT ON AMAZON.COM AND AN AMAZON.COM COOKIE ENABLED, YOUR SEARCH RESULTS WILL BE TRANSMITTED TO AND LOGGED BY AMAZON.COM AND MAY BE CORRELATED BY AMAZON.COM WITH ANY PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION YOU MAY HAVE PREVIOUSLY PROVIDED TO AMAZON.COM.

Don't use the Alexa crap. Cheapy is doing just fine with referrals.

Alexa's rankings are based on how many people with their crap look at the sites, so the results are skewed towards what stupid people look at, since only a stupid person would install such a thing. But I'm sure he'll get tons of traffic from stupid people if he plugs the site on Cold Pizza.

[quote name='dafoomie']Don't use the Alexa crap. Cheapy is doing just fine with referrals.

Alexa's rankings are based on how many people with their crap look at the sites, so the results are skewed towards what stupid people look at, since only a stupid person would install such a thing. But I'm sure he'll get tons of traffic from stupid people if he plugs the site on Cold Pizza.[/quote]+

That may be, but I'd rather here it from him.
I use firefox, and don't have alexa installed on there, I run IE with alexa and basically only use it to view CAG, I bit goofy maybe, but since Cheapy made the request I try to do my part. But if things are just peachy with only referalls, than I would cease using IE entirely.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13409&highlight=alexa+toolbar

(Link of Cheapy asking CAGers to install)

Don't make a new topic, but get a mod to move this to CAG News & Feedback if you want an official response. I doubt it'll be answered lingering down here in Off-Topic.

This topic has been moved. Please read the forum descriptions before posting. Thanks!

The preceding message was brought to you by CheapyD and the Cheap Ass Moderators

If you are thinking about it this much, you probably should just not install it. Its not worth either you or I losing sleep over it.

Well I slept pretty good last night so its no big problem. Just checking to see if its 'endorsed' or not.

But could one get an 'official' answer. Would CAG be helped by CAGers using Alexa? or would you tell us all to not use it?

For a guy named "Mr. Answer", you sure do ask a lot of questions ;)
Yes, CAG would be helped by CAGs using Alexa.
It gives me some juice when dealing with other companies/sites if I have a good Alexa ranking. I know it sounds stupid, but it does help.
I have it installed on all the PCs I use, although I mostly use Firefox.
But when I use IE, its 100% hot Alexa action, all the way baby!

[quote name='CheapyD']For a guy named "Mr. Answer", you sure do ask a lot of questions ;)
Yes, CAG would be helped by CAGs using Alexa.
It gives me some juice when dealing with other companies/sites if I have a good Alexa ranking. I know it sounds stupid, but it does help.
I have it installed on all the PCs I use, although I mostly use Firefox.
But when I use IE, its 100% hot Alexa action, all the way baby![/quote]

Mr Answer also means one keeps asking questions till one gets the answer. Thanks for the reply. I'll keep using my 'dual' set up of IE-CAG-ALEXA and Firefox for everything else.

bread's done
Back