CAGcast #175: The Citizen Kane of Podcasts

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]The game industry is not waiting for its formative podcasting masterpieces to materialize from the hazy future. It's here, right now, walking among us. The future was 2005, and in many ways we have yet to surpass it. Like Citizen Kane, the CAGcast is a landmark in both technical innovation and pure creativity.

[podcast]84[/podcast]
Download - 95 minutes, 40MB

Review us on iTunes!

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$6.95 domain = CAGDOMAIN [/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']Please tell me that outro was more of a tribute than sad and ironic.[/QUOTE]It was supposed to be a tribute.

Well that's good, then.

When it comes to Bayonetta, the differences between the 2 versions are thus (From the demo):
- Locked 60fps gameplay with no tearing vs. 30-60 frames per second with lots of screen tearing
- Everything runs in realtime, even during cutscenes vs. Cutscenes are just a recorded version of the other version, and looks visually bad
- 360 demo has the falling clocktower scene while the PS3 version has 2 bosses at the end of it

I've played both versions, and as a person who knows this type of game really well, those are the glaring differences.

Oh, and I can back Wombat up on one thing: Duck Tales (NES) is awesome! So are Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers and Batman (NES).

i think shipwreck should at least be on every other podcast if not all of them. having cheapy d's and wombat's perspectives are good but shipwreck really knows his shit when it comes to games. not taking anything away from wombat and cheapy but shipwreck seems to be more organized. lol

I've read some of the negative reviews people have posted on the podcast in general (on itunes) and some of them go along the lines of, "They talk too much about their personal lives" I feel that those conversations are what give the podcast its charm. I feel like I'm just listening to a couple of well-informed guys not an awkward scripted "celebrity" host like X-play. On that note X-play use to have that charm when it did skits joking on gaming cliches or overall gaming culture but it seems it traded to I guess focus more on the casual viewer.

I have to vote against Shipwreck. Nothing at all against him - I like him and enjoyed CAG Foreplay - but I really like the chemistry between Cheapy and Wombat and when a third person is there it doesn't quite work.

Great Cagcast guys. I went to Tokyo Disney last June when i visited Japan for 2 weeks it was great although it was a hot time of year to go. I think shipwreck is a great addition to the cagcast should be a permanent presence.

I would LOVE to see Shipwreck in every episode. Nothing against you guys, I just think the dynamic of three people is better than two.

Yeah, the fader in DJ Hero isn't used until you're at least at medium difficulty. Let me tell you, when it is introduced into gameplay, it gets much more difficult IMO.

On a side note, I enjoy Shipwreck on the show.

I think the podcast is better when Shipwreck is not on it. I like Ship but the show feels strange when he is on it. I hope he doesn't become a regular part of the show. Every once in a while is good.

Licenced games used to kick ass back in the day. Ducktales, Chip n'Dales Rescue Rangers, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose, Aladdin for Genesis, etc.

You have one of smallest podcast with only the two of you. Might as well add shipwreck as the third man at least until cagforeplay is on the regular again.

[quote name='Virgil_Leone']I've read some of the negative reviews people have posted on the podcast in general (on itunes) and some of them go along the lines of, "They talk too much about their personal lives" I feel that those conversations are what give the podcast its charm. I feel like I'm just listening to a couple of well-informed guys not an awkward scripted "celebrity" host like X-play. On that note X-play use to have that charm when it did skits joking on gaming cliches or overall gaming culture but it seems it traded to I guess focus more on the casual viewer.[/QUOTE]

I agree...the NON GAME related aspects of the show are what i appreciate the most. To be honest, if the cagcast were just a quick rundown of game reviews, I would go elsewhere.

Wombat's most recent tweet was wondering why Shipwreck was mad at him... hmmm maybe because he is too insecure to let another guy (who knows more than he does about video games) on a podcast

Really? That's pretty petty, and I would of course expect nothing less from a doucher who went to Pitt. Weak sauce, let Shipwreck on the show.

Cheapy....

When talking about Ty's cost for container -- Nice Chris Rock reference in the movie "I'm Gonna Get you sucka!"

"Pour it in my hand for a dime."

Was waiting for the line, " Got change for a hundred?"

I got DJ Hero on preorder from toysrus and it didnt get canceled yet. Even got an email from Toysrus saying they are going to fulfill order in the future.

Physical Media versus Direct Downloads

There is a time and place for everything. In the beginning of this generation I remember quotes saying, “Blu-Ray isn’t needed and everything is going Digital.” This sounded crazy then and now those same people wouldn’t even repeat those words without shame. Physical media is necessary to deliver a High Level HD Video and Audio experience when it comes to Games and Movies. Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD have proven that.

In terms of Gaming The PS3 has pushed the envelope with titles such as Metal Gear Solid 4, MLB The Show, Uncharted 1 & 2, Resistance 1 & 2, and Killzone 2 to name a few. Unfortunately Internet download speeds are not fast enough or widely available to warrant a mass adoption of Direct Download of all types of media, High Definition Video and Audio in particular. Direct Download/Digital Distribution is ideal for Handheld Devices and impulse media, when you’re not looking for the complete AV experience, and you’re just looking to get the content. IPods have shown that when you are on the go, you don’t want to carry a portion of your library of media with physical discs, instead you want to take just the device and your media should be already on it and ready to go.

Digital Downloads aren’t good for Retailers

My Concern is not for retailers especially with regards to used game sales, since gamers get the short end of the stick as well as developers and publishers. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. The only thing that the used games market has created is a stronger push for digital downloads, because game companies want to avoid getting shut out or losing money by the success of the used game market.

• Gamer trades in used game and gets less than 50% what he paid for it!
• Used Game is then sold for 5% less than a new copy!

I don’t see how anyone can see this as a benefit for anyone other than that game store. Gamers might save $5 bucks but you’re losing $30 or more of what you initially paid. People always complain about innovation in games and they wonder why so many development studios go under, one large factor is the Used Games Market.

Retailers seem to be fine with IPods, what makes the Go Different?

If retailers have issues with the PSPGo, why are there no issues with the IPod since it’s exactly the same product type? Retailers sell the hardware and only have accessories to sell with it or iTunes cards. Retailers have put themselves into this situation, the original PSP wasn’t getting pushed and even before the Go it was hidden at retail. Now Retail isn’t needed to push PSP games for the original PSPs and the PSPGo, and they’re only option is to push people back on Physical Media like the PSP models that use UMD. If you can sell IPods then you can sell the PSPGo, there is absolutely no difference, retailers have made their bed and you know the rest. Digital Distribution devices are already here and it’s only getting bigger, Steam, iTunes, and even GameStop has a Direct Download service.

Digital Distribution and legacy game archives

I recently heard one podcast concerned about not being able to get a copy of game years down the road if it’s all digital, but it seems that getting a digital copy is always going to be much easier than finding a physical copy later down the line. Good examples of this would be older PC titles, which have shown up on Steam and for a greatly reduced price. On the PSN we already have Final Fantasy 7 on the PSN and prior to that it was already extremely hard to find a physical copy. Now for a much lower price it’s in the hands of well over 100,000 gamers years later. Also it’s much easier to backup a Digital Download, than it is a Copyrighted piece of physical media Legally for the most part.

Price Point versus Functionality

When the DSi came out it was $40 more than the DSlite and removed the GBA slot, obviously you could still play your DS cartridges. DSLite owners who wanted to upgrade had the same dilemma as Large UMD library owners myself included.
I think the only positive to come out of the $249 price tag was the outlook of the PSP in general, people are reporting about how impressive the PSP. This was something you heard the exact opposite of prior to the launch of the PSPGo. The main quote, “ My PSP is collecting Dust” but I guess they feel differently now that a new Version of the PSP is out he? Either way the PSPGo is $50 dollars more than a basic PSP Bundle, which includes a greatest hits game, a 2GB memory Card and a download voucher. The PSP Base Model is $80 less than the PSPGo and doesn’t come with anything, not even a memory card. So for comparison sake let’s compare the Base Model, you’re not going to get Bluetooth or a small form factor and you’ll need at least $60 to get a 16Gb memory Stick Pro Duo. So the difference between the 2 devices is $20 bucks if you’re not looking for portability or the Bluetooth features. In addition you’ll be unable to connect a PS3 controller to your PSP without using a PS3 and you don’t have the option of pausing your games and accessing the XMB or upgrading to greater than 16 or 32GB. The only drawback is the loss of UMD, which when the PSP was getting ridiculed initially, the main complaint was, “Get Rid of UMD!”

Short Term Memory of the Media with regards to UMD

Remember when:
PSP phone mod ain’t pretty, but it rings
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/08/ps...-but-it-rings/

“In a striking departure from the initial blueprint, the world’s first “PSP Phone” has killed two birds with one stone:
• Added a working phone feature (Check!)
• Got rid of that blasted UMD drive (Check!)
We’re not sure which is more preposterous: Quadrupling the size of your cell phone (and in turn, clutching a PSP to your ear), or cutting a hole in your PSP and gluing a cell phone in there? Sony, please take this as a sign that folks are getting mighty desperate for the real thing.”

PSP phone mod is really exactly what we were waiting for
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/08/p...e-waiting-for/

Call it off Sony, no need to throw any precious man hours into making your perennially #2 handheld into some sort of amazing featurephone hybrid, some hacker has already done it for you. Through the amazing wonders of modern thinphone technology, soldering irons and probably a bit of glue, some hacker has managed the slap a Haier touchscreen phone onto the back of his PSP — killing the UMD drive in the process, but we’d say it was well worth it.

Rumored new, UMD-free PSP model very plausible
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...tiple-skus.ars

Without any way of playing older games on UMD, the rumor states that Sony will be releasing 100 games on the online store so you can download a library from day one, and of course Patapon 2 is a “test case” for releasing retail games in a download-only format. Put the big hits on the online store, release games as downloads moving forward, and you’ve all but erased the need for the UMD drive. There is also buzz that Gran Turismo Mobile may be the killer app for the new batch of downloadable content, which would make many gamers feel very friendly towards the system. Without UMDs, the battery life goes up, the cost of production may go down, and everyone wins.

David Perry: Sony Needs to Ditch UMD Format
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2007/09/david-perry-son/

They really need to bring out the PSP 3.0 and start again and try to get a lot of units out by reducing the manufacturing costs, by taking out all the motors and drives and stuff they have in there. That will make it even more sexy-looking, because it will be thinner again when they get all that junk out. Then, hopefully, the platform will actually get enough interest so that people will make a game specifically for it.
I think it’s funny how people change their tune so quickly, especially those in the media who put the information out there on the web.

Rewards Programs are nice but are Gamers entitled to it?

With all that being said this generation is mostly about people complaining about one thing or another, or something that’s not fair. It just seems strange to me that all these people feel they are entitled to an incentive to buying the latest version of hardware. There’s no incentive to buy new iPods or iphones when they upgrade every year, and you sure can’t trade them in towards a new purchase if you wanted to. So what makes people think this is something that should be expected? Madden, Call of Duty and all those annual games offer nothing for upgrading to the latest version, although it’s software it can be argued that it’s similar. In terms of gamers I wish there was a nice solution similar to what they’re offering in the UK. Although in terms of the gaming media how did they build this huge UMD library when just a month ago they were saying, “PSP Has no Games!”. Long end of the story is portable gaming has become even more exciting by the release of the PSPGo and I’m loving every minute of it!

[quote name='spineynorman']I have to vote against Shipwreck. Nothing at all against him - I like him and enjoyed CAG Foreplay - but I really like the chemistry between Cheapy and Wombat and when a third person is there it doesn't quite work.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you the the letter there. I love shipwreck on Foreplay, but if he's gonna be on every cagcast i might not listen to the cast that often anymore and i've never missed an episode to date, sad but true. The chemistry between cheapy and wombat is what keeps my interest, but i find myself forwarding through the episodes where shipwreck sits in, It's just not the same.

Once again i really like shipwreck and it's nothing personal, i just don't want to see the C & W chemistry go away.

[quote name='omnilaw']Physical Media versus Direct Downloads

There is a time and place for everything. In the beginning of this generation I remember quotes saying, “... Long end of the story is portable gaming has become even more exciting by the release of the PSPGo and I’m loving every minute of it![/QUOTE]

We get it, you hate the PSPGo and you wish it was never released.

Wombat needs to look up stuff on review embargos. They are put in place for two reasons:
1.- to ensure that all reviews go up at the same time and no one has a website traffice advantage as Cheapy said
2.- to give reviewers enough time to play the game comfortably as a normal-ish person
(if there were no embargos everyone would rush through the game to get it done as quick as possible to upload it and would have a crappier, more rushed, and stressful gaming experience that affects reviews.)

[quote name='chililili']Wombat needs to look up stuff on review embargos. They are put in place for two reasons:
1.- to ensure that all reviews go up at the same time and no one has a website traffice advantage as Cheapy said
2.- to give reviewers enough time to play the game comfortably as a normal-ish person
(if there were no embargos everyone would rush through the game to get it done as quick as possible to upload it and would have a crappier, more rushed, and stressful gaming experience that affects reviews.)[/QUOTE]

I hate that arguement because you assume that game pulishers need to act like parents and game reviewers are all children. I like to think in a free market of game reviews a select few would take to review games prooperly. Then as an educated consumer I would find reviews that I can trust.

CHEAPY, your Amazon Gift Certificates.....$187....you do know that 187 is the code for murder right? Oh jeez. Run Cheapy. That's why there was no description on the card.

I hit up Tokyo Disney sea/land last spring during my yearly trip to see the in-laws and it was a zoo, but still a good time. If you can afford to stay at the Ambassador hotel the buffet breakfast with the disney characters is super fun for the little ones, my 2 year old and niece loved it and still talk about it.

I vote yes for some shipwreck since he's not doing Foreplay anymore.

I have to say this is still my favorite video game podcast, i've been listening to jostiq the past few weeks and i am annoyed by the editing, skype sounds, sounds of the guys eating etc. the cagcast sounds much cleaner and is funnier.

-Shipwreck is a guest, keep it that way: a) He can be more informative about games because he plays more/knows more than the two of you
b) But he shouldn't be on every episode because when there are 3 of you there can be horrible delays between each person speaking. It kills the comedy/chemistry of the ambiguous duo because you're not able to react fast enough to get jokes in.

Also, what is The Citizen Kane? Is that a Hoobastank album

[quote name='Wombat']I hate that arguement because you assume that game pulishers need to act like parents and game reviewers are all children. I like to think in a free market of game reviews a select few would take to review games prooperly. Then as an educated consumer I would find reviews that I can trust.[/QUOTE]

I think you underestimate how important that is Wombat. Everything would be a huge rush all the time if there were never embargos.

[quote name='spineynorman']I have to vote against Shipwreck. Nothing at all against him - I like him and enjoyed CAG Foreplay - but I really like the chemistry between Cheapy and Wombat and when a third person is there it doesn't quite work.[/QUOTE]
I agree with you... it seems that whenever Shipwreck is there, the show gets more serious and it ends up being mostly Shipwreck reviewing obscure DS/Wii titles (80%) and little else is discussed (20%).

I like the chemistry between Cheapy and Wombat and how they sometimes (usually) end up talking about the most random stuff not related to games.

I like shipwreck as a co-host. You currently have two color commentators, so a play-by-play man would be nice. Of course he's going to be a little stiff and serious starting out... who wouldn't be, especially trying to find his role in an already established podcast. I don't think any of the other podcasts I listen to have less than 3 people, so that's not an issue either.

[quote name='Wombat']I hate that arguement because you assume that game pulishers need to act like parents and game reviewers are all children. I like to think in a free market of game reviews a select few would take to review games prooperly. Then as an educated consumer I would find reviews that I can trust.[/QUOTE]Wombat will the leave the world behind and start a new society under the sea where the free market will have no constraints. Welcome to "Rapture!"

bread's done
Back