Modern Warfare 2 has NO dedicated servers

miniMacGuru

CAGiversary!
I just noticed the rapidly growing thread on another forum that IW has announced that PC COD:MF2 will be matchmaking only! All multiplayer will go through their own IW.NET system. It would appear that Activision is trying to kill the custom map community, along with clan servers and what not. (Custom matchmaking does not a custom server make).

Anybody up for forced DLC purchases (if you want to keep playing multiplayer with any number of people)? Maybe we can even have paid map packs, just like the consoles!

Reference http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

[quote name='kilm']Kids are really passionate about this game, lol. Isn't COD rated M?[/QUOTE]

lol this is comedy.

PC games deserve their custom servers and maps... doing something like that to NOT support that makes it a console game. PC does NOT need that. CAN'T have that.

fuck Activision.

I was already on the fence about this game because I'm so friggen sick of re-hashed sequels and war games on top of that. NowI'll be waiting till this hits the bargain bin for sure.

[quote name='lordwow']Does anyone really not buy a game because it doesn't have dedicated servers?[/QUOTE]

Maybe not, but it makes me buy the console version instead.

[quote name='lordwow']Does anyone really not buy a game because it doesn't have dedicated servers?[/QUOTE]
It's more or less the last straw with MW2. Activision has just been shitting on customers all the way with this release and I think people have finally had enough. With the price-gouging, no collector's editions for PC, delayed PC release (in the UK so far), and now missing support for modders/clans it's enough to put many people off from buying it. The people who still do want to play it will just pirate a copy one week before release.

In fact, I hope MW2 becomes the most pirated game of all time to serve as a warning to publishers/developers who bite the hand that feeds.
[quote name='tokitoki50']Maybe not, but it makes me buy the console version instead.[/QUOTE]Exactly, I believe this was their plan all along. Due to piracy, they're trying to push console versions on people and it's pathetic. What they don't realize is if you cut off the head, the body will fall.

I wasn't interested in the game in the first place, but now I can talk about how lame it is for not having dedicated servers and how I'm not buying it.

Just wait till IW starts charging them for the downloadable map packs on the PC version. Then they will really flip the fuck out.

I was considering getting this, not anymore though. Now the decision I need to make is which version of Bad Company 2 to buy, PC or Xbox 360?

I remember a couple months after CoD4:MW's launch the community front, fourzerotwo, said they were astonished by the percent of legal v. illegal copies logging in so... did CoD4:MW have DRM as the ol' reliable hacker excuse?

You know I said when they charged 10 bucks more for the PC version. I said ok I'll have many hours of great online play on dedicated servers in my gaming community of choice. Now this is the last straw!!! Activision and IW can kiss my a**!!!! 60 bucks for a 5 hour single player campaign becuase multi-player is dead to me now!!! fuck you Activision and IW!!!! for doing your part to kill the PC gaming community!

side note
I ordered this on Amazon with ECA and a $30 trade in promotion. If (when!!!) I cancel and pre-order something else do I get both things back?

So to better understand the situation, I decided to do a little homework and find out why people were upset. I didn't realize that the loss of dedicated servers meant they were going with a blind matchmaking system, which is fucking awful. There's a pretty good write-up of what the change means to PC gamers here and it's already causing some server providers to cancel pre-orders for the game (such as Cubos in Australia).[quote name='Cubos']Given the recent and unfortunate news that Modern Warfare 2 will not have dedicated servers, we have had no decision but to cancel all pre-orders for the game. With the lack of a dedicated server for MW2, game server providers such as ourselves will be unable to provide services for this game to the community and we have therefore removed the game from our website.

For those who have not already heard this bad news, you may read more about it here:

games.on.net/

Should Infinity Ward decide to provide dedicated server support at some point in the future, we will contact you regarding this service becoming available again.
[/quote]
Apparently, Infinity Ward was even removing petitions from their forums in an effort to silence the community and then backpeddled once they realized it would bring the entire site into chaos. You know, when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

IW/Activision obviously don't know who they're fucking with.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']You know I said when they charged 10 bucks more for the PC version. I said ok I'll have many hours of great online play on dedicated servers in my gaming community of choice. Now this is the last straw!!! Activision and IW can kiss my a**!!!! 60 bucks for a 5 hour single player campaign becuase multi-player is dead to me now!!! fuck you Activision and IW!!!! for doing your part to kill the PC gaming community!

side note
I ordered this on Amazon with ECA and a $30 trade in promotion. If (when!!!) I cancel and pre-order something else do I get both things back?[/QUOTE]

Sadly, You won't get either of them. You should call them, get someone that speaks english, and make sure you substitute the order. You won't be able to keep those if you cancel, so your best bet is to call and replace that game.

[quote name='Jodou']So to better understand the situation, I decided to do a little homework and find out why people were upset. I didn't realize that the loss of dedicated servers meant they were going with a blind matchmaking system, which is fucking awful. There's a pretty good write-up of what the change means to PC gamers here and it's already causing some server providers to cancel pre-orders for the game (such as Cubos in Australia).
Apparently, Infinity Ward was even removing petitions from their forums in an effort to silence the community and then backpeddled once they realized it would bring the entire site into chaos. You know, when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

IW/Activision obviously don't know who they're fucking with.[/QUOTE]

PC elitists are known for a reason. Don't fuck with pc games.

Activision increasing pricing is a joke, and now with no servers... hilarious.

This game should fail so hard, but some will still buy it.

[quote name='tokitoki50']Maybe not, but it makes me buy the console version instead.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's the whole point. It can be surmised that the guaranteed community backlash will impact sales of Modern Warfare 2 on the PC. Then, based on the reduced sales numbers, IW can then blame the decline of PC gaming popularity and piracy for the lack of a PC version of the next Call of Duty game.

[quote name='xycury']PC games deserve their custom servers and maps... doing something like that to NOT support that makes it a console game. PC does NOT need that. CAN'T have that.

fuck Activision.[/QUOTE]

Actually, let's blame IW for this one:

When asked, Robert is very clear about the role Activision plays in the development of Modern Warfare 2 - “None”.

"Activision is the publisher and it is their job to handle the business side of the industry. They make sure to get all the games to the stores, worry about pricing and marketing. Infinity Ward is the one focusing on all the creative stuff. The collector editions we came up with are our own ideas and work. Only when the decision is made at Infinity Ward, Activision is contacted to work out all the logistics."

http://www.modernwarfare247.com/news/mw247-interview-with-robert-bowling

IW is so well-regarded that they've gotten a free pass from a lot of people, but hopefully this will put and end to the farce. They've become arrogant after Modern Warfare.

heh, most of my PC gaming time is spent on a community TF2 server.

PC gaming, for me at least, has always been about customization, modding, and community. Take those things away and you might as well buy the game on consoles instead. But maybe that's the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to wonder how much of Modern Warfare 2's new content can be gleaned from and placed into mods for CoD4. Dedicated servers don't bother me too much. But if they don't release a level-editor, or if there isn't any way to use custom maps, then I won't be buying.

It sounds like this has little to do with Activision and more with Infinity Ward trying to be "creative" in solving their little new-generation-of-players-don't-know-how-to-use-a-server-browser problem (which I think is crap. My dad doesn't know how to use a DVD player but can use a server browser in any FPS just fine...).

But here's a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUpZVnceJx4

I feel bad for PC owners and they don't deserve this sort of treatment. I'm tempted to cancel my preorder, but it's for the 360 Hardened Edition.

if there is no way to play HardCore mode only then i'll simply play the single player and flip the game on ebay after. It does suck but at the same time it doesnt bother me at all if IW wants to shoot themselves in the foot. In the end the numbers will speak the truth and im sure they'll tank.

It doesnt sound like a covert move to control the population but a general attempt to do something unique. Perhaps they want to unify the multiplayer of PCs and Consoles? Who knows. Unfortunetly its not a logical step in any direction.

If they push forward with it though i absolutely do believe PC users will be charged for content additions. 100%. I think that was made plain as day when they got cocky enough to bump the price up $10 for no good reason.

I am sure IW will be upset with the lost sales from PC when they are busy counting money from PS3 and Xbox 360 version. Too bad they dont care about the people who brought the original CoD and got them where they are now

[quote name='SageBigly']I'm buying the game :) For PC and my xbox. Really excited for it as well, day one(midnight release) for sure.[/QUOTE]

Why buy the PC version at all? The online experience will be exactly like Xbox Live except with about 2% of the total player count, if that.

[quote name='NTolerance']Why buy the PC version at all? The online experience will be exactly like Xbox Live except with about 2% of the total player count, if that.[/QUOTE]

I like PC controls Lol thats why I'm getting it for both. I mean I'll mostly be on xbox as I've friends on their from MW1 but i'll definitely wanna play on PC from time to time. I'm sure(regardless of what people are saying) Their will be plenty of people on the PC in time(if not as soon as it comes out)

When i first heard this it was very disappointing because i was sure I was going to buy the PC version over the console...but with this news there is no longer a point in buying the PC version if you have a console because like someone else said the experience is going to be very similar and there are going to be less people.

[quote name='NTolerance']Well, that's the whole point. It can be surmised that the guaranteed community backlash will impact sales of Modern Warfare 2 on the PC. Then, based on the reduced sales numbers, IW can then blame the decline of PC gaming popularity and piracy for the lack of a PC version of the next Call of Duty game.

Actually, let's blame IW for this one:

http://www.modernwarfare247.com/news/mw247-interview-with-robert-bowling

IW is so well-regarded that they've gotten a free pass from a lot of people, but hopefully this will put and end to the farce. They've become arrogant after Modern Warfare.[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks for that clarification!

fuck IW

I would think incorporating an option to select between match-up and dedicated would be more marketable. I guess I am wrong. No modern warfare 2 for me.

bread's done
Back