Gamecube or Xbox???

Journey

CAGiversary!
Hey all.........

Ok, here's a question..........I have a PS2 with about 50 games. I want to get another system, but can't decide and was wondering if I could get a little input.........so what do ya'll think.........

Gamecube or Xbox??

Thanks in advance.........

It depends upon the games you like. If you play online, get Xbox for sure. If you want more good adult oriented games, go for Xbox. If you just want some quality games and you dont care if they are cartoon looking or not adult oriented then get a Gamecube.

I have not played my GC in about 9 months because I just cant stand the lack of adult oriented games.

Also, if graphics matter to you a lot, Xbox has noticeablly better graphics. If you have an HDTV, Xbox gamss look plain out beautiful :)

Id say get an xbox period cause it is all around better IMO but the GC is not too bad either.

If you like fighting and sports games, dont go with the GC lol. Its controller is horrible for those types of games. The xbox is not the greatest for fighting either but better than GC. Xbox controller is great for sports games. If you like the 2K/ESPN series, dont go with GC cause Sega dont work with GC anymore.

Depends on your preferences.
Best ported third party titles, Best Online, Best asortment of FPS, Racing and sports games. Best use of memory (a hard drive). Alot of PC ports (both good and bad). Alot of other things come in second or arguabley first. The XBox started with alot of crappy exclusives, but the XSN sports are getting better by the day, and better third partys are making better games for the XBox.

Nintendo has the best wireless controller ever. Best first party titles. The best add on aka the GBA player and a decent selection of exclusives. They are slowly gaining more third party support as Konami and Namco are developing more titles for the Cube. But the main reason you'll buy a cube is to buy Nintendo titles.

Price wise the Gamecube is a better system, but the XBox's list of budget titles outweigh the Cubes and usually make up the difference in cost in the long run. Nintendo could easily fix this by making more players choice titles and having them at a set price of $19.99, rather then $19.99 and $29.99.

I say atleast buy a Cube for the first party titles, and go with a XBox if you have any interest in online gaming or have a crappy computer, or your a FPS and racing freak.

Heres a list of decent XBox Xclusive games. I'm not counting PC ports either, and Shenmue 2 is debatable depending on where you live.
1 - Brute Force
2 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer part ONE
3 - DOA3
4 - Deathrow
5 - DND Heroes
6 - Morrowind (PC)
7 - Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
8 - House of the Dead 3
9 - Jet Set Radio Future
10 - Gunvalkyrie
11 - Mech Assault
12 - Moto GP 1 & 2
13 - Midtown Madness 3
14 - Starwars KOTOR (PC)
15 - Steel Battalian
16 - Crimson Skies
17 - Top Spin
18 - Amped 2
19 - Ninja Gaiden
20 - Otogi
21 - Panzer Dragoon Orta
22 - Project Gotham Racing 1 & 2
Sega GT Online (?)

Future Xclusives that shouldn't dissapoint:
23 - Counter Strike (PC)
24 - Deus Ex (PC)
25 - Conker: Live and Uncut
26 - Jade Empire
27 - Fable
28 - Halo 2
29 - Kingdom under Fire
30 - Otogi 2
31 - Phantom Dust
32 - Perfect Dark Zero (In 2008 knowing Rare :p)
33 - Ralisport Challenge 2
34 - Spikeout Xtreme
35 - Starwars: Jedi Academy (PC)
36 - SB: Line of Contact
37 - True Fantasy Live
38 + - Any Rare game, Bioware game, Microsoft or Sega game that you may enjoy.

Theres almost 150 XBox exclusives to name if you don't count the PC games. I'll be working on a list again by the end of December if anyone is interested in it. These are just the games I would buy/give a try in if I had the money.

I already own 47 XBox games, and I will say the third party games that are out on other systems also take up my list. Theres also quite a few good live games that I didn't list. Also checkout gamerankings.com and they'll give you a run down on the top XBox games out there.

ok monsta........i was kinda being swayed towards the GC cause of the sweet deal on the zelda bundle, but that list you just posted is KILLIN me!!!

your makin this EXTREMELY hard.........lol

Well...I've owned both an Xbox and a Gamecube since launch, so I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. However, going through EB's release lists between now and Christmas...if I had unlimited funds...this is what I'd be buying:

Xbox:
11/12 Legacy Of Kain: Defiance
11/12 Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines
11/17 Project Gotham Racing 2
11/17 Need For Speed Underground
11/18 Sega GT Online
11/21 Spawn Armageddon
11/25 Xbox Exhibition Volume 04
12/02 Deus Ex: Invisible War
12/02 Max Payne 2: Fall Of Max Payne
12/02 Unreal 2: The Awakening
12/15 Ninja Gaiden

GameCube:
11/17 Mario Kart Double Dash

I love my Cube, but my wish-list should be pretty telling right there. I know a couple of the titles I listed for Xbox are multi-system ports, but as a rule of thumb and a personal preference, I'll always grab the Xbox version.

the xbox is better suited for myself at least, I also own both of these systems. When I first purchased it I took the system over to a couple friends' places and ripped about 200 songs so I have a nice jukebox going. I have a fiber optic cable also running into my receiver so the sound I'm getting is great as well as a component connection (non hdtv) to my tv and the picture is very sharp. To this day Halo and KOTOR are some of the best games I've ever played, definately the 2 best that I've played in the last 5 years. The 3rd party titles are mostly better in quality on the xbox and xbox live is a very well put together service with alot of games to play online. Another nice bonus with the xbox is that there is no need for memory cards.

The GC is definately a bit easier on the wallet which appeals to every cheapass and there are some great 1st party titles, yeah you'll need a memory card but you can pick up a 251 block card at BB for $14.99 which isn't that bad and that should have enough space to last a while. There is unfortunately no online games (or should I say game) for the gc that you can't get for xbox. I am also not really looking forward to any gc games at this point with the exception of the metal gear solid remake and FFCC. That can easily change if they announce some more 1st party games though. I really enjoyed metroid prime and zelda, mario sunshine and pikmin are some other great games, the resident evil games are absolute works of art and with the gb player it expands the game library significantly allowing you to play all the old school favorites on the big screen once again and not a portable.

I'm looking forward to Halo 2 more than anything else right now, another zelda game however would certainly contend for the number 2 spot with Fable.

As others have said, much depends on the games you like. If you enjoy games like Super Smash Bros. Melee, Resident Evil, and Zelda, GC is really the way to go. Most X-box games are also on PS2 or PC. GameCube is definitely lighter on the wallet as the system is much cheaper.

Personally, I prefer GC (actually, I don't have XB or PS2 (yet on PS2)). There are a lot of quality exlcusive games for it. Obviously, if you're into online play you're not going to get it with GC, but then again I would recommend PC games over XB for that any day.

Anyway, since we're on CAG, I would say Zelda bundle ($80 Wal-Mart on black Friday) plus something cool to start that you haven't played on PS2, like Viewtiful Joe or Super Monkey Ball 1/2 or SSBM or something. All in all, try some different games out in the store before you buy (go to GS or EB or GameCrazy) to see what you prefer.

Hell, I have all three. Get both - they're going pretty cheap nowadays.

Used GC w/ GB player and SSBM, Zelda, etc. - About 180 bucks.

Xbox w/ SC, MechAssault, - 180 bucks at Walmart

Can't go wrong with either.

[quote name='Mulliga']Hell, I have all three. Get both - they're going pretty cheap nowadays.

Used GC w/ GB player and SSBM, Zelda, etc. - About 180 bucks.

Xbox w/ SC, MechAssault, - 180 bucks at Walmart

Can't go wrong with either.[/quote]

Agreed, More is Good!!!

Both would be the best bet. Depends on what you like. I pesonally have a GC and Im a tad disappiointed in it. I pretty much only use it when a new Mario or Zelda comes out.

Also keep in mind about the tunneling software available for the systems. Halo online for Xbox is what I spend most of my time playing (www.xbconnect.com). But keep in mind people are developing similar online software for Mario Kart Double Dash (www.warppipe.com).

Xbox is definitely developing into a strong system now in my opinion. You might want to consider just getting rid of your PS2 and use that money to get Xbox and GC, because Xbox has many (if not most) of PS2's games.

GameCube does have some of the best multiplayer games because they are the easiest to pick up and play when you have friends over.

You really can't go wrong with Xbox or GameCube, I really like both of them.

[quote name='SS4Brolly']Both would be the best bet. Depends on what you like. I pesonally have a GC and Im a tad disappiointed in it. I pretty much only use it when a new Mario or Zelda comes out.[/quote]

But when that Mario or Zelda or Viewtiful Joe-type game comes out, I'm personally glad I dropped 60-100 bucks on a Cube (actually I got the sucker at launch, but it wasn't my money :)...). Not to mention when great GBA games come out, I can play them on the TV like they were meant to be played.

This thread sure needs some Nintendo love.
It sounds like you've already made up your mind and most here have said Xbox, but at least let this Nintendo girl give you a few reasons why owning a GC is a good choice:

Mario Kart Double Dash (which may be online- capable soon)
Viewtiful Joe
Zelda
Mario (Smash Bros, Mario Party, Golf, possible Tennis in 04)
1080 Avalanche
Resident Evil series
Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Metal Gear Sold Twin Snakes
Tales of Symphonia (Namco RPG)
Pikmin 2
Skies of Arcadia (best RPG ever IMO)
Metroid
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero
Star Wars Rogue Squadron series
Soul Calibur II w/Link

These are just the exclusives. I didn't want to (and bore you) with upcoming releases that aren't available yet because who really knows if they'll be for the GC or N5. But it all depends on what type of games you like (and how much $ you have). Can't go wrong w/the Zelda bundle coming out in 3 days, especially if you can pick it up at Wal-Mart on Black Fri. for $79.

Oh good lord help me.............

Ok, I bought both........did I get a good deal?

game cube preowned with metroid prime and spiderman
xbox preowned with halo and DOA3

$250.00

I ordered them through the game informer website.

when I get these, my head is going to explode with gaming goodness.........

Thats a pretty good deal. Now just hope that your preowned Xbox still has some saves/music left on the harddrive :lol:

ok, not to beat a dead horse, but..............

What do you all think, in your opinions, are the "must have" games for each system (Xbox and Gamecube)?

I'm open to anything except football, baseball, and hockey games.

I think Nintendo games have a certain charm that PS2 and Xbox don't have. I highly recommend Mario Kart DD, Super Smash Bros Melee, Metroid Prime (my favorite video game ever), and Zelda. Those games are incredible and will definitely still be fun for years (I know because we still play N64 now). There really are no substitutes for those games on Xbox or PS2.

For GCN, I recommend SSBM, Rogue Squadron II, and Viewtiful Joe very highly. For X-box, I haven't played much, but from what I have played Jet Set Radio Future would be tops.

I like both, but I perfer Gamecube more. Gamecube has great Japanese games, Xbox has great American games. I like Japanese games more, that's why I perfer Gamecube.

Okay, I have all consoles, here are the must have:

Gamecube:
Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, Viewtiful Joe, Pikmin, Resident Evil, Mario Kart

Xbox:
Halo, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, KOTOR

Super Smash Bros. Melee is an absolute must-have for GCN owners. If you're into the Mario Bros. series, definitely consider Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine. Only look into Animal Crossing if you'd be willing to put in the time commitment needed - at least one sitting every day or two. Then, if you have more money to spend, pick up Pikmin and Super Monkey Ball.

I agree, Super Smash Bros Melee is the game to get for GC. I'm not so sure about Super Mario Sunshine though. I am a big fan of the Mario series but I found it disappointing. Its not a bad game, but I expected more for such an important franchise.

[quote name='video_gamer324']Super Smash Bros. Melee is an absolute must-have for GCN owners. If you're into the Mario Bros. series, definitely consider Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine. Only look into Animal Crossing if you'd be willing to put in the time commitment needed - at least one sitting every day or two. Then, if you have more money to spend, pick up Pikmin and Super Monkey Ball.[/quote]

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Well...I've owned both an Xbox and a Gamecube since launch, so I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. However, going through EB's release lists between now and Christmas...if I had unlimited funds...this is what I'd be buying:

Xbox:
11/12 Legacy Of Kain: Defiance
11/12 Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines
11/17 Project Gotham Racing 2
11/17 Need For Speed Underground
11/18 Sega GT Online
11/21 Spawn Armageddon
11/25 Xbox Exhibition Volume 04
12/02 Deus Ex: Invisible War
12/02 Max Payne 2: Fall Of Max Payne
12/02 Unreal 2: The Awakening
12/15 Ninja Gaiden

GameCube:
11/17 Mario Kart Double Dash

I love my Cube, but my wish-list should be pretty telling right there. I know a couple of the titles I listed for Xbox are multi-system ports, but as a rule of thumb and a personal preference, I'll always grab the Xbox version.[/quote]

i would have more fun with double dash than all of those xbox games combined

plus the person asking has a ps2 which most of those xbox games are already comming out for

get the cube

Yes, but Shenmue II or I will eat your children.

Shenmue II > Every other Xbox/Gamecube game. Well, maybe Zelda:OoT, but that doesnt really count.

My must-have GC games list:

Animal Crossing (be willing to give up your life for a while!)
Zelda Wind Waker
Pikmin
Mario Kart DD
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Resident Evil
Eternal Darkness

It helps to know what type of game you like; RPG, sports, action/adventure, racing...

[quote name='punqsux']i would have more fun with double dash than all of those xbox games combined

plus the person asking has a ps2 which most of those xbox games are already comming out for

get the cube[/quote]

A little late there, slick. He posted yesterday he already bought both the Xbox and Cube after finding a good deal for both. Oh, and by the way...7.9. That's all I'm gonna say.

SS4 is right. Shenmue 2 is a pure work of art and is the best experience with a game I have had this generation. Its story is captivating, but if you have not played the first one I reccommend buying a DC and playing that game first.

Besides for Shenmue 2 Halo and Metal Gear Solid 2:Substance are right up there(Substance is way better than Splinter Cell in my opinion because of all the large gunfights)

for the GCN SSBM is the best hands down. I had spent over 300 hours and gotten 281 trophies before I lost my memory card, and I have like 120 of those now. In most cases I would have never touched the game but SSBM is just so good replaying something over and over does not get boring

Playing XBox with a bunch of friends never gets boring, if you're playing by yourself...well, lets just say Xbox is more of a mutliplayer system
:lol:

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'] Oh, and by the way...7.9. That's all I'm gonna say.[/quote]

hahahaha omgz teh 7point9 i cannnnnnot buyit now, must suxxk

I'd say get GC.
If you didn't have PS2, I'd say get Xbox, but since you already have PS2 and 50(!) games for it, GC will be nice addition.
Killer pricing and all those nintendo games... man... Xbox is nice, but I think GC will be better for you.

pungsux, nice one!
One person (not a group of reviewers) at IGN, Fran, gave MKDD a 7.9.
Check out these 3 reviews:

Game Pro 5/5 Editor's Choice
EGM 10/10/9.5
Game Now A+
Famitsu 36/40 Gold Award

And read what people have to say about it that have played it. Everyone, with the exception of Fran, seem to love the game.

[quote name='NintendoFanGirl']pungsux, nice one!
One person (not a group of reviewers) at IGN, Fran, gave MKDD a 7.9.
Check out these 3 reviews:

Game Pro 5/5 Editor's Choice
EGM 10/10/9.5
Game Now A+
Famitsu 36/40 Gold Award

And read what people have to say about it that have played it. Everyone, with the exception of Fran, seem to love the game.[/quote]

Heh...not everyone...Ryan Davis of Gamespot gave it a 7.9 as well.

But seriously, I'm just fuckin' with you guys. A 7.9 isn't a bad score. Don't be so easily baited...

I love my Cube and my Xbox and I've had them both since their launches. I own 14 titles for Cube, 17 titles for Xbox. I will admit though, reading what the lower reviews had to say will certainly make me rent MKDD instead of buying it right away.

I usually trust gamespot's ratings. They have seem to have higher standards for games and aren't so readily giving out 9's.

9 is a rating for one of the best of the best and there simply can't be that many games that can qualify for it.

IGN is notorious for score inflation. I don't trust them at all. Gamespot is pretty good about score give or take. I wouldn't listen to the score for Mario Kart Double Dash. Hell, people gave Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros for N64 pretty bad scores but those are the best games for N64.

[quote name='SS4Brolly']I more or less trust EGM when it comes to buying a new game. I wouldnt trust IGN at all however.[/quote]

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'] Oh, and by the way...7.9. That's all I'm gonna say.[/quote]

hahahaha omgz teh 7point9 i cannnnnnot buyit now, must suxxk[/quote]

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: Gamespot doesn't like GameCube. They give almost all the big GameCube games lower scores than any other website/publication. So I always take their review scores with a grain of salt.

[quote name='snoser']Playing XBox with a bunch of friends never gets boring, if you're playing by yourself...well, lets just say Xbox is more of a mutliplayer system
:lol:[/quote]

Online multiplayer yes, in-person multiplayer no way. What X-box games can compare with SSBM, Super Monkey Ball 1-2, F-Zero GX, etc.?

Mario Kart is the same game it's always been with prettier graphics and another guy in the back of the kart. Wupie ding. While it's probably the ONLY game I'd get for Gamecube in the next month or two, it's still not something to geek out over. I give it a month before people starting posting about how much of a letdown it was, like they usually do with Nintendo first party games (see : Super Mario Sunshine).

[quote name='elprincipe']Online multiplayer yes, in-person multiplayer no way. What X-box games can compare with SSBM, Super Monkey Ball 1-2, F-Zero GX, etc.?[/quote]

HALO.

That's all that needs to be said.

I just wanted to say thank you to all the people that responded to my question.

Now I know what to try out.......It may put a dent in my wallet, but hey, everyones gotta have a hobby.

besides, video games are like crack to me and I'm freaken addicted.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='elprincipe']Online multiplayer yes, in-person multiplayer no way. What X-box games can compare with SSBM, Super Monkey Ball 1-2, F-Zero GX, etc.?[/quote]

HALO.

That's all that needs to be said.[/quote]

Well put. When your "best game" is Halo, that really does say a lot.

[quote name='mmn']I give it a month before people starting posting about how much of a letdown it was, like they usually do with Nintendo first party games (see : Super Mario Sunshine).[/quote]

Please don't speak for me, because you don't.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='elprincipe']Online multiplayer yes, in-person multiplayer no way. What X-box games can compare with SSBM, Super Monkey Ball 1-2, F-Zero GX, etc.?[/quote]

HALO.

That's all that needs to be said.[/quote]

I don't want to get into an argument, so I will just politely disagree. :p

Halo, you mean the one fun game that's available on X-box, the one that's not even an exclusive cause I can pop it in my PC right now?
I actually own the PS2 & Cube. I am saving for an X-Box. Halo will be one of my first purchases. I prefer my Cube over the PS2 . I can only hope that Halo 2 doesn't suck cause I think if it does alot of Xbox owners who have waited along time are gonna be pissed and jump ship.

bread's done
Back