Torchlight (10/27/09) - Anybody else interested in this?

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
http://www.torchlightgame.com/

I've known about this game for a while, but haven't looked into much until recently. It's from the guys who worked on Mythos (the other game from Flagship that wasn't crappy) and a couple of other devs who worked on Diablo/Diablo 2 and it's looking pretty sweet.

I mean, just read what this game has (taken from web site):

• Randomization – Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure.
  • Easy, approachable interface – Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world.
  • Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters.
  • Pets – Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services.
  • Character Classes – Players will create and customize a character and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different.
  • Fishing – Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
  • Editor – Runic Games is embracing our modding community by providing an editor so our players can create and design their own content.
All for $20. $18 if you pre-order on steam (link).

Here are some videos:
From what I understand, they're releasing the single player portion in preparation for an MMO release, which you can't bring your character over from the single player portion (makes sense). Don't know many other details other than that.

I just wonder if they'll have a new game+ mode like hell/nightmare difficulty in Diablo 2 to go along with that Retirement system.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Looks like Diablo. Looks interesting enough and looks like it'll be low system requirements (hopefully).

They'll probably do the MMO portion with micro transactions. I don't see it as subscription...

[quote name='strikeratt']Looks good ... only single player though? I loved diablo with a friend or 7 ... :D[/QUOTE]

May be SP only, but they are working on MMO version. Besides, it's only $18 :), but I suppose that won't stop me from wishing there was multiplayer in it. Then it'd be a definite no-brainer.

Already got it preordered on Steam. Was hideously disappointed by the gameplay videos of Borderlands, but this is looking and sounding quite awesome. Since I preferred playing Diablo 1 and 2 by myself anyway, I'm looking forward to it quite a bit. Plus the editor sounds impressive, so hopefully there'll be a good modding community attached.

Yeah, I'd be all over this if it was multiplayer, without the MMO. Not interested in subscription fees or microtransactional BS, and not interested in a game I can't just fire up and host a session with a friend.

I'm not waiting for D3, either. They lost me when they started REQUIRING Battle.Net. We never have internet connections at LAN parties. What a dick move.

I've pre-ordered.

As far as MP goes - I figure every sale of the SP game they have will boost their reknown, helping along their MMO project :D

I want to get this day 1...but Im not positive if my videocard can handle it....can someone tell me.

System Requirements for TorchLight (found via Steam)

• Processor: x86-compatible 800MHz processor
    • Memory: 512MB
    • Graphics: DirectX-compatible 3D graphics with at least 64MB of addressable memory (such as an ATI Radeon 7200, NVIDIA GeForce 2, or Intel GMA 950)
    • DirectX®: 9.0c
    • Hard Drive: 400MB

Here are my Videocard stats (Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family)
DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 1013 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 251 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 157 MB
Processor: x86 family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Speed: 1596 MHZ

Thanks guys

[quote name='Poor2More']I want to get this day 1...but Im not positive if my videocard can handle it....can someone tell me.

• Graphics: DirectX-compatible 3D graphics with at least 64MB of addressable memory (such as an ATI Radeon 7200, NVIDIA GeForce 2, or Intel GMA 950)

Thanks guys[/QUOTE]

Honestly I'd bet it would work, but head over to their forums, register and post your question. The mods and I would say 95% of the regulars there are good folks, and you'll probably get an answer quickly. I do know that they designed the game specifically to run on old and new hardware alike.

I hope the modding community takes to the game also with the amount of modding they are allowing.

I just wish the game released today.

[quote name='Poor2More']I want to get this day 1...but Im not positive if my videocard can handle it....can someone tell me.

Thanks guys[/QUOTE]

The Intel 965 you have is the newer DirectX 10 version of the old Intel GMAs. It's not great, but if they are saying a GeForce 2 will run this game, you should have no problem at all.

If you're running Vista, you have better than a Geforce 2.

Seriously, Geforce 2 was the shit back in the Win 98/ME days. You're good.

This is now available. Looks like it could be good. I'm not digging the character design, but that is easily overlooked. I might get this if it were available at retail.

[quote name='strikeratt']Anyone else have anything to say about this game? I'm interested but would like to know more[/QUOTE]

I played about 6 hours last night (Lvl 20 Destroyer) and i'm having a great time so far. It's very much an exact replica of Diablo with a few added little features and tweaks.

The pet is really cool. You can give your pet 2 spells (you can have 4) and it'll cast them pretty much all the time. Right now I have my pet cat Peppers shooting fireballs and casting a spell on himself that gives him life steal for a brief time.

A few things though:

1) If you're an experienced Action RPG/Hack n Slash player, start a game on Hard. I started one on normal and it's a cake walk. I think I've only died twice. And the rare and unique items seem to be dropping all the time.
2) Spend skill points wisely, I don't think there is a reset skill points option.
3) There's a fishing mini-game in which you catch different fish (duh). You can then feed a fish to your pet and your pet will turn into a different animal for a short time (5 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the fish). On one of the load screens, it says that each animal has different abilities/strengths/weaknesses. But there doesn't seem to be any info on any of those animals. Even when your pet is that animal, I can't find any info on it's current abilities/strengths/weaknesses.
4) Doesn't display your current buffs/debuffs. Have to keep track of that yourself.

Besides those minor things, the game is a lot of fun. Killing and looting is just as fun here as it was when you first played diablo. And when you get a critical hit that kills a dude, it's super satisfying.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Ah, thank you! And how is respec-ing cheating? I would think it's a normal Action RPG feature nowadays.[/QUOTE]

I think normally the pot is SUPER DUPER rare to the point that it's only reasonably possible to receive if you mess around the console and give it to yourself. When you mess around the console like that, your char is labeled "cheater" and you can't access your account stash.

It was probably exactly like you said that made them put this in, lol

I'm going to give this game a try. I didn't really enjoy Diablo 2, but I bet I will enjoy this, since the Graphics are updated and stuff. :D

Played the demo yesterday and loved it. Thinking I will have to buy this at some point in the near future, maybe closer to the Holidays. Really fun, I like how the pets are very useful and not just meatbags sent to die.

I'm enjoying the game quite thoroughly. My destroyer is lvl 13 or 14 I think, has a decent amount of rares and a few uniques - yes, I'm playing Easy, but I always work through the difficulties with games :D

Demo is tons of fun. I know $20 is cheap, but being a CAG and all, not cheap enough yet. :roll: Giving it some time to get player created content out there and it will be even better.

[quote name='Nyxaz']Demo is tons of fun. I know $20 is cheap, but being a CAG and all, not cheap enough yet. :roll: Giving it some time to get player created content out there and it will be even better.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I can't knock you for being a CAG and waiting for a weekend deal, but this game is an absolute steal at $20. 35 floors of the dungeon and an unending dungeon unlocks after you beat the game.

Also the skill trees for each of the 3 classes are VERY different:
Torchlight Insider: Skill Calculator

And of course, once the editor is released (should be this week), and by early next year there'll be tons of user created levels. I'm betting somebody's going to make the original Diablo.

I guess this game is click on enemy and hold down? Like Diablo?

I'm not sure if I'd enjoy that kind of game any more, as it seems too... passive? Does it have puzzle solving or anything else to keep my brain occupied?

[quote name='Gourd']I guess this game is click on enemy and hold down? Like Diablo?

I'm not sure if I'd enjoy that kind of game any more, as it seems too... passive? Does it have puzzle solving or anything else to keep my brain occupied?[/QUOTE]

I haven't found anything mind-blowing yet puzzle-wise, but there are some hidden areas, or areas you have to hit multiple levers, etc to activate.

The fan-made content could potentially be chock-full of puzzles. It's all up to us/them :D

Runic did a great job ... and I would normally reward this level of effort by a developer except this is the same (failed) model attempted when these guys were at Flagship (free to play MMOs ftl...) I just can't bring myself to support companies trying to cram this format down the US game buying public
from the Runic boards FAQ ...

2) Then what is this Torchlight Multiplayer I keep hearing about?

The Torchlight MMO is a separate game from the Torchlight ARPG that has already been released. It will be a free-to-play + online shop MMO game set in the Torchlight world. This will be an MMO, and thus multiplayer. This is not a multiplayer mod to the Torchlight ARPG and you will not be able to carry over your current Torchlight character into the MMO version.

3) What is a free-to play MMO? Don't MMOs have a monthly fee?

A free-to-play MMO is free to download and play. The way the game makes money is by selling things (some select things, not everything) for real money in game. These may be potions that increase your exp gain for a duration, items, mounts, etc. (These are just examples and to my knowledge there has been no confirmation from Runic about what exactly will be sold in the Torchlight shop. Shopping at the store is optional, and you can play the game without doing it. There will be no monthly recurring fee to play the game.

I despise F2P MMOs as well but as a single player experience this game sounds freaking awesome so soon as i can spare the scatch count me in.

[quote name='SEH']I absolutely despite F2P MMO's that rely on stupid micro-transactions for EVERYTHING. I'll pass.[/QUOTE]

I agree but if they do it correctly I won't have an issue with it. For example I would happily pay $5-10 once for a larger shared stash or a couple extra character slots.

Played 2:30 worth of the demo on my desktop and am downloading it onto my laptop to give it a try. It would be great if this game was on Steam Cloud or server-based so I could play the same character on both.

Anyone care to comment on how a "retired" hero can be used to boost another character or something? I read about this feature and am interested...

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Anyone care to comment on how a "retired" hero can be used to boost another character or something? I read about this feature and am interested...[/QUOTE]

Once you retire a character, you can no longer use that character and you can choose ONE item to transfer over to a newly made character. This one item will have enhanced stats (and I believe a slightly lower level requirement), so your next char will be buffed up in that way.

So if you find a WTF PWNAGE weapon or armor, it will become even more WTF PWNAGE. And if you do it multiple times with the same item...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kilm']Once you retire a character, you can no longer use that character and you can choose ONE item to transfer over to a newly made character. This one item will have enhanced stats (and I believe a slightly lower level requirement), so your next char will be buffed up in that way.

So if you find a WTF PWNAGE weapon or armor, it will become even more WTF PWNAGE. And if you do it multiple times with the same item...[/QUOTE]
That's pretty cool.

I want to give this to my brother as a gift for Christmas, he loves Diablo.

Is there anyway I can put it on a disc or my external harddrive for him as I don't think he has that great of an internet speed?

I thought I saw you could gift this online, but I can't find the link now... Might just give him the code or access and he'll just have to be patient for it to DL if I can't save it here myself.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I want to give this to my brother as a gift for Christmas, he loves Diablo.

Is there anyway I can put it on a disc or my external harddrive for him as I don't think he has that great of an internet speed?

I thought I saw you could gift this online, but I can't find the link now... Might just give him the code or access and he'll just have to be patient for it to DL if I can't save it here myself.[/QUOTE]

D2D is going to have a sale in a few days on it, just FYI.

[quote name='NamPaehc']
[/QUOTE]

I downloaded and played the demo direct from Ruinic. As I recall, it uses a downloader, but once you get the big install file, you can copy it, move it around etc. Once you have the demo installed, if you have a purchased code, you can just enter it and your demo install turns into the full game.

I've been playing this for a little over a week and while it does bring back some old memories of Diablo II, it has quite few new things. The ability to play sessions that can be as short as an hour is a must and this game allows that.

Currently playing an Alchemist/summoner 26 lvl and just realized my pet can cast spells (duh).

Does anyone have a complete set yet? I have 2 pieces of Dragon Slayer (breast plate and helm) and wonder if it's worth the hunt.

I wish this had multiplayer so I could get friends interested in it too, but as is the single player is very fun for me.

bread's done
Back